Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-01-03, 07:52 AM   #1
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Top Ten Ways to spice up Soccer

This might just be the stupidest thing I've ever read. No wonder nobody attached their by-line to take credit for it:

Why not make the ball square while you're at it, moron?
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Charles Guiteau, in a letter to General William Sherman in 1881.
Old 07-01-03, 07:57 AM   #2
Groucho

I hope you realize that it was a joke.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 07-01-03, 08:30 AM   #3
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Patterson CA
Mines

"Forsberg plays like Bird -- with no regard for his body, to win and not for money. They're comets that burn so brightly, they tan your face with delight. Then they go away and you feel like crying."
Old 07-01-03, 08:48 AM   #4
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I realize that some of the ideas are all in good humor (especially the reader mail) but the whole point of the article is ridiculous. Obviously soccer is a niche sport in this country and will likely never be a top 4 sport and that's fine. But it seems pointless for articles like this, and for guys like Jim Rome to constantly bash the sport. If you don't enjoy it, fine- don't play, don't watch. But let others make up their own mind.
"I have just shot the President. I shot him several times as I wished him to go as easily as possible. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, theologian, and politician. I am going to the jail. Please order out your troops and take possession of the jail at once."

Old 07-01-03, 09:17 AM   #5
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

I've come to realize that the biggest hurdle soccer has in this country has little to do with the content of the sport itself; rather, it's overcoming this intense hatred so many people seem to have for it. It's like people are offended that some of us enjoy watching it. Sportscasters (I use that term loosely) dedicate a surprisingly large amount of energy berating the sport and its fans like we were all involved in double homicides or something. Great ... you don't like soccer ... la-de-da. Repeatedly whining about not liking it does not count as sports coverage. Some people gain too much satisfaction hating the sport. Why waste the energy? I don't get it.

As for the article, I actually enjoy healthy mockery of soccer and its lack of popularity here, but the article just isn't funny or original. The serious parts are stupid, and the attempts at humor are just plain bad. Is he mocking soccer? Is he mocking Americans and our obsession with instant gratification in sports? Weak either way. The readers' responses were much more creative.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 07-01-03, 09:27 AM   #6
devilshalo
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, marry a Spice girl? No I guess even that didn't work
Old 07-01-03, 09:28 AM   #7
Groucho

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
If you don't enjoy it, fine- don't play, don't watch. But let others make up their own mind.
OMG! If you don't like soccer than just STFU!!!
Old 07-01-03, 09:30 AM   #8
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

I thought we had a rule here. Soccer threads are only allowed in the sports forum once every 4 years.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 07-01-03, 09:32 AM   #9
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Trampolines.

Egads! A Myspace Page
Old 07-01-03, 09:34 AM   #10
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Red Dog •
I thought we had a rule here. Soccer threads are only allowed in the sports forum once every 4 years.

Can't we have the Women's World Cup too? I mean, she took her shirt off ... that's gotta be worth another rotation.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 07-01-03, 09:43 AM   #11
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Red Dog •

Can't we have the Women's World Cup too? I mean, she took her shirt off ... that's gotta be worth another rotation.

das

Yeah to reveal a sports bra. Wow! I still can't get over the hoopla that ensued. It was like people in this country had never been to a gym or the beach.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-01-03, 09:46 AM   #12
Groucho

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
Which is about as often as somebody makes a goal.
Old 07-01-03, 09:49 AM   #13
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Red Dog •
Yeah to reveal a sports bra. Wow! I still can't get over the hoopla that ensued. It was like people in this country had never been to a gym or the beach.

Never made any sense to me either, but I can't figure out why people don't enjoy the sport in the first place. I figure if it puts asses in seats and doesn't change the game itself, who am I to complain? At least one good thing came from that: the Kevin Garnett SportsCenter commercial.

das

Old 07-01-03, 09:52 AM   #14
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Groucho
Which is about as often as somebody makes a goal.

Which explains why that Mexican guy gets so excited when somebody scores a goal.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-01-03, 09:56 AM   #15
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Egads! A Myspace Page
Old 07-01-03, 12:03 PM   #16
wendersfan

Quote:
Originally posted by das Monkey
Sportscasters (I use that term loosely) dedicate a surprisingly large amount of energy berating the sport and its fans like we were all involved in double homicides or something.

das
It's because they have a great fear that the sport will become more popular and then they'll have to learn something about it.

The deal is, the sport actually is popular in the US, it's just not as popular as some people think it should be. The average attendance for an MLS match is larger than the average attendance for the top divisions in almost every other country. The only difference is that we are such a large country that we can have four team sports that are even more popular.

Personally, I don't care. The MLS sucks and is run by a bunch of idiots. It can wither away and die for all that it means to me. I'll continue to follow the Serie A (Italy) and La Liga (Spain) like I always have.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-01-03, 02:21 PM   #17
mwj

I enjoy the World Cup. One thing that has always just made me cringe is tie games being decided by penalty kicks. World tournaments should not end on penalty shots, they should end on the field. Play overtime.

Last edited by mwj; 07-01-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-01-03, 02:23 PM   #18
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by mwj
I enjoy the World Cup. One thing that has always just made cringe is tie games being decided by penalty kicks. World tournaments should not end on penalty shots, they should end on the field. Play overtime.

For sudden death, why don't they continue playing and remove a player from each team every 5 minutes or so until a goal is scored. Would that not be better than penalty kicks?
- Josh Hinkle
Old 07-01-03, 02:27 PM   #19
mwj

That's a good idea and certainly preferable to penalty kicks IMO.
Old 07-01-03, 02:29 PM   #20
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Re: Top Ten Ways to spice up Soccer

Quote:
This might just be the stupidest thing I've ever read. No wonder nobody attached their by-line to take credit for it:

Why not make the ball square while you're at it, moron?
even though most of it was meant as a joke
this writer accomplished his goal..
he got you to go out and post the story for everyone to read
Old 07-01-03, 02:29 PM   #21
bishop2knight
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They need to let Keira Knightley play. If you don't know who this is, check out the Mature forum.
Old 07-01-03, 03:29 PM   #22
Tommy_Harn
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed about the MLS, it is difficult to watch many times. But I think it is the main reason the US Nat'l team is experiencing such success (save the Confed. Cup last month).

Old 07-01-03, 04:18 PM   #23
wendersfan

Quote:
Agreed about the MLS, it is difficult to watch many times. But I think it is the main reason the US Nat'l team is experiencing such success (save the Confed. Cup last month).
I think it might actually be a hindrance to the national squad. Most of the key players (Reyna, Donovan, Friedel, et. al.) either play or have played in Europe for a significant portion of their careers. To me, the biggest factor in the recent successes of the US, aside from the fact the it was inevitable that we'd start doing something, is Bruce Arena. He's a guy that won't take crap from the stuffed shirts at the USSF, understands what it's like to win, and realizes the importance that minority groups will mean in the future. The 'powers that be' are only interested in the white suburban middle-class demographic, which will lead to nothing in the end.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 07-01-03, 10:08 PM   #24
NCMojo
DVD Talk Legend

I have a great way to improve soccer! Eliminate the goalie.

All the goalie does is stop people from making goals, and that's not fair! In basketball, it's illegal to have some big guy stand in front of the goal and swat everything away; why should soccer allow it? What kind of game would you rather see -- a 1-0 game, or a game that ends 25-19?

The Official Cabinet
Old 07-02-03, 04:50 AM   #25
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

1-0

das

Sponsored Links