Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Old 09-06-17, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

IMDB calls it a Comedic Drama. I have no reasons to believe it is not a comedy.
Old 09-06-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Originally Posted by Holydoc
IMDB calls it a Comedic Drama. I have no reasons to believe it is not a comedy.
Except for the in-depth review of people who have seen it. But you believe what you want I suppose.
Old 09-06-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I mean, the tvline review posted above starts out with this:
http://tvline.com/2017/09/05/the-orv...i-outer-space/
Consider this a red alert to TV fans everywhere: Are you expecting Seth MacFarlane’s new Fox series The Orville to be a fun Star Trek parody packed with wall-to-wall jokes? Two words of advice: Abandon ship.

Despite what Fox’s official site claims, The Orville — premiering this Sunday at 8/7c — is not a “hilarious comedy.” It’s not even a comedy. Yes, there are a few Family Guy-esque punchlines scattered throughout, but as bafflingly as this sounds, The Orville is mostly a straightforward drama… and not a very good one, at that. Riddled with sci-fi clichés and paralyzed by a grim self-importance, MacFarlane’s shiny new vessel ends up being a colossal dud that not only fails to take flight, it short-circuits before it even gets out of the docking bay.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/tv/articl...e-12169901.php
At times, “Orville” feels like an uncomplicated paean to the original “Star Trek.” There are a few moments of humor, but they feel half-hearted, almost as though someone said, “Hey, you created ‘Family Guy.’ Write something funny.” At other times, the show wants to make social commentary.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-orvi...th-macfarlane/

Ads for Fox’s new sci-fi series The Orville have tended to paint it as Seth MacFarlane’s Galaxy Quest, with the Family Guy creator and star riffing on Star Trek with a mix of irreverence and affection. This makes sense: MacFarlane is an unabashed Trekkie, and he’s known primarily for crude comedy (and occasional tributes to movie musicals). If that’s what MacFarlane and friends had made, it would still be a risk — MacFarlane has had many successes voicing animated or CGI characters, but the only other time he was a flesh-and-blood lead of something he created, it was A Million Ways to Die in the West — but it would be largely on-brand.

That’s not what The Orville actually is, though. (It debuts Sunday night at 8; I’ve seen the first three episodes.) Instead, it’s an hour-long drama that basically is 1990s Star Trek — or, rather, a mediocre facsimile of that era’s lamest Trek components, and with MacFarlane (who also created the series) as the lead instead of Patrick Stewart. Every five minutes or so, all the technobabble will pause so that MacFarlane or one of his co-stars (including Adrianne Palicki, Scott Grimes, Peter Macon, Chad L. Coleman, Halston Sage, and Penny Johnson Jerald) can make a joke about alien genitalia or 20th century Earth pop culture — one episode manages to combine the two — to keep the Peter Griffin fans in the audience from tuning out.

This is based off of not just the pilot but the first three episodes...
Old 09-06-17, 03:40 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Pass.
Old 09-06-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

That's really stunning since everyone thinks a Galaxy Quest type show with Seth could be really entertaining and the trailer was so funny.
Old 09-06-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I was really hoping this could be a nice second-tier series. I'd never expect it to be a smash hit, but it should have been at least enjoyable.
Old 09-06-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I thought it was a straight comedy too. IMDB lists it as comedy/drama/sci-fi. I'm still going to check it out but kind of hope it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Yeah, I hope it doesn't insist upon itself.
Old 09-06-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Wait... this isn't a comedy/spoof?

Jeez, even the picture at the top of the thread makes it look like a comedy.
Old 09-07-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Maybe it's the circles I'm in online, but I've been seeing a lot of comments from Seth and such about how it's not just a comedy, but every ad for it I see on Youtube keeps showing only the funny parts.

I think this may be another victim of Fox's marketing. It could have been a nice lighthearted drama with humourous aspects, but it seems to be floundering.
Old 09-10-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Remember, this premieres tonight after football.

Approx. 8pm ET/5pm PT live on both coasts. Game could run long, so pad your DVR if you aren't watching live.

Although here on our local FOX affiliate, it looks like it will re-air at 8pm PT.
Old 09-10-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

When McFarlane tries to get serious, everything falls flat. Kind of like the time they killed Brian on Family Guy.
Old 09-10-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
When McFarlane tries to get serious, everything falls flat.
You look at the captain and #1 in that pic and get "serious" ? I don't have a real feel for the tone of the show, but IMDB lists comedy 2nd (behind adventure, but before drama).

I'm looking forward to reading the feedback as I won't be watching live, and I'm not sure I'll even record it as I finally got out of overpadding hell with the end of The Good Wife and I'm not looking at getting back into it unless the show is really worth it (as The Good Wife was).

Although I think McFarlane is a really talented guy, I've never watched any of his animation shows as they're not my thing.
Old 09-10-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Why is everyone so intent on categorizing this, and basing initial opinions on nothing but that and a few brief promos? Just watch the fucking thing. If you like it, keep watching. If you don't like it, stop.
Old 09-10-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

This certainly LOOKS like a comedy. Sets, lighting, etc. all look like they're filming a sitcom. There's plenty of humor thrown in but it's certainly playing like a drama. I'm not sure what to make of this yet.
Old 09-10-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This pilot was terrible. Nearly every comedic bit fell flat. It needs to either go more towards the comedic or more towards the serious. I'll give it another episode, but have very low expectations.
Old 09-10-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

"Threading a needle in a hurricane."

Too soon?
Old 09-10-17, 08:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I enjoyed it. it's a dramedy. I have no doubt it will never last more than 1 season, but it certainly fills the "Star Trek on TV" void in my life. (I won't be paying more to watch ST: D).
Old 09-10-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

It has possibilities. There's room for good character development and interactions if written properly, and maybe tone down on the "this is Seth's show, he's the star, and he's going to make sure everyone knows it" feel. The main problem with a show like this is it's going to suffer from always being compared to Star Trek, and the writers are going to always have to be careful not to write things that draw too heavily on that influence.
Old 09-10-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonX
This pilot was terrible. Nearly every comedic bit fell flat. It needs to either go more towards the comedic or more towards the serious. I'll give it another episode, but have very low expectations.
I don't know if I'd say it was terrible but it definitely fell flat for me. It has a very "been there, done that" feel to it. There was nothing we haven't seen before in a Star Trek ripoff/spoof.

I think the only way to go full-on drama would be to completely retool the show. Going more toward "Galaxy Quest" spoof seems the easier route to go but even then it wouldn't be terrible original.

It's really a shame. I like both McFarlane and Palicki. Adrienne Palicki, in particular, just can't find a winner.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 09-10-17 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

D'oh! Missed it ... yeah, even with all the promos running during football. I went to the store and forgot to set the DVR. Oddly, I get virtually the whole FX family on my cable company's on-demand, but not Fox.
Old 09-10-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
D'oh! Missed it ... yeah, even with all the promos running during football. I went to the store and forgot to set the DVR. Oddly, I get virtually the whole FX family on my cable company's on-demand, but not Fox.
I think it replays a couple of times this week. Just look at your guide.
Old 09-10-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I did; it didn't come up with any repeat showings ... 8-(
Old 09-10-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I did; it didn't come up with any repeat showings ... 8-(
According to Xfinity it airs after the Hurricane thing on Tuesday at 8 on Fox.
Old 09-10-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a lot less jokey than I expected it to be. I enjoyed it for what it was.
Old 09-10-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Not a Star Trek fan, so I wasn't sure if I would like this "parody"

I loved it! Glad it wasn't actually a spoof show and it really had a good storyline.

I'm sold!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.