Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-14-04, 10:35 PM   #51
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah, Jamar Smith is a senior, but he's not that great and it only in his second year in the program.
Not that great? Come on! He's not an elite, but 8 double-doubles? 22 points and 9 rebounds tonight against Sean May? Give him some credit!

Fear the Turtle!
Old 01-14-04, 10:56 PM   #52
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by MrX
Illinois misses Brian Cook badly.

They're reverting back to their play last year when he wasn't on the court and just passed the ball around the perimeter until the clock runs down and jack up a bad 3.

Weber needs to scrap his offense for now and start running set plays since this team isn't taking it very well.

Dee Brown might be on the verge of taking the title of "most overrated player in America" away from Chris Duhon.
They need to integrate Augustine into the offense more. Him and Powell were the only guys to shoot over 50% from the floor tonight - too bad neither could hit a free throw.

U of I shot: 38% FG; 40% FT; 26% 3PT

I'm sure Duhon would be happy to finally give up that crown. He's only been wearing it for about two to three years.
Old 01-14-04, 11:04 PM   #53
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by B.A.hist
They need to integrate Augustine into the offense more. Him and Powell were the only guys to shoot over 50% from the floor tonight - too bad neither could hit a free throw.
Augustine gets doubled when ever he gets the ball down low since they have no one else that is a low post threat. If the guards could hit an outside shot it would help with that

If I was coaching Powell would be down at the the end of the bench. He's a terrible defender and a blackhole on the offensive end. Weber spends most of his time screaming at the offensive end telling Powell to do something.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 01-14-04, 11:10 PM   #54
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by MrX
Augustine gets doubled when ever he gets the ball down low since they have no one else that is a low post threat. If the guards could hit an outside shot it would help with that

If I was coaching Powell would be down at the the end of the bench. He's a terrible defender and a blackhole on the offensive end. Weber spends most of his time screaming at the offensive end telling Powell to do something.
What about Nick Smith? He's not a waste of a roster spot or anything.

I didn't know Powell was that bad - the few times I have seen them he seems to perform decently and by that I mean I have seen much worse. Like you said, though, they miss Brian Cook and that's that w/ that.
Old 01-15-04, 12:03 AM   #55
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What about Nick Smith? He's not a waste of a roster spot or anything.

I didn't know Powell was that bad - the few times I have seen them he seems to perform decently and by that I mean I have seen much worse. Like you said, though, they miss Brian Cook and that's that w/ that.
Smith has his moments and can do some good things. When he wants to he can be a plus, like the Ohio St game.

It's been my experience, and others I've talked to, that Weber spends most of his time screaming at Powell to move or set a screen when Illinois has the ball. The first thing he does is head down to the block and call for the ball. If he gets it 99% of the time he's going to shoot it. And when you're barely 6'6 that's not a good thing

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 01-15-04, 07:38 AM   #56
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by MrX
Smith has his moments and can do some good things. When he wants to he can be a plus, like the Ohio St game.
When I was at Savvis for the U of I /Mizzou game, Smith looked terrrible. He took plenty of stupid shots and I can't even recall if he made one of them. The other times I have watched them on the tube, he has never looked to great either, though I didn't see the OSU game. Would have been nice if Villaneuva would have followed through on his oral commitment and went to Champaign. That hurts, too.
Old 01-15-04, 07:57 AM   #57
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great win by the Terps last night. If the Heels had stepped up on defense a couple of times, they might have been in position to win. But the ball bounced in Maryland's favor and they executed.

I predict that the Heels run the Terps off the floor in Chapel Hill next month. Hopefully Jawad and everyone else is 100% for that game.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 01-15-04, 10:47 AM   #58
Josh H
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah, he's not that great.* Nice jinx. I guess you did not see him dominate the Wisconsin game.

Gotta love Gilchrist in this game. Caner-Medley - as always around the ball.

Jinxing works great. Every time I talked shit about the WVU football team last year (i.e. said VT would kill them) they won.

Actually I meant more defensively (as he is undersized compared to May) and that' he's inconsistent. I didn't catch the Wisconsin games, just WVU on TV, and attened the Mount St. Mary's and UMES games and he wasn't nearly this good in them.

Either way, I was pleasantly surprised. The Terps have a ton of talent, they're just young an inexperienced. They should be unbelievable the next couple of years. Ibekwe will have to pick up Jamar's scoring inside, and they really need to recruit a true center (someone that tall and big, not just tall) and learn to hit free throws and they'll have a great shot at another championship.

It will be interesting to see how they play on the road. The crowd and atmosphere was amazing. Easily the best sporting event I've attended in person. Of course, sitting in the first row near mid-court didnt' hurt anything.

Hopefully the Duke game will be just as good next week.
Old 01-15-04, 12:08 PM   #59
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

McCants quote on the technical:

Quote:
"I've seen it before; I've actually ran it before," McCants said. "I was thinking about not letting him catch the ball. I crossed the line, they called a technical and the game's over. I was aware I stepped over the line but I didn't know I couldn't do it."

Sounds like Roy needs to go over some basics with the young lad.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-15-04, 12:35 PM   #60
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Vote for you all-time (last 25 years) all-conference teams:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...t?event_id=552

Of course, it is absolute joke that Juan Dixon (3-time 1st team ACC) is not one of the nominees.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-15-04, 12:42 PM   #61
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No Kenny Smith? Garbage!

I picked: C- Duncan
F- Laetner
F- Bias
G- Price
G- J. Williams

It pained me not to vote Jordan or Jamison (Jamison especially, since he was far more dominant), but Laetner and Bias were the right calls.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Old 01-15-04, 12:43 PM   #62
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ibekwe will have to pick up Jamar's scoring inside, and they really need to recruit a true center (someone that tall and big, not just tall) and learn to hit free throws and they'll have a great shot at another championship.
They don't need to recruit one - they already have one: FR Hassan Fofana, 6'10", 290. He should be ready to go next year.
Old 01-15-04, 12:45 PM   #63
Josh H
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Duran
They don't need to recruit one - they already have one: FR Hassan Fofana, 6'10", 290. He should be ready to go next year.
That's true. He looked like a turd the garbage time he played against MSM and UMES though. But he could well improve.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-15-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 12:45 PM   #64
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Mine was

C- Duncan
F- Bias
F- Hill
G- Price
G- Jordan

There were some other glaring omissions besides Dixon. Worthy and Monroe are 2 huge ones IMO. They should have had a wider selection of candidates.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-15-04, 12:47 PM   #65
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
That's true. He's look like a turd the garbage time he played against MSM and UMES though. But he could well improve.

Don't underestimate Gary's ability to develop players. I mean who would have thought in their freshman years that Dixon and Baxter would become elite players.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-15-04, 12:55 PM   #66
Josh H
Retired

Quote:
Don't underestimate Gary's ability to develop players. I mean who would have thought in their freshman years that Dixon and Baxter would become elite players.
I know. Fofana doesn't seem very athletic at all though, where as I at least saw some athletic ability in Dixon and Baxter. Fofana seems like a guy that got recruited soley for his size. A "project" as NBA scouts would say.
Old 01-15-04, 12:57 PM   #67
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

There were some other glaring omissions besides Dixon. Worthy and Monroe are 2 huge ones IMO. They should have had a wider selection of candidates.
Sam Perkins and Kenny Anderson would be a couple of others.

7 of the 15 candidates are Dook players. I wonder if Vitale picked the choices?

Old 01-15-04, 01:02 PM   #68
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Sam Perkins and Kenny Anderson would be a couple of others.

7 of the 15 candidates are Dook players. I wonder if Vitale picked the choices?
IIRC, Kenny Anderson only stuck around for two years, maybe they wanted to limit their choices to guys who were around for at least three years.
Old 01-15-04, 01:06 PM   #69
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Nobody doesn't beat the buzzer better than Kenny Anderson.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 01-15-04, 01:09 PM   #70
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
IIRC, Kenny Anderson only stuck around for two years, maybe they wanted to limit their choices to guys who were around for at least three years.

I agree. I would not have considered anyone who played less than 3 years. That's why I did not vote Iverson in the Big East one.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-15-04, 01:14 PM   #71
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Carmello Anthony is a choice for the Big East team. He only stayed one year.

While voting for the other teams, and seeing the current results, I'm a little bit baffled. Shaq is in first place in the SEC (granted the other center choices are a little obscure- although Bowie was twice the college player that Shaq was). Penny Hardaway is first in votes for Conf. USA, and Pervis Ellison is third-to-last (maybe because he is going against Hakeem).

Old 01-15-04, 01:33 PM   #72
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Doing it for CUSA is a joke to begin with. I believe that the conference has only existed for 10 or so years. For example, Olajuwon and Ellison never played in CUSA. I believe they played in the old Metro Conference.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-15-04, 02:03 PM   #73
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Mine was

C- Duncan
F- Bias
F- Hill
G- Price
G- Jordan

Replace Hill w/ Laettner and you have the five I voted for.

They should have given 25 choices for the 25 years. Then it would have been less likely to omit those deserving to be listed.
Old 01-15-04, 02:10 PM   #74
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

The list of choices for the Big 12 and the Big Ten are ugly. I guess it just shows how many good ball players played in the ACC.
Old 01-15-04, 03:23 PM   #75
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I know. Fofana doesn't seem very athletic at all though, where as I at least saw some athletic ability in Dixon and Baxter. Fofana seems like a guy that got recruited soley for his size. A "project" as NBA scouts would say.
He was a top 10 center recruit, so he must have some skill. And Baxter most certainly did not seem athletic when he first came to MD. Same with Obinna Ekezie. It seems to take Gary a year to get them in shape and familiar with the position.