DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-12-17, 08:47 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Sports Futility
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Obi-Wan Jabroni
List has been updated through Stanley Cup Finals 2017 - Pittsburgh Penguins over the Nashville Predators, 4 games to 2 - June 2017

Seasons: City (Last Champion) [leagues]
111: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB] (includes 53 seasons as home to Chargers, 4 seasons as home to Clippers, and 6 seasons as home to Rockets)
104: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
92: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
86: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
75: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [NBA, MLB, NFL] (includes 11 seasons as home to Thrashers)
67: Canada (all cities) ('93 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
60: (*)Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
59: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
52: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
47: Charlotte [NBA, NFL]
42: Philadelphia ('06 Phillies) [ALL]
40: Nashville [NHL, NFL]
39: Portland ('77 Trailblazers) [NBA]
39: Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
37: Salt Lake City [NBA]
35: Detroit ('08 Red Wings) [ALL]
31: Sacramento [NBA]
27: Orlando [NBA]
26: San Jose [NHL]
24: Columbus [NHL] (includes 7 seasons as home to the Panhandles/Tigers)
23: (*)Dallas ('11 Mavericks) [ALL]
22: Jacksonville [NFL]
20: (*)New York ('11 Giants) [ALL]
19: Indianapolis ('06 Colts) [NBA, NFL]
18: Wisconsin ('10 Packers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
17: (*)Miami ('13 Heat) [ALL]
16: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
16: St Louis ('11 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB] (includes 4 seasons as home to the Rams)
13: New Orleans ('09 Saints) [NBA, NFL]
11: (*)Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NHL]
10: Oklahoma City [NBA] (includes 2 seasons as home to the NO/OKC Hornets)
10: Baltimore ('12 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
9: Los Angeles ('14 Kings) [ALL]
7: Seattle ('13 Seahawks) [MLB, NFL]
7: San Francisco ('14 Giants) [MLB, NFL]
5: Oakland ('15 Warriors) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
5: Denver ('15 Broncos) [ALL]
3: Kansas City ('15 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
2: San Antonio ('14 Spurs) [NBA]
2: (*)Cleveland ('16 Cavaliers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
2: (*)Chicago ('16 Cubs) [ALL]
1: (*)Boston ('16 Patriots) [ALL]
0: Pittsburgh ('17 Penguins) [NHL, MLB, NFL]

(*) - City moved up at least one place in the standings in the most recent update.

Ties are broken in favor of cities that have never won a championship, then by cities that have had the most time elapse since their last championship.

In the above, I lump teams that are in the same market together. Thus, the Giants, Jets, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Nets, Knicks, Yankees and Mets are all "New York". I consider the AFL to be an equivalent "major" league from 1960-65 since they had their own championship prior to playing the NFL champion in what would become the SuperBowl following the 1966 season. Also, I show AFL/NFL champions in the year the season was played, regardless of whether the championship occurred in December or January of the following year. Currently, the championships occur in this order: NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL; prior to the 2006, the NBA Finals occured prior to the Stanley Cup.

The list does NOT include cities who have had major league teams in the past but who are sports-less today (like Fort Wayne, Rochester and Omaha). The list also lumps all of Canada together and treats it as one "city".

Print Wikipost

Old 01-25-06, 01:38 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Sports Futility

I was reading online yesterday about how long the cities of Seattle and Pittsburgh have had to wait for a champion, now that they're playing each other in next week's Super Bowl. It got me to thinking... which city has the longest current streak of non-championship seasons for their "major" sports league team(s) (baseball, basketball, hockey and football)?

I ran the numbers last night ... it's Cleveland in a landslide.

Cleveland has endured 115 straight seasons without a champion. The last team there to hoist any type of championship hardware was the '64 Browns. Since then, Cleveland has had 35 Cavalier, 41 Indian, and 39 Brown seasons without a title. The next closest is Philadelphia with 90 seasons -- 23 Eagles, 22 76ers, 22 Flyers and 23 Phillies seasons have come and gone since the '83 Sixers won the NBA Finals.

Here's the whole list: Note - List has been updated through the Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle 43, Denver 8 - February 2014

140: Cleveland ('64 Browns) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
110: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB, NFL]
98: (*)Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
80: (*)Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
74: (*)Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
67: (*)Oakland ('89 Athletics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
66: (*)Atlanta ('95 Braves) [NBA, MLB, NFL] (includes 11 seasons as home to Thrashers)
57: (*)Canada (all cities) ('93 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
57: (*)Kansas City ('85 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
51: (*)Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
49: (*)Denver ('01 Avalanche) [ALL]
48: (*)Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
47: (*)Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
42: (*)Charlotte [NBA, NFL]
36: (*)Portland ('77 Trailblazers) [NBA]
34: (*)Salt Lake City [NBA]
30: (*)Nashville [NHL, NFL]
28: (*)Sacramento [NBA]
28: (*)Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
24: (*)Orlando [NBA]
23: (*)Detroit ('08 Red Wings) [ALL]
21: (*)San Jose [NHL]
21: (*)Philadelphia ('06 Phillies) [ALL]
19: (*)Columbus [NHL] (includes 7 seasons as home to the Panhandles/Tigers)
19: (*)Jacksonville [NFL]
14: (*)Indianapolis ('06 Colts) [NBA, NFL]
14: (*)Pittsburgh ('09 Penguins) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
13: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
11: (*)Dallas ('11 Mavericks) [ALL]
9: (*)Wisconsin ('10 Packers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
8: (*)New Orleans ('09 Saints) [NBA, NFL]
8: (*)New York ('11 Giants) [ALL]
7: Oklahoma City [NBA] (includes 2 seasons as home to the NO/OKC Hornets)
7: Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NHL]
7: (*)St Louis ('11 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
6: San Antonio ('07 Spurs) [NBA]
5: (*)Los Angeles ('12 Kings) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
3: (*)San Francisco ('12 Giants) [MLB, NFL]
3: (*)Miami ('13 Heat) [ALL]
2: (*)Baltimore ('12 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
2: (*)Chicago ('13 Blackhawks) [ALL]
1: (*)Boston ('13 Red Sox) [ALL]
0: Seattle ('13 Seahawks) [MLB, NFL]
(*) - City moved up at least one place in the standings in the most recent update.

Ties are broken in favor of cities that have never won a championship, then by cities that have had the most time elapse since their last championship.

In the above, I lump teams that are in the same market together. Thus, the Giants, Jets, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Nets, Knicks, Yankees and Mets are all "New York". I consider the AFL to be an equivalent "major" league from 1960-65 since they had their own championship prior to playing the NFL champion in what would become the SuperBowl following the 1966 season. Also, I show AFL/NFL champions in the year the season was played, regardless of whether the championship occurred in December or January of the following year. Currently, the championships occur in this order: NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL; prior to the 2006, the NBA Finals occured prior to the Stanley Cup.

The list does NOT include cities who have had major league teams in the past but who are sports-less today (like Fort Wayne, Rochester and Omaha). The list also lumps all of Canada together and treats it as one "city".

Last edited by kenbuzz; 02-03-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 01:46 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your number is off for Philadelphia because the Eagles haven't won a championship since 1960.
Old 01-25-06, 01:50 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn
Your number is off for Philadelphia because the Eagles haven't won a championship since 1960.
You misunderstand what the numbers are. It's the number of professional seasons the city has gone since it's last championship. True, the Eagles haven't won the NFL title since 1960, but the City of Philadelphia's last championship was the 76ers winning the 1983 NBA Finals. The measure is from that point forward. The Sixers are the most recent Philly team to win it all, and there have been 90 total sports seasons since then.
Old 01-25-06, 01:51 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Durr. I understand now.

edit: sucks to be Cleveland
Old 01-25-06, 01:52 PM   #5
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz

90: Philadelphia ('83 76ers) [ALL]
I quote this statistic frequently.

I think it is hilarious that Baltimore, which only has 2 major sports teams (and only had 1 of those (NFL) 10 of the 22 years since 1983), has 2 titles since Philly (fully represented) last won one.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-25-06, 01:56 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

What I think is amazing is that Indianapolis is so high. When I started to compile the data, I had no idea that there had been SIXTY professional seasons played in Indy! I knew that all of them were winless, but I would never have guessed that Indy had had teams long enough to be in the top 10 overall (Indy currently ranks #7)
Old 01-25-06, 02:00 PM   #7
DVD Talk God

Quote:
What I think is amazing is that Indianapolis is so high. When I started to compile the data, I had no idea that there had been SIXTY professional seasons played in Indy! I knew that all of them were winless, but I would never have guessed that Indy had had teams long enough to be in the top 10 overall (Indy currently ranks #7)

As long as the Colts never win a title there, that's good enough for me.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-25-06, 04:02 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I quote this statistic frequently.

I think it is hilarious that Baltimore, which only has 2 major sports teams (and only had 1 of those (NFL) 10 of the 22 years since 1983), has 2 titles since Philly (fully represented) last won one.
If Philly and Cleveland keep it up, Philadelphia will catch Cleveland in 25 years (after the 2031 Stanley Cup Finals). Philly has a team in every league, while Cleveland has all of them except the NHL.

And since no other city has 4 teams AND more seasons without a champ than Philly, Philly controls their own destiny here.... they'll be #1 unless they win something, or unless another "major" sport pops up in the next quarter-century.
Old 01-25-06, 04:39 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I ran the numbers last night
how long did that take you?
Old 01-25-06, 05:31 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

but San Diego has been waiting the longest.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-25-06, 07:50 PM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not make up lists of post season wins for each sport since 1960 and see where the Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions end up(at the bottom like always).In three weeks the Pittsburgh Steelers have won more playoff games than the Detroit Lions have won in the last 50 yrs.
Old 01-25-06, 08:01 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

When Jose Mesa blew the World Series for the Indians a few years back, that had to suck
Old 01-25-06, 09:29 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
but San Diego has been waiting the longest.
Yup, if you look just at # of years between titles, San Diego is the longest of those cities who have won a title... unless you count cities like Rochester, whose Royals won the NBA back in the 40's or some such, or Jacksonville which have NEVER won a championship since the earth cooled.

I like to measure futility in terms of seasons played where some other city got to celebrate.
Old 06-26-06, 01:58 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Summer 2006 Update:

Carolina Hurricanes win the Stanley Cup, marking the first time in 22 professional seasons that Charlotte has won a championship. Miami Heat win the NBA Championship, breaking an 8 season drought since the Marlins won the 2003 World Series.

116: Cleveland ('64 Browns) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
92: Philadelphia ('83 76ers) [ALL]
86: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB, NFL]
82: Seattle ('79 Supersonics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
76: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
70: Milwaukee ('71 Bucks) [NBA, MLB]
61: Indianapolis [NBA, NFL]
53: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
48: New Orleans [NBA, NFL]
44: Oakland ('89 Athletics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
44: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
41: Kansas City ('85 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
39: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [ALL]
35: Canada (all cities) ('03 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
31: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
29: Portland ('77 Trail Blazers) [NBA]
27: Dallas ('00 Stars) [ALL]
27: Salt Lake City [NBA]
26: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
24: San Francisco ('94 49ers) [MLB, NFL]
21: Sacramento [NBA]
19: Denver ('01 Avalanche) [ALL]
18: Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
18: St Louis ('99 Rams) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
17: Orlando [NBA]
16: Nashville [NHL, NFL]
14: San Jose [NHL]
11: Jacksonville [NFL]
11: New York ('03 Devils) [ALL]
10: Baltimore ('00 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
10: Los Angeles ('02 Angels) [ALL]
9: Green Bay ('96 Packers) [NFL]
8: Detroit ('04 Pistons) [ALL]
6: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
5: Boston ('04 Patriots) [ALL]
5: Columbus [NHL]
5: Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
3: Chicago ('05 White Sox) [ALL]
1: Charlotte ('06 Hurricanes) [NBA, NHL, NFL]
1: Pittsburgh ('05 Steelers) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
1: San Antonio ('05 Spurs) [NBA]
0: Miami ('06 Heat) [ALL]
Old 06-26-06, 04:12 PM   #15

22: Charlotte [NBA, NHL, NFL]

That number seems (seemed) low. The Panthers have been around for ~12 years, Hurricanes ~10 years, and before the Bobcats, the Hornets were there for ~16 years. (I don't feel like looking up the years they started) So they were higher on the list before the 'Canes took the cup.

But... the 'Canes don't play in Charlotte - they play in Raleigh. So either they need their own category or it should be 'Carolina' instead of 'Charlotte'.
Old 06-26-06, 04:19 PM   #16

If you are going to lump New Jersey in with New York, shouldn't you also lump Oakland in with San Francisco?

EDIT: and San Jose

Last edited by TexasGuy; 06-26-06 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 02:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
If you are going to lump New Jersey in with New York, shouldn't you also lump Oakland in with San Francisco?

EDIT: and San Jose
Yeah, seriously, I have a problem with the lumping.

I am a native NY'er and I despise teams from Jersey and any affiliation with them. I hate when NY papers cover those teams in any capacity (which they do only because so many NJ'ers work in NYC). NY has more Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls fans than Nets fans.

You split up teams in 1 state and combined teams from different states saying they're the same market?

TheGodfather's Music
X-Box Live ID - DJ EMunny
Old 06-29-06, 05:22 AM   #18

If you dont like it, redo it. I think he's done a great job! Hopefully Dallas will move up soon (not much hope though until next year's NBA Unfortunately )
Old 06-29-06, 06:53 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeMo
22: Charlotte [NBA, NHL, NFL]

That number seems (seemed) low. The Panthers have been around for ~12 years, Hurricanes ~10 years, and before the Bobcats, the Hornets were there for ~16 years. (I don't feel like looking up the years they started) So they were higher on the list before the 'Canes took the cup.

But... the 'Canes don't play in Charlotte - they play in Raleigh. So either they need their own category or it should be 'Carolina' instead of 'Charlotte'.
In my spreadsheet, I have the Panthers beggining play in the fall of 1995, and the 'Canes and Hornets in 1998. However, the Hornets started in 1988, not 1998.... I fat-fingered the data when I entered it. Also, I didn't account for there being no NBA in Charlotte for two seasons. I guess it doesn't matter, with the 'Canes having just lifted Lord Stanley, but it bugs me that I had that data wrong.

And I apologize for getting all the Tobacco Road cities confused. I understand the Cincinnati/Cleveland analogy completely, but I may end up lumping Raliegh and Charlotte anyway since there's no overlap in any of the professional sports between the two. Of course, that invalidates my reason for lumping all of the NY/NJ teams together....
Old 06-29-06, 09:54 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Yeah, seriously, I have a problem with the lumping.

I am a native NY'er and I despise teams from Jersey and any affiliation with them. I hate when NY papers cover those teams in any capacity (which they do only because so many NJ'ers work in NYC). NY has more Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls fans than Nets fans.

You split up teams in 1 state and combined teams from different states saying they're the same market?
Yeah you guys shouldn't cover the Jets or Giants.
Old 06-30-06, 02:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yeah you guys shouldn't cover the Jets or Giants.
Aaaahhhh, always the jealous neighbor... Don't you find it a slap in the face that they still go by "New York..."? We just play in your yard because we can. Rent's alot cheaper, as is property value. The Nets will find that out when they skip town and go to Brooklyn. Then the Devils will have Jersey all to themselves.

I don't mean to suggest the work kenbuzz did isn't admirable, I just wish NY and NJ were separate is all. I still think the list is cool, FWIW.

TheGodfather's Music
X-Box Live ID - DJ EMunny
Old 07-01-06, 12:07 AM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
edit: sucks to be Cleveland
The way the Tigers and White Sox are playing, it looks like it'll be 117 and counting.

Quote:
When Jose Mesa blew the World Series for the Indians a few years back, that had to suck
Some guy on either ESPN or SI had a blog about the most painful sports loss and this one was mine. Almost 9 years later, it still hurts to watch the replay of the series-winning hit.

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 01-22-07, 08:00 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-Super Bowl XLI Update:

The St Louis Cardinals won the World Series last fall, dropping the Gateway City to the bottom of the list and adding one more season to the futility numbers for the other 29 MLB towns.

I have also incremented the futility number for all of the NFL cities except for Indianapolis and Chicago, whose teams are meeting in the Super Bowl. The winner drops to zero at the bottom of the list, the loser gets a +1.

Here's the current list:
118: Cleveland ('64 Browns) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
94: Philadelphia ('83 76ers) [ALL]
88: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB, NFL]
84: Seattle ('79 Supersonics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
77: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
71: Milwaukee ('71 Bucks) [NBA, MLB]
61: Indianapolis [NBA, NFL]
54: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
49: New Orleans [NBA, NFL]
46: Oakland ('89 Athletics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
46: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
43: Kansas City ('85 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
41: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [ALL]
36: Canada (all cities) ('03 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
33: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
29: Dallas ('00 Stars) [ALL]
29: Portland ('77 Trail Blazers) [NBA]
28: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
27: Salt Lake City [NBA]
26: San Francisco ('94 49ers) [MLB, NFL]
21: Denver ('01 Avalanche) [ALL]
21: Sacramento [NBA]
20: Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
17: Nashville [NHL, NFL]
17: Orlando [NBA]
14: San Jose [NHL]
13: New York ('03 Devils) [ALL]
12: Baltimore ('00 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
12: Jacksonville [NFL]
12: Los Angeles ('02 Angels) [ALL]
10: Detroit ('04 Pistons) [ALL]
10: Green Bay ('96 Packers) [NFL]
7: Boston ('04 Patriots) [ALL]
7: Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
6: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
5: Columbus [NHL]
4: Chicago ('05 White Sox) [ALL]
3: Pittsburgh ('05 Steelers) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
2: Charlotte/Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NBA, NHL, NFL]
2: Miami ('06 Heat) [ALL]
1: San Antonio ('05 Spurs) [NBA]
1: St Louis ('06 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB, NFL]

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-22-07 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-22-07, 02:32 PM   #24
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't get the NJ Nets/Devils placed in the NY group. Might as well put Balt and DC together then.
Old 01-22-07, 03:23 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

And if you want to get technical about NC, not like it matters in terms of the last title, but the Hurricanes spent their first two seasons in Greensboro before moving to Raleigh.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine