DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-12-07, 10:49 AM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

But then you also have to take into account the eras in which they played, which would then even it right back out.
Old 06-12-07, 10:58 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

true enough

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-12-07, 11:01 AM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

And, I would suggest Mattingly was a better defensive player than Bernie, so he has that to his advantage also.
Old 06-12-07, 12:06 PM   #104
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028
But then you also have to take into account the eras in which they played, which would then even it right back out.

Assuming you are not going to take juicing into account in the coming years when it comes to HOF voting, which is a bad assumption given that the sportswriters can't stop yapping about it today and have already seemingly banished Big Mac.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-30-07, 07:28 PM   #105
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about:

Tim Raines?

He's elgible next year. I think he should, he was the second best leadoff man in his era...behind the greatest of all time (Rickey).
Old 07-30-07, 08:14 PM   #106
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Keys
How about:

Tim Raines?

He's elgible next year. I think he should, he was the second best leadoff man in his era...behind the greatest of all time (Rickey).
Raines certainly has a compelling case. Compare Raines' stats to those of Lou Brock, who is in the hall.

Tim Raines- http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=raineti01

Lou Brock- http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=brocklo01

Raines has the advantage in runs scored, RBI, homeruns, walks (by a wide margin) which leads to a much higher OBP. Brock has the advantage in hits (about 400 more) but had about 1500 more plate appearances.

Defensively, Raines has a much better fielding percentage.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 07-30-07, 09:14 PM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have to say yes to raines I was a big fan of his when I was younger and always wanted his baseball cards even though I didn't understand why they were worthless I always thought if I knew who they were they were worth something
Old 07-30-07, 09:17 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMO, Raines is a HOFer. He was the National League's Rickey Henderson.
Old 07-30-07, 09:20 PM   #109
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if Raines' early drug problems will have any effect on his getting in. He seemed to kick the problem early and stayed clean the rest of his career/life.
Old 07-30-07, 09:24 PM   #110
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn
IMO, Raines is a HOFer. He was the National League's Rickey Henderson.
Except he had some really good years with the White Sox.
Old 07-30-07, 09:57 PM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

Raines will benefit from being the top new guy on the ballot. If he had been on there this year, I don't think he makes it (with Ripken and Gwynn). Next year, he has a good shot.
Old 03-26-08, 12:08 PM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bumping this thread to ask if Chris Webber is a Hall of Famer.

He's one of only 6 players in NBA history to average 20 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists a game.

The other 5 are Kevin Garnett (future first ballot Hall of Famer), Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Elgin Baylor and Billy Cunningham (all Hall of Famers).

I personally don't think he is. Too many injuries and was never regarded as one of the games best at any point in his career.

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 03-26-08, 12:18 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

I say no on Webber.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 03-26-08, 01:19 PM   #114
DVD Talk God

When evaluating players for the Basketball Hall of Fame, remember it is college+pro, although one can wonder what the game played in the pros in the last decade or so has to do with basketball.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-26-08, 02:54 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

No, he shouldn't get in at least until a lot of other just as or more deserving players get in. Since only 1 or 2 NBA players get into the shitty basketball HOF each year, he has a long line in front of him. He would have a better chance if the NBA started their own HOF, which they should.

As a side note, how the hell is John Chaney in the HOF when Guy Lewis isn't?
Old 03-26-08, 05:28 PM   #116
DVD Talk Special Edition

No to Webber as well. Even at best, He had 2 maybe 3 seasons where you thought to yourself he was top 5 at his respected position. And that's not enough to be a hall of famer. Factoring in his college career does bring him closer, but still no cigar.
Old 03-26-08, 05:31 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hero

Nope.
Old 03-26-08, 06:21 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

If his Sacramento team had ever won a championship, I might think differently, but he was never named a starter in the all-star game and was first team all nba only once. I always thought he was one of the most gifted power forwards to play the game (of course at one time I thought similar things about Derrick Coleman), but he played in eras where Malone, then Garnett and Duncan just dominated the power forward position.
Old 03-26-08, 08:20 PM   #119
Banned

If Garnett is a shoe-in, then Webber is a barely-in.
Old 03-26-08, 08:47 PM   #120
DVD Talk Godfather

I say no on Webber too, just barely, but I do think he was greatly underrated as a PF, and i'd actually say he was a Top 5 PF for about half his career. I agree that everyone would see him differently if the Kings won a title and beat the Lakers. His career numbers are pretty damn good, especially his assists for a big man.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 03-27-08, 06:19 AM   #121
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Webber to me is not a Hall of Famer, as he just doesn't rise to the level of guys like Barkley, Malone, and Pippen, who I consider shoe-in HOF'ers.

Sometimes numbers are overrated in basketball, as Derrick Coleman routinely put up 20 pts/10 rebounds, but that doesn't mean they are great players. I think Webber is a guy who had a really good career, but I just can't put him in that HOF class.
Old 04-17-08, 11:19 PM   #122
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Steve McNair retired today after 13 seasons. Does he make the Pro Football Hall of Fame? I say yes. 30,000 yards, 60% completion rate, 174 touchdowns. Co-MVP in 2003 and a Super Bowl appearance. Played through injuries and played consistently throughout his career, only having 1 really bad year, last year unfortunately.

I don't think he'll get in on the 1st ballot, but definitely within the 1st 10 years of eligibility.

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 04-17-08, 11:52 PM   #123
Banned

174 tds in 13 seasons, that's not impressive at all.
Old 04-17-08, 11:55 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

No way.
Old 04-18-08, 07:21 AM   #125
DVD Talk God

Put McNair on those Cowboys teams in the 1990s, and he'd be a HOFamer just like Aikman.

Loved watching him play. A true gamer and leader.
- Josh Hinkle