Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sheepshank Redemption: Stephen King Movie Sheep Game

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The Sheepshank Redemption: Stephen King Movie Sheep

The basic rules:

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:
(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers, The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like “Name a great color.” Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our six players answered like this:

Players A, C and E said “Blue”
Players B and D said “Green”
Player D said “Chartreuse”

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The “Blue” players get -3 points (and the best answer). The “Green” players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like “Name a state on the Atlantic Coast.” Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said “Delaware”
Players F and B said “Maine”
Player C said “Texas”
Player A said “South Carolina”

The “Delaware” players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The “Maine” players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: “Name a professional golfer” A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: “Name a play by Shakespeare.” Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible.)
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as a wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers set info or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:; Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -20
2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
4+ Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd}: Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
In Reverse Sheep questions you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

For this game, “movie” refers to theatrically released films, not direct to video productions or TV movies.

Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}, and please place it after your answer (not before).

The Questions

1. S: What is the all-time scariest movie based on a Stephen King work? (Note: “works” include anything King has ever written - novels, novellas, short stories, screenplays, etc.)
2. S: Name a Stephen King movie that has been either remade or given a sequel. (Note: give the name of the original movie itself, not the sequel or remake.)
3. R: A handful of Stephen King movies have received Oscar nominations. Name one of those movies, and the category it was nominated in.
4. S: What is the all-time worst movie based on a Stephen King work?
5. R: Frank Darabont is famous for having directed several adaptations of Stephen King’s works. Name one of Darabont’s directing credits.
6. S: Name an actor or actress who has appeared in more than one Stephen King movie.
7. S: If I were to ask what is the all-time best Stephen King movie, no doubt “The Shawshank Redemption” would win. In a universe where “The Shawshank Redemption” was never made, what is the all-time best Stephen King movie?
8. S: Which Stephen King novel that has not yet been adapted into a movie is most deserving of the big-screen treatment?
9. S: Which actor or actress has given the all-time best performance in a Stephen King movie?
10. S: Name a memorable Stephen King movie villain/antagonist.
11. S: Not all of Stephen King’s best characters are evil. Give us the name of a character from a Stephen King movie that would be considered the movie’s hero/protagonist.
12. R: Name a theatrically-released, non-sequel Stephen King movie that predominantly features a child or children. (A “child” being a character high school age or younger.)
13. S: Not all of King’s characters are strictly human. Give us the name of a non-human character in a Stephen King film.
14. S: Kathy Bates won an Oscar for her role in “Misery.” Besides Bates, name an Oscar-winning actress to star in a Stephen King movie.
15. R: Now, name an Oscar-nominated male actor who has appeared in a Stephen King movie.
16. S: Name a movie that was based on a Stephen King short story (NOT a novel or novella).
17. S: Speaking of short stories, “Creepshow” and “Creepshow 2” were comprised of eight short films based on Stephen King works. Give us the title, or briefly summarize the plot, of one of those eight short films.
18. S: Like the aforementioned “Shawshank Redemption,” not all Stephen King movies are horror movies. Besides “Shawshank,” name a non-horror Stephen King movie.
19. R: Name a Stephen King movie where the author himself has made a cameo appearance on screen.
20. S: Many consider Stephen King’s novels written prior to 1990 to be among his best. So, name the best Stephen King movie released prior to 1990.

NOTE: I will be on vacation all of next week, so I will begin tabulating answers on Monday, September 18th. So players have plenty of time to submit their answers!

Last edited by Mr. Flix; 09-09-17 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The Sheepshank Redemption: Stephen King Movie Sheep Game

On #5, are we to name one of Darabount's directing credits, or one of his SK directing credits?
Old 09-07-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
On #5, are we to name one of Darabount's directing credits, or one of his SK directing credits?
What does the question say? ;-) For clarity: you may read the second part of #5 independently from the first part.
Old 09-07-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

answers submitted. no idea how i'll do since i've read way more of King's books than watched the movies
Old 09-07-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Question : On Reverse question #3 - will two answers of the same movie but in two different Oscar categories both be considered correct & unique?
Old 09-07-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Question : On Reverse question #3 - will two answers of the same movie but in two different Oscar categories both be considered correct & unique?
Yes. So players, make sure to specify the Oscar category, not just the movie.
Old 09-07-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sheep: please note that I have re-written the wording for Question 12. If you've already submitted answers and want to change yours, feel free to do so.
Old 09-07-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

So now it is specifically about ghosts? Whoops ... wrong game!
Old 09-07-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So now it is specifically about ghosts? Whoops ... wrong game!
For you, yes. Add the word "ghosts" to every question.
Old 09-07-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
For you, yes. Add the word "ghosts" to every question.

I think my answer is ok for it.. I never have an idea of what I submitted.
Old 09-07-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Is Lawnmower Man disqualified given King sued to have his name removed from all credits given it had nothing to do with his short story of the same name?
Old 09-07-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Is Lawnmower Man disqualified given King sued to have his name removed from all credits given it had nothing to do with his short story of the same name?
Probably not.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The film's original script, written by director Brett Leonard and producer Gimel Everett, was titled Cyber God and had nothing to do with King's short story. New Line Cinema held the film rights to King's story, and decided to combine Cyber God with some minor elements of King's "The Lawnmower Man".
Moot point since even if the game considers it a Stephen King movie it would be an incorrect answer to any of the reverses.

I can't figure out why Stephen King could sue to have his name taken off the movie. It seems to me the film company paid for the rights to adapt the story, how can Stephen King sue just because they did a crummy job? Did he have to give them their money back?
Old 09-07-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Nope, it counts.
Old 09-07-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Answers submitted.

Of course, right after I hit "send," a Stephen King film that I had completely forgotten about popped into my head, and I could have used it for at least two answers.

Old 09-07-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've submitted my lobstrosities of answers. Now I'm off to drink some red rum. Tok!
Old 09-08-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

I have at least through the weekend, right?

There must be thirty correct reverse answers for 15. I'll be pissed if I match someone.
Old 09-08-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Bad, bad Leroy Brown answers submitted, thanks!
Old 09-08-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There must be thirty correct reverse answers for 15. I'll be pissed if I match someone.
I'm stuck on this question too. Do I go for a more obscure Stephen King movie, or concentrate on actors people probably don't remember were once nominated?
Old 09-08-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

In other games, "actor" is considered a gender-neutral term. But other questions specify "actress". For #15, are actresses considered incorrect answers?
Old 09-08-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brainee
In other games, "actor" is considered a gender-neutral term. But other questions specify "actress". For #15, are actresses considered incorrect answers?
Waiting on an answer for this before I submit.
Old 09-09-17, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Answers for 14 should be female, answers for 15 should be male.
Old 09-09-17, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, through Sunday
Old 09-09-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm in. Trying to think of a Stephen King book that hadn't been turned into some sort of movie was tricky.
Old 09-09-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed! There are plenty, but naming them is another story. Most I could think of are ones that I wouldn't want to see at all or wouldn't work well in a 2 hour format. Really, "On Writing" starring Chris Pratt? Ugghhh!
Old 09-09-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Agreed! There are plenty, but naming them is another story. Most I could think of are ones that I wouldn't want to see at all or wouldn't work well in a 2 hour format. Really, "On Writing" starring Chris Pratt? Ugghhh!
There's one answer that seemed so obvious once I remembered the book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.