DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-08-07, 10:19 PM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
Versus is trying to be like ESPN. They're kind of where ESPN was at 15 years ago. You know, then ESPN didn't have the NBA, or much NFL, and instead had random offbeat 'sport' programming.
Hm... must have been living in a cave. I have never heard of this channel
Old 08-09-07, 07:52 AM   #52
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
Versus is trying to be like ESPN. They're kind of where ESPN was at 15 years ago. You know, then ESPN didn't have the NBA, or much NFL, and instead had random offbeat 'sport' programming.
I'd say they are more early-80s ESPN than early-90s ESPN.

VS. actually does a great job with the NHL - far superior than what ESPN did with it, which was little once they acquired the NBA.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-09-07, 09:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
I like Michelle Bonner - she doesn't have that fakeness about her like many of them. She usually has at least one genuine laughing fit per show.

You're right, though, she does need to mix up the outfits a little. Same thing every day. Closet must be full of the same pants/shirt/blazer combo. Like a modern day Charlie Brown.
I totally agree. I like her personality alot, but man is she hot and I love when she does that lil wiggle when she reads a story and gives the camera a naughty smile.

The past 3 days shes worn a skirt and has incredible legs. SHe needs to be permanent and in my bed in her bra & panties with Erin Andrews
Old 08-11-07, 09:09 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

vs. does a terrible job with the nhl.
i can't watch a game if it is on there.

they feel the need to keep the camera as close to the puck as possible.
constantly moving the camera to follow the puck even when it is a short pass
from one guy to the other on the point during power play.
the camera moves around too much.
blurrs the action out at times trying to keep up with the puck.

they have a mandate to never allow the seeting arrea to be shown during the action, so they zoom in much too close.

this happens even during wide angle hd broadcasts.
Old 08-14-07, 03:16 PM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

I liked SportsCenter when they talked about other topics besides the Yankees, the Red Sox, and Barry Bonds. zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...
Old 08-14-07, 03:24 PM   #56
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I liked SportsCenter when they talked about other topics besides the Yankees, the Red Sox, and Barry Bonds. zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...
You forgot Tiger Woods.

As a Yankee fan I'll admit that's the majority of their broadcasts. There is a NE slant to their baseball coverage, but they are based in CT.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-14-07, 04:14 PM   #57
Banned

From the imdb.com:

Quote:
Sportswriters Exchange Pens for Cameras

In the past few years newspaper sportswriters have made a steady migration to cable television, Washington Post sports columnist Norman Chad commented Monday. "We've gone from minor nuisance to cultural menace," he wrote, adding that all over cable and talk radio "there are sports journalists blabbing, gabbing, fretting, chatting, arguing, debating and, mostly, shouting. ... We used to just write, eat and drink; now we just talk, eat and drink. Who has time to write?" It's all become a great boon for the sportswriters, Chad observed. "If ESPN got out of the sports business tomorrow, half of America's top sports columnists would have to send their children back to public schools." Chad concluded: "If I had more time, I'd figure out a better way to express myself and end this column properly, but I have to go commentate on an ESPN World Series of Poker telecast."
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2007-08-14/
Old 08-14-07, 04:14 PM   #58

Do you mean "based in CT", or "biased in CT"?

"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-14-07, 04:46 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
You forgot Tiger Woods.
Speaking of Woods, did anyone else get a little annoyed yesterday when they started talking about him breaking Jack Nicklaus' record for most majors now that he's "only" five behind? Surely he'll do it eventually, but it's going to take a few years. It sounded as if they were going to start tracking it like they did with Bonds - maybe they're going through milestone withdrawl.
Old 08-14-07, 04:54 PM   #60
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had a problem with ESPN for awhile now. Whenever PTI took off, the network had to milk it and not only produce inferior copycat shows (I'm talking to you Around the Horn, and to me you'll always be "Stat Boy", 1st and 10 or whatever it's called...) but they had to throw the "argument" segments into every other show they have. I don't want to see a menacing Sean Salisbury yelling at the alien-like nerd-king John Clayton. Look, it only works when it's Kornheiser and Wilbon. They are funny and genuinely like each other, therefore they play well off each other. It doesn't work with the plastic surgery addict Skip Bayless or the perpetual high-pitched whining of Dan Lebatard (I know nothing of his family history, but I'd be willing to bet that he's a middle child). And I'm glad that they've somewhat inexplicably pasted their rundown on the side of the screen on SportsCenter now (a terrible decision, if you think about it) so I can actually watch the two segments that I want to watch and skip the rest of the Yankee/Redsox/Vick/Bonds/soon-to-be-T.O. snoozefest.

The one show that I'll always remember fondly, NFL Primetime, is gone (more due to NBC than ESPN, admittedly). I'll just stick to the internet for my sports info usually.
Old 08-14-07, 07:32 PM   #61
Banned

To me, the main problem is that they keep hiring more and more sport radio personalities and not educated, well spoken reporters. Sportcenter is supposed to be the news outlet for sports not for opinions from so-called experts. Guys like Bayless, Stephen A Smith and Jim Rome just tend to disagree for the hell of it, not for the use of common sense and rational thought. It is ironic that the guy that was criticized for the way he got to Sportcenter, Josh Elliot, is the one that looks and acts as a professional newscaster.
Old 08-14-07, 08:02 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

I think Mike & Mike have done a decent job, but when I watch SC (rare now), I want smart fucking people who offer more than one liners. I want ANALYSIS. Fuck steve phillips, he is a bitter hack. Fuck steven a smith for being a one trick pony. And fuck anyone who even remotely contributed to "Who's NOW?!!!!"

-p
Old 08-14-07, 10:16 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

I still love me some Rachel Nichols in ESPN HD.
Old 08-15-07, 07:41 AM   #64
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I still love me some Rachel Nichols in ESPN HD.
I've never been a fan. I've always looked at her as quite possibly the least talented reporter on any nationally televised broadcast, and, while the red hair thing usually does it for me, I've never been a fan of her looks either. Maybe it's the too much mascara? I prefer Bonner.
Old 08-15-07, 08:29 AM   #65
DVD Talk God

I'm not a big Rachel Nichols fan either.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-15-07, 08:44 AM   #66
Stealth Moderator

ESPN is to sports
as
MTV is to music.

Ok, after I wrote that, I checked today's MTV schedule, and it includes 3.5 hours of music videos (5:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. at that) and 20.5 hours of other programming. So maybe ESPN isn't quite that bad yet.

life in high definition
Old 08-15-07, 09:53 AM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

It's been cool to see Erin Andrews go from hometown WTBS to ESPN in relatively short order.
Old 08-15-07, 09:58 AM   #68
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is Atlanta her hometown? I thought she was from Florida.

Either way, she's awful as a broadcaster.
Old 09-03-07, 12:40 PM   #69
Banned

Labor Day and not one baseball game on their TV schedule. ESPN is really going downhill.
Old 09-03-07, 01:03 PM   #70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx23
Labor Day and not one baseball game on their TV schedule. ESPN is really going downhill.
It's football season now.

Football >>>> anything baseball.
Old 09-03-07, 01:41 PM   #71
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow
It's football season now.

Football >>>> anything baseball.
Uhhhh, Football isn't on Mondays for another week.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-03-07, 02:40 PM   #72
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones
Uhhhh, Football isn't on Mondays for another week.
ESPN is airing a couple college games today/tonight.
Old 09-03-07, 03:04 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27
ESPN is airing a couple college games today/tonight.

-p
Old 09-03-07, 09:16 PM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are some really bad things about ESPN but unfortunately it's the best sports network around. I'm glad they got rid of Michael Irvin though.
Old 12-09-07, 12:57 PM   #75
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've started a thread or two like this on other boards.

I pretty much can't stand ESPN. Not much useful about them anymore. (I watch Sunday pre-game to check on injuries/starters for fantasy football. And maybe catch PTI if Korn and Wilbon are on.)

I could run down the list of who annoys me to no end, but it'd take too long. Suffice to say, nearly everyone there gets on my nerves at some point, just some far more than others. (Watching the Sunday morning NFL show is almost unbearable!)

Yeah, ESPN can take the proverbial long walk off a short pier.

My DVD list