Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Rock as a genre is fine and popular, I'm not sure what "new rock" the OP is talking about precisely but most indie rock has an acquired sound that doesn't necessarily mesh well with the mainstream. In terms of modern day mainstream rock, you basically have Twenty One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, and an occasional Foo Fighters or Zac Brown crossover. People like pop right now.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Generally I think the waning interest in guitar-driven Pop music is real and not cyclical. Pop music has been moving away from guitar-driven riffs and melodies as Western countries become less dominated by European ancestry and more racially diverse.
Old 01-22-18, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock is a pretty broad genre and there seems to be a pretty steady stream of it. Really nowadays it seems you can find your niche in music across a ton of channels (from the old fashioned local scene to youtube/spotify/bandcamp/etc).

Here's where I insert that I "like lots of new music and a variety of genres". But I have been digging this return to 90s alt and indie rock (Charly Bliss, Mannequin Pussy, Girlpool - to name a few with new music in the last 12 months or so). Additionally, old indie bands like Spoon, Grandaddy put out some recent albums or someone like Angel Olsen would be an offshoot of rock with some of her output (though again probably more indie/alt - whatever you want to call it, some straight up folk/country). Ok, so classifying music is hard.

Not sure of much hair metal/rock/glam coming back now - Journey, Def Leppard - though a few years ago a couple acts were kinda doing this. Kinda. And I bet you can find a ton of bands still doing this today (just not on the radio? MTV? Vh1? Where does everyone go to listen to the same music at the same time now? Nowhere, right?)

If you are thinking classic rock (Stones, Who) something like Greta Van Fleet might be trending in that direction. I mean, this is Led Zeppelin through and through right? This could signal the next round of influence in some mainstream rock?

Old 01-22-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I listened to that Greta Von Fleet album (From The Fires) today. Awesome stuff. So much like Zeppelin that some might call them a tribute band. But definitely a new rock band that put out a great first album.
Old 01-22-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

There's plenty of great new rock music (metal, hard rock, power pop, whatever) to be found. But yes, you have to FIND it. It's not particularly hard. I'm 47 in three days and still find plenty of it just by keeping my ears open.

Is it the predominant pop-cultural musical form? Not even close. But why does it NEED to be? Will that make the quality of the tunes ANY better?
Old 01-22-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about Kadavar? Another band that sounds pretty much like it came from the 70's, but their first album was in 2012.
Old 01-23-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Rock was revolutionary because it was the first marketable form of music that stretched well beyond the music itself.

When rock was invented the LP record was finally affordable and mass produced for the middle class. It ushered-in the whole tie-in with fashion, attitudes and hairstyles which, up until that point, no other music has really influenced the broader culture.

In a lot of ways, I think music today has had less of an affect on teenagers than at any time since before the introduction of rock in the 1950s.
Old 01-25-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
In a lot of ways, I think music today has had less of an affect on teenagers than at any time since before the introduction of rock in the 1950s.
That is a very good point. Music used to be a common unifying force for teenagers during the mass media era. That all changed in the past ten years or so with teens' musical tastes fracturing into much smaller followings.
Old 01-25-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Rock was revolutionary because it was the first marketable form of music that stretched well beyond the music itself.

When rock was invented the LP record was finally affordable and mass produced for the middle class. It ushered-in the whole tie-in with fashion, attitudes and hairstyles which, up until that point, no other music has really influenced the broader culture.

No, trust me, people like Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar are as big an influence on teens today as Madonna or Michael Jackson were in the '80s. Obviously they're nowhere near as big as Mads or MJ were, and teens are far more fractured in what they each are influenced by, but pop star's influence on broader culture is definitely still there.
Old 01-26-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Rock is a pretty broad genre and there seems to be a pretty steady stream of it. Really nowadays it seems you can find your niche in music across a ton of channels (from the old fashioned local scene to youtube/spotify/bandcamp/etc).

Here's where I insert that I "like lots of new music and a variety of genres". But I have been digging this return to 90s alt and indie rock (Charly Bliss, Mannequin Pussy, Girlpool - to name a few with new music in the last 12 months or so). Additionally, old indie bands like Spoon, Grandaddy put out some recent albums or someone like Angel Olsen would be an offshoot of rock with some of her output (though again probably more indie/alt - whatever you want to call it, some straight up folk/country). Ok, so classifying music is hard.

Not sure of much hair metal/rock/glam coming back now - Journey, Def Leppard - though a few years ago a couple acts were kinda doing this. Kinda. And I bet you can find a ton of bands still doing this today (just not on the radio? MTV? Vh1? Where does everyone go to listen to the same music at the same time now? Nowhere, right?)

If you are thinking classic rock (Stones, Who) something like Greta Van Fleet might be trending in that direction. I mean, this is Led Zeppelin through and through right? This could signal the next round of influence in some mainstream rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co
It would be pretty fun if a shitty Led Zeppelin cover band becomes the biggest mainstream band in rock since Zeppelin themselves were nothing but plagerists.
Old 01-26-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
What is considered new rock? How old can a band be to be considered new rock?
I don't think any of the kids in Greta Van Fleet are over 21. Great band, derivative, no question, but a STUPID name.
Old 01-26-18, 07:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

There are plenty of modern rock bands, many with pretty big audiences (Foo Fighters, anyone?), and some of them are as talented (if not more so) than those bands ever were.* But the "monoculture" of the past is long gone. Genres have expanded. Radio doesn't dominate like it once did, for much other than Top 40 pop & country.

*To be clear, Foo Fighters fits in the first category (big audiences) but not the latter.

Originally Posted by slop101
No, trust me, people like Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar are as big an influence on teens today as Madonna or Michael Jackson were in the '80s. Obviously they're nowhere near as big as Mads or MJ were, and teens are far more fractured in what they each are influenced by, but pop star's influence on broader culture is definitely still there.
This is true, but the only difference that I see (anecdotally) is that there are far FEWER of these types than there ever were.
Old 01-27-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The audience is there, and it can be grown, but radio programmers won't play it. But this is interesting...

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...etal-listeners

That report recently surfaced showing the Heavy Metal fans are the most loyal in the world, and Rock fans are more loyal than Hip Hop fans.
Old 01-27-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That report recently surfaced showing the Heavy Metal fans are the most loyal in the world, and Rock fans are more loyal than Hip Hop fans.
The die-hard fans of bands like Metallica, who are now in their forties and fifties, will enthusiastically tell you how the 1989 "Justice Tour" changed their life.

Twenty years from now will anyone claim Taylor Swift's "2010 Fearless" tour changed their life? Probably not. It will be described as a fun, entertaining night out.

In terms of sheer numbers and money, I'm sure you could say Taylor Swift was more successful but for creating lasting dedication and rabid following, bands like Metallica will probably never be repeated.
Old 02-04-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to post that testosterone levels are falling off, and it might be contributing to the loss of Rock'N Roll. Then I realized I was about to post two RNR songs featuring women.

Old 02-13-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thundermother is a hell of a find. Thanks for that.

Was disappointed but not surprised they aren't from the US. This country isn't producing shit for rock bands any more. You gotta look outside more and more. I've gotten hooked on the Japanese scene, which is incredible, especially the all-girl bands.

The guys do pretty well, too.

Old 02-13-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I don't think any of the kids in Greta Van Fleet are over 21. Great band, derivative, no question, but a STUPID name.
I love GVF, but I don't feel hip and trendy liking them, considering the sound.
Makes me wonder if they'll have any success outside the nostalgia listeners.
Old 02-14-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
So without MTV as a real music outlet, and without FM radio as an outlet for new Rock bands it's going to be really hard for a younger band to break through and get any kind of traction.
Reminder that MTV has, typically, about three channels showing music at any point in the day: MTV Classic, MTV Live, and MTVU.

Rock, of course, doesn't dominate any of these but it's more prevalent on MTV Classic for obvious reasons. Their rock block is from 6pm to 10pm tomorrow, for example.
Old 02-14-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Twenty years from now will anyone claim Taylor Swift's "2010 Fearless" tour changed their life? Probably not. It will be described as a fun, entertaining night out.
You should talk to more people that go to these concerts to make your predictions more accurate.