DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-07-07, 09:31 AM   #26
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think ESPN is simply catering to their audience which is basically a bunch of men who act like women. These macho-men walk around with their chests out pretending to know sports, but all they really know are sports soap-operas. And that is what ESPN is - sports soap-opera.
Old 08-07-07, 09:33 AM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Why does Michelle Bonner always wear white? It's black that is slimming. Black.

das
I like Michelle Bonner - she doesn't have that fakeness about her like many of them. She usually has at least one genuine laughing fit per show.

You're right, though, she does need to mix up the outfits a little. Same thing every day. Closet must be full of the same pants/shirt/blazer combo. Like a modern day Charlie Brown.
Old 08-07-07, 09:44 AM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the ESPN women are awful.

Also, when did Sportscenter become a comedy?
Old 08-07-07, 10:33 AM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cannot stand watching sportscenter for more then 15 minutes now. I usually just look for the scores i'm interested in then switch over to something else once i get em.
Old 08-07-07, 02:18 PM   #30

and its hack reporting like this that pisses me off...i only watch espn for the games now...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...e=vicksatlanta

and, yes, espn is nothing but a mouthpiece for the sports events it has...

havent heard much about the WNBA this year have we?

oh, wait, thats because they dont host games much anymore and the sports an abomination...

i love how the espn deportes thing started to blow up...but wait...beckham is a huge boo-boo, so we'll stop covering soccer now...

As for the linked Vick story, what a bunch of crap! His friends have told news media that he was a part of kidnapping dogs and slitting their throats for fun! ESPN should not be writing a story that condones these actions because of racism in the past! thats RACIST!

I hate how espn decides what its viewers should find moral and immoral, and how RACE is constantly brought up!
it sickens me that sports has come to this!

No one gives a flying fuck if youre black or white...

people have got to be sick of this exchange by now:

"Reporter (in studio making 6 figures and taking a pretentious view): mr ****** who's mom was killed when he was 4 years old and lived off whatever his gangbangin brother would leave behind...could you tell us what it was like to live your life and then win a super bowl?!

Athlete: yeah, it was a struggle (in so many words)

reporter: wow, isnt that neat, see there are ******s makin it in the world everyone! doesnt that make YOU feel better about yourself, seeing this silly little black man do something good!"

...milestones should not be brought up alongside someone's skin color...if somebody is being inducted and wishes to share a story or talk about how important his culture has been to him, fine!

...but no network should make artificial accomplishments such as "first black super bowl coach" or first "black nascar driver" a lead story...

and thats what espn has become...artificial!
"Top Gun...The sad thing is there's like a million better movies out there. How could one group of people, guys have you, like that movie that much that they know every line and every scene from it...and they were straight guys, cause they were hittin on that Beth girl...It's a sad day for America"- Dave Ulrich(My Drunk Friend)
Old 08-07-07, 03:12 PM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
hey given that nobody does a great job these days, i'll take it. i haven't ever heard a broadcaster i liked doing commentary, so for me its about things like showing me balls and strikes on screen, and the first down marker. i like to mute and listen to music.

usually i can listen as long as it's not joe morgan, joe buck, or john madden.
take control
Old 08-07-07, 03:51 PM   #32
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of their programming really should be on The Ocho.

I mean I know soccer is not exactly big in the US, but I would think most people, even those that dislike it, would say it is more of a sport then something like pool. So why not show more things like that.
Old 08-07-07, 04:21 PM   #33
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell65
havent heard much about the WNBA this year have we?

oh, wait, thats because they dont host games much anymore and the sports an abomination...
Do you actually want to hear more about the WNBA?
Old 08-07-07, 05:37 PM   #34
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad

I would never put Erin Andrews and awful in the same sentence, except maybe for the sentence "it's awful that Erin Andrews has never showed up at my door naked."
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-07-07, 05:55 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Erin's gotten a lot better since her TBS Gamebreak days. I still prefer the quality analysis you get from reporters like Tafoya and Kolber and Dales (when she's covering real sports), but Andrews sure is nice to look at.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 08-07-07, 05:55 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

They just had legal analyst Roger Cossack on to (tongue-in-cheek) discuss the legal ramifications of the Seattle moose mascot almost hitting CoCo Crisp with an ATV. I guess that passes for comedy these days
Old 08-07-07, 06:00 PM   #37
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Erin's gotten a lot better since her TBS Gamebreak days. I still prefer the quality analysis you get from reporters like Tafoya and Kolber and Dales (when she's covering real sports), but Andrews sure is nice to look at.

das

I don't think any sideline reporter adds anything that can't be delivered from the booth (via an off-camera assistant or a 'report' on what a player said in practice before the game), and the running off the field/court halftime 'interviews' are beyond asinine. Therefore, if sports producers are going to thrust them upon us, then make them as hot as possible.

That being said, I do think Kolber is a fine studio host and anchor. Dales does a decent job in the college hoops studio too.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-07-07 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 06:15 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't think any sideline reporter adds anything that can't be delivered from the booth (via an off-camera assistant or a 'report' on what a player said in practice before the game), and the running off the field/court halftime 'interviews' are beyond asinine. Therefore, if sports producers are going to thrust them upon us, then make them as hot as possible.
If they're doing their job correctly, there's value to it; it's just that most of them suck. Also, unfortunately, the NFL really cracks down on what they will allow the reporters to talk about. I know you don't watch the NBA, but Tafoya is great. She'll stick her head in the huddle and provide solid, immediately relevant information that adds to the broadcast. She's also smarter than most of the broadcasters. And I always found Dales to actually give better analysis than the dolts in the booth when she did those Friday night games.

Sadly, most sideline reporters are terrible, so it makes them seem useless. And in the absence of talent, I'm on the same page as you: make them hot!

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 08-07-07, 06:31 PM   #39
Premium Member

The only one that I can think of that actually added something other than hotness in the NFL was Lynn Swann when he was a sideline reporter.
Old 08-07-07, 06:57 PM   #40
DVD Talk God

Quote:
If they're doing their job correctly, there's value to it; it's just that most of them suck. Also, unfortunately, the NFL really cracks down on what they will allow the reporters to talk about. I know you don't watch the NBA, but Tafoya is great. She'll stick her head in the huddle and provide solid, immediately relevant information that adds to the broadcast. She's also smarter than most of the broadcasters. And I always found Dales to actually give better analysis than the dolts in the booth when she did those Friday night games.

I'm not sure how the job they do isn't something that an off-air person with a microphone (that is recorded) can't do - and be relayed to the booth (or the audio from the huddle aired live). Plus if they actually do a better job commenting, then replace the jock in the booth with them.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-08-07, 01:06 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

For ESPN being around for 25 someodd years ... you would think they'd be a competitor out there. CNN started around the same time (give or take 5 years) as ESPN and there is now Fox and MSNBC in the same category as CNN.
Old 08-08-07, 04:10 AM   #42
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scott Van Pelt is my least favorite anchor on sportscenter. He comes off way too smug and arrogant, in my opinion

although, I did have a chuckle tonight...although it was while he was being serious...when he responded to the video of Bonds almost losing it when he started talking about his father with the brilliant line "No matter what you think of him, he is human after all"

Stop the presses, no shit Van Pelt! Here I was thinking Bonds was a martian robot
Old 08-08-07, 05:56 AM   #43
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot stand Stephen A Smith and Jim Rome, two fucking arrogant, loud, obnoxious idiots who apparently blew their way to the top.
Old 08-08-07, 07:47 AM   #44
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
For ESPN being around for 25 someodd years ... you would think they'd be a competitor out there. CNN started around the same time (give or take 5 years) as ESPN and there is now Fox and MSNBC in the same category as CNN.

Entry into cable network news is a little different because you don't need to acquire rights to major news happenings like you do with sporting events. It's not easy to do a start-up sports network - ESPN has rights to all the major sports properties save the PGA Tour and Olympics.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-08-07, 09:44 AM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

ESPN got such a jump on the market, it is hard to even TRY to catch up. Sure they blow now, but they are still far ahead.

btw....screw you ESPN....I'm tired of this Bonds shit.

-p
Old 08-08-07, 09:52 AM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad

Are you forgetting about Rachel Nichols?

Every time she's on, I'm paying attention!
Old 08-08-07, 09:59 AM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedagogue
ESPN got such a jump on the market, it is hard to even TRY to catch up. Sure they blow now, but they are still far ahead.

btw....screw you ESPN....I'm tired of this Bonds shit.

-p
Replace ESPN with any other "monopoly" ... Microsoft, AT&T ...

Monopolies can be broken.
Old 08-08-07, 10:20 AM   #48
DVD Talk God

The bigger threat to ESPN is not a competing all-sport network but each league and/or college conference trying to fly solo in the tv business.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 08-08-07, 10:44 AM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Versus is trying to be like ESPN. They're kind of where ESPN was at 15 years ago. You know, then ESPN didn't have the NBA, or much NFL, and instead had random offbeat 'sport' programming.
Old 08-08-07, 11:01 AM   #50
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I stopped watching SC religiously in the late 90s. I don't even visit espn.com anymore - terrible website.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda