Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-10-05, 04:49 PM   #1
flip_hop9

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Vale Tudo?

I was wondering if anyone here took or is taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I was gonna enroll in a school in september and wanted to know how long it would take someone to incorporate Vale Tudo (or No-holds-barred) techniques into their BJJ. Thanks
Old 08-11-05, 10:21 AM   #2
bigsoos
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip_hop9
I was wondering if anyone here took or is taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I was gonna enroll in a school in september and wanted to know how long it would take someone to incorporate Vale Tudo (or No-holds-barred) techniques into their BJJ. Thanks
My cousin has taken it and loves it. We usually practice when we hang out and he teaches me stuff here and there. He's taking that plus Krav Maga.

From what he's showed me, I don't think it should take long to incorporate Vale Tudo.

Edit:
Talked to my cousin and gave me some info. The basic difference between the BJJ and VT is that you don't have a gi in VT, so there is some variation in your BJJ techniques. If you have a good background in BJJ, you should be able to incorporate VT with no problem.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

Last edited by bigsoos; 08-11-05 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 12:52 AM   #3
DeltaSigChi4
Suspended

Delta takes BJJ (both with pajamas and w/o) and has plans to take a MMA fight soon. It takes awhile to get good at subs and some academys don't offer no-gi or VT instruction/rolling. Make sure you make your intentions known beforehand to your instructor or ass-instructor and that you find a couple of buddies to free train with so you can practice whatever techniques you learn.

I'd suggest you join one of the numerous fite™ forums that are out there as well.

E
Old 08-16-05, 12:17 PM   #4
bill_n_opus
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.sherdog.com

among others ....

w-y