Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-27-05, 01:48 AM   #51
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran
Awesome win for the Terps! That said, that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Approaching 2001 Final Four bad.
and Dook still lost??!!
Old 01-27-05, 02:45 AM   #52
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 01-27-05, 07:42 AM   #53
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

who will be the last unbeaten?

BC's next two games: vs. Georgetown, vs. West Virginia

Illinois's next two: vs. Minnesota, @ Michigan State
Old 01-27-05, 07:54 AM   #54
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
As the song goes, "What have you done for me [Carolina] lately?"
Must I remind you what happened in Chapel Hill on January 8th?

Yes, the actual games in the dook/Md series have been more entertaining than the UNC/dook contests over the past few years. As a point of reference, Syracuse/Georgetown had some great years in the 80's/Early 90's. Can you say the same since then?

Five years does not make or break the greatest rivalry in college basketball.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 01-27-05, 08:31 AM   #55
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

The only people it is the greatest rivalry to is alumni who graduated the 2 schools prior to 6 years ago. Ask the players and students of Duke over the last 6 years who their biggest rival IS. Just like nobody gets under the skin of Maryland and its fans like Duke does, nobody gets under the skin of Duke fans and players like Maryland. That's what matters most.

Your Cuse/Gtown point is excellent. That is not the greatest rivalry in the Big East. It was, just like Duke/Carolina was, but ain't anymore.

Great pics.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-27-05, 08:57 AM   #56
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Duke/Carolina began to lose it's luster w/ the retirement of the Dean and the ensuing coaching changes in Chapel Hill. That and the rest of the country finally began to take notice of Gary Williams (who became the other great coach in the ACC w/ Dean's retirement) and his program.
Old 01-27-05, 08:58 AM   #57
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
The only people it is the greatest rivalry to is alumni who graduated the 2 schools prior to 6 years ago. Ask the players and students of Duke over the last 6 years who their biggest rival IS.
After spending some time down there (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh) recently, I strongly disagree. I'd bet most dook fans in the Triangle area would still call UNC their main rival. And if they didn't, I would assume that they're simply lying just to get a rise out of Tar Heel fans.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Old 01-27-05, 09:00 AM   #58
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

It's spelled D-U-K-E.

I'd rather see those pictures now than in the Final Four (again).
Old 01-27-05, 09:01 AM   #59
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
After spending some time down there (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh) recently, I strongly disagree. I'd bet most dook fans in the Triangle area would still call UNC their main rival. And if they didn't, I would assume that they're simply lying just to get a rise out of Tar Heel fans.

You're right and that is exactly what I said (fans and alumni 6+ years out of Duke think UNC is the biggest rival). Old habits die hard. Players and students over the last 6 years - their biggest rival? Maryland.

I agree with B.A. - plus there is the fact that K and Gary are the 2 longest tenured coaches in the ACC, by far.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-27-05, 09:28 AM   #60
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're right and that is exactly what I said (fans and alumni 6+ years out of Duke think UNC is the biggest rival). Old habits die hard. Players and students over the last 6 years - their biggest rival? Maryland.

I agree with B.A. - plus there is the fact that K and Gary are the 2 longest tenured coaches in the ACC, by far.
And the next longest, Herb Sendek, is on borrowed time. MD/Duke is the best ACC rivalry right now. That quite possibly will shift back to UNC if Roy can right the ship.
Old 01-27-05, 10:53 AM   #61
taa455
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

True rivalries are rivalries no matter what the records are and no matter what the recent history is. I'm not going to get into the pointless argument of "which is the #1 rivalry?" It doesn't matter. I just like watching exciting and competitive games between strong teams. Maryland and Duke have had some classic games over the past few years, no denyng it. But I also cannot deny the almost century-long history between Carolina and Duke. The schools are, what, 14 miles apart. They have been at each other's throats for as long as I can remember and a long time before that. In my opinion, Carolina/Duke is THE #1 rivalry in all sports. A few years of recent history isn't going to change that. But, again, it doesn't matter. I still enjoy UMD/Duke games and think there is a great rivalry there as well.
Old 01-27-05, 11:13 AM   #62
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa455
True rivalries are rivalries no matter what the records are and no matter what the recent history is.

That's true, and why, for example, Cowboys/Redskins is a great rivalry (even though the teams suck and the rivalry has been one-sided the last decade). Not the best today however, and this comes from a Skins fan.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-27-05, 11:42 AM   #63
Trelach24
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, for all the moronic praise the "Cameron Crazies" get, they sure are a stupid bunch.

Check out the new story on http://www.truthaboutduke.com how they got tricked into starting a chant last night which in reality was the name of the AAU coach who paid former Dukie Corey Maggette.
Old 01-27-05, 12:27 PM   #64
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelach24
BTW, for all the moronic praise the "Cameron Crazies" get, they sure are a stupid bunch.
I thought all face-painters were stupid, regardless of what school/team they were affiliated with.
Old 01-27-05, 04:19 PM   #65
cleaver
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran
CLASSIC!
Old 01-27-05, 10:27 PM   #66
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

GT knocks off Wake in OT 102-101

Zona beat Washington 91-82

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 01-27-05, 11:07 PM   #67
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Hail to the victors
Mighty hail to the victors

oh....wait...sorry....wrong fight song

GO STATE!! Bring it on Illini!!
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 01-28-05, 08:27 AM   #68
WallyOPD
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great game last night in Tucson. Arizona went with a 1-3-1 zone to limit penetration but it ended up giving Washington too many open looks from the perimeter in the first half and they ran up a bit of a lead. They got out to the shooters a little more quickly in the second half and I think some of the Washington players got a little tired and their shots stopped falling. Salim forced a couple of his shots and wasn't as dominant as he's been for most of the past month, but still put up 25. Very entertaining game and I can't wait for the rematch up in Seattle in February. I just hope Arizona doesn't suffer a letdown against Washington St and their slow-down game on Saturday.
Old 01-28-05, 08:47 AM   #69
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelach24

Check out the new story on http://www.truthaboutduke.com how they got tricked into starting a chant last night which in reality was the name of the AAU coach who paid former Dukie Corey Maggette.
Never knew about that website. Needless to say, it's now one of my favorites and it got an immediate bookmark.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 01-28-05, 09:40 AM   #70
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm starting to wonder about the ACC. Georgia Tech beats Wake after losing to Va. Tech last weekend? What's that all about?

Va. Tech is competitive in the ACC after being a perrenial doormat in the Big East. Not that I'm expecting them to finish in the top half by the end of the season, but it makes you think. I'm starting to wonder if the Big East really is under-rated, and in turn maybe the ACC isn't quite as good as we thought.

Old 01-28-05, 10:37 AM   #71
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

That is a big win for GT, even if it comes at home. The ACC is really starting to cannibalize itself.

First big road test in the Patriot League for Bucknell tonight. They visit American. I was originally going to go, but I won't be able to. I might catch them at Navy on Sunday.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-28-05, 10:41 AM   #72
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
I'm starting to wonder about the ACC. Georgia Tech beats Wake after losing to Va. Tech last weekend? What's that all about?

Va. Tech is competitive in the ACC after being a perrenial doormat in the Big East. Not that I'm expecting them to finish in the top half by the end of the season, but it makes you think. I'm starting to wonder if the Big East really is under-rated, and in turn maybe the ACC isn't quite as good as we thought.
I've always wondered why the ACC is always given the label of the toughest conference in america. And when there's a lot of upsets in conference play, people always say that it's just a sign of conference strength, that any team can beat any other team.

But if there's lots of upsets in the Big East, people assume the opposite, that it's a sign of conference weakness, and any team can LOSE to any other team.

I can't wait to see BC come into the league next year and run away with it, assuming Craig Smith returns for his senior year.
Old 01-28-05, 10:59 AM   #73
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I can't wait to see BC come into the league next year and run away with it, assuming Craig Smith returns for his senior year.

I for one have had a tremendous amount of respect for the Big East recently. Particularly 2 years ago, when it was obvious to everyone that the ACC was weaker comparatively. Regardless, everyone should be aware that the best college basketball is America is played in these 2 conferences, home of the last 4 champs.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-28-05, 11:15 AM   #74
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I for one have had a tremendous amount of respect for the Big East recently. Particularly 2 years ago, when it was obvious to everyone that the ACC was weaker comparatively. Regardless, everyone should be aware that the best college basketball is America is played in these 2 conferences, home of the last 4 champs.
laugh now, but we'll see what happens next year.

Miami and Virginia Tech were two of the crappiest teams in the Big East over the past couple of seasons, now they're middle of the pack in the ACC. What will happen when a good team joins the league? Maybe they won't run away with the league, but I'd be surprised if they weren't a top three seed in the 2006 ACC tournament. (again, if Craig Smith decides to go pro, things could change).
Old 01-28-05, 11:40 AM   #75
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
laugh now, but we'll see what happens next year.
Why bother? If Craig Smith doesn't enter the draft this spring, they'll probably just hand the title over to B.C. Regardless of whether Eric Williams, Chris Paul, Raymond Felton, Jarrett Jack, Rashad McCants, Marvin Williams, John Gilcrist or Sheldon Williams decide to go pro.

Sponsored Links