Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

Selected by Dick Laurent

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ON STARZ VIA PRIME

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ WORKPRINT

ALYXSTARR LINK ~TOBE HOOPER COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ CAST & CREW COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ CREW COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-07-17 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 04:23 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Originally, I wasn't looking forward to this one. But it turned out to be a great pick. I haven't seen this movie in 20+ years. But it aged well, and it's much better than I remembered. Also, this might be the first time I saw the unrated cut.

I'm usually not a fan of gore, but the effects and makeup were really well done.

One thing I've always remembered about this movie were the amazing sets. That underground lair is just insane.
Old 10-01-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

The first is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I enjoy this one a great deal as well. It tosses out much of what makes the first film great, namely its realism, and turns it into TCM the cartoon version. It's a hoot, and Dennis Hopper and Bill Moseley seem to be having a lot of fun as well.

I still only have the original Blu-ray release. For those who have sprung for the Arrow or Scream Factory editions, how much better is the picture?
Old 10-01-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I felt this was a great watch, even got it on blu-ray.
Old 10-01-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I wonder what happened to all those props. Like the skeleton riding the bomb (Slim Pickens style) or the skull wall with light up eyes, so much cool stuff in their lair.
Old 10-01-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

This might be my second favorite Dennis Hopper performance after Blue Velvet. He really hammed it up, but in the best possible way.

I also noticed John Bloom (as Joe Bob Briggs) was still listed in the credits as "gonzo moviegoer" despite his scene being cut. What's up with that?
Old 10-01-17, 06:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This was my second viewing, the first was in 2010. Back then it took me most of the movie to really get into it since I was expecting something very different, more like the original. This time I particularly noticed the sets where the family lived, especially the underground ones - always amazing and often like a grotesque fairyland. I still never got much of a sense of threat or suspense but there were several cringe worthy scenes not to mention disturbing chainsaw sex. The chase scenes were entertaining enough and the chainsaw vs chainsaw fight was good. I still find Chop-Top kind of annoying but more tolerable than the first time around. Drayton, who I really should have found annoying, worked pretty well for me providing almost a Greek chorus like business based commentary on much of the action. I thought the pacing was pretty good with only a couple of scenes going on just a bit too long like the attack at the radio station. All in all a twisted fun ride which I enjoyed, especially the last 20 minutes or so.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I still only have the original Blu-ray release. For those who have sprung for the Arrow or Scream Factory editions, how much better is the picture?
I have the Arrow Blu-ray and I thought the picture was great but I don't have the original BR release to compare it to.
Old 10-01-17, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished watching TCM2 and I still have to say I am not the biggest fan of this movie. I like several moments throughout, but I just feel that it could have done with some editing to tighten it up.
Old 10-01-17, 09:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

It's been an all TCM afternoon and evening for me so far. Iirc, I had only seen the original once before today, and I wasn't impressed. Looking at IMDb, I rated it a 4/10. Today, I appreciated it more and changed my score to a 7/10.

Except for bits on cable, today was probably my first viewing of the sequel. My favorite part is that they corrected the spelling error of the first film and changed "Chain Saw" to "Chainsaw".
Old 10-01-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

This was my third viewing of the film, and I like it better now than I did on either of the two previous viewings. It's really, when you think about it, a very, very odd film. It's kind of amazing that it got made at all, due to budget and time constraints on the filmmakers. The documentary included on the Blu-rays and the "Gruesome Edition" DVD, It Runs in the Family, is absolutely fascinating. I love the soundtrack; it features a lot of artists from the IRS roster of the mid-80s. I still have it on vinyl. I also love the chutzpah that the marketing team exhibited with the one-sheet poster--it's a direct rip-off / homage to the poster for The Breakfast Club! (If you watch the documentary, you'll find out why.) See for yourself:

Old 10-01-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
The documentary included on the Blu-rays and the "Gruesome Edition" DVD, It Runs in the Family, is absolutely fascinating. I love the soundtrack; it features a lot of artists from the IRS roster of the mid-80s. I still have it on vinyl. I also love the chutzpah that the marketing team exhibited with the one-sheet poster--it's a direct rip-off / homage to the poster for The Breakfast Club! (If you watch the documentary, you'll find out why.)
So much THIS for the soundtrack; terrific songs from my youth. I saw TCM2 in the theater when it came out, and I didn't much care for it at the time. I prefer supernatural horror to slashers. I'm still not a huge fan of this movie, but it plays better for me now than it did then. Stretch is strong and intelligent, and not just a scream queen, and Dennis Hopper always added a special magic to every role he played. Also, for a low-budget Cannon film, the underground set looks fantastic!

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-17 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Sitting here watching TCM2 right now. It's been such a long time since I've seen this, and I'm pretty sure I never finished watching it originally. It's much more polished than how I remember, but it was good and entertaining. I don't think i've ever seen a chainsaw start as easy as anyone is this movie pulled off.

That's a great poster BTW.

All these checklist items for next year keep on coming to me.

1) Human as the main ingredient in some culinary dish?
2) Burgomaster makes an appearance (Frankenstein not TCM2)

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-01-17 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've watched this one quite a bit and I've found it to be quite amusing as well as entertaining to the maximum. None of the characters in the film are tightly wrapped snd Savini does a superb job on the fx work
Old 10-02-17, 05:42 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw TCM2 in the theater and was disappointed that it went the dark comedy route. Now, with age, I love the film. I think its a masterpiece.
Old 10-02-17, 07:36 PM

I watched this yesterday and thought it was ok. I think I much prefer the serious route when it comes to Leatherface as the dark humor didn't really work for me in this case, it was entertaining in parts but not enough for me to rate it higher than average. Maybe I will change my mind down the line if I ever revisit it in the future.
Old 10-03-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think watching this in the theaters at the time it was released would help the overall perception, as it's more of a parody/commentary on where movies were at the time. I just really wish the pace would have been tightened up some.

Originally Posted by Chad
This might be my second favorite Dennis Hopper performance after Blue Velvet. He really hammed it up, but in the best possible way.
Don't forget The River, which came out the same year as Blue Velvet, but he played like the exact same character.

Also, I've seen this movie a few times and every time I see pictures of Hopper for this role I always think he plays a Texas Ranger.
Old 10-08-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

It's been bugging me since I watched it, but some of the score, particularly from the climax, felt lifted from something else. I know this happens with genre films sometimes, but it's driving me crazy that I haven't been able to place it.
Old 10-21-17, 12:42 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Love this film, Savini and co. did an amazing job.
Old 10-21-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I like how 'the family' just mysteriously show up in different almost random ways throughout the first half.
The intro is great with the college punks smarting around until they get out goofed by 'the family' and the upbeat radio DJ background is a really great segue into what's to come but the tone is so inconsistent from silly and upbeat to blood splatter, that's a brilliant twist.
Bill Mosley just hamming it up in the radio station lobby is really creepy, but as a whole I think his performance (and Draton) is too often over the top to a fault. The balance of upbeat and gorey works amazingly well most of the time. The movie is fun and sort of lighthearted (despite the killings and all) then bam - leatherface is putting the LG's skin mask on her and making her dance taking things to a gut wrenching dark opposite. The guy waking up to find her wearing his face might be the most brilliantly bleakest thing ever.
Sometimes the 'humor' doesn't quite work and detracts some from the film. I think if things hadn't been so artistically directed it could have fallen apart; as is I especially like TCM2.
Agree that Dennis Hooper is great.
The homage ending is really smart.

"Hell's exactly what they raised."
Originally Posted by clckworang
The DVD Talk review of the Scream blu has some comparison screenshots, looks like it might be worth a double dip for both of us.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-21-17 at 08:55 PM.