DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-26-09, 12:36 PM   #101
Banned

Re: Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

This Lebron ass kissing is really getting out of hand. Really, what's the point of this? How does this help promote the NBA playoffs in any way?

Old 05-26-09, 01:08 PM   #102
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjoe View Post
I don't really disagree with anything you just said, but do find it funny to think that "The Mouse" is screwing over the Orlando MAGIC, the team of the Magic Kingdom and Disney World.
I know, right?

This is the same mouse that put Horace Grant goggles on their water tower.

On another point, who the hell decided to call Kobe Bryant the "Black Mamba"? Seriously, did Vitamin Water make that up?
Old 05-26-09, 01:27 PM   #103
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't he just show up one day and say "this is my new nickname"? It's painfully stupid.
Old 05-26-09, 02:57 PM   #104
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I know, right?

This is the same mouse that put Horace Grant goggles on their water tower.

On another point, who the hell decided to call Kobe Bryant the "Black Mamba"? Seriously, did Vitamin Water make that up?
He had that name after the raping accusations.
Old 05-28-09, 04:35 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjoe View Post
I don't really disagree with anything you just said, but do find it funny to think that "The Mouse" is screwing over the Orlando MAGIC, the team of the Magic Kingdom and Disney World.
I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. I remember the Horace Grant googles on the Mouse Tower, too. Those were the days.

I barely watch traditional ESPN anymore. I just watch ESPNews for 30 minutes, get the info I need, and move on. And even that's a chore with all those scrolling scorelines. Talk about an eyesore.

As for Kobe's nickname, I think he gave it to himself because his game is so lethal. Or something along those silly lines.
Old 05-28-09, 07:35 PM   #106
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pharoh, I hope you have fun at the game... Until the end of course
Old 05-30-09, 05:36 AM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sportscenter starts their baseball highlights this morning with.........The Yankees game and then the RedSox game! If I wasn't a big baseball fan, I would have thought that there was one division in Baseball.....The AL East. This is why Sportscenter/ESPN has gone downhill, IMO.
Old 05-30-09, 09:22 AM   #108
DVD Talk Limited Edition

combine all of this with all of the commercial breaks they seem to have, which get really annoying.
Old 05-30-09, 04:32 PM   #109

With MLB Network's excellent coverage I don't tune to ESPN for baseball highlights.
Old 05-30-09, 07:44 PM   #110
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy View Post
With MLB Network's excellent coverage I don't tune to ESPN for baseball highlights.
Same here for all 4 sports with me

I only tune into ESPNews in the morning just to catch up as to what is going on in sports, and if there anything major that happened the night before. I like to tune into Sportscenter once in a while just to see how bias they are towards certain teams, so I can get a laugh. But for highlights, I love the NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL Channel!
Old 05-30-09, 07:48 PM   #111
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy View Post
this is the only correct answer. mlb network absolutely rapes espn in regards to mlb content.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-31-09, 07:01 AM   #112
Banned

Funny to see how immediately after the Cavs loss, ESPN has taken down all the Lebron/Kobe ads.

Old 05-31-09, 07:35 AM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have they cancelled the NBA Finals because the Cavs got eliminated?
Old 05-31-09, 09:02 AM   #114
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Have they cancelled the NBA Finals because the Cavs got eliminated?
I was going to ask if there were any suicides reported in Bristol last night.

I guess it speaks positive to the NBA - the fix wasn't in.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-31-09, 04:26 PM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I was going to ask if there were any suicides reported in Bristol last night.

I guess it speaks positive to the NBA - the fix wasn't in.
If both teams wore their home jerseys during the same game--would both teams win? Thats one reason the NBA doesn't play neutral site games-the refs wouldn't know who to favor.
Old 06-01-09, 08:57 PM   #116
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the animated ad they've been using on their tickers on ESPN and ESPN2 advertising the NBA Finals was bad. Then this morning I turn on ESPN2HD to find a 4x3 image during a studio show that should be in HD because the right side of the 16x9 frame is filled with another ad for the NBA Finals (coverage of which begins Thursday @ 8:30pm ET on ABC, BTW). Absolutely ridiculous. ESPN really sucks.
Old 06-01-09, 09:23 PM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
I thought the animated ad they've been using on their tickers on ESPN and ESPN2 advertising the NBA Finals was bad. Then this morning I turn on ESPN2HD to find a 4x3 image during a studio show that should be in HD because the right side of the 16x9 frame is filled with another ad for the NBA Finals (coverage of which begins Thursday @ 8:30pm ET on ABC, BTW). Absolutely ridiculous. ESPN really sucks.
That crap started with the ticker at the bottom, then later they added a "rundown" of the events they were covering. So the high definition is being used to fill up the screen with more information, not show the program in more detail.

Another thing this afternoon was that Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic hosted SportsCenter. Now, I actually like Mike and Mike the show, but during this SC they were giving their picks for the Finals and having debates. I thought SC was supposed to be about just reporting what was happening in sports, not providing commentary like the shows that preceded it for two hours or more. There is plenty of time for analysis on their show in the mornings.
Old 06-01-09, 10:52 PM   #118
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Another thing this afternoon was that Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic hosted SportsCenter. Now, I actually like Mike and Mike the show, but during this SC they were giving their picks for the Finals and having debates. I thought SC was supposed to be about just reporting what was happening in sports, not providing commentary like the shows that preceded it for two hours or more. There is plenty of time for analysis on their show in the mornings.
If you want real sports news the 6 pm SportsCenter is not it--that's reserved for the 11 pm and 1 am shows that recap all the sports events of the day.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 06-02-09, 07:19 AM   #119
DVD Talk God

During my PTI recording (I pad into SC to get the big finish), I noticed M&M were doing SC, thought of this thread, and laughed.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 06-04-09, 12:21 AM   #120

whats up with espns love for green day? everytime they play music in the background its always green day... this isnt' a bad thing cause i like green day.. i was just wondering why they always play there music.
Old 06-06-09, 09:29 AM   #121
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really think the big change came after Olberman/Kilborn made Sportscenter entertaining, and then EVERY newscaster tried to copy it.

Olberman/Kilborn did the late Sportscenter (1:00AM I believe?) and for that time of night, it was great that they put some personality and sarcasm in sports. I remember being in College, coming home drunk and they sort of catered to that demographic.

ESPN originally had guys like Bob Ley, Tom Mees, guys had personality, but weren't over the top, and it worked for prime time Sportscenter. Now Chris Berman was the exception, but he was the 'dean' of Sportscenter, so he could do whatever he wanted. Now every Sportscenter is like the Olberman/Kilborn days as it seems like it is a theatrical production rather then a highlight show.

IMO
Old 08-04-09, 06:33 PM   #122
Banned

ESPN sent a memo to all of their reporters that they can't Tweet anymore unless it serves ESPN. What?

Has anyone done any type of research of how many times Sportcenter starts their with either Yankees, Red Sox, TO, Brett Farve or steroid "news"?
Old 08-04-09, 06:39 PM   #123
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
ESPN sent a memo to all of their reporters that they can't Tweet anymore unless it serves ESPN. What?
That will crimp Wilbon's style.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-20-09, 04:35 PM   #124
Banned

Every fucking show today, including PTI and Around the Horn started with talk about the Broncos' win last night instead of the amazing MLB playoffs games. This is fucking ridiculous. In what world a regular season MNF game takes precedence over 2 MLB playoffs game that were won in the last at bat? Oh! I forgot that ESPN is not televising the playoffs.
Old 10-20-09, 07:17 PM   #125
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Every fucking show today, including PTI and Around the Horn started with talk about the Broncos' win last night instead of the amazing MLB playoffs games. This is fucking ridiculous. In what world a regular season MNF game takes precedence over 2 MLB playoffs game that were won in the last at bat? Oh! I forgot that ESPN is not televising the playoffs.
When was the last time ESPN had a hockey show? I'm almost sure more people care about the NHL rather than poker. Wait till the NBA season starts. If Lebron James farts-they are going to have a 4 hr documentary about it.