Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Should Pete Rose Be In The Hall Of Fame?
Yes, His stats are amazing 106 59.89%
Yes, if he admits and/or apologizes 14 7.91%
No, his actions are inexcusable 52 29.38%
only if he takes twikoff with him 5 2.82%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-02, 12:32 PM   #26
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog

Fay Vincent accepts the report as well, as he should, given how compelling the evidence is. That is 3 commissioners (morons included) who believe Pete is guilty.
so your saying we need to wait until we have a commissioner that isnt a moron, before the correct action is taken?

btw.. I dont think pete should be accepted as a manager, I think he should be accepted as a player.. those are two seperate entities as far as Im concerned.. at what point can you no longer tarnish your reputation?
if a current hall of famer was caught betting on baseball tomorrow.. should he be tossed out?
Old 05-14-02, 12:34 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by twikoff

if a current hall of famer was caught betting on baseball tomorrow.. should he be tossed out?
Yes.

Rose has the same chances as Joe Jackson....and that will never, ever happen.
Old 05-14-02, 12:35 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I think betting on your own team to win can be a good motivational tool. I don't see anything at all wrong with it. What are you going to do, play harder, manage smarter?
Old 05-14-02, 12:40 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

the funny thing is..

every poll I have ever seen on this subject in the past.. has been really close, and always in favor of pete making the HOF.

and polls that are not conducted of primarily sports fans, seem to be even more in favor of pete

so despite any evidence.. and any arguement.. there is at least as much support for him to be in, as out..

too bad the public doesnt get to vote on this.. the public want him in, the hall of fame wants him in.. the commissioner of baseball doesnt want him in.. but I guess there is only one voice that matters.
Old 05-14-02, 12:41 PM   #30
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyCapps
I think betting on your own team to win can be a good motivational tool. I don't see anything at all wrong with it. What are you going to do, play harder, manage smarter?
true

you know.. the braves pitchers have a bet, on who has the best batting average at the end of each season.. maybe they should be tossed too, because thats motivating them

anyone really think pete would have bet against his own team.. if in fact he ever did bet on baseball?
Old 05-14-02, 12:43 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Twik,

What would your feelings be if you found out that Tyler Watts gambled on college football, Bama games in particular?
Old 05-14-02, 12:44 PM   #32
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Twik,

What would your feelings be if you found out that Tyler Watts gambled on college football, Bama games in particular?
I would be tickled pink!

that would mean that he either lost his money because he bet on them to win

or that he bet against them, and helped them lose

either way, its a win win situation
Old 05-14-02, 12:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

anyone really think pete would have bet against his own team.. if in fact he ever did bet on baseball?
No. Which is why it blows my mind that he's still not in the Hall of Fame. Shoeless Joe accepted money to throw a game, he didn't bet that his team would win games. I bet Wood would be happy if the Cubs offense would start betting on the team to win. Maybe it would motivate them to play.
Old 05-14-02, 12:50 PM   #34
DVD Talk God

you know.. some players get salary bonuses for hitting certain stats

maybe these players should be banned as well.. thats using money as an incentive to win
Old 05-14-02, 12:53 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oswald acted alone.
Old 05-14-02, 12:55 PM   #36
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyCapps

Sorry, I strongly disagree. Consider the following scenario. A team is trailing at home by 3 runs going into the 8th. Let's say the manager has bet on his team for that game. In an effort to prevent the deficit from growing in the 8th or 9th innings, he brings in his stud closer even though this would never happen under normal circumstances. Now his stud closer pitches 2 perfect innings, but now because of the heavy work, he is unavailable to pitch in the next game, which the manager does not have a bet on.

It effects game-to-game strategy, unless you bet the same amount of money on every single game. There is no doubt about it.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-14-02, 01:01 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Sorry, I strongly disagree. Consider the following scenario. A team is trailing at home by 3 runs going into the 8th. Let's say the manager has bet on his team for that game. In an effort to prevent the deficit from growing in the 8th or 9th innings, he brings in his stud closer even though this would never happen under normal circumstances. Now his stud closer pitches 2 perfect innings, but now because of the heavy work, he is unavailable to pitch in the next game, which the manager does not have a bet on.

It effects game-to-game strategy, unless you bet the same amount of money on every single game. There is no doubt about it.
That's a very good point. Your team is losing by a run or two, but you're still within the spread. So you send in your closer early to try to ensure that the other team doesn't cover the spread. Even if you went with a straight win bet, you might make decisions without worrying about the future consequences.
Old 05-14-02, 01:11 PM   #38
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rose should be in without a doubt. Having seen him play and
many others, there are/were few that played with that
much intensity and love of the game.
Old 05-14-02, 01:47 PM   #39
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fergie Jenkins was arrested in the Wrigley Field locker room for cocaine possession and he went to the hall a few years ago.

Pete should go.

Let's make a deal, you don't crap in my thread, and I won't crap in yours!
Old 05-14-02, 01:51 PM   #40
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Jordan gambling on golf, not basketball. Big difference.
So Jordan sitting at Atlantic City til 2-3am the night before playoff games is because he is betting on golf? He's calling his bookie to bet on golf? Get real.
Old 05-14-02, 01:52 PM   #41
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Flashback
exactly..

show me anyone that has ever had such a love for the game.. someone that gave 100% every minute he was out on the field
whether in the field.. in the batters box.. running the bases.. and crashing into the catcher at home..
Ive never seen anyone put that much intensity into the game
if his crime is that he hurt the integrity of baseball, then people should keep in mind that in his playing days, he defined what a baseball player should be
Old 05-14-02, 01:57 PM   #42
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Flashback

If he loved the game so much, why the need to bet on it? The thrill of playing and managing should have been enough.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-14-02, 01:59 PM   #43
DVD Talk God

Quote:

If he loved the game so much, why the need to bet on it? The thrill of playing and managing should have been enough.
how many players and managers are friends with each other
and when their teams play each other, they make bets on the outcome..

if your team wins, you buy dinner..

might as well toss all of them out of the game as well.
Old 05-14-02, 02:02 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by vdadlani219

So Jordan sitting at Atlantic City til 2-3am the night before playoff games is because he is betting on golf? He's calling his bookie to bet on golf? Get real.
Gambling is legal in Atlantic City.

Show me any evidence that Jordan gambled on basketball. "Get real"- speak to yourself.
Old 05-14-02, 02:03 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Old 05-14-02, 02:03 PM   #46
DVD Talk God

Quote:

None I hope, but nevertheless, betting a dinner on a single game is a little different than betting $2000 on a single game.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 05-14-02, 02:16 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pure and simple...both Pete Rose and Joe Jackson should be in the Hall of Fame given their stats as a player. Joe will be forever mired in the fact that he gave into peer pressure to take the money, but many do not believe he threw the games that the other 8 did on the field. Joe made a dumb mistake by taking the money and it is sad he will never be in the Hall of Fame.

For Pete it is a travesty that he is not in the Hall of Fame based on his statistics alone, which is EXACTLY how players are chosen for the HoF. It is on statistics alone, not extracurricular activites like snorting a line of cocaine, killing a spouse or even betting on the game they played for that gets players into the HoF. Rose was past his playing days when he bet (or supposedly bet) on his own team, it should NOT affect how his stance is as a player. Those with more knowledge can probably tell me what percentage of the baseball writers would vote Rose in if he was eligible, but I doubt he would have any problem getting the percentage he needs. Why is that? Because the Baseball writers (unlike the other major sports writers that vote on their own sports) vote statistics first and not on the way a person is. If they voted via the latter, such players as Barry Bonds would never see their name in the HoF. It does not take being a decent human being to get into the Hall...it just takes stats. Rose has the stats easily...he even is the #1 player in the stat that seems to guarantee an HoF berth (3000 hits...Rose has over 4200).

Well, I think I've said enough. This topic is much like abortion...you have hard-line people on both sides of the argument

Last edited by AgtFox; 05-14-02 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 02:20 PM   #48
DVD Talk God

Quote:

None I hope
i cant remember which player it was.. but mtv was doing weekly profiles where they follow around a player for a day (or several days, whichever it was).. and the guy they were following one week was getting ready for a game, and he had old college friends on the opposing team.. the guy from the other team came over and hung out at his house before the game, and they watched tv and stuff, and they mentioned the fact that the player from the losing team pays for dinner. I think this is a pretty common practice for players that have friends on opposing teams.
of course its not the same magnitude, but if pete rose's situation is zero tolerance, then there is a pretty wide range on that zero
Old 05-14-02, 02:23 PM   #49
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by AgtFox
killing a spouse
you mean OJ isnt going to be tossed out of the NFL HOF?
Old 05-14-02, 02:24 PM   #50
DVD Talk God

Quote:

Oswald acted alone.
well damn, now your assuming that pete was hiding in the grassy knoll?