Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Oppo Calls it a Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Oppo Calls it a Day

Originally Posted by melasnus
For those looking for the latest firmware for their 203 or 205, there is a new Beta release:
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-60-0601B.aspx
The other day I was reading a thread about this beta release and some users were having issues playing certain discs.

Could be because it's beta and not fully completed.

Next time I upgrade my firmware I'm going to do it USB style because I'm afraid if my wifi connection drops I brick my player. Even though last time I upgrade wifi it was pretty quick.
Old 06-13-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh...that's strange.
Oppo's Betas have always been very dependable in the past.
Usually they are so stable the Official firmware releases are simply unchanged Betas.
Old 06-25-18, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The place I got my code free Oppos from, JVB Digital, has more stock of the 205 and 203 in- priced at $2300 and $1000, respectively.

I almost feel like I got a bargain now.
Old 06-25-18, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
And of course I have a 203... fuck.
And I don't have a 203 fuck haha

by the way i come to this forum comment and vanish, nobody replies me nobody become my friend its awful
Old 06-25-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by alexkevin
And I don't have a 203 fuck haha

by the way i come to this forum comment and vanish, nobody replies me nobody become my friend its awful
Hello there new friend commentator! What country are you from? I detect an accent in some of your posts.
Old 06-26-18, 12:19 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I just got an invitation to purchase a 205. I was holding off getting an Oppo to pair with a new 4K projector this fall, but perhaps now is the time with the limited availability.
Old 06-26-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

A 205 especially should hold most of it's value in a way few other components would. Even if the audiophile features are not something you end up making use of, there will be someone out there who would appreciate them, who missed out on the units initially.

If you decided to resell it in six months or a year, I doubt you would lose much if anything vs what you'll pay for it now. You might even make a slight profit.

BTW, the prices I quoted at JVB a few days ago just went up again. $2300 for the 205 and $1100 for the 203.

Oppo is selling the 205 direct, via invitation, for a little over $1300 with shipping.

Also- unless they go back into production again (doubtful), the 203's are history. All sold out with no more on the way.
Old 06-29-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Main firmware version released today for 203 & 205

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Firmware.aspx

Release Notes

1- Added the Dolby Vision “Player-led processing” mode for compatibility with recent Sony Dolby Vision TVs and firmware updates.
2- Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.
3- Added the “Dolby Vision Processing” setting under the HDR Setting menu. This setting allows customers to choose whether Dolby Vision processing is handled mainly by the TV or the UDP-20x player.
4- Added MQA support via the USB DAC In for the UDP-205 players. (More info can be found in the “USB DAC Firmware” section on the UDP-205 support page.)
5- Added the “Up-Sample DAC Input” setting under the Audio Processing menu for the UDP-205.
6- General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.
Old 06-30-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for that!
Old 06-30-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

My player shows that the update is available but then says it can't download it. Will have to try the USB method, but wonder what's going on. Wonder if they fixed the problems I wrote them about- squeezed VCDs and no manual setting to tell it you have a multistandard TV (Auto doesn't work, my TV tells it it doesn't support 50hz when it does!)
Old 06-30-18, 08:10 PM

Something is up with this- I tried using the USB and got the message "File is incorrect or corrupted". Did the disc image download on a CD-R, it first recognized it and said "Installing" but then gave the same error message after a few minutes.
Old 06-30-18, 09:03 PM

Found out on another forum that you have to unplug the player for a few seconds if that happens; did so and got it to work- but none of the problems I've been reporting are fixed
Old 06-30-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's safer to use USB than Wi-Fi. Ever since I read that if the connection drops you brick the player. Fuck that. That's not to say USB is 100% entirely safe but it's more secured if you ask me.
Old 07-01-18, 06:17 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
It's safer to use USB than Wi-Fi. Ever since I read that if the connection drops you brick the player. Fuck that. That's not to say USB is 100% entirely safe but it's more secured if you ask me.
I'm not familiar with how Oppo does it, but I would assume that it downloads the patch, verifies it, then installs it.

The only way hopefully that you could brick a player would be to remove power during the final installation.
Old 07-01-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Yes, the scalpers are having a heyday, and very soon now, prices will reach $10,000!

A fool and his money are easily parted.
Old 07-03-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FWIW, I installed the new firmware over the internet without a hitch.
Old 07-03-18, 05:40 PM

Found another flaw with this player- for some reason, it simply ignores any numbers entered with the remote on DVD menu screens- this makes it impossible to access the hidden section of the Independence Day DVD! I just sent them a message about this, hoping they can fix it at least in a later update.

Someone should figure out how to make custom firmware for these players, especially if Oppo stops doing updates. I have an older Pioneer player that I still keep hooked up because it has a hacked firmware which among other things ignores ALL control lock-outs programmed into discs- that means you can skip unskippable FBI warnings and such, and change audio tracks without going back to the menu even if they've locked that function out. I could get rid of that player if the Oppo could do that.
Old 07-03-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Found another flaw with this player- for some reason, it simply ignores any numbers entered with the remote on DVD menu screens- this makes it impossible to access the hidden section of the Independence Day DVD! I just sent them a message about this, hoping they can fix it at least in a later update.
I have ID4 on DVD but I don't remember the easter egg thing. I have to check it out for myself on the 203.
Old 07-04-18, 03:49 AM

Can't hit 8-9-9-7 on the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition menu either- though you can still get to the 'hidden' version of the movie by entering Title 3 since the disc didn't disable that control. Oppo told me to send them copies and they'll check it out- the BDP-93 does not have this problem.

For Independence Day, on the 2nd disc go to the menu with the computer and hit Right til the small light on the computer turns red. Hit Enter and it'll give you a cryptic message while the ship in the background starts moving. Go back to the main menu and you're supposed to enter the number 74- which would be just 7 and 4 on an Oppo player, but if you have a player with a "+10" button on the remote you'll instead have to hit that 7 times to indicate "70" and then hit 4. It'll then go to the hidden menu with some cool stuff, like being able to see the actual videos of the fake newscasts done for the movie. Title select is locked out on that disc, so the only way to get to that on the 203 right now is to put it on "Repeat All" then skip through every chapter until you get to it, which is rather tedious.
Old 07-06-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Can't hit 8-9-9-7 on the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition menu either- though you can still get to the 'hidden' version of the movie by entering Title 3 since the disc didn't disable that control. Oppo told me to send them copies and they'll check it out- the BDP-93 does not have this problem.

For Independence Day, on the 2nd disc go to the menu with the computer and hit Right til the small light on the computer turns red. Hit Enter and it'll give you a cryptic message while the ship in the background starts moving. Go back to the main menu and you're supposed to enter the number 74- which would be just 7 and 4 on an Oppo player, but if you have a player with a "+10" button on the remote you'll instead have to hit that 7 times to indicate "70" and then hit 4. It'll then go to the hidden menu with some cool stuff, like being able to see the actual videos of the fake newscasts done for the movie. Title select is locked out on that disc, so the only way to get to that on the 203 right now is to put it on "Repeat All" then skip through every chapter until you get to it, which is rather tedious.
This is just on DVDs, right? Or are you taking about UMDs/BRs?
Old 07-07-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
This is just on DVDs, right? Or are you taking about UMDs/BRs?
He's talking about the ID4 5 star DVD two disc set.

@Alan Smithee

I tried it on my Oppo 203 and I gave up in frustration. It's too tedious work. Do they still do Easter Eggs on movie discs? Personally I think it's annoying and everything should be laid out in the bonus options instead of hunting down features like it's a video game. Much of the blame goes to Fox for laying it out that way.
Old 07-10-18, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Updating the firmware took mere seconds. Less than a minute to be exact. I imagine most if not all are Dolby Vision features.
Old 07-10-18, 12:25 PM

I tried it on my Oppo 203 and I gave up in frustration. It's too tedious work.
That's because it WON'T work on that player the way it is now, since it won't properly respond to any numbers entered during menu screens. Hopefully they'll fix that. I'm a bit surprised at myself for not noticing this problem sooner.

I haven't really seen anything creatively hidden on a Blu-Ray disc, of course I don't buy new movies on regular DVD anymore.
Old 07-10-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's because it WON'T work on that player the way it is now, since it won't properly respond to any numbers entered during menu screens. Hopefully they'll fix that. I'm a bit surprised at myself for not noticing this problem sooner.

Well don't I feel dumb.
Old 10-04-18, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the best alternative to a 203 for those of us only concerned with watching actual movie discs (PQ and player durability)? Panasonic UB820?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.