DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-20-09, 09:10 PM   #126
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

Dx normally I agree with the epsn downhill philosophy but am gonna have to disagree with you at least on PTI the first segment was Denver which was mostly again about the shock that Denver is any good. The next 3 segments were about baseball and when does it actually matter which story is the lead anyways there is way to much thought on which is first up like people are only watching the first 2 minutes or something.
Old 10-20-09, 09:14 PM   #127
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1 View Post
Dx normally I agree with the epsn downhill philosophy but am gonna have to disagree with you at least on PTI the first segment was Denver which was mostly again about the shock that Denver is any good. The next 3 segments were about baseball and when does it actually matter which story is the lead anyways there is way to much thought on which is first up like people are only watching the first 2 minutes or something.
I agree that the Denver being good story is important, but it's importance isn't as much as 2 MLB playoffs game that ended on the last at bat the same night. I think it should have been the 3 baseball stories first and then the Denver MNF game.
Old 10-20-09, 09:48 PM   #128
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if another network could just do a Sportscenter to compete with ESPN? CNN tried it about 10-15 years ago, with CNNSI, but it didn't last, so that may answer my question.

I can't help but wonder everytime I watch something on ESPN, "Are they just showing sports highlights, or are they just showing sports with the hint of promoting their programming?" And when I see the Denver/SD Monday Night game as this huge story OVER 2 walk-off wins in the MLB League Championship Series, again I think I have my answer.

It is only natural that a network will promote their programming, since they are in it to make money, so I can't call them dumb for doing that. I would just love for network to have a sportscenter who just showed sports highlights like we all want to see instead of seeing Brett Favre, LeBron James, The Yankees, and Notre Dame being the story over everything else.
Old 10-20-09, 10:31 PM   #129
Banned

CNNSI was supposed to be this alternative as well as Fox Sports. CNNSI completely failed because of all the ineptitude that comes with Time Warner/AOL being a parent company and FOX Sports hasn't even come close to being a true alternative.
Old 10-20-09, 11:26 PM   #130
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kind of like final score but don't watch it much. Honestly most of my sports time is espnnews
Old 10-20-09, 11:42 PM   #131
DVD Talk Godfather

Fox Sports had their own news thing when all the regional channels first came out, but it seemed like they gave that up pretty quickly. On the Fox Sports channels here they don't even have a real recap/highlight show.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-21-09, 07:28 AM   #132
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Every fucking show today, including PTI and Around the Horn started with talk about the Broncos' win last night instead of the amazing MLB playoffs games. This is fucking ridiculous. In what world a regular season MNF game takes precedence over 2 MLB playoffs game that were won in the last at bat? Oh! I forgot that ESPN is not televising the playoffs.
I went over this in the PTI thread. Regular season football is more important now than postseason baseball - plus you had a team play in an exciting MNF game move to 6-0.

This phenomenon is not just ESPN. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. Hell, look at the Sunday night ratings for L.A. The SNF game on NBC beat the Dodger game. And why even care what comes first - it all got talked about in the first part of PTI.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-21-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 09:42 AM   #133
DVD Talk God

Monday's ratings:

Denver/SD MNF - 9.6
Philly/L.A. NLCS - 4.4
N.Y./L.A. ALCS - 6.0
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-21-09, 09:58 AM   #134
Banned

I don't agree with you that ratings should matter that much in what is important in the news world. Are we to believe that if the next 2 weekends of football games get higher ratings than the World Series, then that makes it more important? News are supposed to be based on historic importance and relevance and there is no way that a regular season football game is more important than postseason baseball, unless something truly historic and newsworthy happened at the football game.

By your train of thought, Super Bowl is more important or newsworthy than when George W Bush said that they were going to invade Iraq, just because more people saw one than the other.
Old 10-21-09, 10:12 AM   #135
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Are we to believe that if the next 2 weekends of football games get higher ratings than the World Series, then that makes it more important? News are supposed to be based on historic importance and relevance and there is no way that a regular season football game is more important than postseason baseball, unless something truly historic and newsworthy happened at the football game.

By your train of thought, Super Bowl is more important or newsworthy than when George W Bush said that they were going to invade Iraq, just because more people saw one than the other.
Well, yes - that does signify its more important overall in American sports fandom. More people care about one thing than the other. It doesn't have to signify that it's more important to a single individual such as yourself.

Do you think if the Stanley Cup or NBA Finals was going on now, that should get top-billing over the NFL?

News isn't based on historical importance. At least it isn't nowadays. It's based on what news outlets deem will be of interest to viewers. Look at how much coverage that ballon boy got on the major news outlets. Now that may be sad and sinking to the lowest common denominator, but that's the way it is.

You can't compare sporting events to politics. But to many folks, the Super Bowl is more important than American foreign policy.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-21-09 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 03:34 PM   #136

Quote:
I don't agree with you that ratings should matter that much in what is important in the news world. News are supposed to be based on historic importance and relevance and there is no way that a regular season football game is more important than postseason baseball, unless something truly historic and newsworthy happened at the football game.
I think this is incorrect. News, like all TV, is now based on ratings. Ratings drive advertising $$ and outlets will report stories that they have determined will have the largest following. It is in their best interest.
Old 10-21-09, 03:49 PM   #137
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermj View Post
News, like all TV, is now based on ratings. Ratings drive advertising $$ and outlets will report stories that they have determined will have the largest following. It is in their best interest.
Well said. That's the bottom line here.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 10-21-09, 03:50 PM   #138
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Monday's ratings:

Denver/SD MNF - 9.6
Philly/L.A. NLCS - 4.4
N.Y./L.A. ALCS - 6.0
I had figured ratings were higher for Football but didn't want to mention it since I couldn't find numbers at the time.

I do think if it was the World Series itself it would take precedence.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-21-09, 03:57 PM   #139
DVD Talk God

The WS can take precedence if you have (unfortunately) the Yanks involved or if it gets to a Game 7. There's no SNF during the WS, but MNF does go head to head with Game 5 so that will be a good measure. If you get a Yanks/Phils WS, game 5 will probably win because you have 2 top-5 markets out of play for MNF and while MNF is a very good matchup (ATL/NO), it's not 2 traditionally big-draw teams.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-21-09, 04:01 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Was it poor ratings that drove much of baseball postseason coverage to TBS. Or did the move to TBS result in poor(er) ratings? As part of my cable package, I get ESPN but don't get TBS so I was forced into watching MNF for example, which wouldn't have been my first choice.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 10-21-09, 04:04 PM   #141
DVD Talk God

It was a combination of dropping ratings (that it's not worth it to the broadcast networks) and TBS outbidding Disney (ESPN). ESPN also has major college football commitments in October.

I can't believe that TBS is not part of the same tier as ESPN. I figured TBS was as universal as ESPN.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-21-09, 06:15 PM   #142
Banned

I think now would have been the right time for FOXSPORTS to hit the airwaves instead of years ago when ESPN was at it's peak.
Old 10-21-09, 06:51 PM   #143
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No message

Last edited by coli; 10-22-09 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 10:36 PM   #144

For me, it went downhill when they changed NFL Primetime. Say what you will about Chris Berman, but I didn't miss 1 week of the show when it was him and Tom Jackson. TJ knows his stuff and CB brought the funny (with the names). And yes, he was funny with the names. Now it's 3 or 4 guys (and I can't stand Trey Wingo), and has become unwatchable.
Old 10-22-09, 10:42 PM   #145
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlong View Post
For me, it went downhill when they changed NFL Primetime. Say what you will about Chris Berman, but I didn't miss 1 week of the show when it was him and Tom Jackson. TJ knows his stuff and CB brought the funny (with the names). And yes, he was funny with the names. Now it's 3 or 4 guys (and I can't stand Trey Wingo), and has become unwatchable.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Why do these shows need to add a zillion pundits??? You have Cris Carter and Keyshawn to start with, and that makes me change the channel within seconds.

Sometimes less is more.
Old 10-23-09, 06:28 AM   #146
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with a lot said here but I think most of you would agree the segment yesterday with Jackie Mac on PTI about her new book was great. They just scrapped the third segment for it and I know it's a story because of the book but it's still something not on anyones radar right now, and it made me remember why I liked PTI in the first place because they seemed to do what they wanted regardless of the network norm.
Old 10-23-09, 08:29 AM   #147
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I agree with a lot said here but I think most of you would agree the segment yesterday with Jackie Mac on PTI about her new book was great. They just scrapped the third segment for it and I know it's a story because of the book but it's still something not on anyones radar right now, and it made me remember why I liked PTI in the first place because they seemed to do what they wanted regardless of the network norm.
I wouldn't know because I fast forwarded through all seven minutes of it along with the two minutes of the opening segment. Is it really that big of a news story that two long retired stars are not getting along? All I could think was that ESPN was doing everything they could to give Jackie Mac's book a push.
Old 10-23-09, 08:33 AM   #148
DVD Talk God

They did seem to spend an awful amount of time on that. 2 1/2 minutes at the front of the show and the long Jackie segment. I think it's a somewhat interesting story (and I was a big NBA fan at that time), but it seemed like overkill to me. I would have much rather seen a Report Card segment than spend 3-4 extra minutes with Jackie.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-23-09, 08:59 AM   #149
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Sportscenter did a segment about the book this morning.
Old 10-23-09, 03:01 PM   #150
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
I wouldn't know because I fast forwarded through all seven minutes of it along with the two minutes of the opening segment. Is it really that big of a news story that two long retired stars are not getting along? All I could think was that ESPN was doing everything they could to give Jackie Mac's book a push.
I did think it was a push for her book but it was still interesting anyways and for me it is a story because I loved the NBA back then and honestly I don't know if I can over go back to that feeling about the NBA and really it sort of puts a damper on my memories. I do agree though it is a generational story and one they wouldn't normally do.