Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-16-04, 11:28 AM   #1
Preacher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Allen Iverson: The Answer Quotes

Iverson's days in Philadelphia dwindling

STEVE WILSTEIN, AP Sports Columnist
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

(03-16) 00:29 PST (AP) --

Allen Iverson's reign of error is coming to a close in Philadelphia. He wants out and the 76ers no doubt will oblige him this summer to any team that can afford his salary and is willing to tolerate the baggage that now outweighs his points. The bidding is not likely to be fierce, even if the 76ers throw in five years' supply of aspirin for the next coach.
That's not to say there won't be several teams interested in Iverson and his 27 points per game career scoring average -- second among active players to Shaquille O'Neal's 27.2. Plenty of teams could use a scorer like that. The question is whether they want his attitude, his selfishness, his injuries and his $91.4 million salary over the next five years. For many teams, Iverson is not The Answer.

The other stumbling block in any trade is whether another team has the player or players Philadelphia will want in return, though at this point the 76ers are likely to settle for less simply to end a relationship that has gone sour.
The Sixers and Iverson know it's time to say goodbye, to give up on the pretense that they're all one big happy family. Iverson found a home in Philadelphia, built a mansion and had an adoring fan base. But all the reasons for staying are giving way to greater reasons for leaving.
The Sixers have gone as far as they can with him -- they reached the NBA Finals three years ago -- and they're on the down slope now as they drift out of playoff contention.
Iverson will turn 29 in June after eight seasons in the league, all in Philadelphia, but his lifestyle, size and high-impact game may age him prematurely. He's missed 22 games so far this season with various injuries and ailments.
He wore out Larry Brown, rode over Randy Ayers and now is butting heads with no-nonsense interim coach Chris Ford.
The latest clash came Sunday when Iverson, out for three straight games with a swollen right knee, refused to come off the bench after Ford told him he wouldn't start against the Detroit Pistons.
Iverson stripped off his tape, changed out of his uniform and watched from the bench in street clothes as his team got pummeled 85-69.
"I'm a starter. I've been a starter here for eight years. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson said, his ego bruised more than his knee.
Ford wasn't buying into Iverson's rant and wasn't about to let him get away with doing whatever he liked. In Ford's mind, if Iverson couldn't run full court in practice, he wasn't ready to start in a game.
"I was concerned that if he would go out there and try to play, we could now lose him for another five games down the road," Ford said. "I want to see him get out there and compete and go up and down in a scrimmage first. I'm looking out for the good of A.I., plus the good of the team. That's what my job is to do. Somebody's got to make decisions around here."
Ford and Iverson have had a rocky relationship since the coach replaced Ayers on Feb. 9. Ford has fined Iverson twice, first for missing a practice, then for missing a home game, both times because Iverson didn't personally call to explain his absence.
Call that bullheaded on Ford's part or call it brave. Ford's days with the Sixers may be numbered, too, but he deserves coach of the year consideration for standing up to Iverson.
Iverson kept his rant going Monday after practice in Memphis.

"My whole thing is ... why?" Iverson said. "When I'm the starter on this team, why wouldn't I start? A lot of people might look at it like it's a selfish thing or something like that. But I've played in the playoffs, and I've played in the [NBA ] Finals. We've been a winning team for the last six years. It was never an issue about me not starting. Why wouldn't I start? I mean, I'm the franchise player here.

"I don't know any franchise players that come off the bench. I don't know any Olympian that comes off the bench. I don't know any all-star that comes off the bench. I don't know any former MVP that comes off the bench. I don't know any three-time scoring champion that comes off the bench. I don't know any first-team all-NBA [player ] that comes off the bench. Why Allen Iverson?
"It's an insult to me ... who I am as a player, who I am to this organization, what I've been to this organization. This is an insult to me."
It was an insult that Iverson earned, and the simple answer to his questions is that the 76ers management is fed up with him pushing around coaches. Ford clearly would not be taking the actions he has without support from club president Billy King.
Whether Ford stays or someone else comes in, the end is near for Iverson in the city that's losing its brotherly love for him. By midday Monday, a poll by the Philadelphia Inquirer asking fans to vote on who was wrong here -- the Sixers, Iverson or both -- had 72 percent saying Iverson, 16 percent the Sixers and 12 percent both.
So where else might Iverson play next season?
At least three teams are possible contenders: Atlanta, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers.
Atlanta has a shot, with tons of salary cap room after cleaning house. Under new ownership, the Hawks are desperate for a box office draw to fill thousands of empty seats.
If the wheels fall off the Lakers -- Kobe Bryant could leave as a free agent and so could several other players and coach Phil Jackson -- Iverson might find himself taking his act to Hollywood and teaming up with O'Neal.
Strangely, though, the best place for Iverson might just be the most unlikely: San Antonio.
The Spurs have salary cap room and might look to make a deal for Iverson if they don't win the championship again. They could even get him at an affordable price because they could take on his contract without having to trade back an equivalent amount of salary.
San Antonio is a city of straight arrows, from coach Gregg Popovich to superstar Tim Duncan. Yet, it is there, perhaps, that Iverson might be able to park his ego a bit, holster his shooting hand a little, and flourish with a chance to win a championship ring.
He and the Sixers know that won't happen in Philadelphia.

"My whole thing is ... why?" Iverson said.

When I'm the starter on this team, why wouldn't I start?

A lot of people might look at it like it's a selfish thing or something like that.

But I've played in the playoffs, and I've played in the NBA Finals.

We've been a winning team for the last six years. It was never an issue about me not starting. Why wouldn't I start?

I mean, I'm the franchise player here.

The talent on the team he led to the Finals was thin. Real thin.

N Player Ht Wt Ag DB Sea Draft

55 Dikembe Mutombo C 218 120 35 1966 10 4-91
40 Tyrone Hill PF 206 113 33 1968 11 11-90
9 George Lynch SF 203 103 31 1970 8 12-93
3 Allen Iverson SG 183 75 26 1975 5 1-96
20 Eric Snow PG 191 92 28 1973 6 43-95

52 Matt Geiger C 216 112 32 1969 9 42-92
50 Todd MacCulloch C 213 116 25 1976 2 47-99
33 Jumaine Jones SF 203 99 22 1979 2 27-99
8 Aaron McKie SG 196 95 29 1972 7 17-94
5 Kevin Ollie PG 188 88 29 1972 4 -

7 Roshown McLeod SF 203 104 26 1975 3 20-98
23 Rodney Buford SG - SF 196 86 24 1977 2 53-99
11 Raja Bell SG 196 92 25 1976 1 -
24 Pepe Sanchez PG 193 88 24 1977 1 -
12 Speedy Claxton PG 180 75 23 1978 0 20-00

He was a great time in this franchise. There are negatives about The Answer that coloured my opinion, but his talent and drive are incomparable. He came to play every night. Very few ever did. Playing amongst the giants he instilled fear in their hearts. It was remarkable to watch.
Old 03-16-04, 11:32 AM   #2
twikoff
DVD Talk God

and every other team in the league will stand in line for a chance to get him

baggage schmaggage
Old 03-16-04, 11:36 AM   #3
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Iverson will never ever ever ever win a championship if he's the #1 option on the team, no matter how good of a shooter he is.

He needs to be a #2 guy.
Old 03-16-04, 11:37 AM   #4
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Shaq loves AI
Kobe's replacement?
Old 03-16-04, 12:20 PM   #5
RUN-DvdMC
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about The Answer (A.I.) and The Truth (Paul Pierce) together? As a Celtics fan, I would love it. Though we have no one to give up as trade bait.
Old 03-16-04, 12:40 PM   #6
the aftermath
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by twikoff
Shaq loves AI
Kobe's replacement?
I don't think he could replace Kobe. Kobe's a better all around player.
Old 03-16-04, 12:57 PM   #7
Geofferson

It was hilarious when he ordered some nachos from the bench during last night's game.
Old 03-16-04, 12:59 PM   #8
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Geofferson
It was hilarious when he ordered some nachos from the bench during last night's game.
he did?????

I missed that!
Old 03-16-04, 01:25 PM   #9
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
How about The Answer (A.I.) and The Truth (Paul Pierce) together? As a Celtics fan, I would love it. Though we have no one to give up as trade bait.
Iverson and Pierce on the same team. Sure. Of course, they might as well just play 2 on 5 because no one else would get a shot the entire game.
Old 03-16-04, 01:26 PM   #10
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

I almost puked watching that shithead Stephen A. Smith defend AI on TV last nite.
Old 03-16-04, 01:35 PM   #11
Aphex Twin
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by twikoff
Shaq loves AI
Kobe's replacement?
Iverson is not the type of player the Lakers acquire. They will probably never have a Marbury, Iverson, or Stackhouse-type player on the team.
Old 03-16-04, 01:38 PM   #12
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Iverson is not the type of player the Lakers acquire. They will probably never have a Marbury, Iverson, or Stackhouse-type player on the team.
Or a Rasheed type player, it's mostly an attitude thing. They learned well with Rodman

Then again, Payton is pretty hardcore when it comes to mouthing off.
Old 03-16-04, 01:39 PM   #13
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
Wow, that's alot of egos
Old 03-16-04, 01:39 PM   #14
twikoff
DVD Talk God

unless shaq has any say in their personnell
shaq has said ai is the best player in the game, on countless occassions
of course, the rest of the time, he says he is the best player in the game
Old 03-16-04, 01:43 PM   #15
the aftermath
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shaq as we all know, is a complete moron.

I'm sure he says A.I. is the best just to piss Kobe off.
Old 03-16-04, 02:42 PM   #16
Preacher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's give him his due. He has learned to be a better team player. And that is one of the reasons they finalled. He is not on par with some of the troublemakers mentioned. He is only out of control when he has a coach he does not respect. When Brown left it has obviously marked the end of him in Philly.

He would fit in in LA just fine. And might end up there if Kobe leaves. With Shaq in the middle he might average 35 on the season.
Old 03-16-04, 03:09 PM   #17
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

I have never heard Shaq say AI is the best. I have heard him say Kobe is, though, numerous times.
Old 03-16-04, 03:11 PM   #18
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by the aftermath
Shaq as we all know, is a complete moron.

Of course he'd be Einstien if he were to don a Heat jersey

Old 03-16-04, 03:15 PM   #19
Aphex Twin
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Preacher
He would fit in in LA just fine. And might end up there if Kobe leaves. With Shaq in the middle he might average 35 on the season.
No, aside from the obvious reasons, Iverson is too short and is not a good enough passer to be in Phillip's system.
Old 03-16-04, 03:32 PM   #20
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
He has learned to be a better team player. He is not on par with some of the troublemakers mentioned.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Real nice of the "team player" to refuse to play in a game and help his team get into the playoffs.
Old 03-16-04, 03:38 PM   #21
the aftermath
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Of course he'd be Einstien if he were to don a Heat jersey

Hardly.
Old 03-16-04, 04:10 PM   #22
Preacher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
No, aside from the obvious reasons, Iverson is too short and is not a good enough passer to be in Phillip's system.
If those are not your obvious reasons, what are they? The "too short" reference is just funny. He does not pass as well as Payton but who does? And he has years to play on Payton.

AI's difficulties have mostly come forward this year. Some of his worst possible habits have been seen since Brown left. Beforehand you could say what you wanted about his gangsta life and habits but on the floor he played. That was the remarkable thing outside of just his talents. He fought to win with a zeal rarely seen in Pro sport. This can translate anywhere.
Old 03-16-04, 06:06 PM   #23
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
If those are not your obvious reasons, what are they? The "too short" reference is just funny. He does not pass as well as Payton but who does? And he has years to play on Payton.

AI's difficulties have mostly come forward this year. Some of his worst possible habits have been seen since Brown left. Beforehand you could say what you wanted about his gangsta life and habits but on the floor he played. That was the remarkable thing outside of just his talents. He fought to win with a zeal rarely seen in Pro sport. This can translate anywhere.
No, the "too short" is a reality of Phil continues to be the Lakers coach. Phil has always loved big guards running the offense, which is why Kobe and Pippen have often brought the ball up for his teams. I can't imagine AI being very happy not having the ball in his hands the majority of the time, particularly after his "i'm a superstar" tirade.

Don't get me wrong, AI is a great player, but i just don't see him fitting in with the Lakers, particularly if it means replacing Kobe if he signs elsewhere.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 03-16-04, 09:07 PM   #24
Preacher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never knew he had that preference. I can understand preferences, but not any that would preclude adding AI to a team.
Old 03-16-04, 10:30 PM   #25
whotony
DVD Talk Legend

the only thing iverson will ever be good at is putting people in seats.
but if he continues to be injured the way he has this year he wont be doing that either.

iverson is a scorer but he needs to take too many shots to get his points.

he will need to be on a team with a real scorer, i guy who doesnt have to take 30 shots to get 30 points, to ever win a title.

how many times did he say "I" and "ME"in that interview.

if you were lucky to see that interview you would have seen it was just as silly as watching the "just talkin' about practice." press conference.
Sponsored Links