Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-11-06, 05:57 PM   #1
Jadow
Suspended pending providing a working email address

College FB - The Wisconsin Badgers Deserve Better

They are now 10-1, their only loss coming to Michigan, and they only ranked 16 and not really in BCS contention.

They will be 11-1 after next week, and definitely deserve a BCS game.
Old 11-11-06, 06:10 PM   #2
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

Not until they schedule some good out of conference games. They fall into the easy schedule zone.
Old 11-11-06, 06:31 PM   #3
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. Sorry. They're the 3rd best team in their conference, and their 4 non-conference opponents have a total of 6 division I victories: Temple (1-9), Kent State, Air Force, Buffalo (2-8), Ohio, Eastern Michigan (1-8). I've bet money on Wisconsin for like 7 straight weeks, and they always do me right, but they've only beaten 2 teams with winning records against div I opponents (both 5-4), and they're 3rd place in their own conference. No.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-11-06, 06:47 PM   #4
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
They get to not play Ohio State this year (not their fault, of course) or they'd have two losses. Plus, they barely beat a weaker than usual Iowa team and a perennially bad Illinois team.
Old 11-11-06, 07:22 PM   #5
The Zizz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They actually cannot go to a BCS game. Only 2 teams from a conference can go to BCS games, and the winner of the Michigan/OSU game goes to the championship, and loser will go to the Rose Bowl (you surely wouldn't argue that Wisconsin is better than Michigan or Ohio State). So, there simply isn't any sense in arguing about their status in any way--they'll go to the Capital One bowl, and if they win they'll finish the season in the top 10.
Old 11-11-06, 07:37 PM   #6
Arpeggi
Banned

No, they are straight-up garbage.
Old 11-11-06, 07:47 PM   #7
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
No, they are straight-up garbage.
Damn, you post a bunch of shit. What teams do you follow?
Old 11-11-06, 08:15 PM   #8
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Nope. Sorry. They're the 3rd best team in their conference, and their 4 non-conference opponents have a total of 6 division I victories: Temple (1-9), Kent State, Air Force, Buffalo (2-8), Ohio, Eastern Michigan (1-8). I've bet money on Wisconsin for like 7 straight weeks, and they always do me right, but they've only beaten 2 teams with winning records against div I opponents (both 5-4), and they're 3rd place in their own conference. No.

das
yep, what he said ^^^
beating 2 5-4 bcs conf teams doesnt make you worthy of a bcs bowl
Old 11-12-06, 11:18 AM   #9
ignition

And don't forget that if Penn State had any sort of offense at all they might have very well suffered a second loss last weekend (good thing for the Badgers that the Nittany Lions have an offense easily compared to the one of Sister Mary's school for girls).
Old 11-13-06, 06:42 AM   #10
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

If the Big 10 had a championship game, Wisconsin would likely win the Big 10 "West" and face the Ohio State-Michigan winner next week at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. If they won the championship, they would earn an automatic bid into the BCS Championship Tourney that doesn't exist either.

Sorry Wisconsin, but you've been jobbed by a system that refuses to let teams settle matters on the field. Petition to change it and you'll be able to punch your own ticket to a title rather than be dependent on the whims of "expert" voters.
Old 11-13-06, 08:24 AM   #11
matta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
If the Big 10 had a championship game, Wisconsin would likely win the Big 10 "West" and face the Ohio State-Michigan winner next week at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. If they won the championship, they would earn an automatic bid into the BCS Championship Tourney that doesn't exist either.
If Wisconsin won-out then beat the winner of the OSU/Michigan game, I bet they'd make it into the NC game even as the system stands now.
Old 11-13-06, 09:15 AM   #12
namja
Stealth Moderator

Quote:
Sorry Wisconsin, but you've been jobbed by a system that refuses to let teams settle matters on the field. Petition to change it and you'll be able to punch your own ticket to a title rather than be dependent on the whims of "expert" voters.
Actually, Wisconsin can't blame the system for not letting teams settle matters on the field. Wisconsin LOST to Michigan ON THE FIELD, or did you miss that part?

life in high definition
Old 11-13-06, 09:18 AM   #13
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
kenbuzz

You're stretching your endless crusade against the BCS even further than usual here. Wisconsin isn't getting jobbed by anyone. And for that matter, they did "settle matters on the field" on September 23.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-13-06, 09:35 AM   #14
The Zizz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:

Wisconsin benefitted from their Big-Ten schedule working out this year such that they didn't have to play Ohio State and thus are able to finish with only one loss instead of two.
Nice out-of-conference schedule for Wisconsin this year: Bowling Green, Western Illinois, San Diego State, and Buffalo coming up.
Old 11-13-06, 11:02 AM   #15
joe liquor

Nice out of conference schedule for Michigan too.

With the exception of ND, who isn't that good, Michigan had a bunch of cream puffs out of conference too. The ND game is only played b/c of history and the money these days. If Michigan could play Eastern Illinois and make the same money they would.

Is Wisconsin better than OSU or Michigan...no, but the 3rd best team in the Big Ten is easily better than what the Big East fans think should be going to the national championship game.

I hope sometime in my lifetime we get a playoff system.
Old 11-13-06, 11:07 AM   #16
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe liquor

With the exception of ND, who isn't that good, Michigan had a bunch of cream puffs out of conference too. The ND game is only played b/c of history and the money these days. If Michigan could play Eastern Illinois and make the same money they would.

Is Wisconsin better than OSU or Michigan...no, but the 3rd best team in the Big Ten is easily better than what the Big East fans think should be going to the national championship game.

Personally, I think both Ohio State and Michigan should meet again for the national title regardless of who wins on Saturday. They are the only serious contenders who have remained undefeated thus far. The only reason one will lose a game is that they must play each other.

I also long for a playoff system.
Old 11-13-06, 11:33 AM   #17
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
joe liquor

Yeah, that's great. If wishes and buts ... Michigan goes on the road and owns a pretty solid Notre Dame team and then thumps Wisconsin the next week. How are they even in this argument?

das

Old 11-13-06, 12:02 PM   #18
matta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib
Personally, I think both Ohio State and Michigan should meet again for the national title regardless of who wins on Saturday. They are the only serious contenders who have remained undefeated thus far. The only reason one will lose a game is that they must play each other.

I also long for a playoff system.
The biggest problem I have with an OSU/UM rematch is if they go 1-1. If OSU (or Michigan) wins both games, you have a clear winner. If they each win a game, then you still get an "official" winner, but the other team will still complain about winning the first game and the need for best 2-out-of-3.
Old 11-13-06, 12:18 PM   #19
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe liquor

I would take a fully healty team from WVU, Rutgers and Louisville over Wisconsin.
Old 11-13-06, 12:33 PM   #20
matta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I would take a fully healty team from WVU, Rutgers and Louisville over Wisconsin.
I'd go with you on 2 of the 3. Of course the one I wouldn't take is the only one that's still undefeated, so what do I know?
Old 11-13-06, 12:51 PM   #21
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by matta
The biggest problem I have with an OSU/UM rematch is if they go 1-1. If OSU (or Michigan) wins both games, you have a clear winner. If they each win a game, then you still get an "official" winner, but the other team will still complain about winning the first game and the need for best 2-out-of-3.
No problem, the one that wins the National Title Game is #1. Lots of teams lose games or season series in the regular season to teams they beat in the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Championship BB NCAA Tournament etc. The Title Game is the title game.
Old 11-13-06, 01:02 PM   #22
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

If Michigan wins on the road, a rematch is totally unnecessary. The only way a rematch is somewhat palatable is if OSU wins by a FG or less or in OT.

However, if a rematch maximizes the number of people bitching, that works for me.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-13-06, 01:07 PM   #23
joe liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I have to disagree but everyone has their opinions.

And to answer Das...ND really isn't in the discussion. I'm just pointing out that Michigan played cream puffs out of conference too. Sorry, but I dont' think ND is that special.

Wisconsin's SOS has kept them down this year. I don't disagree with that. I do think that the Top 3 in the Big Ten and SEC are better than what the Big East has to offer though.

Playing Auburn in a rematch at the Cap One Bowl scares me though. They are a bit bitter from last year.
Old 11-13-06, 01:08 PM   #24
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wisconsin should have scheduled better OOC competition in a year that they knew well ahead of time that they didnt have to face OSU. too bad.
Old 11-13-06, 01:13 PM   #25
joe liquor

What a brilliant deduction. You are a BCS voter aren't you?
Sponsored Links