Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-16-06, 03:10 PM   #1
PJsig08
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are baseball/sports cards ever going to go up in value again?

I must have a couple boxes of individual sports cards...Jordans, Griffey Jrs, Barry Sanders, Magic Johnsons, Shaquille ONeals, the list goes on (even Frank Thomas when his card value was at its peak). This was a hobby during my young years like many people and I really haven't looked at them for years.

I wanna sell them, but I'm pretty sure these cards have lost about 75% of their value. Any way the sports card business will hit another boom (like the early 90s)?
Old 05-16-06, 03:11 PM   #2
gimmepilotwings
Suspended

In a word:

Doubtful.
Old 05-16-06, 03:19 PM   #3
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsig08
I must have a couple boxes of individual sports cards...Jordans, Griffey Jrs, Barry Sanders, Magic Johnsons, Shaquille ONeals, the list goes on (even Frank Thomas when his card value was at its peak). This was a hobby during my young years like many people and I really haven't looked at them for years.

I wanna sell them, but I'm pretty sure these cards have lost about 75% of their value. Any way the sports card business will hit another boom (like the early 90s)?
One of the reasons cards go up in value, like anything else, is supply and demand. As soon as sports card makers stop creating gross tonage of product, and sufficient time passes, your cards will be worth decent money.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-16-06, 03:20 PM   #4
Shadow Ace

The market now is in graded cards. It's still not what it used to be, due to market saturation, in my opinion. Graded rookie cards from Beckett, PSA or any of the reputable grading services will fetch a premium. The ungraded cards you and I have are generally worth about 50%, if not less, of their "book" value, in mint condition.
Old 05-16-06, 03:34 PM   #5
Aphex Twin
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my opinion, only the super well-known iconic cards are worth holding onto. The rest are gonna stay where they are in value. Cards like 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan, 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr., 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, etc.
What happened to those other underpants you had?
Old 05-16-06, 03:35 PM   #6
BigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought my Jose Canseco collection was going to be worth something someday.

Damn you, Jose!
Old 05-16-06, 03:41 PM   #7
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

The comic and card business will never come back to the way it was in the 90s. Those days are long over.

The problem with grading is you pay $8 per card and you may get it back with only a 7 or 8 rating that pretty much kills the value of the card. I have rookie cards from Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders and a few others, but I just keep them for the memory and forget about ever trying to sell them for any profit.

Last edited by darkside; 05-16-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 04:18 PM   #8
PJsig08

Bummer. I still hope that one day these 'rare' cards go up in value. But that could be like 15 years down when these cards are "classics".

I remember when the Griffey Jr. Upper Deck rookie card was the must-have card for a long time. Still got that one.
Old 05-16-06, 04:45 PM   #9
Bose Pro

2 words killed the card industry: Upper Deck. As soon as Upper Deck started producing the insert cards, things got cloudy. Before you knew it, every card company had to have an insert set. Then 2, then 3, ... Then came the "aka's" of the cards. Can't have just Topps, no, we have to have Topps Finest and Stadium Clubs and ... you all know the list goes on and on. The market became so saturated. No offense meant to Upper Deck - hell, they made (by far) the best cards around!

One other word that killed it: eBay. eBay has single-handedly killed it for collectors of almost anything. Sure, you can now get that hard to find item, but instead of 1 or 2 there are 100. As someone said, the "supply" increased = value drops. Why would someone spend $20 for a card at a shop when that same person could go online and pay $10 from thirty different people?

On a personal note ... *CRY* I had most of my cards, well over 100,000 various sports cards (mostly baseball and basketball), in storage. Someone broke in and stole a bunch of items including all my cards. Broke my heart. Luckily, I had my boxes with my valuable cards at my house, safe. I still have them but it's just not the same.

I remember when I was younger and some guy's card would start going up. I would rummage through all my cards hoping I had the right one. Cecil Fielder's 1986 Topps Rookie card comes to mind after he hit 51 homes in 1991. That was awesome... it's an experience every boy needs. Not only were my cards stolen, but all the emotions tied in with them was demolished.
Old 05-16-06, 05:15 PM   #10
PJsig08

Eh don't worry, I still have thousands of cards and they're worth about $20

That does suck though, for nostalgia purposes.
Old 05-16-06, 05:33 PM   #11
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, Bose, oversaturation of the market started occurring in the mid 80s when the big 3 (Topps, Donruss, Fleer) started producting WAY too many of each individual card. But what would later occur was more damaging -- premium sets. Now instead of .50-.75 per pack, you were looking at $3 per pack (with the # of cards inside down to 10 or 12 instead of 15) for your Topps Stadium Club or Upper Deck cards.

Then Topps Finest came along and blew everything out of the water. This is when I stopped collecting. I remember being 13 years old and saving $90 up for a box of Topps Finest and I got nothing of remotely any value in the entire fucking box. That was the last box I would ever buy after 8 years of collecting. The hobby was no longer a childhood hobby -- it was a hobby run by adults and now aimed at adults.

Kinda sucks. Those days of being 9 years old and bouncing around construction sites picking up coke cans to get cash for baseball cards are long gone.
Old 05-16-06, 05:34 PM   #12
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, if anyone would like to purchase any Kevin Maas or Gregg Jefferies RCs, you know where to find me.
Old 05-16-06, 05:40 PM   #13
Lateralus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
BTW, if anyone would like to purchase any Kevin Maas or Gregg Jefferies RCs, you know where to find me.

Gregg Jefferies, man he really crapped the bed; when he first came up he was huge and then nothing! I have a bunch of his rookie cards as well and they are worth next to nothing.

Before the Internet you could make money when somebody was about to break a record or retire but since Ebay forget it. I was checking out Barry Bonds cards when he was trying to break Mark McGwire's home run record and even the most rarest card (Topps Traded 86' I believe) were on Ebay in droves only going for 7 or 8 dollars while Beckett had it listed around $80.00.
Old 05-16-06, 05:55 PM   #14
Brent L
DVD Talk Legend

Up until around 2000, I had quite the collection. I had the "best" rookie card of just about all of the major stars from 1970 and on, and in quite a few cases I had multiples. I really enjoyed collecting them until 1998 or so, because that's about when things started to really go crazy with inserts, signatures, and all of that other special stuff. In many cases certain packs started to cost $10-$20, and that was it for me.

I sold my collection (well, all of the cards that were worth anything really) a few years ago, and while I wish that I hadn't done so, I'm pretty much over it. I'll still buy a cheap pack of cards every now and then, but more so just to "take me back" than anything else.

I wish it was still how it was back in the day, but we'll never see those days again.
Old 05-16-06, 06:08 PM   #15
Bose Pro

I forgot to mention one thing... I am a huge Bo Jackson fan and have about 4,000 of his cards. Maybe I'll post pictures.... Anywho, I haven't gotten any of his new cards though like the jersey ones and such. :/
Old 05-16-06, 06:13 PM   #16
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

I'm trying to sell my Kevin Maas & Gregg Jeffries RCs so I can load up on Todd Van Poppel RCs
Old 05-16-06, 06:17 PM   #17
Aphex Twin
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anyone go to any of the National Sportscard Conventions? Those were so much fun. I went to all the ones that were held at the Anaheim Convention Center. Back then, you could have gotten Mickey Mantle's autograph for like $50. Reggie Jackson was there, Duke Snider, Stan Musial, etc.
What happened to those other underpants you had?
Old 05-16-06, 06:20 PM   #18
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Did you bitch at Reggie for trying to shoot the Queen?
Old 05-16-06, 07:03 PM   #19
PJsig08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Did anyone go to any of the National Sportscard Conventions? Those were so much fun. I went to all the ones that were held at the Anaheim Convention Center. Back then, you could have gotten Mickey Mantle's autograph for like $50. Reggie Jackson was there, Duke Snider, Stan Musial, etc.
Yeah I was there in Anaheim; I used to go to a lot of those conventions all over Orange County. I met Hank Aaron, Frank Thomas, Mickey Mantle and some others.

Man, I remember getting those Beckett magazines in the mail and reading/memorizing the whole damn thing.

And oh man, those Todd Van Poppel cards. There is probably a good list somewhere of guys like that who had Rookie Cards worth $20-50 and are now virtually unknowns. Larry Johnson in the NBA maybe. How 'bout Harold Miner?
Old 05-16-06, 07:18 PM   #20
Bushdog
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I have sooooo many of both of those guys.
Old 05-16-06, 07:41 PM   #21
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
One of the reasons cards go up in value, like anything else, is supply and demand. As soon as sports card makers stop creating gross tonage of product, and sufficient time passes, your cards will be worth decent money.
Exactly. Though part of the reason older cards are so valuable is no one held on to them. Now people realize baseball cards are worth money and hold to them. But Cards in the 80s or beyond will never be that hard to find. Too many people will hold on to them.
Old 05-16-06, 09:52 PM   #22
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

I remember proudly displaying my Daryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden rookie cards next to one other as the centerpiece of my collection (big Mets fan in the '80s). Oops.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 05-16-06, 11:01 PM   #23
edytwinky
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably not. The market is way too saturated I think

Proud to be a Wichita State Shocker

My dining blog: Wichita By EB
Old 05-17-06, 06:30 AM   #24
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Those guys helped me build my collection. I would swap singles of those cards for boxes of cards!

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-17-06, 08:43 AM   #25
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

I've got some good football and basketball stuff from the 70's and 80's that I picked up back when nobody collected those 2 sports. I used to buy everything I could find at card shows. On the down side, I used to be a locker room junkie and got most of my stuff signed by the players, so a lot of my would-be valuable cards are autographed. Still, it's fun to look back at the stuff occasionally and I have a ton of autographs from elite players that would be hard/expensive to get today.
Sponsored Links