Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-21-04, 12:24 PM   #1
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Big 12 to add 12th game to schedule??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Big 12 to make proposal for 12-game schedule
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Big 12 Conference plans to propose NCAA legislation allowing teams to play 12 regular-season games beginning next year, commissioner Kevin Weiberg said Tuesday.

Weiberg said adding a 12th game would give schools an opportunity to build more revenue and add flexibility in scheduling. He said the conference believes the proposal is timely because the postseason format seems relatively settled with no additional games expected to be added the next few years.
The conference has done "limited research, suggesting that an additional game would not be a health or safety hazard and that student-athletes would support the plan.

"If you talk to athletes, I think they'd probably prefer to see a little less practice and a little more competition," Weiberg said.

Weiberg said NCAA rules requiring every team to have five home games makes scheduling a difficult task.

"It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to jump back and forth between 12- and 11-game seasons," Weiberg said. "The complications of that by a scheduling standpoint, while that may seem trite, are not insignificant.

"I think also the economic benefits from it are actually greater to more institutions than would be simply a tweak of an extra postseason game."

Weiberg said he thinks there needs to at least be a discussion of adding a 12th game, even if the legislation is not approved this year.

After the legislation is introduced, it would first be considered by the NCAA in January and could be voted on for adoption in April. If approved by the NCAA board, the rule could take effect next season.

The NCAA currently has plans to allow a 12th game only in 2008, 2009, 2014 and 2019.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 07-21-04, 12:26 PM   #2
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Hmmmm.....where are those college presidents now? Will somebody please think of the student-athletes!!!!
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-21-04, 12:31 PM   #3
Bacon
DVD Talk Legend

I'm all for 12 games college basketball teams play more than 12 weekday games yet no one cries about that, yet people cry and moan about football players having to play on an additional Saturday, pulleez!!!!!!

In a perfect world they'd add 5 games to equal the NFL regular season then all the "super conference" teams would play a whole conf schedule, SEC/Big XII teams would play the other 11 and 5 non conference games.
Old 07-21-04, 05:06 PM   #4
kevin75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

also, in a perfect world, there would be a playoff system to decide the national champion instead of the garbage we have now.
Old 07-21-04, 07:55 PM   #5
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Whoo-Hoo! 12 regular season games = A fighting chance for KU to win two or maybe even three games next season.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!!

Well, just wait 'til basketball season starts...

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.