Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Should Pete Rose Be In The Hall Of Fame?
Yes, His stats are amazing 106 59.89%
Yes, if he admits and/or apologizes 14 7.91%
No, his actions are inexcusable 52 29.38%
only if he takes twikoff with him 5 2.82%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-15, 02:37 PM   #276
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Should Pete Rose Be In The Hall Of Fame?

What does it matter if Rose still bets on baseball today? After all, MLB is proudly sponsored by DraftKings, so what the fuck do they care if Rose is betting. Again, ban him from being part of the game, like a manager, coach, office personnel, etc., but don't ban Rose from baseball completely. Let him be part of the HOF is he's elected, let him be part of team events and signings. These people in MLB act like they are saints.
Old 12-14-15, 02:38 PM   #277
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does this also extend to being in the studio in the MLB playoffs? That would be great, because he was unbearable...

"I think I misworded that wrong." -conscience
Old 12-14-15, 02:48 PM   #278
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
What does it matter if Rose still bets on baseball today? After all, MLB is proudly sponsored by DraftKings, so what the fuck do they care if Rose is betting. Again, ban him from being part of the game, like a manager, coach, office personnel, etc., but don't ban Rose from baseball completely. Let him be part of the HOF is he's elected, let him be part of team events and signings. These people in MLB act like they are saints.
Hall of Fame is separate. MLB does not control the HoF and in fact there was no provision excluding banned players at the time of Rose's banishment. Manfred couldn't change that part of things even if he wanted to (and I don't think he wants to anyways).

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 12-14-15, 03:17 PM   #279
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Hall of Fame is separate. MLB does not control the HoF and in fact there was no provision excluding banned players at the time of Rose's banishment. Manfred couldn't change that part of things even if he wanted to (and I don't think he wants to anyways).
That's not accurate, particularly as it plays out. Yes, it's a different organization, but it's the same bunch in control. It's basically one chummy club as the ERA Committee voters (used to be the Veteran's Committee) are elected by the HOF Board of Directors, which include Rob Manfred and other baseball owners and executives and cronies. So, no way Rose gets voted in even if Manfred were to say that he is eligible as the HOF Board of Directors still control the voter pool.

source: http://baseballhall.org/museum/board-of-directors

Last edited by ctyankee; 12-14-15 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 03:27 PM   #280
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
That's not accurate, particularly as it plays out. Yes, it's a different organization, but it's the same bunch in control. It's basically one chummy club as the ERA Committee voters (used to be the Veteran's Committee) are elected by the HOF Board of Directors, which include Rob Manfred and other baseball owners and executives and cronies. So, no way Rose gets voted in even if Manfred were to say that he is eligible as the HOF Board of Directors still control the voter pool.

source: http://baseballhall.org/museum/board-of-directors
This. That's why Rose and Shoeless Joe are not in the Hall of Fame.
Old 12-14-15, 05:50 PM   #281
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Here's an interesting nugget from commissioner Rob Manfred's report on upholding Pete Rose's permanent ban from baseball: Rose initially lied to the commissioner only to later "clarify" that he does, in fact, still bet on baseball.

The pertinent part of the five-page press release here is as follows:
Quote:
"During our meeting, Mr. Rose told me that he has continued to bet on horse racing and on professional sports, including baseball. Those bets may have been permitted by law in the jurisdictions in which they were placed, but this fact does not mean that the bets would be permissable if made by a player or manager subject to Rule 21."
There's a footnote, too, which includes one of the most damning facts about Rose's case.
Quote:
"Even more troubling, in our interview, Rose initially denied betting on baseball currently and only later in the interview did he 'clarify' his response to admit such betting."
So he lied. Again.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...l-other-sports

what an idiot.
Old 12-14-15, 06:31 PM   #282
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

I agree with this 100% ... put him in the HOF, address the gambling issue in the display.

Keep him out of the game itself, minus some occasional ceremonies --team anniversaries, all time great teams, etc .. like they have already been doing
Old 12-14-15, 08:06 PM   #283
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What does it matter if Rose still bets on baseball today?
Imagine you have a job. One of the rules of the job says that if you show up at work drunk, you'll get fired. That rule is posted clearly on the walls. Of all the rules your work has, that's the ONLY rule that's posted clearly on the walls.

You show up at work drunk. You get fired.

You want your job back. During your "interview" to see if you can get re-hired, your boss asks you "so, do you still drink?"

Possible answers you could give:

"Yes"
"No"
"What the fuck does it matter if I still drink?"

Which answer do you think would be best to bring up in your interview?
Old 12-14-15, 09:57 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Imagine you have a job. One of the rules of the job says that if you show up at work drunk, you'll get fired. That rule is posted clearly on the walls. Of all the rules your work has, that's the ONLY rule that's posted clearly on the walls.

You want your job back. During your "interview" to see if you can get re-hired, your boss asks you "so, do you still drink?"

"Yes"
"No"

Or if it's Pete 'You know I'm lying if you see my lips move' Rose, the response is "No" ... followed much later in the interview by ... "I'd like to amend my earlier statement" ...
Old 12-14-15, 10:29 PM   #285
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

"Yes"
"No"

This analogy doesn't work for the simple reason that Rose is not asking for his job back, just asking for reinstatement in baseball so he can be eligible for the HOF. The problem I have with all of this is that MLB is treating this as he was asking to get his job back.

Rose is an asshole, a compulsive liar and tons of other things. I agree that he shouldn't be anywhere near a baseball field in any capacity other than as part of a ceremony or something where he is clearly not earning any money from any of the 30 teams or MLB itself. But this ban on him (and Shoeless Joe) is complete bullshit because it prevents both of them from joining the Hall of Fame. Rose should be partially reinstated just so he can be eligible. That's it. Shoeless Joe on the other hand should be posthumously reinstated fully to MLB. There is enough evidence that he wasn't part of throwing away the World Series at all, and the fact that he isn't in the Hall is a complete shame. Either have baseball partially reinstate Rose or the Hall of Fame committee needs to change their eligibility rules to include someone like Rose who is banned from the sport.
Old 12-15-15, 06:02 AM   #286
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a shame the Hall of Fame made the Pete Rose rule in 1991 (they didn't call it that), but it said that anyone was banned could not be on the ballot. I was a huge Pete Rose fan growing up, but still believe he should be banned for life. But I also believe he should have been on the ballot in 1992 as he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

That would have been the ultimate compromise as most people don't care if he is back in baseball, but many believe he belongs in the Hall of Fame. It's a shame we have to revisit this silly issue every year, as I think Rose knows he isn't getting back into Baseball and that is why he is acting like he does now. Just look at him on the Fox Pregame as he is getting like Mike Tyson where he is a caricature of himself now. In a sense, Pete Rose probably makes more money off the fact that he isn't in the Hall of Fame.
Old 12-15-15, 08:51 AM   #287
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Shoeless Joe on the other hand should be posthumously reinstated fully to MLB. There is enough evidence that he wasn't part of throwing away the World Series at all
He took money from gamblers. I don't care if he was actively trying to lose games on purpose or just "stealing" money from gamblers. Once he agreed to take the money, he was part of the conspiracy.
Old 12-15-15, 09:00 AM   #288
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would be fine with the HoF adjusting their rules to allow Pete in if they also put on his plaque what he did to get banned, in addition to his accomplishments. MLB should never let him back in though.

"I think I misworded that wrong." -conscience
Old 12-15-15, 01:18 PM   #289
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
This analogy doesn't work for the simple reason that Rose is not asking for his job back, just asking for reinstatement in baseball so he can be eligible for the HOF. The problem I have with all of this is that MLB is treating this as he was asking to get his job back.

Rose is an asshole, a compulsive liar and tons of other things. I agree that he shouldn't be anywhere near a baseball field in any capacity other than as part of a ceremony or something where he is clearly not earning any money from any of the 30 teams or MLB itself. But this ban on him (and Shoeless Joe) is complete bullshit because it prevents both of them from joining the Hall of Fame. Rose should be partially reinstated just so he can be eligible. That's it. Shoeless Joe on the other hand should be posthumously reinstated fully to MLB. There is enough evidence that he wasn't part of throwing away the World Series at all, and the fact that he isn't in the Hall is a complete shame. Either have baseball partially reinstate Rose or the Hall of Fame committee needs to change their eligibility rules to include someone like Rose who is banned from the sport.
He is, in essence, asking for his job back. If he is reinstated, he could be hired by any club. And even as a broadcaster, he would have access to inside info re gambling.

Look, even if they reinstated him for limited purposes (not sure that is possible, but sure, let's give it to him), and let him on the ballot, he still has to be voted into the HoF. And I doubt the voters would do so anyway.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 08-31-17, 08:31 PM   #290
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pete Rose was fired from FoxSports for alleged sexual misconduct with an underaged minor in the 1970s. opps
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/report-pete-rose-fox-sports-aftermath-underage-sex-allegations-192745012.html
Old 09-01-17, 02:15 PM   #291
DVD Talk Legend

Pete was a lot of fun as a guest broadcaster on Fox.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-03-17, 03:51 PM   #292
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
Pete Rose was fired from FoxSports for alleged sexual misconduct with an underaged minor in the 1970s. opps
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/report-pete-rose-fox-sports-aftermath-underage-sex-allegations-192745012.html
This is all came out a week before he was supposed to be inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame in mid August. They cancelled the ceremony as Rose bowed out to take pressure off them. They eventually had to refund any ticket for that game because many fans bought it for that reason alone.

It's a shame cause Rose is his own worst enemy. I still think he belongs in the Hall of Fame because 4,256 hits overrides that the guy is an asshole. I always thought the perfect compromise was to put him on the ballot but keep him banned for life. They created the Pete Rose rule in 1991 (he was to be eligible in 1992) and that's what started this whole debate for the past 25 years. Most fans like me want him in the HOF, but could care less if he manages again.
Old 09-03-17, 04:00 PM   #293
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

As more information comes out, I'm leaning towards keeping the ban and never mentioning the piece of crap's name again. Some sins do overshadow any "good" one has.
Old 09-03-17, 04:12 PM   #294
DVD Talk Hero

I think Pete should satisfy himself with his stats and records and just accept that he will probably never work in or be recognized by baseball again.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-03-17, 04:52 PM   #295
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
As more information comes out, I'm leaning towards keeping the ban and never mentioning the piece of crap's name again. Some sins do overshadow any "good" one has.
I disagree. Should you take OJ Simpson out of the NFL Hall of Fame? I just don't go down the road of judging athletes when it comes to the Hall of Fame because I think there's a lot of hypocrisy. Bobby Cox beat the crap out of his wife, yet no one had a problem with him being elected to the HOF. It's a slippery slope when you start judging these guys cause many of them are flawed.
Old 09-03-17, 04:58 PM   #296
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I think Pete should satisfy himself with his stats and records and just accept that he will probably never work in or be recognized by baseball again.
He will, but he'll be dead first.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 09-03-17, 05:08 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I disagree. Should you take OJ Simpson out of the NFL Hall of Fame? I just don't go down the road of judging athletes when it comes to the Hall of Fame because I think there's a lot of hypocrisy. Bobby Cox beat the crap out of his wife, yet no one had a problem with him being elected to the HOF. It's a slippery slope when you start judging these guys cause many of them are flawed.
The difference is Pete Rose broke the rules of Baseball and is being banned because of it. Simpson's and Cox's crimes were not connected to their sprots careers.
Old 09-03-17, 05:12 PM   #298
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
The difference is Pete Rose broke the rules of Baseball and is being banned because of it. Simpson's and Cox's crimes were not connected to their sprots careers.
He was proven to broken the rules as a manager, not a player, The Dowd Report evidence is betting slips from 1987 where he retired and was only coaching.

Again, Ban him for life from Managing and betting in 1987, but what does that have to do with his playing career from 1963-86?

And for what it's worth, Cox beat up his wife when he was Manager of the Braves.
Old 09-05-17, 02:07 PM   #299
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
The difference is Pete Rose broke the rules of Baseball and is being banned because of it.
Reposting this from a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Look, as has been discussed here before, when Rose accepted his lifetime ban it was with the understanding that it would only affect his eligibility to play/manage. This was because at the time of the agreement, he was still eligible for the HoF. It was only after the ban was put in place that the HoF changed their eligibility requirements to, essentially, specifically target Rose.

Dowd is correct, but it's a non sequitur, because Rose certainly isn't looking to play/manage in the Majors. No player who had ever been banished had their HoF eligibility removed before either. No player before Rose lost more after his banishment than during the banishment act itself, so of course there's been no precedent for anyone seeking reinstatement.

Y'all know that I had been a Rose supporter, and the info that came out of ESPN this spring pretty much shot down that support. But I'm still of the opinion that changing the eligibility rules to specifically target one unpopular but amazingly talented player was unfair. In a certain sense, at least to me, that act tarnished the Hall more than Pete Rose's shadow ever could.
Rose's ban was from baseball - playing, managing, attending, promoting, etc. He was prohibited from having any future involvement, but Pete was not banned from being honored for his past accomplishments. The HOF did that by unilaterally changing their rules to target him right before his name was to appear on the ballot. The lifetime ban was what he an Giamatti agreed to.... the HOF denial was dog-piling and was never a part of the deal.