Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-14-05, 04:48 PM   #1
twikoff
DVD Talk God

top 10 college qbs in espn era....

not sure how much i agree with the list.. if I dont put detmer #1.. I believe he would be #2 behind wuerffel.. and where is the love for players like couch and klingler?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=1966188

Quote:

Proving again that the Hot Stove League is not just for baseball, Matt Leinart's decision regarding the NFL has made ESPN's recent birthday the ideal vehicle to assess his career at USC and where it stands among the best college quarterbacks of the last 25 years.

The criteria included not only individual performance but team performance as well. That's how we measure quarterbacks come Heisman time, so this is no different. One more thing -- career award means, the more seasons the better.

10. Michael Vick, Virginia Tech
As a redshirt freshman, he led Division I-A in passing efficiency and took the Hokies to the national championship game. A sprained ankle hampered him as a sophomore, but he still went 20-1 as a college starter, and his greatest performance may have come in a loss, the 46-29 defeat by Florida State in the 2000 Sugar Bowl. The Atlanta Falcons cut short what could have been the greatest college football career ever.

9. Vinny Testaverde, Miami
Testaverde did everything but win a national championship. The 1986 Heisman winner didn't play well in his biggest game, the 1987 Fiesta Bowl loss to Penn State, but he still threw for 48 touchdowns, 6,058 yards and only 25 interceptions as a 'Cane.

8. Matt Leinart, USC
He is 24-1 as a starter with two national championships and a Heisman to show for his career. His first college pass went for a touchdown. A 2005 season would likely move him up this list.

7. Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma
He came off the bench as a freshman to lead the Sooners to the 1985 national championship. For four seasons, he excelled at making the Sooners' trademark option attack purr. He rushed for 2,713 yards and threw for 2,430, which proves how difficult it was for defenses to prepare for him. Holieway went 30-3 as a starter, better even than Jason White, who just retired at 27-3.

6. Ty Detmer, BYU
He won the 1990 Heisman as a junior and threw for more than 15,031 yards, breaking the previous record by nearly 4,000 yards, and 121 touchdowns. He may have been Norm Chow's prize pupil, until Leinart came along.

5. Peyton Manning, Tennessee
His Vols' inability to beat Florida cost Manning at least one Heisman, as well as a shot at a national championship. But the mixture of arm and mind remains unparalleled to this day. Manning threw for 11,201 yards, 89 touchdowns and only 33 picks.

4. Doug Flutie, Boston College
All right, BC didn't sniff a national title during Flutie's four seasons. But Flutie resurrected a floundering program and set it on the road to where it is today, preparing to join the ACC. Though he threw for 67 touchdowns and more than 10,000 yards, Flutie Magic defied mere numbers.

3. Danny Wuerffel, Florida
Wuerffel led the Gators to play for two national titles and win one. He threw for 10,875 yards and 114 touchdowns, and retired with the highest career passing efficiency rating in history (163.6). Moreover, Wuerffel spent more energy learning from coach Steve Spurrier than listening to the barbs that could shatter a quarterback's confidence.

2. Chris Weinke, Florida State
Tommie Frazier may be the best option-QB ever and led Nebraska to two national titles.
Like Wuerffel, Weinke played for two national titles, won one and a Heisman as well. Weinke won 25 straight games as a starter, finished 32-3, and threw for 9,839 yards and 79 touchdowns. The leadership he brought as a minor-league washout in his late 20s only added to his command of the locker room, the huddle and the field.

1. Tommie Frazier, Nebraska
He led the Huskers to two national titles (1994-95) and threw for 43 touchdowns and ran for 36, which seems as good a definition of option quarterback as any Merriam-Webster might devise. Frazier became known for his toughness, both in refusing to be tackled and in refusing to lose. Finally, he dragged Nebraska out of a rut and put them on the road to coach Tom Osborne's greatest successes.
Old 01-14-05, 04:59 PM   #2
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Where the heck is two-time Heisman winner Ron Powlus?
Old 01-14-05, 05:13 PM   #3
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Where is Simms?
Old 01-14-05, 05:25 PM   #4
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

What, no love for Gino Toretta?

I'm actually surprised Leinart isn't higher. Not only do they like to hype recent guys, but he's been very good too. A Heisman, two national titles, one loss, awesome numbers. And unlike several guys on the list, he actually is a pro prospect and not some system guy.
Old 01-14-05, 05:26 PM   #5
lemieux66c

How about Andre Ware? Wasn't he pretty nasty in college?
Old 01-14-05, 05:27 PM   #6
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
• WildcatLH •

Damn ... in the 2nd post too.

While Weinke had plenty of skills, listing him as #2 seems a bit much IMO. In many ways he was the product of some of the best receivers ever, and I don't know how many times we saw him throw terrible passes into double and triple coverage when some badass superstar would do something sick and make the catch anyway. We've seen the same passes from FSU QBs in their recent down years too, but the receivers aren't bailing them out anymore. He certainly deserves plenty of credit for their success, but #2 of all ... nope.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 01-14-05, 05:50 PM   #7
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

I would've put Charlie Ward high on the list before Weinke.

Here'd be my top 5 college QBs of the past 25 years:

1. Wuerffel
2. Detmer
3. Frazier
4. Leinart
5. Testaverde
Old 01-14-05, 07:29 PM   #8
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm actually surprised Leinart isn't higher. .
having another dominant season next year will definitly move him up higher.. hell, another heisman and national championship should put him at the top of the list.
Old 01-14-05, 10:20 PM   #9
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I would've put Charlie Ward high on the list before Weinke.

Here'd be my top 5 college QBs of the past 25 years:

1. Wuerffel
2. Detmer
3. Frazier
4. Leinart
5. Testaverde
I would probably put Ward in front of Weinke as well, just because I think Ward was the best qb under pressure I have ever seen in college. But Weinke did go undefeated and beat Micheal Vick for the National title, so thats why he is probably so high. Of course my bias would have my top 5 looking alot differently than yours

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 01-14-05, 11:48 PM   #10
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by twikoff
having another dominant season next year will definitly move him up higher.. hell, another heisman and national championship should put him at the top of the list.

True, he can move up. But if he won another Heisman and another national championship, his resume would be just sick. I mean, what more could you ask? He's got the stats, he's got the record, he's got the titles, he's got the trophies. He already lacks nothing. And if he does it again, he would be unprecedented in doing so.
Old 01-15-05, 05:06 AM   #11
IMRICKJAMES
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need some Joey Harrington on that list. All those fourth quarter comebacks, and who would have ever thought my Ducks would ever finish #2
Old 01-15-05, 09:52 AM   #12
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
I need some Joey Harrington on that list. All those fourth quarter comebacks, and who would have ever thought my Ducks would ever finish #2
Hmmm..... Had a habit of falling behind, and no ring?
Old 01-15-05, 05:48 PM   #13
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatLH

When I saw the thread, I was going to enter and make that joke.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-15-05, 10:16 PM   #14
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Good call on Andre Ware.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 01-15-05, 10:25 PM   #15
1998Nole

Ward should definately be on there he was in my opinion was a better QB than Weinke. Being a Nole fan I am actaully suprised Weinke is so high.

I think Manning is to high, he is on here mainly for what he is doing in the NFL now, what did he do in college that was noteworthy. I know he had big #'s but Wins are what count.
Old 01-15-05, 10:50 PM   #16
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Nole
I think Manning is to high, he is on here mainly for what he is doing in the NFL now, what did he do in college that was noteworthy. I know he had big #'s but Wins are what count.
39-6 isnt terrible
of course.. if he had ever been able to beat florida, his numbers would have been much better

Quote:

1997 Highlights Accomplishments & Awards
• Led the Vols to a 11-2 record and a Number 6 national ranking
• All American; Associated Press, Football News, Walter Camp, FWAA, AFCA, The Sporting News (2nd)
• All SEC; Associated Press (Player of the Year), Coaches, Football News (SEC Player of the Year)
• Finished 2nd in the Heisman Trophy balloting
• Sullivan Award
• Maxwell Award
• Davey O'Brian National Quarterback Award
• Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
• Football News Offensive Player of the Year
• Nashville Banner Offensive Player of the Year
• Atlanta Touchdown Club Southeast Quarterback of the Year
• Columbus Touchdown Club Quarterback of the Year
• Birmingham Quarterback Club SEC Quarterback of the Year
• Academic All SEC
• Chancellors Citation for Extraordinary Campus Leadership and Service
• SEC & AFCA "Football Good Works Team"
• GTE Academic All-District IV & Academic All-American
• Burger King Scholar Athlete (UCLA Game)
• NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship
• NASDAQ Scholar-Athlete of the Year
• American Honda Scholar-Athlete of the Year
• NCAA Top VIII for Outstanding Senior Student-Athlete in Athletics, Academics and Community Service
• National Football Foundation Burger King-Vincent dePaul Draddy Scholar-Athlete of the Year

1996 Highlights Accomplishments & Awards
• Led the Vols to a 10-2 record and a Number 9 national ranking
• All American; Associated Press (3rd), Football News (3rd)
• All SEC; Associated Press (2nd), Coaches (2nd), Football News (2nd)
• Academic All SEC
• CFA Scholar-Athlete Team
• American Honda Scholar-Athlete
• GTE Academic All-District IV
• GTE Academic All-American (2nd)
• SEC Offensive Player of the Week (Twice-Georgia, 10/12; South Carolina, 11/2)
• Citrus Bowl Most Valuable Player
• Finished 8th in the Heisman Trophy balloting

1995 Highlights Accomplishments & Awards
• Led the Vols to an 11-1 record finishing Number 2 national ranking (coaches poll)
• All American; Associated Press (3rd), College Sports News (2nd)
• All SEC; Coaches, Associated Press (2nd)
• Finished 6th in the Heisman Trophy balloting
• Academic All-SEC
• GTE Academic All District IV
• Winner of Westwood One Entertainment's Horizon Award
• SEC Offensive Player of the Week (Arkansas, 10/07)
• The Sporting News National Player of the Week (Arkansas, 10/07)
• U.S. Postal Service Player of the Week (Arkansas, 10/07)
• Chevrolet Player of the Game (Florida, 09/16)

1994 Highlights Accomplishments & Awards
• Led Vols to 7-1 record as a starter
• Hitting 12 of 19 passes for 189 yards and breaking loose for 29 yard run, Peyton sparked the Vols to 45-23 victory over Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl.
• First touchdown pass of Peyton's college career was a 76 yard pass to Kendrick Jones against Mississippi State.
• Named SEC Freshman of the Year

Last edited by twikoff; 01-15-05 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-15-05, 11:54 PM   #17
Jam Master Jay
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever happened to Tommie Frazier? Was he even drafted in the NFL at all?
Old 01-16-05, 12:11 AM   #18
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
• Jam Master Jay •

Whatever happened to Tommie Frazier? Was he even drafted in the NFL at all?
I believe he went to the CFL as a backup QB. I think he tried to get notice in the NFL Draft as a RB but failed.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 01-16-05, 12:36 AM   #19
lwhy?
DVD Talk Special Edition

The funny thing about Manning is that after he left the Vols finally won a championship. I always thought he struggled in the big games though. Maybe he can rid himself of the big game curse tomorrow I'll be watching. One tennesse qb who I think was excellent was Clausen his junior year he played with a broken ankle and one arm in a harness. He was a tough quarterback who was a road warrior. He never could beat georgia. Not having very talented players on offense hurt him. His best year was his sophomore year when he had speed at tailback with Travis Stephens and three great receivers with Witten, Washington, and Stallworth.
Old 01-16-05, 01:05 AM   #20
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I believe he went to the CFL as a backup QB. I think he tried to get notice in the NFL Draft as a RB but failed.

das
didnt he have ongoing issues with bloodclots in his legs, that scared many nfl teams
Old 01-16-05, 01:06 AM   #21
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhy?
The funny thing about Manning is that after he left the Vols finally won a championship..
and where is t. martin now
Old 01-19-05, 06:35 AM   #22
kantonburg
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As like any "list" they flat out stink. The mere fact that Toretta and Ware AREN'T on that list I turn my nose to this. If I'm not mistaken those two guys were #1 & #2 on ESPN's most hyped flops here recently on SC.

What a joke.
Old 01-19-05, 07:59 AM   #23
cleaver
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My list
1 - Tommy Frazier
2 - Matt Leinhart
3 - Danny Wuerffel
4 - Charlie Ward
5 - Ty Detmer

Where's the Charlie Ward love? Top 3 Heisman vote %? IIRC 3 top 4 finishes in the polls?
Old 01-19-05, 09:53 AM   #24
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a little surprised to not see Charlie Ward on that list, too. He was one of the first names to come to mind when I saw the title of the thread.

Another reason this list is a travesty - no mention of Kordell Stewart.
Old 01-19-05, 10:09 AM   #25
twikoff
DVD Talk God

i guess its all so subjective.. especially when they didnt define their rankings a little more clear... how much is weighted on stats as opposed to record... does winning a NC or heisman improve your ranking, even if your overall record or stats arent as good as some others.... etc..
not to mention that standard bias

as i mentioned before.. i would have detmer #1 and weurffel #2 (but these are close to interchangable)..

frazier, manning, and leinart would round out my top 5 (not in that order)..

of course.. given another great season this year.. leinart will definitly be #1, and could distance himself head and shoulders above the rest.

my 6-10 may include a person or two that arent on this list.. and would remove one or two from this list.. but again its all subjective..
if you're going to list someone that should have been included.. i guess you should also list who should be removed..
i would say weinke.. but his resume is pretty impressive
vinny would definitly be a candidate to remove from the list
possibly vick, but i dont think #10 is too high to rank him.. he might have gone on to be top 3 (maybe even #1), but he loses alot of credit for leaving so early.
not sure how you could leave off any of the rest.. unless you really dont get swept up in the flutie magic