Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Old 09-23-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Originally Posted by Groucho
The problem is finding one on Christmas morning when the kids are excited the play and all the stores are closed...
Use the one from your phone? Or their phone? Or the significant other's phone? Maybe my household is odd, but I can find a half dozen USB chargers of various voltages in 30 seconds.

Last edited by Kdogg; 09-23-18 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm sure the kids of 2018 are dying to plug in and play the Playstation Classic first thing Christmas morning.
Old 09-23-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Use the one from your phone? Or their phone? Or the significant other's phone? Maybe my household is odd, but I can find a half dozen USB chargers of various voltages in 30 seconds.
I don't think a phone one would provide enough voltage to work. You probably need a big one like you get for an iPad or a Switch.
Use an AC adaptor that supports 5 V, 1.0 A USB (Type A) output
Old 09-23-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

^You mean current, but yes, that's potentially an issue.
Old 09-24-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love the internet:

"Nintendo releases a game console with the same games that they have made you pay for over and over again" I MUST HAVE IT! It looks like an NES and Nintendo has only released and re-released most of these games 100 times!

"Sony does the same thing" Eh. I can already play most of these. I see no reason to buy them again.

I honestly am looking forward to this because after sitting out the SNES the PSX is what got me back into gaming. So I am totally down and will buy this if for no other reason than to hopefully get a PS2 classic as well.

The only games I think need to be on this for sure are: Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Suikoden2 and I am drawing a blank on some others.
Old 09-24-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Seems really odd to not come with a cord needed to operate it.

I doubt Resident Evil will be on it considering that one has been "remastered" with an HD port on Steam and PSN and thus readily available.
Old 09-24-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Gotta love the internet:

"Nintendo releases a game console with the same games that they have made you pay for over and over again" I MUST HAVE IT! It looks like an NES and Nintendo has only released and re-released most of these games 100 times!

"Sony does the same thing" Eh. I can already play most of these. I see no reason to buy them again.

I honestly am looking forward to this because after sitting out the SNES the PSX is what got me back into gaming. So I am totally down and will buy this if for no other reason than to hopefully get a PS2 classic as well.

The only games I think need to be on this for sure are: Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Suikoden2 and I am drawing a blank on some others.
If they add Final Fantasy Tactics and Colony Wars, then I'm sold. Colony Wars still has some of the most immersive voice acting experience ever.

Hope they don't add any fighting or racing games. No desire to play that style of game with awful polygon graphics.
Old 09-24-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotta love the internet:

Is that what "the internet" is saying? I never understood referencing the internet as a collective entity that somehow would share the same opinion. You make it sound like just a Nintendo versus Sony brand thing, but at least in this thread there's been a few other reasons besides just "paying for the same games" that seem valid, including level of nostalgia and how early 3D games hold up.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-24-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Hope they don't add any fighting or racing games. No desire to play that style of game with awful polygon graphics.
You mean besides Ridge Racer Type 4 and Tekken 3 that we already know are included? Personally I wouldn't mind Jet Moto.
Old 09-24-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Gotta love the internet:

I have strong Nostalgia feels for NES and SNES. I moved to Playstation after SNES. I didn't own any Nintendo consoles in between the SNES and the Switch (which I got for my kids last Christmas).

I have not endlessly re-bought any of the titles (and don't really own any platform on which I could have done so), and I don't have most of the cartridges or consoles anymore (and even if I did, I couldn't hook them up via HDMI).

So it is very appealing to me to have a mini console upon which I can play those games again with good picture quality on my HDTV.

It isn't nearly the same with PS1. I loved my PS1, but I still have my games and I have a PS3 hooked to my TV with an HDMI output upon which I can still play those games. So I don't really have a use for this.

If this was a PS2 though, I would be a lot more interested, as my launch PS3 bit the dust long ago, and I don't currently have a platform where I can play those games.
Old 09-24-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

I was in GameStop this morning and they were selling AC adaptors for the Switch for $24.96. It's hard imagine why Sony would be selling PS Classic with one unless they are just anting more sales.

And you can bet they will be hard to find once the system is out. That's going to add another 25 bucks to the purchase price even if they had the same price point as Nintendo.
Old 09-24-18, 11:49 AM

Using Game Stop accessory pricing is as bad an example as you could find.

Here is a highly recommended adaptor that will work perfectly for sale from Amazon that costs $6.95.
https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Charger-Universal-Portable-Adapter/dp/B017TXGM4I?crid=1IZ14MY96DYUE&keywords=5v+1a+power+supply&qid=1537807633&sprefix=5v+1&sr=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4 https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Charger-Universal-Portable-Adapter/dp/B017TXGM4I?crid=1IZ14MY96DYUE&keywords=5v+1a+power+supply&qid=1537807633&sprefix=5v+1&sr=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4
Old 09-24-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Gotta love the internet:

I said it before but Sony has done almost too good of a job letting you play their old games. My Vita can play most of the PS1 games available digitally. I bought them some time ago, mainly via super cheap Plus sales, and I can play them on more than one platform.

Nintendo... doesn't do that. You've had to rebuy Super Mario Bros. on every version of virtual console they've put out. While it seems backwards I can understand why a lot of people are kind of meh about a PS1 release like this, and that's even before you get into nostalgia, the polygons, the fact that they've remade/re-released a ton of their top games, etc.
Old 09-24-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Here is a highly recommended adaptor that will work perfectly for sale from Amazon that costs $6.95.
https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cha...ref=mp_s_a_1_4
I would never buy one from there, I just saw it while I was shopping today.
Old 09-26-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cha...ref=mp_s_a_1_4
Thanks for posting that. I just bought one.
Old 09-26-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I said it before but Sony has done almost too good of a job letting you play their old games. My Vita can play most of the PS1 games available digitally. I bought them some time ago, mainly via super cheap Plus sales, and I can play them on more than one platform.
Another thing to consider is that the PS2 sold an industry leading 155 million units and is backwards compatible with most PS1 games.

I was going to preorder from BB but I'm going to wait for a full games list. A few popular Youtube channels threw out a theory that Sony could be planning to release another PS1 Classic next year, with a DS controller and compatible games.
Old 09-30-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
If they add Final Fantasy Tactics and Colony Wars, then I'm sold. Colony Wars still has some of the most immersive voice acting experience ever.

Oh man, I first looked into this game from the Star Control lawsuit thread. I'm hoping they include it as well. This game looks really fun!
Old 10-01-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Colony Wars seems like a forgotten franchise. They made 3 of them within 4 years, then nothing. And the last one was pretty well-received; it's not as if it burned itself out like Crash Bandicoot or pre-reboot Tomb Raider.

I guess it's just that the space combat genre (that isn't Star Wars) fell out of favor, but it's still kind of surprising they haven't tried to do another one at some point in the last 18 years.
Old 10-29-18, 07:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Full list:
Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
Old 10-29-18, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Surprised at the lack of Pandemonium, love the inclusion of Intelligent Qube.
Old 10-29-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Battle Arena Toshinden was all I wanted I’m sure it’s TERRIBLE but it was the first PS1 game I played and I have a fondness for it. I never bought the system though - my roommate and I had a “you buy one, I’ll buy the other” thing going so I went with the N64 and he did the PS1.
Old 10-29-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

With that selection this is an easy pass. Limited selection, most of which aren't what I'd want to play.

There was a huge selection of games that should have been on it.
Old 10-29-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

That's a terrible list. And, yeah, Toshinden is shit. It came with the Playstation when I bought mine.
Old 10-29-18, 08:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
love the inclusion of Intelligent Qube.
Same, as I really wasn't expecting that one. Still... I don't think this list is enough to get me to buy it.
Old 10-29-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh, the absence of nostalgic favorites FF Tactics, Gex, Jet Moto, Crash, Silent Hill (since we're dabbling in mature titles) or specifically Twisted Metal 2 has me at a pass for this. In all, it's an interesting collection of first installments in franchises, and the inclusion of Revelations: Persona is a surprise that makes this ever-so mildly tempting, but the listed games won't get my retro juices flowing enough to drop $100 on it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.