DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-04-17, 05:47 PM   #1176
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Play a game with me. Hall of Famer or not?

That was their third first round pick that year too. I don't even remember who Kedrick Brown was.
Old 05-04-17, 05:52 PM   #1177
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That was their third first round pick that year too. I don't even remember who Kedrick Brown was.
I think he was one of those small-school workout-warrior types. Joe Johnson was actually worth the pick, of course, but they dumped him for their playoff run.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-05-17, 12:49 PM   #1178
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Manu is certain to retire too. BB reference only has him at 20%, but he is a lock as well. His international success puts him over the top.
Yep
Manu was the best player on the Argentina which won gold in 2004 and beat Team Usa . He would have made the Basketball Hall Of Fame if he retired 12 years ago
Old 05-10-17, 03:08 PM   #1179
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Manu is certain to retire too. BB reference only has him at 20%, but he is a lock as well. His international success puts him over the top.
Agree, Manu and Tony are locks.
Old 05-10-17, 04:17 PM   #1180
DVD Talk Legend

was just thinking how this might be the most interesting thread in the forum. Props to the OP for starting it, even if you haven't checked in on it in over 7 years.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-22-17, 05:24 PM   #1181
DVD Talk Legend

a neat little article on Manu: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...i-nba-unicorn/

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-28-17, 10:51 AM   #1182

Was reading an article on Adrián Beltré, the numbers he's amassed over his career are very good. He just hit his 450th home run, he's less than 30 hits away from 3,000.

Notable accomplishments during his career.

4 time All Star, 5 time Gold Glove winner, 4 time Silver Slugger winner, no MVP awards (finished 2nd his last season with the Dodgers), never a part of a World Championship team (he was on the Rangers squad that lost to the Cardinals in that wonderful 2011 Fall Classic.)

To me he seems like more of a stat compiler, but 3K career hits means induction unless some sort of controversy surrounds the player.
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Old 06-28-17, 11:06 AM   #1183
DVD Talk Legend

I think Beltre is a HOFer. This is hardly a guy that has hung around longer than he's needed to so the stats over 20 years is pretty impressive to me. Perennial gold glover with a bunch of really great years at the plate. There were some bad years -- it never worked out for him in Seattle -- but he completely turned it back around after going to the Rangers.
Old 06-28-17, 11:49 AM   #1184
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Was reading an article on Adrián Beltré, the numbers he's amassed over his career are very good. He just hit his 450th home run, he's less than 30 hits away from 3,000.

Notable accomplishments during his career.

4 time All Star, 5 time Gold Glove winner, 4 time Silver Slugger winner, no MVP awards (finished 2nd his last season with the Dodgers), never a part of a World Championship team (he was on the Rangers squad that lost to the Cardinals in that wonderful 2011 Fall Classic.)

To me he seems like more of a stat compiler, but 3K career hits means induction unless some sort of controversy surrounds the player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I think Beltre is a HOFer. This is hardly a guy that has hung around longer than he's needed to so the stats over 20 years is pretty impressive to me. Perennial gold glover with a bunch of really great years at the plate. There were some bad years -- it never worked out for him in Seattle -- but he completely turned it back around after going to the Rangers.
I can see how he looks like a stat compiler, but in reality I think he's been very underrated and underappreciated for much of his career. I think he's a sure fire HoFer, and deserves to be.

Old 06-28-17, 12:55 PM   #1185
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I can see how he looks like a stat compiler, but in reality I think he's been very underrated and underappreciated for much of his career. I think he's a sure fire HoFer, and deserves to be.
Agreed. His career has a weird arc to it. Early on, it looked like he was going to be a solid-but-not-great player until he had that monster 2004 (triple crown line of 48/121/0.334). Then he "cashed in" on that season going to the Mariners where he went back right to where he was before 2004. But then he had a career resurgence with Boston and Texas in his 30s, regularly cranking out All-Star caliber seasons every year with 30/100/0.300 hitting and continued Gold Glove level defense.

Who knows what was going on in 2004. Guys just have those fluky crazy good seasons. But outside of that, he was underrated in LA and Seattle because he was playing in bad parks for hitting. Then he finally got to play in good parks for hitting and all of his hitting numbers jumped up. But he was always a good hitter for his position. And he was always a great defensive player. If you put any value in WAR, he ranks second all-time in defensive WAR for third basemen (behind only Brooks Robinson) and 13th all-time for all positions. And in overall WAR for third basemen, he's 4th (behind Schmidt, Eddie Matthews, and Boggs ... and looks likely to finish only behind Schmidt when all is said and done).

The Hall of Fame is surprisingly light on Third Basemen. Barring late-career steroid allegations Beltre is a no-brainer, even if his career ended very soon.
Old 06-28-17, 01:44 PM   #1186
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beltre is definitely HOF worthy. Amazing defense and a very consistent hitter with power.

Two fun commercials produced during his Mariner years focusing on his defense.

Old 06-28-17, 02:26 PM   #1187
DVD Talk Legend

Beltre is a HOFer. He has an odd career arc. Outside of that one spectacular Dodgers season, he's been better in his 30s than his 20s. Whatever happened, he became a consistently better hitter in Texas.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-28-17, 02:50 PM   #1188
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beltre is a compiler but I say that in a positive way. He never makes the HOF if he declines like most players in their 30's and it looked that way his last year in Seattle in 2009. After going to Boston in 2010 until now he has a slash line of 310/359/522 to go along with 200 HR and over 1200 hits. That is very impressive and not many players can do that into their 30's.
Old 06-28-17, 03:08 PM   #1189
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As chance would have it, David Schoenfield at ESPN talked about Adrian Beltre today and how to assess his career:

Quote:
At some point, Adrian Beltre will no longer be good at playing baseball. That time is not yet here, and for that we should all be thankful. Now 38 years old, Beltre missed most of the first two months with a calf injury, and, at his age, any significant injury makes you wonder if that's the one that will start his decline.

For now, it appears Beltre remains a young 38, just as he was a young 37 in 2016. In 24 games since returning from the DL, he's hitting .303/.373/.562. And in the ninth inning Tuesday, he crushed a Cody Allen high heater to give the Texas Rangers a 2-1 victory over the Cleveland Indians.

That was Beltre's 450th home run, breaking a tie with Jeff Bagwell and Vladimir Guerrero for 39th on the all-time list. He's now just 33 hits away from 3,000, so he stands a reasonable chance of becoming just the sixth player to reach 3,000 hits and 500 home runs (Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Alex Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Eddie Murray).

A future Hall of Famer, Beltre has had a remarkable career in many ways, one full of twists and turns. He had that monster season with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2004 when he hit 48 home runs, spent five years in obscurity with some bad Seattle Mariners teams, spent a season in Boston and then became a legend with the Rangers. As his career progressed, he remained largely unchanged as a hitter, one who was always aggressive but skilled enough to still do damage when chasing pitches out of the zone. In fact, he set a career-high walk rate in his first full season in the majors. That, I would suspect, is an unusual career path.

Instead, he has compensated by striking out less, even as strikeouts across the league have reached new records every season. He topped 100 strikeouts five times earlier in his career, but last year fanned just 66 times in 640 plate appearances. This year, he has 10 walks and 11 strikeouts. Beltre's approach wouldn't work for everyone, but it works for him, and his contact ability is sorely missed from so many others in today's game.

Here's a question: Is Beltre the best player to never win an MVP award? The modern BBWAA MVP awards began in 1931. Since that season, Beltre ranks 19th among position players in WAR at 90.9 (entering Tuesday's game). Only three of the 18 players with more WAR failed to win MVP honors, curiously two of them also third basemen: Eddie Mathews (96.2), Al Kaline (92.3) and Wade Boggs (91.1). Beltre will pass Kaline and Boggs in WAR this season.

To be fair, he has never deserved an MVP award. Beltre's best season was 2004, when he ranked second among NL position players with 9.5 WAR and also finished second in the MVP voting, both to Barry Bonds. His only other top-five MVP finish was in 2012 with the Rangers, when he finished third, after also ranking third in WAR. He has never been the best player in the league, but he has consistently been one of the 10 best. He's to be appreciated for his consistency, his durability, his defense and, of course, that head that he doesn't like to be touched.
Old 07-06-17, 08:16 AM   #1190

Yes, Hall of Famer Why Not
Old 07-06-17, 08:35 AM   #1191
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that Beltre is a stat compiler. I also do not believe in "benchmarks" for induction (like 3k hits). Honestly I won't cry about if he gets in but I think he's more deserving of the Hall of the Very Good.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh