Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-07-05, 02:07 PM   #26
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Dynasty, although i'd like to see them sustain their success for a few more years. Not necessarily win the super bowl again and again, but remain leading contenders, which they undoubtedly will.

It should be intersting. They are losing both coordinaters and have a bunch of free agents. But some people are coming back from injury. And releasing Ty Law could free up about $10 million in cap space.
Old 02-07-05, 02:20 PM   #27
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Easily a dynasty.

I remember being in Cleveland when Art Modell moved the Browns and there were people(esp. one radio sports talkshow host) who said that Art Modell would never win the superbowl and that Bill Bellicheck wouldn't ever win one either.

Hussein Massawi, the former leader of Hezbollah
Old 02-07-05, 02:39 PM   #28
ctyankee
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Bledsoe was not a star QB?

What criteria are you using? By almost ANYBODY'S take, he was a star QB. Christ, look at the size of his contract, if nothing else. But in order for your theory to hold water, he can't be a star...
So a large contract makes for a star quarterback? Perhaps the heart of the problem is that even the word "star" has no meaning anymore. Either that or you are just clueless.

Why use the past tense with Brady? Is he no longer a "star" player? If so, compare his numbers when he was with the Pats versus Brady's.

Brady 97 touchdowns with 52 interceptions 1.865 touchdowns per int.

Bledsoe 166 touchdowns with 138 interceptions 1.203 touchdowns per int.

That's a star quarterback? Come back and play when you know something about football.
Old 02-07-05, 02:47 PM   #29
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Bledsoe was never as good as Brady, but I think he was still a star when he got hurt. Some highlights:

At the young age 23 Drew Bledsoe became the youngest player in NFL history to reach 10,000 yards passing.

In seven seasons, Bledsoe owns the Patriot's career passing record for attempts (3,921) and completion's (2,192).

Drew made 3,921 pass attempts in his first seven seasons as a pro. This is more than any other quarterback during any seven-year period in NFL history.

In 1998, Bledsoe directed the Patriots to the playoffs for the fourth time in five seasons. Before Bledsoe’s arrival, the Patriots had qualified for the playoffs just six times in 33 years.

Drew eclipsed the quarterback rating of 100.0 in 21 games during his career. The Patriots were 20-1 in those games.

Only Dan Marino has passed for more yards in his first five years in the NFL.

Also, he was a pro-bowler and single handedly won the Pats some games. He isnt in Brady's league, but not many people are.
Old 02-07-05, 02:48 PM   #30
Geofferson

Most definitely a dynasty.
Old 02-07-05, 03:34 PM   #31
mautos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Bledsoe was never as good as Brady, but I think he was still a star when he got hurt. Some highlights:

At the young age 23 Drew Bledsoe became the youngest player in NFL history to reach 10,000 yards passing.

In seven seasons, Bledsoe owns the Patriot's career passing record for attempts (3,921) and completion's (2,192).

Drew made 3,921 pass attempts in his first seven seasons as a pro. This is more than any other quarterback during any seven-year period in NFL history.

In 1998, Bledsoe directed the Patriots to the playoffs for the fourth time in five seasons. Before Bledsoe’s arrival, the Patriots had qualified for the playoffs just six times in 33 years.

Drew eclipsed the quarterback rating of 100.0 in 21 games during his career. The Patriots were 20-1 in those games.

Also, he was a pro-bowler and single handedly won the Pats some games. He isnt in Brady's league, but not many people are.
Checkmate
Old 02-07-05, 03:35 PM   #32
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't forget that Bledsoe inherited a crappy team for a few years..
Old 02-07-05, 03:53 PM   #33
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's hype in the sense that they could have just as easily lost any of the three Super Bowls they won, and they are not a dominant football team the way the Cowboys of the 90's, 49ers of the 80s and Steelers of the 70s were. Match any one of those teams against today's Pats and New England would get blownout. Heck, match them up against the Bills of the 90s and they would get blownout.

But given the current state of football with the salary cap and all, it's the closest thing to a dynasty we're going to see from now on. But this dynasty is the result of good coaching and on-field execution as opposed to those old dynsasties, where a team just had far superior players to the opposition. So even though the Pats don't have the kind of talent those older teams had - you might say what they have accomplished is far more impressive.
Old 02-07-05, 03:55 PM   #34
ctyankee
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u

Taking these stats at first glance they seem quite reasonable. But what do they really say?

Bledsoe likes to throw the ball ... alot. Got it. Since when did throwing the ball a lot translate into something important ... like winning games?

Quote:
What the heck kinda worthwhile stat is that? That's like saying in the games that the Pats scored more touchdowns than their opponents they won most of them. Worthless crap. For a QB with a lifetime rating of 76.7 that stat is meaningless and misleading.

He was a pro-bowler. Got it. Just shows we give credit for guys that chuck the ball a lot.

Me. I give credit for QBs that find a way to win games or at least not lose them. Bledsoe? Still refuses to look off his receivers and still throws in double coverage. He was and is a car wreck waiting to happen. Throw for a lot of yards. Absolutely. Tremendous physical gifts? Yes. Kill drives with bonehead decision-making? Yes, all the time. A quarterback that never passed Football 101. Ben Rothlisberger has learned and adapted more to the pro game in one season than Bledsoe has managed in 12.

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-07-05 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 04:08 PM   #35
Phil L.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 02-07-05, 04:11 PM   #36
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

But he was still one of the better QBs at the time. Obviously if the best QB in the league goes down for the year, its going to hurt. Bledsoe was never in that category, but he was still pretty good, and that made him a "star" in my book. Not a superstar like Manning, Brady, or McNabb.
Old 02-07-05, 04:28 PM   #37
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Although the Patriots won by slim margins, I really got a sense in those games that they werent going to lose those games, even against the Rams. They just have an air of confidence, and I think that's what makes them a dynasty. They do what it takes to win, and it never seems to be in question. I am far from a Patriots fan, but they are the epitome of a dynasty.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 02-07-05, 05:15 PM   #38
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What does Bledsoe have to do with the Pats being a dynasty?

So if a dynasty has to cover multiple generations, how many players have come and gone in the last 4 years? How many of the current players have a 2001 superbowl ring?
Old 02-07-05, 05:18 PM   #39
Tandem
DVD Talk Special Edition

Imagine what would have happened if a ref hadn't made the wrong call in a playoff game in the snow against the Raiders a few years back.
Old 02-07-05, 05:19 PM   #40
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

It was the correct call, by all accounts.
Old 02-07-05, 05:22 PM   #41
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just let it go people..let it go..
Old 02-07-05, 05:25 PM   #42
Quake1028
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
They're a dynasty and just to throw it out there...Tom Brady is the best QB of all-time. There I said it.
They are a dynasty, but let's not get crazy there buddy .
Old 02-07-05, 05:28 PM   #43
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir
What does Bledsoe have to do with the Pats being a dynasty?

So if a dynasty has to cover multiple generations, how many players have come and gone in the last 4 years? How many of the current players have a 2001 superbowl ring?

19 players remain from their 1st championship.

Edit: That refers to players who were active in both these Superbowls. I dont think Ty Law is included in that number.
Old 02-07-05, 05:32 PM   #44
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee
Either that or you are just clueless.

Come back and play when you know something about football.
Yeah, your arguments are real effective when they are predicated on attacking the poster.

Bledsoe was a star QB, although obviously not by your standards. But the guy was at one time given a "lifetime" contract by the Pats for 10 years and $103 million. You don't give that to a chump.

I'm not saying Bledsoe was the guy I want, or that Brady isn't better. But by almost anyone's definition but yours, when Bledsoe went down the Pats lost their star QB. His replacement just happened to be better.

But since calling Bledsoe a star QB when he went down somehow hurts your theory, you instead resort to ridiculing me.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 02-07-05, 05:37 PM   #45
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most other teams would have killed to have Bledsoe from 95-00
Old 02-07-05, 06:09 PM   #46
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW Chris...ESPN justs aid the only unrestricted FA we have are:
Patrick Pass
Adam Vinatieri
Joe Andruzzi
David Patten

So reason to see this train stopping as long as they don't hire schlubs for coordinators.
Old 02-07-05, 06:22 PM   #47
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem
Imagine what would have happened if a ref hadn't made the wrong call in a playoff game in the snow against the Raiders a few years back.
The right call was made. You can argue that the rule sucked, but the call was correct with respect to how the rules were written.
Old 02-07-05, 06:37 PM   #48
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by namrufmot
Patrick Pass
Adam Vinatieri
Joe Andruzzi
David Patten

So reason to see this train stopping as long as they don't hire schlubs for coordinators.

Interesting. I could do without Patten. Pass is expendable, too. I think we have a bunch of restricted FAs, though. Givens, Jarvis Green, and Stephen Neal, IIRC.
Old 02-07-05, 06:42 PM   #49
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by namrufmot
Patrick Pass
Adam Vinatieri
Joe Andruzzi
David Patten

There are actually 11, but those are the only high profile names. Andruzzi is the only starter.

Running back Rabih Abdullah, safety Je'Rod Cherry, wide receiver Kevin Kasper, corner Hank Poteat, tackle Adrian Klemm, linebacker Don Davis, and quarterback Jim Miller are also unrestricted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...len&id=1986272
Old 02-07-05, 06:51 PM   #50
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our dynasty is in danger if we lose Jim Miller and Rabih Abdullah

Every one is highly expendable..even Vinatieri is he wants too much. Plus you have to assume some other teams FAs will want to come here...just like Dillon did.