Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-26-05, 11:46 AM   #1
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

RFK - switching between baseball and soccer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042501267.html
Quote:
D.C. United might have been playing on a lopsided field at RFK Stadium on Saturday night.

According to a report filed by the MLS officiating crew following United's game against the New England Revolution, there appeared to be a six-yard difference between the two diagonal lengths of the field.

Before the game, two officials "very unscientifically walked it off," Joe Machnik, who oversees MLS's on-field competition, said in a telephone interview yesterday. "One of the [lengths] was six yards longer than the other, which could mean the field was not a true rectangle and was more like [another type of] parallelogram.
The MLB and MLS season pretty much overlap completely. I realize the United were playing at RFK for years, but would it be that difficult to have them play in FedEx or Byrd Stadium at the University of Maryland? Especially since the United are supposed to get their own, brand new, "soccer only" facility.
Old 04-26-05, 11:47 AM   #2
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

I was at last nights Nats game. I couldn't figure out (from the faint lines on the field) how a full soccer fueld would fit.
Old 04-26-05, 11:49 AM   #3
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I was at last nights Nats game. I couldn't figure out (from the faint lines on the field) how a full soccer fueld would fit.

The seats in one part of the stadium are on rollers and are moved for soccer (and football back in the day).
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 04-26-05, 11:50 AM   #4
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I like Tony Kornheiser's idea. Let the United play in Lot 8 of the stadium.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-26-05, 11:51 AM   #5
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
The seats in one part of the stadium are on rollers and are moved for soccer (and football back in the day).

ahh, yeah I can see it now.
Old 04-26-05, 11:53 AM   #6
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
baseball:

soccer:
Old 04-26-05, 12:17 PM   #7
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We had the same problem in Rochester (N.Y.). Our Minor League baseball team shared Frontier Field with the A-League Rhinos for about nine years. The field ended up getting chewed to pieces. They even imported natural turf from somewhere to patch up sore spots. Didn't work. One team was always defending a penalty area on the right side of the baseball infield. When the field was wet, it was a disaster.

Paetec Park, the new soccer-specific stadium, is set to open this fall (hopefully by playoff time).
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 04-26-05, 12:28 PM   #8
Flashback
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I realize the United were playing at RFK for years, but would it be that difficult to have them play in FedEx or Byrd Stadium at the University of Maryland? Especially since the United are supposed to get their own, brand new, "soccer only" facility.
I can't believe that soccer would require the seating capacity of RFK, or FedEx for that matter. I see no reason why they just do not play at a local college. But I could be wrong.
Old 04-26-05, 12:30 PM   #9
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback
I can't believe that soccer would require the seating capacity of RFK, or FedEx for that matter. I see no reason why they just do not play at a local college. But I could be wrong.

They actually close off the upper deck at RFK for United games.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-26-05, 12:43 PM   #10
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Chicago plays in Soldier Field
DC plays at RFK
KC plays at Arrowhead
NY/NJ plays at Giants Stadium
NE plays at Foxboro
Colorado plays at Mile High
Dallas plays at the Cotton Bowl
Salt Lake plays at Rice-Eccles

It's not unusual for MLS teams to play in stadiums that hold a lot more people than the teams require, they just don't sell tickets for every single seat.
Old 04-26-05, 05:36 PM   #11
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I like Tony Kornheiser's idea. Let the United play in Lot 8 of the stadium.
I agree, it's not like more than a few thousand hundred go to MLS games anyway
Old 04-26-05, 05:40 PM   #12
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quick fact: This is the first time the word "parallelogram" has been used in the sports forum.
Old 04-26-05, 09:51 PM   #13
RMSpuhler

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042501267.html The MLB and MLS season pretty much overlap completely. I realize the United were playing at RFK for years, but would it be that difficult to have them play in FedEx or Byrd Stadium at the University of Maryland? Especially since the United are supposed to get their own, brand new, "soccer only" facility.

1) Because "we" (speaking as a season ticket holder while I lived in DC) were there first. We have a lease with DCSEC.

2) UM-College Park does not want a professional sports team there, especially with the pretty crummy infastructure around the stadium in re: transit.

3) FedEx is more expensive to rent, and we have a lease at RFK (see #1).
Old 04-27-05, 12:11 AM   #14
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

And the United are four time champs, send the Nats over to Prince William County or something
Old 04-27-05, 07:37 AM   #15
Flashback
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Chicago plays in Soldier Field
This is the last year for that (pretty sure). They are playing somewhere else with a proper playing field and much smaller.
Old 04-27-05, 08:00 AM   #16
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
And the United are four time champs ...
yeah, but it's SOCCER.
Old 04-27-05, 06:50 PM   #17
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
yeah, but it's SOCCER.
Which sadly is more of a sport than the NBA
Old 04-27-05, 10:06 PM   #18
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
I agree, it's not like more than a few thousand hundred go to MLS games anyway
And you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-28-05, 09:02 AM   #19
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
2) UM-College Park does not want a professional sports team there, especially with the pretty crummy infastructure around the stadium in re: transit.

The Baltimore Stars played there in 1985 in the USFL. They drew bigger crowds than what the United draw, so I don't see what the issue is.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-28-05, 10:23 AM   #20
Josh H
Retired

I imagine traffic is worse than it was then, but I still can't imagine it's a big issue. Though it does absolute suck to get into and out of campus during a sporting event or during rush hour, no good way to get from the interstate to campus and vice versa.

UMD might just not want them on Byrd. Hell the UMD soccer team doesn't even play on Byrd, they put bleachers in at the track and a soccer field in the middle of it.
Old 04-28-05, 11:37 AM   #21
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Hell the UMD soccer team doesn't even play on Byrd, they put bleachers in at the track and a soccer field in the middle of it.

Sounds like Tony K's Lot 8 idea has some precedent.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-28-05, 12:20 PM   #22
RMSpuhler

Quote:
The Baltimore Stars played there in 1985 in the USFL. They drew bigger crowds than what the United draw, so I don't see what the issue is.
You'd be right, if you weren't so wrong.

1985 Baltimore Stars: 14,275
(source: http://www.remembertheusfl.8m.com/attendance.html)

2004 DC United: 17,232
(source: http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/history/ar...t=stats_league)

What's more likely is what Josh is saying - UM-CP just doesn't want United there, which is fine, because United shouldn't have to move for some baseball experiment.

RS
Old 04-28-05, 12:43 PM   #23
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
You'd be right, if you weren't so wrong.

1985 Baltimore Stars: 14,275
(source: http://www.remembertheusfl.8m.com/attendance.html)

2004 DC United: 17,232
(source: http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/history/ar...t=stats_league)

What's more likely is what Josh is saying - UM-CP just doesn't want United there, which is fine, because United shouldn't have to move for some baseball experiment.

RS

Fair enough. Still, the numbers are close.

Baseball experiment. Here's a prediction - the Washington Nationals will be around longer than DC United and the entire MLS.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-30-05, 05:01 PM   #24
Foole
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
And the United are four time champs, send the Nats over to Prince William County or something

Sure, we'll take em... would be an upgrade over the Prince William Cannons...
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrgde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprometnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.