Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-18-04, 05:08 PM   #1
iBleedGarnet

The Pats can thank the officials for their trip to Houston.

I'm a Panthers fan so I really had no favorite to win this game. Either one would be tough if we can somehow win in Philly.
But the officiating in today's AFC championship was horrendous. The Colts never got to Brady because of blatant holding on the O-line. And Marvin Harrison never got open because he was being checked after five yards and then held or tugged on. Just makes me sick watching the officials dictate the flow and potential outcome of a game. I'm sure the game thread includes posts concerning the officiating. Just thought I'd start a new one and dedicate it to those idiots in stripes.

Last edited by iBleedGarnet; 01-18-04 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-18-04, 05:10 PM   #2
iBleedGarnet

Oh, didn't mean to leave out the ref running the clock in the booth. He's a moron, too.

There, now I feel better.
Old 01-18-04, 05:11 PM   #3
Lastblade
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you Refs!! We, the Patriots nation, salute you!
Old 01-18-04, 05:13 PM   #4
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Wheres the violin smiley? The Patriots were the better team. Maybe if Peyton Manning hadnt choked 4 times, Indy could have made a game of it
Old 01-18-04, 05:15 PM   #5
twikoff
DVD Talk God

as a panthers fan.. you should be happy the pats won, instead of the colts.. regardless how it happened
Old 01-18-04, 05:16 PM   #6
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

despite choking four times they still made a game of it....at least 3 of the Pats points are directly accountable to bad officiating - remember that 4th and 8 hold?
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 01-18-04, 05:17 PM   #7
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

The Patriots would have won the game regardless of ther refereeing.

However, the refereeing was just plain ridiculous, and there was absolutely no excuse for it.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-04, 05:19 PM   #8
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by twikoff
as a panthers fan.. you should be happy the pats won, instead of the colts.. regardless how it happened
Funny....and very true....New England will lose the Super Bowl....count on it.....
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 01-18-04, 05:22 PM   #9
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by brizz
Funny....and very true....New England will lose the Super Bowl....count on it.....

There is no way the Patriots lose in the Superbowl. Even if you merged the best players from Panthers and Eagles, the Pats would stilll win.
Old 01-18-04, 05:23 PM   #10
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisih8u

There is no way the Patriots lose in the Superbowl. Even if you merged the best players from Panthers and Eagles, the Pats would stilll win.
Remember that two years ago, the Patriots had no chance to beat the Rams.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-04, 05:24 PM   #11
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

right...but this time they'll be the favorite....and they will lose.
Old 01-18-04, 05:25 PM   #12
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Remember that two years ago, the Patriots had no chance to beat the Rams.
Not everyone thought the Rams would win. I knew they would pull it off. Just like now.
Old 01-18-04, 05:25 PM   #13
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:

better hope that the pats players dont share your arrogance
Old 01-18-04, 05:27 PM   #14
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
better hope that the pats players dont share your arrogance
Im arrogant for them. They arent arrogant. Bellichick wouldnt allow it. Thats why I dont understand the hate. They dont have have any pompous, loudmouth, jerks on the team. They just go out there and win.
Old 01-18-04, 05:28 PM   #15
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Im arrogant for them. They arent arrogant. Bellichick wouldnt allow it. Thats why I dont understand the hate. They dont have have any pompous, loudmouth, jerks on the team. They just go out there and win.
As was mentioned in the other thread, people root for the underdog. And they hate teams that win a lot.

My hatred comes from the fact that I'm a Dolphins fan, and the Fins and Pats have a rivalry.
Old 01-18-04, 05:29 PM   #16
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
As was mentioned in the other thread, people root for the underdog. And they hate teams that win a lot.

My hatred comes from the fact that I'm a Dolphins fan, and the Fins and Pats have a rivalry.
Well, I can certainly understand that. Thats why I hate the Yankees.
Old 01-18-04, 05:43 PM   #17
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:

I'm a Dolphin fan too but I'm also an AFC fan and will be rooting like mad for the Pats.
Old 01-18-04, 05:52 PM   #18
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
its not the team or coach the has brought on the hate, as much as it is the fans
Old 01-18-04, 05:58 PM   #19
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
its not the team or coach the has brought on the hate, as much as it is the fans
Dont worry. You can gloat when the Pats lose
Spoiler:
next year!
Old 01-18-04, 06:07 PM   #20
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Don't be too cocky... That's the kind of thing they've been saying about the NBA team from the Western Conference for the last 5 years and look at...

...oh... Nevermind.
Old 01-18-04, 06:11 PM   #21
Hiro11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bad officiating?---yes, it got pretty ugly. But not as bad as the infamous Tuck Call in 2001.

Refs responsible for the outcome of the game?---absolutely not.

Yeah, it was a very physical game, and several times the physicallity should have been called. The Pat's pass defense looked particularly dirty all day. For example, I though the Colt's 4th and 8 situation at the end of the game was very close to pass interference, but truth be told, it could have gone either way. A call there could have changed the outcome of the game.

However, IMO, the Pats deserved to win. Brady's numbers were clearly better than Manning's, Vinatieri (or however you spell it) was reliable as always. The Pat's defense was simply swarming as well, Ty Law is just amazing.

I pick the Eagles to beat the Panthers and lose to the Pats in the SB.
Old 01-18-04, 06:15 PM   #22
bigdogkt2003
Suspended

The Pats need to write some thank you letters to the Refs for helping them win that game.
But, the Colts got what they deserved after the Chiefs got screwed by some bad calls last week.
The Pats will lose in the Super Bowl, only because they have no offense.
Yeah they scored 24 points today but 5 fieldgoals?
Yeah maybe that last field goal was OK, but when you get inside the 20 or 30 you gotta have a TD, not 4 fieldgoals.
Old 01-18-04, 06:18 PM   #23
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdogkt2003
The Pats need to write some thank you letters to the Refs for helping them win that game.
But, the Colts got what they deserved after the Chiefs got screwed by some bad calls last week.
The Pats will lose in the Super Bowl, only because they have no offense.
Yeah they scored 24 points today but 5 fieldgoals?
Yeah maybe that last field goal was OK, but when you get inside the 20 or 30 you gotta have a TD, not 4 fieldgoals.

Old 01-18-04, 06:19 PM   #24
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdogkt2003
...but when you get inside the 20 or 30 you gotta have a TD, not 4 fieldgoals.
Or else what... You'll never make it to the Super Bowl???

Old 01-18-04, 06:21 PM   #25
LivingINClip
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will not go near as far as to see that the Colt's would of won, if it wouldn't of been for the bad calls, but you CANNOT deny that there was a lot of bad calls, on both sides and it effected the overall game.

If you think the Patriots only won it because of talent, you're mistaken. There was some calls that went for the Patriots, that helped them. Would they of still won it? Most likely, due to Mannings 4Int and the fact Colt's defense never stepped up. Was the game still botched? YES!