Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-25-04, 12:36 PM   #76
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Interesting day in the Big East yesterday. I didn't see the Providence/UConn game, but that is an impressive win for Providence. I've seen them a couple times so far, and have come away impressed. I don't what to say about UConn. I know that they are one of the best teams in the country, but they are a tad inconsistent. You really have to question whether they have the ability to win 6 in a row late in March.

Meanwhile, Pitt totally dominated Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. Granted, Syracuse played a lousy game, but Pitt played dominating defense and was a monster on the boards. Pitt just might be the best Big East team and Syracuse might be 4th in Big East pecking order.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-25-04, 02:18 PM   #77
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by the aftermath
I've seen FSU play, they're ok but Wake should handle them.

However, you're killer instinct comment appiled perfectly in this game. Wake had the chance to put it away and they failed. FSU hung around and hung around and then totally outplayed Wake in the last 2 minutes. That's 4 straight losses for Wake. There is
certainly not a whole lot of difference in the quality of the ACC teams after Duke.

to FSU fans for storming the court. I can certainly understand it for beating UNC, particularly since they were 24 down at one point, but not Wake.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-25-04, 02:45 PM   #78
the aftermath
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well looks like I was wrong about Wake. hehe. Good thing I didn't bet on it, I learned my lesson from the UNC game.

The only team I could guarantee would beat FSU is Duke. Duke is just the best all-around team at the moment.
Old 01-25-04, 02:59 PM   #79
DJLinus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Richmond over Xavier, 53-44. UR swept their 3 game road trip over 8 days (Temple, Kansas, Xavier). RPI's at 40 and they'll move up a few notches with today's win. Nice!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBob
I haven't seen any other richmond games, but it looked like they live and die by the 3 point shot. Is that a true assement.
I'd say that's a pretty correct assessment. At least, that's how it's been since I've been following them, since 1994 through 3 different coaches. There's always at least one or two really great 3-point shooters on the team per season. Skrocki's our man currently. We couldn't really hit the 3 during today's game, thus the low score (plus it was defense for both teams today).
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...
Old 01-25-04, 03:16 PM   #80
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

well crap....Michigan State roars back after being twelve down in the first half to go up 6 with 2 minutes to go, only to go into a "prevent" offense - which has prevented them from winning....Purdue sends it to ot and State collapses.....very disheartening....
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 01-25-04, 03:36 PM   #81
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by DJLinus
Richmond over Xavier, 53-44. UR swept their 3 game road trip over 8 days (Temple, Kansas, Xavier). RPI's at 40 and they'll move up a few notches with today's win. Nice!

Yeah - I watched much of the 2nd half of this game. They're playing some nice ball at the moment. If they finish top-3 in the A-10, they will probably get an invite.

Good assessment of MSU, brizz. They sure looked like a team that didn't want to win that game after the 2-minute mark.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-25-04, 05:30 PM   #82
DarkElf

Ooh, checked this thread JUST in time. It's Terrapin time!
Old 01-25-04, 06:24 PM   #83
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Uggggggly 1st half.

I certainly hope Gary says we are going to go inside to Jamar Smith consistently in the 2nd half.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-25-04, 07:38 PM   #84
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Key win for the Terps. They really stepped up the D and hit the boards hard in the 2nd half. I usually bash Garrison, but this was definitely one of his best games as a Terp.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-25-04, 08:13 PM   #85
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Louisville escapes with a win at Tennessee. Could be a costly win though - their 2 best players got hurt. Terrible officiating in the last part of the 2nd half.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-25-04, 09:46 PM   #86
ColdBlue

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
Louisville escapes with a win at Tennessee. Could be a costly win though - their 2 best players got hurt. Terrible officiating in the last part of the 2nd half.
Yeah costly for me
Gotta go check out tomorrow's matchups...
The sad thing is I was debating between Louisville and Maryland but was scared off my the Terps road record. Lesson learned.

Gamercard
Old 01-26-04, 03:52 AM   #87
edytwinky
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice win for FSU. They're really making headlines this past week.

Proud to be a Wichita State Shocker

My dining blog: Wichita By EB
Old 01-26-04, 08:55 AM   #88
Toad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog

to FSU fans for storming the court. I can certainly understand it for beating UNC, particularly since they were 24 down at one point, but not Wake.
It's the first time in school history that the team has beaten two top-10 opponents back-to-back, and it was in the span of 4 days. (Plus, wasn't Wake ranked higher than UNC?) At a school where not much of anything good happens in terms of basketball, there's nothing wrong with showing support like that.

Unfortunately, it may not all mean much after they face Duke this week.