Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-22-03, 10:04 AM   #1
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

ACC Wednesday/Thursday

Wed 1/22/03 Maryland @ UNC 7:00 PM ESPN
Wed 1/22/03 Duke @ NC St 9:00 PM Raycom
Thu 1/23/03 Wake @ Virginia 7:00 PM espn2

The top-5 ACC teams are in play the next couple nights and the 3 ranked ACC teams all go on the road. Should be interesting since the road teams are 3-14 so far in conference play.

Maryland and UNC are both coming off big home wins so who can sustain the momentum.

Duke is coming off their first loss and now must go on the road again against another decent opponent. It will be interesting to see how they react. If State wants to be taken seriously, they have to beat Duke at home. This is probably their best opportunity to break Duke's 13-game winning streak over them.

UVA in all practicality is in a must-win situation vs Wake. They are 1-3 in the conference and they currently are #41 in the RPI. They need to hold serve against the upper-echelon teams at home. They played nicely at Duke last week, but losing at Clemson really hurt them. We may be seeing the annual UVA swoon (a little earlier than usual though) - they have dropped 4 of their last 5 including a bad 18-pt loss to a weak Va Tech team last night. We keep hearing this is the year for UVA to get back to the tournament. They need this game to keep them on track.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-22-03 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 10:26 AM   #2
zak52
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

@ UVA
That loss to Virginia Tech had to be embarassing.

MD/UNC should be a good game. It depends on which MD team shows up and which UNC team shows up. Both teams have been up and down so far. I think MD's experience will pull them through on this one.

Duke/NC State has potential to be a good one. NC State has been a disappointment so far this year. NC State needs this game to get some respect. The games they've played to get that respect have all ended up in loses for them. It will be interesting seeing how Duke responds in another hostile envirnoment.
Old 01-22-03, 10:32 AM   #3
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by zak52

Duke/NC State has potential to be a good one.

Yeah. It sucks that Ch. 20 is not showing this game in the DC area.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-22-03, 11:50 AM   #4
zak52

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah. It sucks that Ch. 20 is not showing this game in the DC area.
It's on Ch. 54 in Baltimore. I thought Ch. 20 and 54 always showed the same ACC games.
Old 01-22-03, 11:57 AM   #5
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by zak52
It's on Ch. 54 in Baltimore. I thought Ch. 20 and 54 always showed the same ACC games.

I think Ch. 20 only shows the Raycom/JP weeknight games that Maryland is involved in.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-22-03, 01:13 PM   #6
mnguye10
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh... ACC fans... I was thinking about starting a PAC-10 thread but then people will start ripping me about how weak the PAC is this year in football and basketball (although I'd agree this IS a down year, mostly because of the LA schools).

But there are Pac-10 fans out there, I think...
Old 01-22-03, 01:18 PM   #7
zak52

Quote:
Originally posted by mnguye10
Heh... ACC fans... I was thinking about starting a PAC-10 thread but then people will start ripping me about how weak the PAC is this year in football and basketball (although I'd agree this IS a down year, mostly because of the LA schools).

IMO the more college basketball threads the better. I always start one for the weekend games but there isn't a whole lot of interest this time of year. Once football is over I expect there to be a little more interest in college hoops.
Old 01-22-03, 01:19 PM   #8
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by mnguye10

Go ahead and start one. You might be the only one who posts in it though. Arizona was my pick to win it all from day 1 of the season and nobody else has impressed me enough to stray from that prediction.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-22-03, 05:03 PM   #9
nchhabra
DVD Talk Special Edition

i didnt realize uva was 1-3 in conference. it sucks that their lone win was over unc. tonite's unc-md game should be a good one. i would take md without thinking about it, if it was at cole fieldhouse or whatever their new arena is called. being in the dean dome makes this a much better game imo. i will take unc to squeak another one out. hopefully md will still be blowing their own horn after the duke win.
Old 01-22-03, 07:57 PM   #10
zak52

Quote:
Originally posted by nchhabra
hopefully md will still be blowing their own horn after the duke win.
When was MD blowing their own horn?

Well MD gets a nice double digit win on the road. If they could hit their FT's, MD would have put the game away earlier. All five seniors put up good numbers tonight. Gilchrist had another nice game coming in for Blake.
Old 01-22-03, 08:03 PM   #11
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seeing Gilchrist over the last two games - he looks like he's going to be [b]good.[b]

Anyway, good game by the Terps on the road. Jumped out early, weathered a few storms, and put it away. Free throw shooting was definitely not a bright spot, but after going 29-31 against Duke I won't complain too much.
Old 01-22-03, 09:17 PM   #12
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Gotta love winning by 15 when you shoot that poorly from the charity stripe. Gilchrist looks great - what a luxury it is to have him when Blake isn't at his best.

Always great to beat the Heels, especially on Tobacco Road. The Heels are very strong on the perimeter. Their lack of an inside game really hurts them though. Winning these kind of road games is what will really count in the ACC this year.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-23-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 10:13 PM   #13
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

@ Duke

See what happens when you play real road games (again)?!?
Old 01-22-03, 10:15 PM   #14
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

How about those Dookies! They're real road warriors.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-23-03, 05:00 AM   #15
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blame it on Coach K - their OOC schedule has been anemic.
Old 01-23-03, 08:01 AM   #16
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Duran
Blame it on Coach K - their OOC schedule has been anemic.

I don't blame him for UCLA and Michigan sucking. I do blame him for not scheduling road or true neutral games in November and December.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-23-03, 08:18 AM   #17
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't blame him for UCLA and Michigan sucking. I do blame him for not scheduling road or true neutral games in November and December.
You make a good point.
Old 01-23-03, 10:11 AM   #18
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Oh and go Wake tonight!
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-23-03, 04:03 PM   #19
Trelach24
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't decide if I want Wake or UVA to win.

It's bitter disdain for UVA vs. desire to win the conference
Old 01-23-03, 04:10 PM   #20
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Trelach24
I can't decide if I want Wake or UVA to win.

It's bitter disdain for UVA vs. desire to win the conference

Bitter disdain trumps for me, especially at this early stage of the season. Maryland still has the home game vs Wake to even the score with them. The more UVA loses now, the less fight they will have they get around to playing MD.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-23-03, 04:36 PM   #21
Duran
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd still rather have Wake take a second loss. I'm fairly indifferent between the two teams.
Old 01-23-03, 11:47 PM   #22
Autotelik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Go ahead and start one. You might be the only one who posts in it though. Arizona was my pick to win it all from day 1 of the season and nobody else has impressed me enough to stray from that prediction.

Not even Cal? Bears are now 13-2 (6-0). I have faith!

Old 01-24-03, 02:03 AM   #23
mnguye10
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice to see Nick Vander Laan getting some PT with UVA - he's from Cal. Go Bears.
Old 01-24-03, 07:53 AM   #24
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotelik
Not even Cal? Bears are now 13-2 (6-0). I have faith!

Actually, I was referring to the national picture. Nobody else in the nation has given me pause to change my Arizona National Championship pick.
- Josh Hinkle