Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-04, 12:09 AM   #51
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Setzer
Hey, I'm definitely excited about this season. I'm looking forward to watching some up tempo Lakers basketball...should be exciting. There's a lot of uncertainy surrounding this team and what it can accomplish. I don't expect a run for the title but I do think we'll see a competitive team out there and a lot of exciting games.

Oh and screw the election coverage, I'll be watching the Lakers game tomorrow night!!
Don't get me wrong, its just painfully obvious that the NBA takes a backseat to MLB and the NFL around these parts Then you get the "NBA sucks now" comments, or posts from people that know little about basketball and just like to take jabs at the Lakers... its nice to find fans of the game here, even if they have to hate the Lakers

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL

Old 11-02-04, 12:11 AM   #52
Roto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by fumanstan
Glad to see someone here excited about the start of the season like i am. I too am going to be switching back and forth between the election and the opening tip-offs. Can't wait
Yeah, Comcast has free NBA League Pass this week, or whatever they call it

I agree that the NBA is in a down period, but if you take a look at the age of some of the superstars, I'm optimistic about the future.

Old 11-02-04, 01:49 AM   #53
MJKTool
Suspended

The Lakers will make all you haters kiss your own asses! Bank on it bitches! lAKers!!!!

Old 11-02-04, 11:49 AM   #54
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Let's start the season right.

Fuck you Shaq, he's all mine now! <3<3<3

Old 11-02-04, 04:08 PM   #55
Roto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't remember seeing that one

GO NUGGETS!

Old 11-02-04, 04:10 PM   #56
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Bastards

Old 11-02-04, 04:34 PM   #57
mrpayroll

My prediction, the Lakers will win at least 50 games this season, make the playoffs and surprise a couple of teams along the way. They may not win the championship, but I really believe that they will be a better team and have a better record than Miami will.

Even though it's early, Shaq is already having problems and may not play in the opener. I made a comment to a co-worker today, that yeah, Shaq has lost 30 lbs and looks great, but maybe his body isn't used to such rapid weight loss and that is why he is getting injured so early in the season.

I have nothing against Shaq. I think he was made a scapegoat this past year, but his attitude about getting into shape this season, just to show the Lakers, is pretty crappy to me. If he had made this same committment the last couple of seasons, maybe the Lakers would still be together. Or maybe not, if you believe the stories about Kobe. But we will probably not know the truth for many years to come.

But I really believe that the Lakers have a better overall team this year than last year. Of course they only have 1 of the best players in the league now, instead of 2, but their bench is going to be much stronger. And if anyone gets injured (except for Kobe), they have backups to those positions. Look at Vlade, he hasn't played a minute and it's been all good with Chris Mihm. I think Vlade should come off the bench this season, because Chris Mihm is a better defensive center than Vlade is, at least based on the preseason.

Well the season starts tonight at 7:30 pm PST on KCAL9 and TNT. It should be an exciting, fun and unpredictable season.

Chris

Old 11-02-04, 04:52 PM   #58
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

You guys are turning a sore hamstring into more than it really is.

Old 11-02-04, 05:09 PM   #59
MJKTool
Suspended

Ha! Coming from someone who has made big deals out of ingrown toenails on Shaq in the past....

Old 11-02-04, 05:10 PM   #60
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

I've ran up and down the court before with sore hamstrings and I've also done the same with an ingrown toenail.

I'd rather have the hamstring.

Old 11-02-04, 05:31 PM   #61
mrpayroll

Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
I've ran up and down the court before with sore hamstrings and I've also done the same with an ingrown toenail.

I'd rather have the hamstring.

Ya, but you're not 7' 1" & 300 lbs, now are you?

Chris

Old 11-02-04, 05:39 PM   #62
Setzer
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpayroll
My prediction, the Lakers will win at least 50 games this season, make the playoffs and surprise a couple of teams along the way. They may not win the championship, but I really believe that they will be a better team and have a better record than Miami will.

Even though it's early, Shaq is already having problems and may not play in the opener. I made a comment to a co-worker today, that yeah, Shaq has lost 30 lbs and looks great, but maybe his body isn't used to such rapid weight loss and that is why he is getting injured so early in the season.

I have nothing against Shaq. I think he was made a scapegoat this past year, but his attitude about getting into shape this season, just to show the Lakers, is pretty crappy to me. If he had made this same committment the last couple of seasons, maybe the Lakers would still be together. Or maybe not, if you believe the stories about Kobe. But we will probably not know the truth for many years to come.

But I really believe that the Lakers have a better overall team this year than last year. Of course they only have 1 of the best players in the league now, instead of 2, but their bench is going to be much stronger. And if anyone gets injured (except for Kobe), they have backups to those positions. Look at Vlade, he hasn't played a minute and it's been all good with Chris Mihm. I think Vlade should come off the bench this season, because Chris Mihm is a better defensive center than Vlade is, at least based on the preseason.

Well the season starts tonight at 7:30 pm PST on KCAL9 and TNT. It should be an exciting, fun and unpredictable season.

Chris

Agree with everything you said. Looking forward to tonights game!

Old 11-02-04, 05:52 PM   #63
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpayroll

Chris
I'm not nearly as optimistic about the Lakers record, simply because of the powerful Western Conference teams. I still think they'll make the playoffs, but 50+ wins might be a stretch. A shame since if they played in the East they'd be a 3 or 4 seed easy.

Sore hamstrings can mean a lot of things and can be to varying degrees... and i can imagine it being far more difficult for Shaq to deal with when it means having to run up and down the court at his size and the fact that he's going to need to work far harder on both ends of the court with the Heat then he did with the Lakers. He doesn't have Malone's help and work ehtic behind him. Miami's power forwards almost make Slava Medvedenko, Samaki Walker, and Horace Grant look good. It's easy to see why people are making such a big deal about Shaq's health... if he misses half the year, the Heat are a 30 win team.

Old 11-02-04, 05:57 PM   #64
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and its a home game. It's not on KCAL (which shows the away games)

Old 11-02-04, 06:11 PM   #65
mrpayroll

Quote:

Ooops, sorry, Fox West on Directv.

Chris

Old 11-02-04, 06:39 PM   #66
Aphex Twin
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Um...also...it's election night.
What happened to those other underpants you had?

Old 11-02-04, 06:40 PM   #67
aintnosin
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Um...also...it's election night.
Really? Damn, snuck up on me again. They should mention things like this on TV once in a while, I think.

Old 11-02-04, 08:52 PM   #68
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Go Lakers, I'll try and be here to throw in the towel after the Nuggets go on a 10-0 run to start the game

Old 11-02-04, 09:42 PM   #69
mrpayroll

Is this game only on TNT tonight?

It's 7:43 PM PST right now and they are still showing the Detroit / Houston game.

Chris

Old 11-02-04, 09:43 PM   #70
MovieMaster11
Banned

Just want to say good luck to Team Kobe tonight. Should be really interesting to watch.

Old 11-02-04, 10:07 PM   #71
mrpayroll

Gooooo Shaq.... I mean Mihm!

Chris

Old 11-02-04, 10:07 PM   #72
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Mihm looking good, Kobe passing....wow.

Old 11-02-04, 10:07 PM   #73
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Mihm picking up where he left off in the pre-season which is great news for those afraid that it wouldn't translate in the regular season, especially against Denver who has an excellent front court.

Old 11-02-04, 10:14 PM   #74
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

This Lakers team seems to be playing very well together, nice to see. Still, I remember after the first game vs Dallas last year, the Lakers looked like they couldn't do anything wrong. Then it all came crashing down.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen again

Old 11-02-04, 10:22 PM   #75
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Nice quarter, just have to work on the rebounding.

The Vlade interview was funny

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread