DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hide Wikipost
Old 02-06-17, 09:21 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Sports Futility
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Obi-Wan Jabroni
List has been updated through Super Bowl LI: New England Patriots over Atlanta Falcons 34-28 (OT) - February 5th, 2017

Seasons: City (Last Champion) [leagues]
111: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB] (includes 53 seasons as home to Chargers, 4 seasons as home to Clippers, and 6 seasons as home to Rockets)
103: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
91: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
85: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
75: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [NBA, MLB, NFL] (includes 11 seasons as home to Thrashers)
66: Canada (all cities) ('93 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
59: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
59: Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
52: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
47: Charlotte [NBA, NFL]
41: Philadelphia ('06 Phillies) [ALL]
39: (*)Nashville [NHL, NFL]
39: Portland ('77 Trailblazers) [NBA]
38: (*) Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
37: Salt Lake City [NBA]
34: Detroit ('08 Red Wings) [ALL]
31: Sacramento [NBA]
27: Orlando [NBA]
25: San Jose [NHL]
23: Columbus [NHL] (includes 7 seasons as home to the Panhandles/Tigers)
22: Jacksonville [NFL]
22: Dallas ('11 Mavericks) [ALL]
19: Indianapolis ('06 Colts) [NBA, NFL]
19: New York ('11 Giants) [ALL]
18: (*)Wisconsin ('10 Packers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
16: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
16: (*)Miami ('13 Heat) [ALL]
15: St Louis ('11 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB] (includes 4 seasons as home to the Rams)
13: New Orleans ('09 Saints) [NBA, NFL]
10: Oklahoma City [NBA] (includes 2 seasons as home to the NO/OKC Hornets)
10: Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NHL]
10: Baltimore ('12 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
8: Los Angeles ('14 Kings) [ALL]
7: Seattle ('13 Seahawks) [MLB, NFL]
7: San Francisco ('14 Giants) [MLB, NFL]
5: Oakland ('15 Warriors) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
4: Denver ('15 Broncos) [ALL]
3: (*)Kansas City ('15 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
2: San Antonio ('14 Spurs) [NBA]
2: Pittsburgh ('16 Penguins) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
2: Cleveland ('16 Cavaliers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
1: Chicago ('16 Cubs) [ALL]
0: Boston ('16 Patriots) [ALL]

(*) - City moved up at least one place in the standings in the most recent update.

Ties are broken in favor of cities that have never won a championship, then by cities that have had the most time elapse since their last championship.

In the above, I lump teams that are in the same market together. Thus, the Giants, Jets, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Nets, Knicks, Yankees and Mets are all "New York". I consider the AFL to be an equivalent "major" league from 1960-65 since they had their own championship prior to playing the NFL champion in what would become the SuperBowl following the 1966 season. Also, I show AFL/NFL champions in the year the season was played, regardless of whether the championship occurred in December or January of the following year. Currently, the championships occur in this order: NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL; prior to the 2006, the NBA Finals occured prior to the Stanley Cup.

The list does NOT include cities who have had major league teams in the past but who are sports-less today (like Fort Wayne, Rochester and Omaha). The list also lumps all of Canada together and treats it as one "city".

Print Wikipost

Old 10-22-07, 11:21 AM   #76
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
Poor Cleveland. They get nothing and Boston gets everything (baseball, football, and even a good basketball team now).
didn't you hear? Lebron is going to deliver at least the next 8-10 NBA championships to cleveland.. So they should be ok.
Old 10-22-07, 11:30 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I just caught a minor error.
Maybe I added wrong, but did you accidentally count the 1994 MLB season?
Old 10-22-07, 12:03 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Just read through this thread because of the recent bumps -- great work, kenbuzz!

I've often debated what is the greater futility--not winning championships or not even making it to the postseason? Cleveland fans have suffered, but they've had some good, entertaining teams in recent years--some that have competed at a championship level.

Of course, that's a whole other debate...one that I had with folks prior to the Cards winning in '06. I was talking with friends who cheered on the Cubs and while they were bemoaning not making it to the World Series in forever, I pointed out that the Cards had made it ('85, '87, '04) and lost in ugly fashion... Whose pain is worse? Who can say for sure.
Old 10-22-07, 12:35 PM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Poor Cleveland?

What about San Diego - it's been a year longer for San Diego since our last title than for Cleveland, AND we've lost TWO NBA teams (Rockets, Clippers).

San Diego has never won a World Series OR Super Bowl, and has just ONE AFL Championship to our credit. We've been teased many times over the years with good teams, but they've never come through with the big win.

Believe me, sports fans in San Diego are frustrated like you wouldn't believe.
Old 10-22-07, 02:08 PM   #80
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Poor Cleveland?

What about San Diego - it's been a year longer for San Diego since our last title than for Cleveland, AND we've lost TWO NBA teams (Rockets, Clippers).

San Diego has never won a World Series OR Super Bowl, and has just ONE AFL Championship to our credit. We've been teased many times over the years with good teams, but they've never come through with the big win.

Believe me, sports fans in San Diego are frustrated like you wouldn't believe.
Well, it's not like San Diego is a real city or anything. Maybe kinda on par with Tampa or Charlotte. Most of the residents just jumped on the bandwagon when they moved there within the last 10 years or so.
Old 10-22-07, 02:33 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoze
Well, it's not like San Diego is a real city or anything. Maybe kinda on par with Tampa or Charlotte. Most of the residents just jumped on the bandwagon when they moved there within the last 10 years or so.

I know you're kidding, but there is some of that attitude out there. 7th largest city in the country and we still get no respect - no respect I tellya!

(Hey, I'm a 2nd generation SoCal native - born in San Diego in '68!)
Old 10-22-07, 03:15 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

sports futility: the rockies attempting to sell world series tix!

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 10-22-07, 03:25 PM   #83
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
sports futility: the rockies attempting to sell world series tix!
That's because the state workers got shut out:

Quote:
The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 10/19/2007 07:17:25 PM MDT

A plan for state emergency workers to buy World Series tickets using work computers has been quashed after 9News obtained a memo on the proposal.

Employees at the Colorado Emergency Operations Center in Centennial were encouraged in an office e-mail this morning to attempt to buy World Series tickets using their fast, state-owned supercomputers, 9News reported.

"I need volunteers to help push the buttons in attempting access. You will need to use break time, lunch time or leave time to do this and the only real perk I can offer right now is that if someone does not pay for their tickets within 3 days, you will get first crack at them," said David Holm, who had recently been acting director of the Division of Emergency Management.

The e-mail says workers were going to start at around 9:30 a.m. on Monday morning. The tickets are set to go on sale on ColoradoRockies.com on Monday at 10 a.m.

Susan Kirkpatrick, the executive director of the Department of Local Affairs, approved the plan, according to the e-mail.

Full story
Old 10-29-07, 09:22 AM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Boston sweeps Colorado for the 2007 MLB Crown

121: Cleveland ('64 Browns) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
97: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB, NFL]
97: Philadelphia ('83 76ers) [ALL]
85: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
85: Seattle ('79 Supersonics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
73: Milwaukee ('71 Bucks) [NBA, MLB]
56: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
49: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
48: (*)Oakland ('89 Athletics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
47: New Orleans [NBA, NFL]
44: Kansas City ('85 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
43: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [ALL]
39: Canada (all cities) ('93 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
34: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
32: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
31: (*)Dallas ('00 Stars) [ALL]
30: Portland ('77 Trail Blazers) [NBA]
29: Charlotte [NBA, NFL]
28: Salt Lake City [NBA]
25: San Francisco ('94 49ers) [MLB, NFL]
24: Denver ('01 Avalanche) [ALL]
23: (*)Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
22: Sacramento [NBA]
18: Orlando [NBA]
17: Nashville [NHL, NFL]
16: (*)New York ('03 Devils) [ALL]
15: San Jose [NHL]
13: (*)Baltimore ('00 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
13: (*)Detroit ('04 Pistons) [ALL]
12: Jacksonville [NFL]
10: Green Bay ('96 Packers) [NFL]
9: Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
8: (*)Chicago ('05 White Sox) [ALL]
7: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
6: Columbus [NHL]
5: Pittsburgh ('05 Steelers) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
5: Miami ('06 Heat) [ALL]
3: St Louis ('06 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
2: (*)Los Angeles ('07 Ducks) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
1: Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NHL]
1: Indianapolis ('06 Colts) [NBA, NFL]
0: San Antonio ('07 Spurs) [NBA]
0: Boston ('07 Red Sox) [ALL]

(*) - City moved up at least one place in the standings in the most recent update.

Ties are broken in favor of cities that have never won a championship, then by cities that have had the most time elapse since their last championship.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 11-01-07 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 09:22 AM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the same list, ranked in terms of number of years since a championship, regardless of the number of teams playing in a given market.

1963 San Diego
1964 Cleveland
1965 Buffalo
1967 *New Orleans
1971 Milwaukee
1977 Portland
1979 *Salt Lake City
1979 Seattle
1983 Philadelphia
1985 *Sacramento
1985 Kansas City
1989 *Charlotte
1989 *Orlando
1989 Oakland
1990 Cincinnati
1991 *San Jose
1991 Minneapolis
1991 Washington
1993 Canada (all cities)
1994 San Francisco
1995 Houston
1995 Atlanta
1995 *Jacksonville
1996 Green Bay
1997 *Memphis
1998 *Nashville
2000 Dallas
2000 *Columbus
2000 Baltimore
2001 Denver
2001 Phoenix
2003 New York
2004 Detroit
2004 Tampa
2005 Chicago
2005 Pittsburgh
2006 Miami
2006 Raliegh
2006 St Louis
2006 Indianapolis
2007 Los Angeles
2007 San Antonio
2007 Boston

* = City has zero championships. Date is based on first professional season played there.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 10-29-07 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 10:38 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Maybe I added wrong, but did you accidentally count the 1994 MLB season?
Old 10-29-07, 11:24 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Dunno. I'll certainly go back and check, though my spreadsheet clearly shows NO MLB champion in 1994. Perhaps since the season was played but there was no playoffs, I might be counting the season as a non-championship one for all cities with MLB teams that year.

As I said, I dunno, but I'll check here during lunch.
Old 10-29-07, 11:26 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

1994 should count, IMO.
Old 10-29-07, 12:01 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
1994 should count, IMO.
I tend to agree, but I still need to double-check the numbers to ensure that that assumption was used for all of the cities surveyed.
Old 10-29-07, 12:13 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

So far, I've not yet found any other city whose count is off. I don't know how Phoenix got off by one, but all of the other cities (especially those whose last championship came pre-1994) seem to be correct. If anyone comes up with something different than what I've posted above, please let me know and I'll double-check your work, but I think these numbers are correct.

Note, I apparently *am* counting the 1994 MLB season as played for all MLB cities, even though there was no champion that year. This is different than the 2005 NHL season which was cancelled outright.
Old 12-30-07, 10:12 PM   #91
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can add 1 more year to Cleveland's total, since the Titans just beat the Colts to beat out the Browns for the 6th AFC playoff spot.

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 12-30-07, 10:42 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Yaay, not only did Tennessee's win knock the Brownies out, but the fact that the Colts lost AND scored under 16 points won me and my family a steak dinner at my boss's expense!

We bet during preseason on the Colts and Bengals. Whichever won more games against common opponents would earn a steak dinner, with total points scored in those games as the tiebreaker. Cincy went 3-2, with wins over Baltimore (twice) and Tennessee, and losses to KC and New England. Indy was 3-1, having lost to New England. The tiebreaker was 116-100 Bengals going into the final game, so either a Colt victory OR Indy putting 17 points on the board would've cost me, but I dodged both (thank you Jim Sorgi!) and me and my family will be dining well in January!

Old 02-04-08, 04:01 PM   #93
Admin-Self Banned

Can we get this updated? Long suffering NY fans finally have a championship.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 02-04-08, 08:02 PM   #94
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
While the city of Cleveland continues to suffer.....

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 02-05-08, 08:48 AM   #95
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
While the city of Cleveland continues to suffer.....
That's true, but those Canadian Soldiers (flying ants) kicked the Yanks butts this fall.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 02-05-08, 09:49 AM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega
Okay, working on it now...
Old 02-05-08, 09:49 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

The Giants knock off the Patriots to win Super Bowl XLII

122: Cleveland ('64 Browns) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
98: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB, NFL]
98: Philadelphia ('83 76ers) [ALL]
86: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
86: Seattle ('79 Supersonics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
73: Milwaukee ('71 Bucks) [NBA, MLB]
57: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
50: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
49: Oakland ('89 Athletics) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
48: New Orleans [NBA, NFL]
45: Kansas City ('85 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
44: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [ALL]
39: Canada (all cities) ('93 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
35: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
33: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
32: Dallas ('00 Stars) [ALL]
30: (*)Charlotte [NBA, NFL]
30: Portland ('77 Trail Blazers) [NBA]
28: Salt Lake City [NBA]
26: San Francisco ('94 49ers) [MLB, NFL]
25: Denver ('01 Avalanche) [ALL]
24: Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
22: Sacramento [NBA]
18: Orlando [NBA]
18: Nashville [NHL, NFL]
15: San Jose [NHL]
14: Baltimore ('00 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
14: Detroit ('04 Pistons) [ALL]
13: Jacksonville [NFL]
11: Green Bay ('96 Packers) [NFL]
10: Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
9: Chicago ('05 White Sox) [ALL]
7: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
6: Columbus [NHL]
6: Pittsburgh ('05 Steelers) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
6: Miami ('06 Heat) [ALL]
4: St Louis ('06 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
2: Los Angeles ('07 Ducks) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
2: (*)Indianapolis ('06 Colts) [NBA, NFL]
1: Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NHL]
1: (*)Boston ('07 Red Sox) [ALL]
0: San Antonio ('07 Spurs) [NBA]
0: New York ('07 Giants) [ALL]

Old 02-05-08, 09:50 AM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the same list, ranked in terms of number of years since a championship, regardless of the number of teams playing in a given market.

1963 San Diego
1964 Cleveland
1965 Buffalo
1967 *New Orleans
1971 Milwaukee
1977 Portland
1979 *Salt Lake City
1979 Seattle
1983 Philadelphia
1985 *Sacramento
1985 Kansas City
1989 *Charlotte
1989 *Orlando
1989 Oakland
1990 Cincinnati
1991 *San Jose
1991 Minneapolis
1991 Washington
1993 Canada (all cities)
1994 San Francisco
1995 Houston
1995 Atlanta
1995 *Jacksonville
1996 Green Bay
1997 *Memphis
1998 *Nashville
2000 Dallas
2000 *Columbus
2000 Baltimore
2001 Denver
2001 Phoenix
2004 Detroit
2004 Tampa
2005 Chicago
2005 Pittsburgh
2006 Miami
2006 Raliegh
2006 St Louis
2006 Indianapolis
2007 Los Angeles
2007 San Antonio
2007 Boston
2007 New York

* = City has zero championships. Date is based on first professional season played there.
Old 02-05-08, 09:53 AM   #99
DVD Talk God

Seems to me that Milwaukee and Green Bay should be considered one market. For years, the Packers played 3 regular season games in Milwaukee County Stadium and even today, they still have the Milwaukee Season Ticket Package (3-games + 1 preseason) for Packer games.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-05-08, 10:02 AM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting observation. If they were combined into a single "Wisconsin" market (with NFL, NBA and MLB teams), they would have gone 22 seasons since a championship, their most recent being the '96 Packers. Well, 21, considering the recent non-NHL year. The market would drop from 6th to 23rd, sitting between Sacramento and Orlando.