DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hide Wikipost
Old 02-06-17, 09:21 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Sports Futility
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Obi-Wan Jabroni
List has been updated through Super Bowl LI: New England Patriots over Atlanta Falcons 34-28 (OT) - February 5th, 2017

Seasons: City (Last Champion) [leagues]
111: San Diego ('63 Chargers (AFL)) [MLB] (includes 53 seasons as home to Chargers, 4 seasons as home to Clippers, and 6 seasons as home to Rockets)
103: Buffalo ('65 Bills (AFL)) [NHL, NFL]
91: Minneapolis ('91 Twins) [ALL]
85: Washington ('91 Redskins) [ALL]
75: Atlanta ('95 Braves) [NBA, MLB, NFL] (includes 11 seasons as home to Thrashers)
66: Canada (all cities) ('93 Blue Jays) [NHL, NBA, MLB]
59: Houston ('95 Rockets) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
59: Phoenix ('01 Diamondbacks) [ALL]
52: Cincinnati ('90 Reds) [MLB, NFL]
47: Charlotte [NBA, NFL]
41: Philadelphia ('06 Phillies) [ALL]
39: (*)Nashville [NHL, NFL]
39: Portland ('77 Trailblazers) [NBA]
38: (*) Tampa ('04 Lightning) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
37: Salt Lake City [NBA]
34: Detroit ('08 Red Wings) [ALL]
31: Sacramento [NBA]
27: Orlando [NBA]
25: San Jose [NHL]
23: Columbus [NHL] (includes 7 seasons as home to the Panhandles/Tigers)
22: Jacksonville [NFL]
22: Dallas ('11 Mavericks) [ALL]
19: Indianapolis ('06 Colts) [NBA, NFL]
19: New York ('11 Giants) [ALL]
18: (*)Wisconsin ('10 Packers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
16: Memphis [NBA] (includes 1 season as home to the Tennessee Oilers)
16: (*)Miami ('13 Heat) [ALL]
15: St Louis ('11 Cardinals) [NHL, MLB] (includes 4 seasons as home to the Rams)
13: New Orleans ('09 Saints) [NBA, NFL]
10: Oklahoma City [NBA] (includes 2 seasons as home to the NO/OKC Hornets)
10: Raleigh ('06 Hurricanes) [NHL]
10: Baltimore ('12 Ravens) [MLB, NFL]
8: Los Angeles ('14 Kings) [ALL]
7: Seattle ('13 Seahawks) [MLB, NFL]
7: San Francisco ('14 Giants) [MLB, NFL]
5: Oakland ('15 Warriors) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
4: Denver ('15 Broncos) [ALL]
3: (*)Kansas City ('15 Royals) [MLB, NFL]
2: San Antonio ('14 Spurs) [NBA]
2: Pittsburgh ('16 Penguins) [NHL, MLB, NFL]
2: Cleveland ('16 Cavaliers) [NBA, MLB, NFL]
1: Chicago ('16 Cubs) [ALL]
0: Boston ('16 Patriots) [ALL]

(*) - City moved up at least one place in the standings in the most recent update.

Ties are broken in favor of cities that have never won a championship, then by cities that have had the most time elapse since their last championship.

In the above, I lump teams that are in the same market together. Thus, the Giants, Jets, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Nets, Knicks, Yankees and Mets are all "New York". I consider the AFL to be an equivalent "major" league from 1960-65 since they had their own championship prior to playing the NFL champion in what would become the SuperBowl following the 1966 season. Also, I show AFL/NFL champions in the year the season was played, regardless of whether the championship occurred in December or January of the following year. Currently, the championships occur in this order: NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL; prior to the 2006, the NBA Finals occured prior to the Stanley Cup.

The list does NOT include cities who have had major league teams in the past but who are sports-less today (like Fort Wayne, Rochester and Omaha). The list also lumps all of Canada together and treats it as one "city".

Print Wikipost

Old 06-19-16, 09:56 PM   #376
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Sports Futility

I would really like to see the list updated with Cleveland at the bottom instead of the top.

PSN Name ZacharyTF
Old 06-20-16, 01:18 AM   #377
DVD Talk Legend

Be my guest. I gave up on this many seasons ago due to overall apathy on the board, but if you want to do all the updates 4x a year from now on, I certainly won't stop you.
Old 06-20-16, 06:04 PM   #378
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should cities without a WWE Champ be added?
Old 06-20-16, 07:26 PM   #379
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Should cities without a WWE Champ be added?
People here are still pretending that's a sport? Huh.
Old 06-21-16, 09:42 PM   #380
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Be my guest. I gave up on this many seasons ago due to overall apathy on the board, but if you want to do all the updates 4x a year from now on, I certainly won't stop you.
Awe. I was hoping for an update too. I'm too lazy to do it, but I will enjoy it if the thread is updated.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 06-21-16, 10:18 PM   #381
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Thanks for getting the Seahawks done!
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-22-16, 03:30 PM   #382
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I updated the list and added it in a Wiki, so anyone can update it going forward. I hope I did everything right, but if you find any errors, feel free to correct them. A lot of the longer streaks have been broken.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 06-22-16, 03:32 PM   #383
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Obi-Wan!
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-22-16, 03:55 PM   #384
DVD Talk Godfather

Smart use of the wiki.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 06-22-16, 03:57 PM   #385
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I updated the list and added it in a Wiki, so anyone can update it going forward. I hope I did everything right, but if you find any errors, feel free to correct them. A lot of the longer streaks have been broken.
Sweet! This is the most valid reason for that wiki feature yet imho. We can continue the thread without deleting any evidence of Ken's hard work.

Obi-Wan!
Old 07-04-16, 08:26 PM   #386
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Hello San Diego!
We are NEVER going to see a major sports championship in San Diego. I guarantee you that most of the sports fans in town would gladly give up some of our nice weather (permanently) for just one Super Bowl win.

I'd give up 15 degrees per day in January every year in perpetuity if we could win just one Super Bowl.

I've been saying for years that San Diego sports fans have been screwed more than any other. We have zero real major league championships (the AFL was most certainly considered to be a minor league at that time). San Diego will never see a major college championship, either, because SDSU has been blackballed from the PAC by USC, UCLA, and the Arizona schools (they want San Diego for themselves as far as recruiting goes).

There are a ton of great athletes in all sports that have come from San Diego (disproportionately so), but never a championship for our major sports teams.
Old 07-12-16, 12:07 PM   #387
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is San Diego the only city with multiple Hesiman Trophy winners,Superbowl MVP's and Masters Winners . Along with a Mult time Nascar Champ a former WWE Champ,Royal Rumble Winner,Wimbledon Winner,Multiple Tennis Hall Of Famers,Pitcher of a perfect game in the world series,Nba finals MVP and the first American Champions League winner in Soccer.
Old 11-02-16, 11:54 PM   #388
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wiki updated to reflect Cubs World Series win.

-----
Old 11-03-16, 12:18 AM   #389
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good to see the Cubs win. 108 years since their last World Series championship was way too long.

I've got to ask, though, it doesn't seem that the Wiki counts the Rockets or Clippers for San Diego - shouldn't those years be added in to the total? Not only did we go all those years without any playoff success, but we lost those teams, too! But those seasons should count towards the total since it's all part of the unreal futility of San Diego when it comes to major league sports...
Old 02-06-17, 11:32 AM   #390
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

List has been updated with results of Super Bowl LI.

Also, I addressed B5Erik's concern above, but In my research, I actually had to take away 4 seasons from their number.

I was just using the numbers that kenbuzz had started with, and when I went to look into his concern, I found that there have been 53 Chargers seasons since the AFL title win in 1963, 48 Seasons of Padres Baseball, 4 Seasons of Clippers Basketball, and 6 seasons of Rockets Basketball.

53+48+4+6= 111

kenbuzz's number for San Diego when he last updated in this list in February 2014 was 110, so I'm not sure where that came from, unless I'm missing something else.

The list does now indicate them as former homes to the Clippers, Rockets, and unfortunately, the Chargers, though.

-----
Old 02-06-17, 11:41 AM   #391
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
List has been updated with results of Super Bowl LI.

Also, I addressed B5Erik's concern above, but In my research, I actually had to take away 4 seasons from their number.

I was just using the numbers that kenbuzz had started with, and when I went to look into his concern, I found that there have been 53 Chargers seasons since the AFL title win in 1963, 48 Seasons of Padres Baseball, 4 Seasons of Clippers Basketball, and 6 seasons of Rockets Basketball.

53+48+4+6= 111

kenbuzz's number for San Diego when he last updated in this list in February 2014 was 110, so I'm not sure where that came from, unless I'm missing something else.

The list does now indicate them as former homes to the Clippers, Rockets, and unfortunately, the Chargers, though.
There is not a city that has suffered from sports misery and futility more than San Diego, and it is now likely that San Diego will NEVER win a true Major Sports League Championship. (The AFL title was considered to be, essentially, a minor league title at the time.)

The Padres certainly aren't going to win a World Series in my lifetime. The way MLB is set up they're a AAAA team.