Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-10-05, 10:34 AM   #1
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Will USC threepeat?

no ncaa football team has ever accomplished a threepeat.. but USC is a strong favorite to do just that this year

although the coaching changes.. most noteably the loss of norm chow.. could be their downfall

not to mention over half of the defense will be new starters

Quote:
2005 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/03 at Hawaii 11:59 PM
09/17 Arkansas 10:15 PM
09/24 at Oregon 7:00 PM
10/01 at #18 Arizona St TBD
10/08 Arizona TBD
10/15 at N Dame 3:30 PM
10/22 at Washington 3:30 PM
10/29 Wash St TBD
11/05 Stanford TBD
11/12 at #20 California TBD
11/19 Fresno St TBD
12/03 UCLA 4:30 PM
Old 08-10-05, 02:55 PM   #2
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Being an alum, I hope so, but I'm thinking they'll lose at least a game or two. Arkansas, though unranked, will be the first test, and they're on the road against two ranked teams and ND. Cal especially will be tough, and they've been the hardest game on the schedule for a few years now. Not to mention the UCLA game is a toss up no matter what the rankings are (last year, a bad call cost UCLA the game).

I'm interested to see what happens to Leinart's stock if they don't repeat, or if Bush takes the spotlight away from him. Luckily, Bush gets a lot of his yards through passing, so it should be much like this year.
Old 08-10-05, 05:58 PM   #3
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I was debating throwing a few bucks on Under 11 (reg season) Wins for them.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-10-05, 07:47 PM   #4
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

I think they will lose one game this year...I think at ND will be an upset waiting to happen, but I think someone will sneak up on them and drop a loss on them. I think they still will probably win the National Championship besides that.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 08-10-05, 09:06 PM   #5
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Is it some sort of BCS protest that caused you to not make this a poll?
Old 08-10-05, 09:08 PM   #6
twikoff
DVD Talk God

nope.. I'm sick and not thinking straight (yea, too easy)
the last 4 or 5 threads that I meant to create a poll.. I forgot until it was too late
Old 08-10-05, 09:44 PM   #7
Josh H
Retired

Too early to tell.

There certainly the favorite on paer, but still they lost a lot and there will be a lot of parity this season
Old 08-11-05, 02:20 AM   #8
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig
Cal especially will be tough, and they've been the hardest game on the schedule for a few years now.
Cal's caught them early in the year the past couple seasons, USC will probably be rolling by the time they meet them this year. Plus didn't Cal lose almost all their defensive playmakers from last season?
Old 08-11-05, 03:55 AM   #9
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

No. Chance. In. Hell.
Old 08-11-05, 07:03 AM   #10
kenbuzz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by twikoff
no ncaa football team has ever accomplished a threepeat.. but USC is a strong favorite to do just that this year
What are you talking about? There is no "Championship" in Division one -- just popularity contests.
Old 08-11-05, 08:04 AM   #11
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

I don't acknowledge there 2003 title, so I guess not. But they can repeat
Old 08-11-05, 08:05 AM   #12
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
What are you talking about? There is no "Championship" in Division one -- just popularity contests.
Hey, tell that to Division-IAA teams!
Old 08-11-05, 01:01 PM   #13
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Cal's caught them early in the year the past couple seasons, USC will probably be rolling by the time they meet them this year. Plus didn't Cal lose almost all their defensive playmakers from last season?
Plus they lost their QB and RB. And it is true that Carrol's record late in the season is amazing. But I just can't underestimate them...

Not to mention, in my scientific study (season mode of NCAA 2006), they were ranked #2 by the time I (being USC) played them... so statistically, at least, they have some talent.
Old 08-11-05, 03:32 PM   #14
Aphex Twin
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're going to lose to UCLA THIS YEAR!
Old 08-12-05, 04:00 AM   #15
Trelach24
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sure hope so. I love watching dynasties.
Old 08-12-05, 09:26 AM   #16
Cusm
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First they have to repeat.
XBL:Cusm PSN:DarthCusm D3:Cusm#1847
Old 08-12-05, 09:45 AM   #17
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Only if they get by Penn State.

Old 08-12-05, 05:51 PM   #18
clemente
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope not...but if there the most vunearable since they've been in a few years (since they lost Palmer, Fargas, and McCullough in the same season)

No Chow....a few games early last season were won solely by Chow's ability to use Reggie Bush. It's pretty certain that the two new young offensive coordinators are not his equal (but Bush and Leinart are more seasoned....tradeoff)
Loss of veteran defensive starters...Tatapu, Patterson and Cody has been stalwarts for a few seasons and they're playing on Sunday's now. I expect guys like Rucker and Sartz to step up as D-leaders and Carroll has always been good about getting those young guys in there so their not completely unaware of the speed of the game. However, they won't be anywhere near as good.
Punting...Tom Malone is back. Tom Malone for Heisman!

The schedule isn't killer and there aren't any super powerhouse this year (or at least their don't appear to be), so a 1 loss USC team still has a chance to play in Pasadena.

But I paid a lot of money for my USC degree, so maybe I'm just biased.
Old 08-13-05, 01:06 AM   #19
Dabaomb
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that they'll repeat. The Pac-10 is an easy division. Cal is definitely weaker with the loss of Aaron Rogers and J.J. Arringtong. Outside of that, they only play N.D. which is a very mediocre team.

They won't get challenged until the National Title game.

My DVD Profiler
Old 08-13-05, 01:19 AM   #20
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I think that they'll repeat. The Pac-10 is an easy division. Cal is definitely weaker with the loss of Aaron Rogers and J.J. Arringtong. Outside of that, they only play N.D. which is a very mediocre team.

They won't get challenged until the National Title game.
I don't think you are giving nearly enough credit to their games AT Oregon and Arizona State. Neither of those games are going to be cakewalks.
Old 08-13-05, 02:09 PM   #21
kurupt

With that schedule, both in and out of conference, they certainly have a good shot of at least reaching the title game. While I hate them and I'm sick of hearing about Lienart (come on, 3/4ths of his td passes were to recievers who didn't have a defender within 10 yards), they are in the Pac-10 and they will start out the season with the top ranking, which means much more than it should.
Old 08-13-05, 03:22 PM   #22
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Geez with that conf scheule any team that doesn't win at least 7 conf games should be ashamed
Old 08-13-05, 03:26 PM   #23
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Geez with that conf scheule any team that doesn't win at least 7 conf games should be ashamed

How can they all win 7+?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-13-05, 03:29 PM   #24
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

any team as "good" as USC i what I meant
Old 08-13-05, 06:06 PM   #25
magicmanej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I don't think you are giving nearly enough credit to their games AT Oregon and Arizona State. Neither of those games are going to be cakewalks.
Agreed. Oregon is very tough at home b/c Autzen Stadium is a tough place to play. Just ask Michigan...I think Oregon got them a couple of years ago when they came in as the #3 team in the nation.

As much as it pains me to say it, U$C will probably run the table again. It'll probably depend on whether they get overconfident or lose their focus...and at some point in the season they'll probably have to squeak one out on the road. But in terms of sheer talent, they are loaded and should (on paper) beat every team they play. But that's why they play the games, right?
Sponsored Links