Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4/XBX/PC) (09/2018)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4/XBX/PC) (09/2018)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 10:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4/XBX/PC) (09/2018)

I thought people were talking about the first in the reboot, Tomb Raider as being great..
Old 11-16-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The first game has been given away free plus on sale for $6, so it wouldn't make much sense for someone to point out if it was $30.
Old 11-17-18, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The first one is fantastic, one of my favorites of all-time and one of the few games I have actually played through multiple times. Definitely start there.
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
You're joking right? Which fucking thread are you in?
Originally Posted by fumanstan
The first game has been given away free plus on sale for $6, so it wouldn't make much sense for someone to point out if it was $30.
the top post by Max was what i was referring too. so i asked which one of the Tomb Raider games was $30. i haven't been following the price differentials on the various franchise games and thus didn't know. i thought matt was referring to the first in reboot. MY BAD!
Old 11-21-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Amazon has the steelbook for $29.99 right now if this is on anyone's Black Friday shopping list.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-21-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Amazon has the steelbook for $29.99 right now if this is on anyone's Black Friday shopping list. https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Of-The...camp=2025&th=1
... and the CROFT edition for $49.99

Old 11-23-18, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regular non-steelbook edition $25
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-03-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It pains me to say this, but I think this is the first Tomb Raider game I actually abandon. I absolutely love the last two games but every time I think about this game I end up playing just about anything else. The game is about as bland and generic that they could make a Tomb Raider game. In my eight or so hours of playing, I think I have only come across one tomb. So that last part might be more of my fault for not exploring enough, but the game isn't pushing me nor is it interesting enough for me to feel like doing anything other than running to the next objective. It's really a shame that THIS is the game that is wrapping up a trilogy that had such a promising start.
Old 01-03-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It pains me to say this, but I think this is the first Tomb Raider game I actually abandon. I absolutely love the last two games but every time I think about this game I end up playing just about anything else. The game is about as bland and generic that they could make a Tomb Raider game. In my eight or so hours of playing, I think I have only come across one tomb. So that last part might be more of my fault for not exploring enough, but the game isn't pushing me nor is it interesting enough for me to feel like doing anything other than running to the next objective. It's really a shame that THIS is the game that is wrapping up a trilogy that had such a promising start.
I was in this boat too. But the last 1/3 of the game moves very quickly. So I just sat down for 2 hours and powered through it one day.
Old 01-03-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

It's honestly a little scary how much I share this sentiment. I also really liked the first two, and despite the lukewarm reception towards Shadow, I started playing it this week. I'm about 6-8 hours in maybe, and I'm going to go ahead and walk away. I'm actually waiting for a new game to install as we speak.

The game looks great and I think the actual act of climbing and moving around the environment feels really good. But the game as a whole is completely unengaging. The combat, hunting, and crafting are drab, at best. The environments are pretty but forgettable. Weapon and character upgrades are, as far as I can tell, unnecessary. I'm sitting several upgrade points for Lara, but don't see any real reason to use them. Her upgrade tree is huge, too, but I don't need/want/see the use for any of them.

And I've found the entrances to several tombs, but could only get into one so far. The others are locked and require equipment that I don't have yet (shotgun, rope climber thing, reinforced knife, etc.).
Old 01-03-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, I posted my thoughts earlier and that's having finished the game. It's weird, the game play mechanics are there, its just in a world that doesn't bring it all together the way the other games did. It's a big step down from the Crystal Dynamics games, the same way other franchises seem to have gone when the reins were handed elsewhere; like a Gears of War Judgement or Batman Arkham Origins
Old 01-18-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to go back and finish this one tonight. I can't remember the last time I've been this disappointed in a game. Not mad or angry, but just flat out disappointed. I'm pretty sure I ended up finishing the game without exploring one tomb. So not sure how you call yourself a Tomb Raider game if you don't at least have one tomb to take your player through at some point in the story. Sure, I can go back and explore now and try to wrap up some side stuff and explore some tombs and whatnot, but the game doesn't really give you any motivation to do that. It's weird just how lifeless and uninspired this game was during the whole play through. Even with as wacky the as things got towards the end, they put you in the most boring and predicable boss fight that I can remember. I guess I'm just a little speechless on how this game turned out this way, especially with the two absolutely stellar games that came before it. I was ready for this trilogy to go out on a bang and it turned out to be a whimper, and that just flat out sucks.
Old 01-19-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I finished it and liked it a lot. I never finished the first one and the second one was pretty forgettable to me, but I finished it.
Old 01-19-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I think I'm enjoying it more than you guys, only because I make it a point to hit every tomb/crypt I come across - those have definitely been the most interesting aspects of the game.

But yeah, it's weird that they made those optional, and deviations form the main game.
Old 01-28-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went back and played through all of the tombs this weekend and it was by far the best part of the game, which is even more baffling to me now why they made every single one of them optional. They should at least had one or two of them be main parts of the game. Oh well, at least I'm finally finished and can uninstall it.
Old 02-05-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This is being added to Game Pass in 2 days. Sweet.
Old 02-05-19, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
This is being added to Game Pass in 2 days. Sweet.
sweet indeed. thanks for heads up...
Old 02-05-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thing must have really tanked in sales. I wonder how much longer until it's a PS+ game. It would be funny if it came before the second one
Old 10-15-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ELCbqASrdyA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>