Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-03-03, 01:05 AM   #1
Rod Thorn
DVD Talk Special Edition

Report: Duncan to garner 2nd straight MVP award

This sucks. Should either be KG or Kobe. Can't argue the ballots but Timmy? Thought it was KG's year for sure.

Quote:
Report: Duncan to garner 2nd straight MVP award
May 3, 2003
SportsLine.com staff and wire reports

According to a published report, San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan will be named the NBA's Most Valuable Player for the second straight season.

The San Antonio Express-News is reporting in Saturday's edition that Duncan, who averaged 23.3 points, 12.9 rebounds and 2.9 blocks, will become the eighth player in league history to win back-to-back MVP awards.

The NBA will reveal the MVP during Sunday's ABC Sports' pregame show.

Earlier this week, San Antonio's Gregg Popovich was named coach of the year. This is the second time in three years and the eighth time in league history that the same team has had both the MVP and coach of the year.

Timmy Wins MVP
Old 05-03-03, 01:40 AM   #2
John Richmond
DVD Talk Special Edition

You ain't winnin' an MVP trophy if your team is a 4 or a 5 seed. Check back the last 20 years and I think it's been 1 or 2 seed teams the whole time.

jr
Old 05-03-03, 06:16 AM   #3
BigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Timmy is the man!

KG was the only other player I thought deserved it. I'm sure he'll get it someday though.
Old 05-03-03, 10:23 AM   #4
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Duncan and KG were the most deserving candidates this year. Glad to see Duncan get it. However, MVP and Coach of the Year will be pretty worthless to the Spurs if they can't get past the Lakers this year.
Old 05-03-03, 11:31 AM   #5
Rod Thorn
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by John Richmond
You ain't winnin' an MVP trophy if your team is a 4 or a 5 seed. Check back the last 20 years and I think it's been 1 or 2 seed teams the whole time.

jr
Just off hand ... lets see. There was MJ in 88 (think finished eighth in league standings).

The only problem I have with the MVP voting is that is seems to be inconsistent with its definition. Is it league MVP or team MVP of the league. The argument is always changing to fit the argument (case in AI winning his over Shaq). Then its the definition changes to league leading team but that is not necessarily true (case in Chuck winning). And remember the year Karl Malone won, he did not deserve it but rather deserved it the year before (happened more than once).

I still contend that the wrong player won it this year. Though a solid choice and given the lack of quality centers in the league, Timmy is a decent choice (actually played PF more though). He never won player of the month once. I would have had KG edging out Kobe and Timmy in third. But given the history of the MVP voting, if KG has a good season next year he may win it (even though a more deserving winner emerges next year). And like always, the league will tallor the argument to its best fit.

Last edited by Rod Thorn; 05-03-03 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 11:32 AM   #6
Rod Thorn
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by darkside
Duncan and KG were the most deserving candidates this year. Glad to see Duncan get it. However, MVP and Coach of the Year will be pretty worthless to the Spurs if they can't get past the Lakers this year.
How true is that

Timmy is a good regular season player but doesn't he have a history of choking (see missing FTs against Phoenix for a relatively good FT shooting season)? He couldn't motivate his teammates in the huddles, he couldn't motivate them on the floor. His inabilities to lead is because he wilted in the bright light of expectations and unfufilled promise. You can say the same for KG but what is the argument then? Aren't KG's stats better if it boils down to only the things that actually separates them.

Last edited by Rod Thorn; 05-03-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-03-03, 01:31 PM   #7
Dabaomb
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd go with KG as well. Personally, I think that Duncan is the most methodical, boring player in the NBA. He reminds me of the Pete Sampras of the NBA and that's probably why I can't stand him.

My DVD Profiler
Old 05-03-03, 02:00 PM   #8
Pharoh

Quote:
Originally posted by Dabaomb
I'd go with KG as well. Personally, I think that Duncan is the most methodical, boring player in the NBA. He reminds me of the Pete Sampras of the NBA and that's probably why I can't stand him.
But you know that is exactly why many do like him, and Sampras for that matter.

FWIW I would have voted KG first and Duncan second.
Old 05-03-03, 02:07 PM   #9
namja
Stealth Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pharoh
But you know that is exactly why many do like him, and Sampras for that matter.

FWIW I would have voted KG first and Duncan second.
Ditto that.

And as darkside mentioned, the MVP becomes meaningless if the Spurs lose to the Lakers in the second round ... just like if KG won the MVP, that is meaningless, having lost to the Lakers in the first round.

life in high definition
Old 05-03-03, 03:52 PM   #10
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dabaomb
There's a reason Shaq calls him the Big Fundamental. He IS the Sampras of the NBA.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-03-03, 05:28 PM   #11
lesterlong
Banned

Duncan deserved it. Without him, the Spurs won't make the playoffs. And Kobe's not even MVP of his team!
Old 05-03-03, 10:31 PM   #12
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by LurkerDan
There's a reason Shaq calls him the Big Fundamental. He IS the Sampras of the NBA.
Can't change who he is. He's not flashy, but its a basketball clinic when you watch him play. The fact he is such a quiet guy is probably what has kept him in San Antonio and will probably have him returning next year. So for San Antonio fans its a blessing he likes to stay out of the spotlight.

His biggest problem is he is not a motivator. Mario Elie and Avery Johnson had tempers and stayed on the team through the 1999 playoffs and it showed in how focused they were going 15-2.

The Spurs have talent, but they don't have the veteran leader getting on people that are dragging their butt and keeping everyone focused and motivated on the floor and in huddles. That may be the factor that keeps them from getting over the top and I think its the big reason the front office wants Jason Kidd so bad.
Old 05-03-03, 10:39 PM   #13
Da Thrilla
DVD Talk Legend

What a crock of ****.

Old 05-04-03, 05:32 PM   #14
Geofferson

KG probably would have got it had the T'Wolves beat the Lakers in the first round.
Old 05-04-03, 06:08 PM   #15
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:
Originally posted by Geofferson
KG probably would have got it had the T'Wolves beat the Lakers in the first round.
No!

To repeat once again, the voting is done at the end of the regular season before the playoffs begin. The results of MVP (and the other league awards) are held and announced one by one to get maximum publicity for the NBA.

And since the MVP award is for the regular season, that's how it should be done.
Old 05-04-03, 07:00 PM   #16
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Thats an important point. These are regular season awards and have nothing to do with the playoffs. Thats why Finals MVP is really the most important award to win besides the actually World Title itself.
Old 05-04-03, 10:30 PM   #17
Joeboo835
DVD Talk Special Edition

KG got robbed. We'd have a ton of ping pong balls without KG. He's our entire team. If anyone saw Wally Z. play in the Lakers series, you'll realize that hte so called "2nd" best player on the Wolves is terrible. KG had no help and got them to a franchise record 51 wins.

Remember, we picked up Hudson from no where, its not like he was a highly saught after free agent, and he was our starting point guard.

KG led the wolves in points, blocks, rebounds, steals and assists. That says a lot.
Old 05-04-03, 10:56 PM   #18
Josh H
Retired

Duncan deserved. The spurs are the top seed, but without him they aren't even in the playoffs.

I wouldn't have argued with KG either, but I give a slight edge to Duncan just because his team did better and his supporting cast isn't THAT much better than KGs.
Old 05-04-03, 11:03 PM   #19
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

The Wolves kinda sputtered at the end of the season and didn't look as impressive, I'm guessing that made the difference. Sounds like the vote was close though.
Old 05-05-03, 11:31 AM   #20
JCJF10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by darkside
He-He-He!

I hope they give Big Tim-bo his award before Game 1 or 2 against the Lakers....

talk about motivating Shaqzilla and Kobe!
Old 05-05-03, 11:42 AM   #21
JCJF10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW - I think it's just fine that Duncan won it.
Old 05-05-03, 12:59 PM   #22
MJKTool
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by lesterlong
Duncan deserved it. Without him, the Spurs won't make the playoffs.
Please. You can make that comment about any team in the NBA without their premier star.
Old 05-05-03, 01:02 PM   #23
Josh H
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by MJKTool
Please. You can make that comment about any team in the NBA without their premier star.
Yeah but it means more when you can say that about the top seed.

Most of the time you take the best player off the top seed, and they still make the playoffs, albeit as a very low seed.

But Duncan is THE spurs. He makes everyone on the team better. That's why he deserves it.

The same can be said for KG, but the fact that his team was a 4 seed gives the edge to Duncan IMO.
Old 05-05-03, 02:02 PM   #24
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

It seems to be a stretch to say that Duncan is solely responsible for the Spurs winning 17 more games (60 wins versus 43 wins -- one less than what the 8th seed had). Not only that, but it also slights Parker, Ginobili, Rose, Robinson, etc.

Without Duncan, the Spurs are a #7 or #8 seed.
Old 05-05-03, 03:53 PM   #25
JCJF10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
It seems to be a stretch to say that Duncan is solely responsible for the Spurs winning 17 more games (60 wins versus 43 wins -- one less than what the 8th seed had). Not only that, but it also slights Parker, Ginobili, Rose, Robinson, etc.

Without Duncan, the Spurs are a #7 or #8 seed.
Good point... the Spurs have many threats.... that's why they are the top seed.
Sponsored Links