Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-16-02, 06:58 PM   #1
davidlynchfan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MOCK BCS Bowls

Here's my vision of the BCS bowls-

FIESTA: Miami vs. Ohio St.
ROSE: Iowa* vs. Washington St.
Orange: Florida St. vs. Georgia
Sugar: Oklahoma vs. winner of USC* vs. Noter Dame*

*at Large

I rather have my Gators in the Cotton rather than the Outback
vs. Texas/Kansas St.

Last edited by davidlynchfan; 11-17-02 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 07:00 PM   #2
twikoff
DVD Talk God

hmmm.. with texas out of the 'at large' runnings.. iowa may actually get a chance at a bcs bowl
Old 11-16-02, 07:22 PM   #3
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Not a chance ... here it is:

Fiesta: Iowa vs. Washington State
Rose: Michigan* vs. Notre Dame*
Orange: Florida $tate vs. LSU
Sugar: Texas Tech vs. Pitt

* At large

Enjoy.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-16-02, 07:24 PM   #4
wildcatlh
DVD Talk Legend

You wish, das.
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
Old 11-16-02, 07:30 PM   #5
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, it could happen.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-16-02, 08:05 PM   #6
davidlynchfan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by das Monkey
Hey, it could happen.

das
Yep,could happen,It starts with
- Miami choking against Pitt,Syracuse & V-Tech
-Ohio St. Chokes against Michigan
-Oklahoma Chokes against Texas Tech & Okla. St.
-Georgia chokes in the SEC Champ.

-hey it's college football so who knows?,especially at seasons end.
Old 11-16-02, 08:40 PM   #7
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, all it takes is Pitt beating Miami, Michigan beating Ohio State, Tech over OU (and then Colorado), and LSU over UGA.

I made the difficult assumption that Michigan would get an at large spot, in part because it would be the Rose choosing and because they would only have losses to two other BCS teams. More likely, though, they would take Notre Dame and Miami and avoid the rematch. Of course, this is all in my fantasy psychosis, so they would just as easily take the North Pluto Fighting Animal Crackers.

das

Old 11-16-02, 08:46 PM   #8
TruGator
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Winner of the SEC Championship goes to Sugar Bowl.
Old 11-16-02, 09:23 PM   #9
Toad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not necessarily --- they could switch 'em up, with the exception of the Fiesta Bowl, to get better ratings, sell more tickets, etc.

I don't think it's set in stone.

Fiesta: Miami v. Ohio State
Sugar: Georgia v. Florida State (interesting one for me )
Orange: Oklahoma v. Notre Dame
Rose: Washington State v. Iowa

Of course, this could all change and be entirely wrong! However, I think even if Miami loses one game, they'll be in one of these games. If Ohio State loses one game, they could switch with Iowa. Notre Dame is up in the air. Georgia could be out with a loss in the SEC Champ.
Old 11-16-02, 10:08 PM   #10
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

I would hope the pollsters would be fair to Michigan if they beat Ohio State. They would then finish ahead of OSU in the Big 10, and their two losses would be to the real Big 10 champ and Notre Dame (a likely BCS team), two teams that Ohio State didn't face. On top of that, they would have won head-to-head and had the same record against all common opponents. Oh, and a better strength of schedule. The 2 in the L column would hurt them, but we've seen at large Florida teams with 2 losses many times. If they beat Ohio State, I think they deserve it.

das

Old 11-16-02, 11:04 PM   #11
John Sy
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One question...if Ohio State and Iowa both win out (Iowa already has, as a matter of fact) and since they didn't play each other, who comes out Big Ten champ?

Oh wait...Ohio State would then be undefeated and Iowa would have one loss (against Iowa State) so OSU would be champion.
Old 11-16-02, 11:21 PM   #12
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth John Sy
One question...if Ohio State and Iowa both win out (Iowa already has, as a matter of fact) and since they didn't play each other, who comes out Big Ten champ?

Oh wait...Ohio State would then be undefeated and Iowa would have one loss (against Iowa State) so OSU would be champion.

Yeah - in the Big 10, overall record is the second tie-breaker (after head-to-head) when both teams have the same win-percentage in the conference.

das

Old 11-17-02, 12:46 AM   #13
davidlynchfan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't be forgetting about the Colorado Buffs who could easily replace Oklahoma in the BCS since they've already clinch the Big 12 North and are already in the Big 12 Championship game and
could get their revenge against the Sooners.

Ohio St. vs. Michigan should be a Big Game next Week,
If the Buckeyes Choke-they will probably get the Citrus Bowl!
a big drop-off between the Championship Fiesta and the Citrus

Last edited by davidlynchfan; 11-17-02 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 01:42 AM   #14
mnguye10
DVD Talk Special Edition

If U$C beats Notre Dame, they'll move into the top 6 in BCS or so, leapfrogging the Irish. So watch out for those Pac-10 teams.
Old 11-17-02, 01:56 AM   #15
The Zizz

Quote:
Originally posted by das Monkey
Actually, all it takes is Pitt beating Miami, Michigan beating Ohio State, Tech over OU (and then Colorado), and LSU over UGA.

I made the difficult assumption that Michigan would get an at large spot, in part because it would be the Rose choosing and because they would only have losses to two other BCS teams. More likely, though, they would take Notre Dame and Miami and avoid the rematch. Of course, this is all in my fantasy psychosis, so they would just as easily take the North Pluto Fighting Animal Crackers.

das
Notre Dame would also need to lose to USC; Iowa is behind them in the BCS rankings. They trail Notre Dame by over a point. Miami would likely need to lose twice to fall behind Iowa. Also, there's no way Iowa and Washington State could appear in the fiesta bowl. If Ohio state loses, and washington state wins out, Ohio state might still finish ahead of Iowa in the BCS, because Wash State would move up to #2 in the BCS, giving ohio state a 0.9 quality win bonus...depends on what ended up happening to all of them in the polls / computer rankings.

How about the scenario needed for Notre Dame to make the Fiesta bowl?
ND beats Rutgers and USC. (If Notre Dame beat USC on the road, and USC is ranked 6th or 7th at the time, ND just might be able to move up in human and computer rankings)
Oklahoma loses to Texas Tech or Colorado (Possible)
Washington State loses to Washington (Possible)
Ohio State loses to Michigan (Possible), and falls enough in the polls and computer rankings for Notre Dame to move ahead of them (possible, plus they lose a lot of win quality points if washington state loses)

This alone could be enough, although it's admittedly a thousand-to-one shot. ND in the current bcs is only slightly behind georgia. If Michigan were to beat Ohio state, they'd move up and give ND some quality of win points. If FSU wins out, they'll hit top ten. (11th now) USC might even stay in the top 10 after a loss to ND, depending on how everything else worked out. Georgia currently leads ND by 2 in the human polls, and less than 1 in the BCS rankings, so if the above scenario happened, and they both moved up in the polls, ND would only be 1 behind GA instead of 2, and would jump ahead of Georgia. Of course, Georgia could also lose and that'd be fine with me.

So, there you have it, the path for ND to make the fiesta bowl even with miami not losing. The biggest problem would be if OSU loses but doesn't take enough of a hit in the polls, which could be problematic. If that were the case, then ND would need Miami to lose 2 games, which isn't too likely (Because I'd guess Miami with one loss would still stay ahead of ND)

Not very likely, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Last edited by The Zizz; 11-17-02 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 02:11 AM   #16
The Zizz

Even if USC beats Notre Dame, Notre Dame might still get an at large birth over them. Both teams would have 2 losses, and their rankings wouldn't be so far apart that a bowl would get killed for going with ND. Notre Dame is a million times more appealing the the sugar bowl or orange bowl than USC. But it doesn't matter, because the irish are going to find a way to win out there. USC doesn't get an automatic birth by being in the bcs top 6, btw; they'd have to be 3 or 4, I think, since wash st. is already getting a bid from their conference, and that wouldn't happen unless all the 1 loss teams lost.
Old 11-17-02, 02:17 AM   #17
mnguye10
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by The Zizz
Even if USC beats Notre Dame, Notre Dame might still get an at large birth over them. Both teams would have 2 losses, and their rankings wouldn't be so far apart that a bowl would get killed for going with ND. Notre Dame is a million times more appealing the the sugar bowl or orange bowl than USC. But it doesn't matter, because the irish are going to find a way to win out there. USC doesn't get an automatic birth by being in the bcs top 6, btw; they'd have to be 3 or 4, I think, since wash st. is already getting a bid from their conference, and that wouldn't happen unless all the 1 loss teams lost.
One thing that might be advantageous for USC though, is if Washington State moves into the Fiesta Bowl. The Rose Bowl has strong Pac-10 ties so they'd prefer to have a Pac-10 team in there. If U$C is up there in the BCS, they could favor them...
Old 11-17-02, 02:17 AM   #18
davidlynchfan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
If Ohio state loses, and washington state wins out, Ohio state might still finish ahead of Iowa in the BCS
If Ohio State loses to Michigan-it's automatically CITRUS for them
regardless of BCS points!

Iowa would clinch the Big 10 automatically since they went
Undefeated and only losing to Iowa St. this year-Iowa St. is Big 12 and Not part of the Big 10.

Michigan would get a BCS at large as well holding a Big 10 2nd place Tie-Breaker over the Buckeyes for beating them.

If Michigan doesn't get a BCS berth for beating Ohio St.,I don't
feel the Buckeyes should.

and boy this is enough confusion for me.

Last edited by davidlynchfan; 11-17-02 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 10:20 AM   #19
The Zizz

Quote:
Originally posted by davidlynchfan
If Ohio State loses to Michigan-it's automatically CITRUS for them
regardless of BCS points!

Iowa would clinch the Big 10 automatically since they went
Undefeated and only losing to Iowa St. this year-Iowa St. is Big 12 and Not part of the Big 10.

Michigan would get a BCS at large as well holding a Big 10 2nd place Tie-Breaker over the Buckeyes for beating them.

If Michigan doesn't get a BCS berth for beating Ohio St.,I don't
feel the Buckeyes should.

and boy this is enough confusion for me.
Oh, right That's great for Iowa; I'd like to see them get the rose bowl. I don't see Michigan getting a BCS at large big, though. Ohio state could technically get a bcs bowl game if they somehow remained 3 in the BCS, couldn't they? People were saying that if texas was 3 in the BCS, they got an automatic BCS bid, even if they didn't win their conference.
Old 11-17-02, 01:47 PM   #20
Terrell
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Orange: Florida St. vs. Georgia
Actually, that can't happen. Whether it's Georgia or not, the SEC champ automatically goes to the Sugar Bowl. And FSU doesn't belong within 10 miles of a BCS bowl. But I guess you can get to one if you play in the crappy ass ACC. FSU isn't that great with 3 losses, but they can still win the ACC. Go figure.
Old 11-17-02, 02:28 PM   #21
davidlynchfan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I don't see Michigan getting a BCS at large big, though. Ohio state could technically get a bcs bowl game if they somehow remained 3 in the BCS, couldn't they?
Yeah,I guess you're right--after realistically thinking about it,
Ohio St. will still wind up in a BCS at large even if they lose
to Michigan and Michigan will end up in the Citrus Bowl
regardless,should be interesting to see what the BCS commitee
does about this one---shall Ohio St. lose.

Last edited by davidlynchfan; 11-17-02 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 02:36 PM   #22
davidlynchfan
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Terrell
Actually, that can't happen. Whether it's Georgia or not, the SEC champ automatically goes to the Sugar Bowl. And FSU doesn't belong within 10 miles of a BCS bowl. But I guess you can get to one if you play in the crappy ass ACC. FSU isn't that great with 3 losses, but they can still win the ACC. Go figure.
Yeah,I guess Toad had the more proper set-up
with that match-up being in the Sugar.
Old 11-17-02, 02:49 PM   #23
nchhabra
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Terrell
if uga doesnt win the sec, that would mean a three or more loss team would be representing the sec in the bcs. same thing as last year, when a three loss sec champ (lsu) went out and smoked illinois. so just because they have three losses it doesnt mean they wont do well. do they deserve to be there? i dont know. the requirement to be guaranteed a spot is to win your conference and they did that, so they deserve the credit, regardless if the acc is a weak conference. even tho i hate fsu, they did what they needed to do to get in the bcs.
Old 11-17-02, 03:16 PM   #24
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

I hate the cheaters from F$U as much as (that's a lie ... MORE than) the next guy, but cut them a little slack.

They have the second most difficult schedule in the country, and their only losses are the last second to Miami, a pounding from Notre Dame, and the OT loss to Louisville that was played in a freakin' monsoon. Meanwhile, they've ripped apart the ACC as usual, including brutal beatings handed out to the 2nd and 3rd place teams. If the do end up representing the ACC in the BCS (a virtual certainty unless they lose out bad and drop so far Maryland gets their spot), they won't be undeserving. That being said, I wish them all the worst for this season and every season to come.

das

Old 11-17-02, 09:21 PM   #25
The Zizz

Quote:
Originally posted by davidlynchfan
Yeah,I guess you're right--after realistically thinking about it,
Ohio St. will still wind up in a BCS at large even if they lose
to Michigan and Michigan will end up in the Citrus Bowl
regardless,should be interesting to see what the BCS commitee
does about this one---shall Ohio St. lose.
Actually, I think that if Ohio State loses, there's a good chance that neither ohio state or michigan gets a bcs bid, still putting ohio state in the unfortunately renamed capital one bowl (citrus)
Sponsored Links