Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-29-02, 05:16 PM   #1
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's Happened to Football?

I've worked weekends for many years until recently. I usually listen to the games while working. I took a new job that gave me weekends off which excited me because I've always been a football fan (NFL). What the heck has happened?! This weekend I saw so many mistakes I lost count. Not just players and coaches, but the officials, and announcers as well. I saw non-holds called holding. I saw holding not called. I saw balls mis-spotted by the official. Monday night I saw an obvious catch made by a Giant reciever get reversed through instant replay (???!!!). No one seems to care. The quallity of the game is not the same. Also, rivalries matter less because players travel from team to team. Maybe its just me.
Old 10-29-02, 05:37 PM   #2
immortal_zeus
DVD Talk Legend

Well, regarding your first concern: players and officials are human. They're prone to make mistakes. That's why they have instant replay and coach's challenges...to cut down on those mistakes.

Regarding your concern about players switching teams....that's because of a little thing called free agency. The NFL now has parity because of it....more so than any other professional sport.

You broke out--let me see if I can get this straight--you went down the incinerator chute, on the mine car, through the tunnels to the power plant, under the steam engine--that was really cool, by the way--and into the cistern through the intake pipe, but how, in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE, did you get out of your cell? I only ask because in our current situation, well, it could prove to be useful information, MAYBE!
Old 10-29-02, 07:16 PM   #3
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding "parity": Yeah, every team sucks.

Regarding "everybody makes mistakes": Lately there have been far too many. I think it may be a case of too many rules - can't catch em all. And some are way too ambiguous.
Old 10-30-02, 06:26 AM   #4
immortal_zeus
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by parrotheads4
Regarding "parity": Yeah, every team sucks.

Regarding "everybody makes mistakes": Lately there have been far too many. I think it may be a case of too many rules - can't catch em all. And some are way too ambiguous.
I wouldn't say every team sucks. I love the parity in the NFL...it makes every game exciting because you just never know who's going to win. Also, you won't see the sport dominated by one franchise who is willing to pay top dollar for all the good talent (the Yankees). Or you won't necessarily see the two best players in the game on the same team who are virtual locks every year to win the title as long as they're together (the Lakers).

I'm not sure that there are too many rules, but lately some of them have been put into question. Lots of people here don't like some of the rules that the NFL has. Personally, I think most NFL officials are doing a decent job. I also think that the game has been vastly improved with the addition of instant replay and the coach's challenge.

I would guess that out of the NBA, MLB, and NFL, most people would say that the NFL is the best run league of the 3. Well, maybe I shouldn't speak for everybody else, but I personally feel that way.

You broke out--let me see if I can get this straight--you went down the incinerator chute, on the mine car, through the tunnels to the power plant, under the steam engine--that was really cool, by the way--and into the cistern through the intake pipe, but how, in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE, did you get out of your cell? I only ask because in our current situation, well, it could prove to be useful information, MAYBE!
Old 10-30-02, 06:37 AM   #5
twikoff
DVD Talk God

sounds like you got spoiled by listening to games, and forgot what they look like
nothing major has changed
Old 10-30-02, 07:52 AM   #6
Three Day Delay
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The game has changed. The "protection" rules have just gotten downright silly. A player has to read into the future before making a tackle.

The TV timeouts, especiually in person, completely shut down the momentum of the ball game and the crowd excitement.

The players are more detached from their teams.

There is no consistently strong team, and no chance of it happening any time soon.

Officiating, in general, is horrible. I simply don't understand what these guys are doing.

The announcers are all trying to be the next John Madden, and the first one isn't much to speak of.

"The Show" is more important than the game.

Joe fan can't afford a ticket.

blah, blah, blah, blah....I find it very tough to watch these days.
Old 10-30-02, 08:21 AM   #7
kneijst1
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Zeus. Among the top three(NBA, NFL, MLB), the NFL is the best run of the three. When someone gets caught using steriods, they get suspended. They don't get a pat on the back like Sosa/McGuire/etc. Also, I think the NFL doesn't get hit as bad in the free agency market as the NBA does. Both have "tight" salary caps(as opposed to MLB), but I think the NBA players are more likely to switch around, but maybe that's just me.

After typing this. I realize that the MLB is basically a joke. I have nothing against baseball, but now I realize why I didn't watch a single game this year. Heck, I'd rather watch hockey any day than pro baseball.

Back on subject, I think the rules are changing right with the game, which is a good thing but a hard thing for the casual fan to keep up with. Like the spearing with helmet rules is new, but only because players realized that's a good way to make a big hit, kinda like the clothesline was back in the day. Either way, I love watchin the NFL and appreciate how it keeps up with the times.
Old 10-30-02, 11:43 AM   #8
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I love the parity in the NFL...it makes every game exciting because you just never know who's going to win. "

You must really get excited about the coin toss!
Old 10-30-02, 11:59 AM   #9
immortal_zeus
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
"I love the parity in the NFL...it makes every game exciting because you just never know who's going to win. "

You must really get excited about the coin toss!
Um, yeah.

If you're so dissatisfied with it, quit watching it and go back to the radio.

Old 10-30-02, 12:05 PM   #10
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Re: What's Happened to Football?

Quote:
Monday night I saw an obvious catch made by a Giant reciever get reversed through instant replay (???!!!). No one seems to care. The quallity of the game is not the same.

Please don't judge the NFL based on that Monday Night game. That was probably one of the most blah games (with the exception of a few McNabb runs) of the season.

Here is another for parity. Any team, with the exception the of the Bengals , can go into a season with a chance to make the playoffs.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-30-02, 12:06 PM   #11
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_zeus

I would guess that out of the NBA, MLB, and NFL, most people would say that the NFL is the best run league of the 3. Well, maybe I shouldn't speak for everybody else, but I personally feel that way.

No sane person could say that the NBA or MLB is better run than the NFL, that's for certain.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 10-30-02, 04:51 PM   #12
DVDHO
DVD Talk Special Edition

NFL is better now then any time before it,who ever thought that the Rams,Ravens and the Pats would win the last 3 SB?No one thats what makes it great because every team has a chance to go to the SB the way it has been playing out unlike the NBA, Lakers or Kings pick one because one of these 2 teams will win it this year you cant say that about football there is just to many good teams,I love the NFL the way it is.
Old 10-30-02, 05:08 PM   #13
TruGator
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're a fan of the NFL, no wonder you're bored. It's all about college football!
Old 10-30-02, 06:31 PM   #14
parrotheads4
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Every team has a chance to go to the Super Bowl." You know, I just don't care. For the record I am a Giant's fan. That said, I'd rather watch two great teams like the Cowboy's (in their hayday) vs. the 49rs (Montana) than the pathetic undeserving Giants team that made it to the Super Bowl two years ago.
Here's a great NFL strategy teams should employ: lose every game this year, get a plush schedule next year. Worked for the Giants.
Old 10-30-02, 07:16 PM   #15
HistoryProf
DVD Talk Legend

except that doesn't work anymore either because they revamped the way schedules are prepared....out of conference games are now determined by divisions, with NFC North teams all playing the AFC West teams etc and the rest are done on a revolving basis.....previous records don't have any bearing anymore....which is all a very good idea as far as i'm concerned.

I think the NFL is just fine as it is, and WAY better than the NBA and MLB. Officiating does seem off, but i would imagine you can, and people do, say that every year. That reversal in the Giants game was indeed atrocious, but hey, it happens and it's better than no replay at all.....
Pavel Datsyuk on his coach saying he gives teammates extra room on the ice: "I think he meant that I am really small," Datsyuk explained. "So when I, a small slim person, am on the ice, there is more room for bigger guys. Maybe he said that to cheer me up that I look skinny!"
Old 10-30-02, 08:26 PM   #16
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

NFL instituted the 4th down and 30 = long pass = most likely pass interferance for first down rule...
Old 10-31-02, 10:02 AM   #17
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by bgills
previous records don't have any bearing anymore....which is all a very good idea as far as i'm concerned.

Almost correct. Previous record does determine who 2 of your opponents are. The rest are predetermined.
- Josh Hinkle