Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-01-03, 03:33 PM   #1
Copenhagen
DVD Talk Legend

A's announce new alcohol policy

A's announce new alcohol policy

OAKLAND -- In a joint statement, the Oakland Athletics and the Oakland Police Department announced today the following policy change in regards to alcohol sales in the Coliseum for all Oakland A's games:

Beginning Tuesday, May 6 for the 7:05 pm game against the Chicago White Sox, all alcohol sales within the Coliseum, including the West Side Club, will end following the final out of the seventh inning.
Fans over the age of 21 who wish to purchase alcohol in the West Side Club will be issued a wristband after showing a legal form of identification.
The A's and Oakland Police Department will continue to work together to enforce all alcohol related violations.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS..._oak&fext=.jsp
------------

For those who haven't been to the Coliseum before, the West Side Club would serve alcohol (both beer and hard liquor) past the seventh inning through about 30 mins after the end of the game.

I 'm in total agreement that both the cell phone incident and biting of the police officer's finger were both black eye's to A's fans, but I don't think this will solve the problem in the stands. It's ashame that it case down to this as most people I know that frequent the West Side Club past the seventh inning, do so to avoid the crowds leaving the games. Being able to have a beer or another drink was just a nice bonus.

Maybe I'm off the mark here and just bitter that one of my routines at A's games has just been taken from me.
DTSL: Doppelgangers (84522)
kvrdave runs Bartertown
Old 05-01-03, 06:39 PM   #2
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I agree, it won't work.

Croc RULE!
Old 05-01-03, 06:41 PM   #3
El Scorcho
DVD Talk Hero

Aren't most of the fan attacks happening before the 7th inning anyway?
Old 05-01-03, 07:18 PM   #4
MrPeanut

Isn't it this really about drinking and driving?

I thought all stadiums cut off the beer after some inning or quarter near the end.
Old 05-01-03, 07:54 PM   #5
Copenhagen
DVD Talk Legend

The was this is being present it appears that this is a reaction to the latest two fan mishaps. Granted, yes most stadiums do have a cut off time for sales, but the West Side Club has always sold past the 7th for the years that it has been there

El Scorcho...the Everett incident was around the 4th or 5th IIRC and I don't recall when the biting took place.

One other thing I didn't touch on in my original post was about the wristbands. This is something that I think can deter if nothing at all is underage drinking in the West Side Club. As a matter of fact I wouldn't be against this policy being stadium wide.
DTSL: Doppelgangers (84522)
kvrdave runs Bartertown