Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who would win?
John Riegger 8 32.00%
Annika Sorenstam 13 52.00%
Twikoff 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-03, 01:02 AM   #26
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 19,382
Quote:
Originally posted by classicman2
It was her first tournament playing with the boys. She was nervous. I believe the nerves would quite down if she was a regular on the tour.
Think I'll agree with you.

She walked into a fire storm and came out with her head held high. If we are ONLY talking driving distance, here is the list of guys that average 280 or less (from ESPN.COM)

Rank Name #of Rnds Distance

126 Pat Bates 49 280.0
127 Doug Barron 43 279.8
128 David Duval 29 279.7
128 Heath Slocum 42 279.7
128 Kirk Triplett 44 279.7
131 Joel Edwards 30 279.6
131 David Frost 27 279.6
131 John Huston 38 279.6
134 Phil Tataurangi 24 279.2
135 Peter Jacobsen 40 278.9
136 Spike McRoy 55 278.8
136 Nick Price 34 278.8
138 Notah Begay III 37 278.7
139 Jeff Sluman 57 278.3
140 Justin Leonard 49 278.1
141 Brian Gay 46 277.7
142 Jim Furyk 50 277.6
143 Bob Burns 51 277.2
144 Akio Sadakata 35 277.0
144 Jay Haas 45 277.0
146 Mark O'Meara 40 276.9
147 Rocco Mediate 37 276.8
147 Glen Day 53 276.8
147 Robert Damron 42 276.8
150 Chris M. Anderson 31 276.7
151 Bob Estes 38 276.5
152 Scott Hoch 20 276.4
153 Shigeki Maruyama 39 276.3
154 Matt Gogel 40 276.1
154 Scott Laycock 32 276.1
156 Chris Riley 41 276.0
157 Dean Wilson 43 275.6
158 Jeff Maggert 43 275.5
159 Esteban Toledo 58 275.3
160 Matt Kuchar 33 275.0
161 Craig Parry 28 274.7
162 John Maginnes 38 274.6
163 Larry Mize 28 274.1
164 Luke Donald 44 274.0
165 Olin Browne 55 273.8
166 Len Mattiace 48 273.6
167 J.P. Hayes 48 273.4
168 Gene Sauers 52 273.3
169 Tom Byrum 43 272.8
170 Scott Verplank 47 272.6
171 Paul Goydos 38 272.2
172 Brad Faxon 44 271.7
173 Fred Funk 55 271.5
174 Glen Hnatiuk 43 271.0
175 Steven Alker 32 269.5
176 Bernhard Langer 26 269.3
177 Tim Clark 40 268.7
178 Jose Maria Olazabal 30 268.6
179 Corey Pavin 46 267.4
180 Mark Brooks 42 267.1
181 John Cook 23 266.8
182 Fulton Allem 25 266.5
183 Loren Roberts 40 262.1

Pretty big names in there. Even if after playing a while could she win on a regular basis with the men. Probably not. Could she earn a living? I think so. Could she finish in the top 100? Not sure, but I wouldn't mind seeing her try. Besides, I'm getting a little tired of watching the "power" game of golf. Same reason I stopped watching mens tennis. When I watch golf I get tired of them showing the drive. I pretty much tune out till the next shot.

BTW, IMO the guy that challanged her is an idiot. Just trying to get some air time off her coat tails.
__________________
Live Free. Dine Well. Drink good beer.

Home Theater Build
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 02:04 AM   #27
namja
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,866
Quote:
Originally posted by Sdallnct
Pretty big names in there. Even if after playing a while could she win on a regular basis with the men. Probably not. Could she earn a living? I think so. Could she finish in the top 100? Not sure, but I wouldn't mind seeing her try.
Agreed.

Realistically though, why would she play in the PGA and make "no money" when she can make millions in the LPGA?
__________________

life in high definition
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 08:24 AM   #28
edytwinky
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 7,261
True.

I'd rather be a big fish in a little pond than a small fish in a big pond.
__________________
- Eddy B

Proud to be a Wichita State Shocker

My dining blog: Wichita By EB
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 08:40 AM   #29
Red Dog
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 111,087
Quote:
Originally posted by Sdallnct
She walked into a fire storm and came out with her head held high.

True until the point where she made this recent boast.
__________________
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 09:45 AM   #30
classicman2
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 67,863
She has absolutely nothing to gain by playing this publicity hound's game. She made a mistake by responding. She should have ignored him.

Now if the money is a whole bunch better and Tiger Woods is involved (giving a few strokes), the Sorenstam might be willing to play.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 10:52 AM   #31
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
You're right, C-man. What does she have to gain if she beats Bobby Riggs?

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 11:36 AM   #32
Dead
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Quote:
Originally posted by classicman2
She has absolutely nothing to gain by playing this publicity hound's game. She made a mistake by responding. She should have ignored him.

Hmmm... so, if he's a publicity hound, what does that make her?
__________________
Breathe In,
Breathe Out,
Move On.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 12:53 PM   #33
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,635
it would depend on the course. If they play on an lpga course, Annika would win about 4 /10 times. On a U.S. open course, 1/10 times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 12:55 PM   #34
classicman2
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 67,863
Quote:
Originally posted by grrrah
it would depend on the course. If they play on an lpga course, Annika would win about 4 /10 times. On a U.S. open course, 1/10 times.
One out of ten ain't bad. I know a bunch of men who haven't won one out of ten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 01:12 PM   #35
grrrah
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally posted by classicman2
One out of ten ain't bad. I know a bunch of men who haven't won one out of ten.
I meant one on one. Okay, maybe she would win 2 or 3 out of 10 matches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 01:33 PM   #36
neiname
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 4,661
She couldn't even qualify for 30 PGA events if she tried. There is absolutely no chance of her finishing in the top-100 in the money. None.
__________________
neiname
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 03:22 PM   #37
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally posted by das Monkey
Bottom line: if she wants to make declarations about a tour on which she does not compete, she better be prepared to back them up. Otherwise, she needs to shut it and return to the mantra of "I just wanted to test myself." Personally, I have no idea how well she'd do, and really, I don't care; but if she wants to talk the talk ...

While she is famous for another golfing tour, she's no different than any other celebrity who has a great golfing game, and if Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley or Alice Cooper or John Smoltz or anyone else who gets publicity for something other than the PGA tour were to make a similar claim to a large audience, I'd expect someone to challenge that person to a good ol' fashioned duel.

das
Declarations, huh? So you were there, you saw her answer the question or you read the transcript so you know exactly what you're talking about, as usual. Right?

The large audience was the media. Not exactly addressing the nation. She didn't want to answer the quesion, but she's a polite and classy lady. If somebody asks you how you think you'll do in something that's never going to happen anyway, it seems reasonable enough that you might say you'd do ok. What other answer to the question should she have given? I'd probably do really, really badly?

This is from ESPN:

The quote in question came last week in Chicago. Coming off a whirlwind performance at the Colonial, Sorenstam was pressed to estimate how she could do if she played a full schedule against the men -- although she had said she wouldn't play the PGA Tour again.

"If I played there all year and I played 30 tournaments, and I choose the 30 tournaments, who knows? I think I'd be in the top 100 on the money list,'' she said. "Maybe I'm dreaming, but I feel very good about my game and my chances.

"But that's not something I want to try.''
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 05:17 PM   #38
neiname
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 4,661
Quote:
Originally posted by dolphinboy
"If I played there all year and I played 30 tournaments, and I choose the 30 tournaments, who knows? I think I'd be in the top 100 on the money list,'' she said. "Maybe I'm dreaming, but I feel very good about my game and my chances.

"But that's not something I want to try.''
or

"If I played there all year after getting my tour card, which could take a very long time, and got 30 sponsor exceptions to 30 tournaments, and I choose the 30 tournaments that suited my exact style, Colonial really wasn't my style considering I placed 90th or so out of a very weak field, who knows? I think I'd be in the top 100 on the money list if I played my little buns off and wasn't expected to make pies for all the players afterwards"
__________________
neiname
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 06:26 PM   #39
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally posted by neiname
or

"If I played there all year after getting my tour card, which could take a very long time, and got 30 sponsor exceptions to 30 tournaments, and I choose the 30 tournaments that suited my exact style, Colonial really wasn't my style considering I placed 90th or so out of a very weak field, who knows? I think I'd be in the top 100 on the money list if I played my little buns off and wasn't expected to make pies for all the players afterwards"
Interesting bit of creative writing. Are you, by chance, a writer with the New York Times?

Why would she need to get her PGA tour card AND then get 30 sponsor exemptions? Seems like you wouldn't need both. Or were you "misquoted" in your fictional quote? Hmm?

And if she did pick 30 touraments in a year, she really wouldn't be able to be THAT picky. If anyone played ANY 30 tournaments, the results they posted wouldn't be called into question if you did well because you chose the 30 "easiest" courses for your game.

But don't let facts get in the way of your insults.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 07:17 PM   #40
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Quote:
Originally posted by neiname
or

"If I played there all year after getting my tour card, which could take a very long time, and got 30 sponsor exceptions to 30 tournaments, and I choose the 30 tournaments that suited my exact style, Colonial really wasn't my style considering I placed 90th or so out of a very weak field, who knows? I think I'd be in the top 100 on the money list if I played my little buns off and wasn't expected to make pies for all the players afterwards"

Well there's one thing we do know for sure... She'd make you cry like a little girl if you played her nemiene.

Eh, I don't get it why it's such a scandoulous comment, but I wasn't pumping my fist in the air after Vijay Signh made his comment he hoped she didn't make the cut (and then ran and hid the next weekend).
__________________
"OMG, HAHAHAHAA, OMG, HAHAHAHAHAA" - Zuffy referring to this thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 12:06 AM   #41
namja
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,866
Quote:
Originally posted by dolphinboy
Interesting bit of creative writing. Are you, by chance, a writer with the New York Times?

Why would she need to get her PGA tour card AND then get 30 sponsor exemptions? Seems like you wouldn't need both. Or were you "misquoted" in your fictional quote? Hmm?

And if she did pick 30 touraments in a year, she really wouldn't be able to be THAT picky. If anyone played ANY 30 tournaments, the results they posted wouldn't be called into question if you did well because you chose the 30 "easiest" courses for your game.

But don't let facts get in the way of your insults.
Exactly. If she had her tour card, then she could pick any 30 PGA events she wanted without any exemptions.

Granted getting the tour card may take some time, the premise of her making the statement was that IF she had her tour card right now, then she could probably be in the top 100 on the money list. Could she be? That is really up for debate, and I don't think any of us will find out anytime soon.

Anyway, one way she could get her tour card might be if PGA made a new rule, that a PGA tour card would be given to the top player on the LPGA money list. I don't think this will happen any time soon, but maybe in the future ...
__________________

life in high definition
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 11:22 AM   #42
Stu 17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 675
Quote:
Realistically though, why would she play in the PGA and make "no money" when she can make millions in the LPGA?
Money is handed out much more on the PGA Tour than the LPGA.

As of this week, Annika has earned $974,501.00. That would place her only 37th on the men's list.

If she were to finish in 100th place as she says she could, so far she would have collected, $315,839.00. Which is how much Greg Chalmers has earned so far this year, and currently ranks 100 on the PGA tour money list.

Now that $315,839.00 that Chalmers has earned so far on the PGA, would rank 7th on the LPGA tour.

So $600,000.00 difference in half a year, really when you factor in all the endorsements, thats not that big of a deal. Especially when you already have millions. If you wanna play against the best, do it. Money shouldn't be a factor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 12:09 PM   #43
classicman2
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 67,863
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu 17

That would If you wanna play against the best, do it. Money shouldn't be a factor.
You can't be serious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 02:39 PM   #44
Stu 17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 675
Classicman2,

I am serious, how much of a difference is 600,000 dollars when you have millions coming in from endorsements.

Money shouldn't be a factor, unfortunately, it may be. But it shouldn't be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 02:42 PM   #45
Red Dog
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 111,087
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu 17
Classicman2,

I am serious, how much of a difference is 600,000 dollars when you have millions coming in from endorsements.

Money shouldn't be a factor, unfortunately, it may be. But it shouldn't be.

How much does Annika make in endorsments? I have never seen her in a commercial (probably because I never watch LPGA events). I know she makes a decent amount from whomever her equipment provider is, but millions?
__________________
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 06:14 PM   #46
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
She's Callaway's leading spokesperson, above all the men they sponsor I believe, at least I always see her on the Callaway commercials. I bet she brings down a couple mill a year from them.
__________________
"OMG, HAHAHAHAA, OMG, HAHAHAHAHAA" - Zuffy referring to this thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 06:16 PM   #47
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
How much does Annika make in endorsments? I have never seen her in a commercial (probably because I never watch LPGA events). I know she makes a decent amount from whomever her equipment provider is, but millions?
I believe she made about 2.5 million last year in from her sponsors in the U.S.

I would think she made at least another million outside the U.S. and she also earned about 2 million from her winnings. She's over 12 million in carreer winnings on the LPGA. Karrie Webb is 2nd, about 4 million behind her.

Tiger made about 60 million just from endorsements alone last year.

Annika has signed several more deals in the last month, including one with Bank of America who sponsored the Colonial. She'll probably be in the 5-10 million dollar a year range for the rest of her career unless woman's golf gets more popular, which is unlikely.

I wouldn't mind making that for hitting a little white ball around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 08:14 PM   #48
namja
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,866
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu 17
I am serious, how much of a difference is 600,000 dollars when you have millions coming in from endorsements.
The only reasons she makes millions is because she dominates the LPGA. I'm sure Callaway is elated that their equipment is associated with the BEST player. Being a dominant player also means that she (and the Callaway equipment and logo) is often on TV during the weekend when one of the networks is covering the tournament.

Granted she was the highlight of the Colonial, I doubt she'll get similar coverage if she played in the PGA week in week out. As a mediocre player in the PGA, her endorsement may not be in the millions as it is now.
__________________

life in high definition
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 09:17 PM   #49
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally posted by namja
The only reasons she makes millions is because she dominates the LPGA. I'm sure Callaway is elated that their equipment is associated with the BEST player. Being a dominant player also means that she (and the Callaway equipment and logo) is often on TV during the weekend when one of the networks is covering the tournament.

Granted she was the highlight of the Colonial, I doubt she'll get similar coverage if she played in the PGA week in week out. As a mediocre player in the PGA, her endorsement may not be in the millions as it is now.
Well, Tiger only makes millions because he dominates the PGA tour. Seems both right and fair that Annika would make a lot of money for being number one, even if it's on the ladies tour.

Whether it's Annika or Michelle Wie or someone else, when a female golfer goes out and attempts to play the PGA regularly, she will be a big story week in and week out. The whole man vs. woman and breaking down the barriers issues are too good for networks and tournaments to avoid. Even if the woman struggles mightily, she will still be a story week in and week out. A woman on the men's tour, provided she gets her card or is deserving of exemptions, as the number one woman should be, will be a major attraction even if she's not in the top 100 on the money list.

But what purpose would there be to even go out and qualify for a tour unless you really believe that you can compete? As good as Annika is, she isn't that woman and she makes way too much money on her tour. I bet she'll play another men's event in the next year, though. The first woman to really try and play the men's tour will be someone who believes the stardom and endorsements that will come from "breaking down the barriers" will compensate from what she's not making dominating the LPGA.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.