Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts
re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

I missed it...but it is re-airing this Tuesday in my neck of the woods. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-10-17, 11:29 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

I liked it as well. And I'll be first to admit the alien security girl is cute.
Old 09-10-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Tone was kind of uneven. But I found it entertaining.

I liked the Worf like character. I liked some of his banter when the Orville was under attack.

I guess Victor Garber found a little time after Legends of Tomorrow's season wrapped to moonlight on this show.

The special effects were actually pretty decent.

As I said earlier in this thread, they already wrapped filming 13 episodes last month. I'm curious if that's it for the season or if there is a chance for more should ratings be good.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Not a Star Trek fan, so I wasn't sure if I would like this "parody"

I loved it! Glad it wasn't actually a spoof show and it really had a good storyline.

I'm sold!
Don't know if you're aware, but Jon Cassar directed 2 episodes.
Old 09-11-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Don't know if you're aware, but Jon Cassar directed 2 episodes.
I vaguely remember seeing that on Twitter. Also, I didn't watch Castle, so this was my first time seeing Penny Johnson Jerald on TV since 24.
Old 09-11-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I LOVED it. It was a Star Trek spoof that didn't go overboard with slapsticky, silly comedy. The humor was subtle and witty (it was just one step further than the kind of humor they used in Stargate SG-1, which was most definitely a serious sci fi action drama, but it still had a lighthearted approach). I loved the characters, and the tone of the show was perfect! It was FUN!

It was better than anything Star Trek since DS9.

I'd love to see this thing last for years. This will be a regular part of my Sunday nights as long as it's on.
Old 09-11-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I LOVED it. It was a Star Trek spoof that didn't go overboard with slapsticky, silly comedy. The humor was subtle and witty (it was just one step further than the kind of humor they used in Stargate SG-1, which was most definitely a serious sci fi action drama, but it still had a lighthearted approach). I loved the characters, and the tone of the show was perfect! It was FUN!

It was better than anything Star Trek since DS9.

I'd love to see this thing last for years. This will be a regular part of my Sunday nights as long as it's on.
It has 1 more Sunday airing and then moves to Thursdays in 2 weeks.
Old 09-11-17, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

It has 1 more Sunday airing and then moves to Thursdays in 2 weeks.
Well, whenever it's on I'll be watching.
Old 09-11-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Didn't suck as bad as I thought it would, not exactly good either. I got no sense of drama. Seemed like a parody of TNG. Taking aim at the snobbish, perfectness of everybody listening to classical music and reading Shakespeare on Star Trek. The characters seemed more like real people with 2017 sensibilities like the original series.
There were a few gags that I found to be funny, and that was the only time I thought it was good. The best gag, the one with the dog, was ruined by them mentioning it. It worked as long as it remained a sight gag in the background.
If they went full on "Get Smart" it would be a lot better.

This will be airing opposite Arrow on Thursdays. It won't take any brain power to decide which to watch.
Old 09-11-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
=Seemed like a parody of TNG. Taking aim at the snobbish, perfectness of everybody listening to classical music and reading Shakespeare on Star Trek. The characters seemed more like real people with 2017 sensibilities like the original series.

The best gag, the one with the dog, was ruined by them mentioning it. It worked as long as it remained a sight gag in the background.
Those were my immediate reaction as well. So close to a perfect send up of the uptight TNG, but they kept ruining every great moment by trying to hard.

We'll give it a few more episodes, but this could drop low on the DVR priority list fast.
Old 09-11-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

It was exactly what I was hoping it would be.

I think most will like it by enjoying the humor and not taking it seriously. This is like the perfect dessert show after watching something like "This is us".

The scene with the Ogre was fantastic
Old 09-11-17, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the Worf like character. Hard to believe that's Chad Coleman from the Walking Dead. I liked some of his banter when the Orville was under attack.
That wasn't Chad Coleman. He mentioned he doesn't show up until Ep. 4. With the way he was tweeting about it I thought it was him until he said who the actor was on twitter.

I thought it was fun. Seems like a hard balance but the humor was good without being hit repeatedly and I don't have a problem with any of the characters. I hate when shows start off with everyone fighting each other so seeing the crew come in with a purpose was a relief.
Old 09-11-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Flatlander
That wasn't Chad Coleman. He mentioned he doesn't show up until Ep. 4. With the way he was tweeting about it I thought it was him until he said who the actor was on twitter.
Whoops. Thx for the correction. Looks like the actor is Peter Macon.
Old 09-11-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I found it to be sort of all over the place. The comedy bits felt out of place because overall this wants to be warmed over, rehashed Star Trek: The Next Generation. In fact, this is REALLY Trek-ish. Like, 'I wonder what Paramount's lawyers think of all this?' Trek-ish. Some shots were out and out copies of TNG/movie shots. The space suited crew waving to the departing Orville and the ship under, what was it, Quantum Drive? Out and out copycat shots. The ship design is very TNG inspired, the interior shots and uniforms were very reminiscent, and they even had a freakin' Holodeck (which was used better than TNG ever did). The effects were fine for TV, but overall the look and feel of this is very generic and flat.

The story was very season one TNG as well. I'd like to think that things like the seatbelt bit will poke holes in some of the tropes that became so common in the Trek series over the last 20 years, but who knows.

There were some things I liked about it. Specifically, the bridge crew seems to have a fun rapport. I could see the stoic alien becoming a breakout character. I thought the bit about the bars and strip clubs worked well. McFarlane himself seems to be the weak spot in the cast. I think the show needs to be more sarcastic and funny than trying to recapture something that was already done better than this could ever hope to do.

I'll probably continue watching it, as it most likely won't be around long. I think some reviewers said it gets a little better as it goes on. I just can't see audiences warming up to this, but I can't help thinking some bozo out there is already making plans for Orville-Con.
Old 09-11-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

It felt like a less serious Star Trek: The Next Generation to me with a dash of cultural spoofing.

I didn't think it was terrible or anything but I wonder how long audiences will stick around. This is the type of show that needs to find its audience and that usually takes time.
Old 09-11-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Loved it. I thought the humor was great.

"Can I have one of these mints?"

"Those are marbles."

*spits out marble*

Old 09-11-17, 01:11 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I didn't think it was terrible, but not great either. Ill watch a few more, but it's not live TV worthy like GOT or Outlander.

I thought the filming and color pallette was a little too sitcom-y. Might work better a little more cinematic.
Old 09-11-17, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I enjoyed the dry humor.

"We need not longer to fear the banana. Does it work on all fruits? What about salads?"
Old 09-11-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 09-11-17, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Family Guy, and generally am not a fan of McFarlane's humor at all--but I enjoy sci-fi comedies, and I liked this episode well enough. I'll tune in again.
Old 09-11-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched it. I liked it more than the critics did, but I think there are some issues that need to be worked out.

Pros:
- The cute security chief is well played. For now, she's my favourite character.
- The overall premise of the show is sound.
- The humour works at times. The banter amongst the senior staff is the best part.
- Visual effects are decent.

Cons:
- Tonally, this show is all over the place. It's doesn't know what it wants to be.
- Seth MacFarlane's dramatic acting needs improvement.
- The cinematography and production design looks cheap as fuck. 20+ year old episodes of TNG/DS9/VOY look better than this show.
Old 09-12-17, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I finally watched it, and I liked it better than I thought I would based on the reviews. There is enough of MacFarlane's comedy style sprinkled throughout. And it's not like there's an actual Star Trek on network tv coming anytime soon so I'm sure for some it scratches that itch.

I'm not sure if it's the cgi or what but there were several times I was really distracted by the actors just staring off into space at nothing. Like Palicki when they're in the science base getting the explanation.

I'll watch a few more, but I don't see how this survives. As an hour long drama with comedic elements, and What I'm sure is a relatively big budget, I'm not sure what kind of ratings it needs to keep up to survive.
Old 09-12-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought the CGI was fine for the most part, with the exception of the science officer's(?) leaping ability. I get she has super human strength but the jumping part was sort of lame. Still, didn't affect my enjoyment. I like the beginning when McFarlane is getting his performance evaluation and he's told that he showed up for work hungover...SIX days in a row.
Old 09-12-17, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

The jokes I liked most:

-"you got wood" and then Ed admitting "that is better"

-can I wear shorts to work? I work in a typical office environment and I want to wear shorts sometimes during these 100+ degree days in the summer!
Old 09-12-17, 01:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Hated it.

Family Guy in space but not funny. What? Family Guy isn't funny? So, Family Guy in Space.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.