Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-03-03, 04:56 PM   #1
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Phillies acquire Eric Milton from Twins

Didn't see this one coming.

Quote:

ESPN.com
The Philadelphia Phillies acquired left-hander Eric Milton from the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday for reliever Carlos Silva, infielder Nick Punto and a minor leaguer to be named after the Rule 5 draft, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1677419
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 12-03-03, 04:59 PM   #2
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Phillies taking on his whole salary?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-03-03, 05:00 PM   #3
DarkElf

The obvious question is how much of Milton's ridiculous $9M contract are the Twins picking up?
Old 12-03-03, 05:01 PM   #4
DarkElf

Although the quick trading of Milton WAS expected. Same with Jacque Jones, he'll be traded soon as well.

They have to dump both players in order to sign Guardado and Stewart.
Old 12-03-03, 05:03 PM   #5
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

I knew he'd be traded. I didn't know the Phillies would be interested.

One would think this isn't the smartest move especially if they're taking all the salary on and they're not going after other pitchers. But he is a decent pitcher, and we'll see how he comes back after the injury with a full offseason to work.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 12-03-03, 06:16 PM   #6
Paradigm
Banned

depending on how much they are paying...this could be a steal. very little giving up
Old 12-03-03, 06:45 PM   #7
Shamu

Are the Twins even paying anything? I don't see anything saying that they are. Fantastic deal for the Twins if so.
Old 12-04-03, 12:31 AM   #8
vdadlani219
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carlos Silva is a halfway decent pitcher (5.25/10 or so). Not overpowering, and relies on putting the ball in play to get outs (see his strikeout totals and hit totals for that).

Nick Punto has no upside at all. He won't amount to a everyday regular and will be limited to a utility infielder. His sticking point to the majors is that he is a switch-hitter and can play both middle infield positions.

Twins basically traded Milton for financial reasons. Phillies acquire a mid rotation starter.

Wolf, Myers, Padilla, Milton pan out to an above average rotation (with Wagner closing out games).

Phillies fan should be happy, they will be better than last year.
Old 12-05-03, 11:28 AM   #9
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was a good move when I first saw it, but given what each team is paying, it doesn't look good for Philly. Milton essentially replaces Millwood at a similar cost and he's not nearly as good.

Milton has always been a tease. Good ratio, good stuff, and yet posts below average ERAs. Unless Milton does finally break-through, I don't like this move at all
Old 12-05-03, 02:37 PM   #10
Geofferson

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkElf
Although the quick trading of Milton WAS expected. Same with Jacque Jones, he'll be traded soon as well.

They have to dump both players in order to sign Guardado and Stewart.
and it's a good decision in my book. Arguably, Stewart can be given almost all the credit for their run for the post-season after the All-Star break.
Old 12-05-03, 02:53 PM   #11
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Geofferson
and it's a good decision in my book. Arguably, Stewart can be given almost all the credit for their run for the post-season after the All-Star break.
Well you can keep on believing that if you will. I certainly don't, and I should point out that the "magicness" of Shannon Stewart got Toronto a grand total of 0 playoff appearances. Stewart's and okay player, and probably better than Milton and certainly Jones. But he's a far cry from what you make him out to be.
Old 12-05-03, 03:57 PM   #12
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

To add to Jericho's comment, Stewart's performance with the Twins was only slightly better than what you would expect from an average LF. What put the Twins over the top in the second half was that their team ERA was close to a full point better over the second part of the season versus what it was in the first part.

Not that Stewart didn't help, but to say that he should be given almost all the credit for their post all-star break run is silly.