Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-04-03, 12:29 PM   #1
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Anthony Carter's blunder allows Miami to become big players in NBA free agent market

oops....

Quote:
A shocking oversight by Anthony Carter suddenly has established the Heat as a major player in NBA free agency, one now with the salary-cap space to sign the likes of Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal or Gilbert Arenas.

The staggering lapse by the veteran point guard effectively terminates the Heat's financial obligation and unexpectedly has it in position to spend as much as $11 million this summer on upgrades.

Instead of settling on a mid-level acquisition to help reverse its slide to last season's 25-67 record, the Heat either can offer a maximum contract to a single All-Star or afford two mid-level free agents, such as P.J. Brown, Gary Payton, Brad Miller or Lamar Odom.

Holding a player option on the third and final year of his contract for $4.1 million for the coming season, Carter merely had to inform the Heat by Monday's deadline that he would remain under contract.

Astonishingly, that deadline was allowed to pass without any communication to the Heat by Carter or his representatives. As of the close of business Thursday there still had not been any contact between the parties.

"Somebody just mentioned this to me," agent Bill Duffy said when contacted Thursday evening before abruptly ending the phone call. A call to Carter's South Florida home was answered and then hung up on. A return call was answered with a response that the guard had stepped out.

The result is the Heat has eliminated one of its most significant salary-cap headaches. On the open market, Carter does not figure to merit more than the $688,679 NBA minimum this season for a player with four seasons of experience.

The Heat had the opportunity to release Carter before the end of the season and challenge his right to therefore invoke his 2003-04 option. But coach Pat Riley said he did not believe such a gambit was ethical, nor could he be sure the maneuver would be allowed.

Carter was signed to the three-year, $12 million contract July 19, 2001, after agreeing to play 2000-01 at a minimal wage as part of the Heat's restocking with Eddie Jones and Brian Grant.

The option year was included at the end of the deal in case the statistics of the 6-foot-2 guard merited a raise after two seasons. But Carter shot a dismal 35.6 percent this season and was benched for 20 games.

The wording of Carter's agreement stated he had to "opt in" for the third year of the contract by June 30. There is not believed to be any recourse in such a deadline situation.

The Heat entered the July 1 start to free agency under the impression it could have as much as $7 million to spend on an additional player.

At that figure, there was some thought the Heat would save the cap space, wait for Carter's contract to expire next summer, and then make its move on the open market.

Instead, the Heat finds itself amid the heavy hitters in the league's offseason bidding derby. The only other teams in position to offer a maximum contract to a single player are the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers and Utah Jazz.

However, Utah and Los Angeles would be removed from that group if the Clippers re-sign Elton Brand and the Jazz brings back Karl Malone.

By being freed of its commitment to Carter, the Heat is in position to overhaul its alignment at point guard.

Travis Best, last year's starter, is not expected back as a free agent. Mike James, who emerged at the top reserve at the position last season, is a free agent and is at the Indiana Pacers' summer camp.

Eddie House, the undersized shooter who also has played point guard under Riley, was not extended a qualifying offer by Monday's deadline and is a free agent. It's possible he now could return with a roster spot no longer required for Carter.

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@sun-sentinel.com.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 07-04-03, 02:06 PM   #2
Mad Dawg
DVD Talk Legend

Once I lost a $20 bill and thought I would go bananas. Knowing that I lost $4.1 mil would probably send me to the nearest ledge, and I would be taking my agent with me.

"Somebody just mentioned this to me." - Duffy

I'm guessing that any player he represents is going to be "mentioning" that his services are no longer required.
Old 07-04-03, 02:31 PM   #3
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Once I lost a $20 bill and thought I would go bananas. Knowing that I lost $4.1 mil would probably send me to the nearest ledge, and I would be taking my agent with me.

"Somebody just mentioned this to me." - Duffy

I'm guessing that any player he represents is going to be "mentioning" that his services are no longer required.
I'm not big on folks suing others, but it sure seems like his agent committed extreme negligence; it's his job to do this stuff.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 07-04-03, 08:10 PM   #4
tofu
DVD Talk Legend

No Christmas bonus for Bill Duffy.
Old 07-04-03, 10:19 PM   #5
Jericho
DVD Talk Legend

lol. Yep, sounds like a lawsuit coming. This is too funny, at least when it's not me
Old 07-05-03, 09:53 AM   #6
Jobronie
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
This is so ridiculous, at first I really thought it was a joke, like the 'Jordan to Join Lakers' thread.

This is beyond malpractice or incompetence, the stuff of Red Sox lore (like mailing a day late contracts to three of its biggest stars)......
Old 07-05-03, 09:57 AM   #7
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

Do you know where I can find this agent's business card? I'd like to give one to Vin Baker.
Old 07-05-03, 11:43 AM   #8
TopHatCat64

Amen to that, we have enough dead weight on the celtics as is.
Old 07-05-03, 12:29 PM   #9
Jobronie
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisih8u
Do you know where I can find this agent's business card? I'd like to give one to Vin Baker.
I'll drink to that. Ooops, bad choice of words.....

I miss the good ol' days of driving out to Putterham and seeing the big blonde guy from French Lick mowing his own lawn. It told you something about what kind of team it was then.........
Old 08-04-03, 12:39 PM   #10
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Update on this... the agent is covering his losses:

Quote:
Agent to pay $3 million to cover mistake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Anthony Carter thought he lost $4.1 million due to a mistake by his agent.

But the former Miami Heat guard will get all of his money -- and his agent will suffer the loss.

Carter's agent Bill Duffy plans to pay Carter approximately $3 million to cover the losses suffered when he failed to pick up Carter's player option by the June 30 deadline.

Carter was due to make $4.1 million by picking up the option. Instead, he was forced to scramble to find another team, eventually signing as a free agent with the San Antonio Spurs for a little under $1 million.

''It was just a mix-up with my agent, but we squared it all away,'' Carter told television station WFOR in Miami on Saturday. "It's not my fault, it's not the Heat's fault. It's just something that happened.

"My agent is a great person. We got that squared away where he's going to take care of the rest of it."

Carter told the station that he wishes the incident had not happened so that he could remain in Miami. But he found a team that needed his services after the Spurs lost backup guard Speed Claxton to Golden State.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 08-04-03, 05:15 PM   #11
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Nice pickup for the Spurs and I'm glad his agent made it right by covering the loss. He probably had to, but its nice its all settled.
Old 08-04-03, 06:05 PM   #12
~~ PAL ~~
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by darkside
Nice pickup for the Spurs and I'm glad his agent made it right by covering the loss. He probably had to, but its nice its all settled.
The agent did cover it. So at least he was smart enough to do the right thing and avoided looking stuipider than he already is. Plus, if he didn't, he can pretty much bow out of the agent business.
Old 08-04-03, 08:04 PM   #13
chowderhead
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So could a Miami fan or somebody post whom the Miami Heat did sign with all their salary cap money? Thanks.
Old 08-04-03, 08:31 PM   #14
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by chowderhead
So could a Miami fan or somebody post whom the Miami Heat did sign with all their salary cap money? Thanks.
I'd be happy to. Ready?

Want to hear it again?

Actually, they signed Elton Brand to an offer sheet, but the Clippers matched it. Riles really wants Lamar Odom, but is afraid that the Clips will match him too. The plan is probably to wait through what will certainly be a horrendous season then be a player next year when Lamar will likely be an unrestricted free agent.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-05-03, 11:23 AM   #15
the aftermath
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Decker
Riles really wants Lamar Odom, but is afraid that the Clips will match him too. The plan is probably to wait through what will certainly be a horrendous season then be a player next year when Lamar will likely be an unrestricted free agent.
I think the Clips mentioned they would match the offer sheet for Odom too.
Old 08-05-03, 11:47 AM   #16
AndyCapps
Moderator Emeritus

So the real question is how much money was paid under the table to Duffy to conveniently "forget" about the opt in clause? That Pat Riley is a sneaky bastard.
Old 08-05-03, 04:32 PM   #17
rkndkn
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AC is such a classy man. I'm so proud he played with the UH Rainbows. He could easily have thrown blame left and right, but he never badmouthed his agent.

He is also a man of his word, and shortly after signing with the Heat, he donated $100,000.00 to the UH athletic program.

Best wishes for him with the Spurs!
Old 08-05-03, 05:13 PM   #18
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyCapps
So the real question is how much money was paid under the table to Duffy to conveniently "forget" about the opt in clause? That Pat Riley is a sneaky bastard.
He's sneaky, but he's not stupid. If he did that and got caught the NBA would make the Joe Smith Timberwolves penalty look like nothing compared to the punishment they'd give Riley and the Heat.