Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-10-03, 10:53 AM   #1
leepyswetr
DVD Talk Special Edition

ManUre agrees to sell Beckham

Manchester United has agreed to sell David Beckham to Barcelona, if he's willing to go.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...269478&cc=5901
Old 06-10-03, 10:57 AM   #2
Copenhagen
DVD Talk Legend

If he does get moved that would free up a spot for Ronaldinho to move to Man U from PSG, which has been speculated over the past week.
DTSL: Doppelgangers (84522)
kvrdave runs Bartertown
Old 06-10-03, 11:41 AM   #3
eXcentris
DVD Talk Legend

Man Utd accept Beckham bid
------------------------------------

Manchester United have agreed to sell David Beckham to Barcelona if Joan Laporta is elected president of the Spanish club.

Laporta had made Beckham his number one target ahead of Barca's elections on Sunday.

But the deal to take the England captain to the Nou Camp will depend on Laporta edging out rival Lluis Bassat for the presidency - and Beckham agreeing personal terms.

And Beckham's advisors responded to the news by saying they had no plans to meet Laporta or his representatives.

"Manchester United confirms that club officials have met Joan Laporta, the leading candidate for the presidency of Barcelona," said a statement on the Manchester United website.

"These meetings have resulted in an offer being made for the transfer of David Beckham to Barcelona.

"This offer is subject to a number of conditions and critically to both Mr Laporta being elected president on Sunday 15 June and Barcelona subsequently reaching agreement with David Beckham on his personal contract.

"Manchester United confirms that in the event that all of the conditions are fulfilled then the offer would be acceptable."

Manchester United's decision to go public on the Barcelona bid is a clear statement that they are willing to let Beckham go.

Milan cool on Beckham link

But Real Madrid, AC Milan and Inter Milan have also been linked with him in recent weeks and the news could draw them into the chase.

The possible transfer fee has not been disclosed but it has been reported that United would want at least 30m.

Beckham will also need convincing that Barcelona is the right move for him as they cannot offer him Champions League football next season.

The 28-year-old midfielder had previously insisted he wanted to stay at United, but admitted for the first time on Tuesday that his long-term future might not lie at Old Trafford.

"I've never said that I'd never move away from Manchester, and I've never said that I'd end my career there," Beckham, who is on holiday in the US, told the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

"With all the big teams there are always going to be changes because you look to strengthen the team whether you win three trophies or you win one.

"These rumours have been going on for two months now. About a month ago, it was Real Madrid and now it's Barcelona.

"But I'm a Manchester United player. I'm contracted to Manchester United for another two or three years, I think. As long as they want me, then I'll stay."

Although Beckham played down speculation about a rift between him and boss Sir Alex Ferguson, United's decision to accept the Barca bid suggests they are planning for next season without him.

"When David Beckham arrives from holiday, we will begin negotiations with him," said Laporta, who has closed the gap on Bassat from 29% to less than 3% in the latest opinion poll.

"If I am not elected president, I would turn over the transfer to the man who does win."

AC Milan had begun to emerge as Beckham's most likely destination, but president Silvio Berlusconi and director Ariedo Braida have both said they are not interested.

Meanwhile, Inter general director Massimo Moretti said: "Beckham is a great player, there is an interest because the best players always appeal to Inter Milan."
Old 06-10-03, 01:19 PM   #4
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope Barcelona gets him. I might start paying more attention and wearing my barcelona jersey again.
Old 06-11-03, 11:14 PM   #5
beckham

So where do you think I'm heading to?

I haven't really seen it on the boards here but it is all that is being talked about in the UK. Is or isn't Beckham going to make a move from Man U?

I read today that a Spanish paper or tv station all but confirmed that Madrid and not Barcelona was the team of choice. And there is also AC Milan.

Anybody keeping up with this as well? It is sooo drawn out these last two months.

BTW...England-2 Slovikia-1 (God bless Owen)
Old 06-11-03, 11:50 PM   #6
mnguye10
DVD Talk Special Edition

What happens if Beckham decides to veto the move? Is it his right? Is it seen negatively if he vetos the move? (sorry for all these questions, I don't know much about soccer)
Old 06-12-03, 01:30 PM   #7
beckham

To my understanding (which may be wrong however), Man U can accecpt a bid from a team but then it is up to Beck's to approve it where he may or may not veto the transfer. I am very sure the public wants him to veto any such trade; they love him there.
Old 06-12-03, 02:03 PM   #8
DonnachaOne
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: A place where they know how to pronounce "Donnacha" correctly
Let's hope the moron stays.

What? I'm a Man U fan, and Beckham's a fantastic player. But, he is a very silly person, in all honesty.

I think Ferguson's going to regret any sale of Dave.
Old 06-12-03, 03:39 PM   #9
horseflesh

United SHOULD cash in on him now.
And I have now doubt he'll end up at Real Madrid.
Old 06-17-03, 03:27 PM   #10
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess its Real...

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow
Old 06-17-03, 04:00 PM   #11
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

From the time the fee was agreed with Barca, anyone familiar with La Liga should've known he'd end up at Real Madrid. Madrid's willing to spend 30 million euros just to spite Barca.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 06-17-03, 05:50 PM   #12
beckham

Champions League or Bust here I come.