Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

I have a belief that the Great War will end by Episode 3 of Season 8, leaving the remaining three episodes to deal with the human conflicts on the show.
Old 09-06-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I have a belief that the Great War will end by Episode 3 of Season 8, leaving the remaining three episodes to deal with the human conflicts on the show.
Yeah, and it'll have like 8 different endings like LOTR.
Old 09-08-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Old 09-10-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Old 09-10-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ And then Bran says "No, not this time." Wargs into a raven and flies away. Prophecy fulfilled.

I would wager that since the whole saga is called a Song of Ice and Fire and the White Walkers have been set up as the ultimate villains since literally the first few pages and minutes of the respective mediums, they will be the last major threat eliminated.

Spoiler:
Perhaps Cersei's intentions of betrayal are revealed by Jamie and results in her being captured . She demands a trial by combat with the Mountain as her champion. This leads to us finally getting Clegane Bowl. Sandor wins but is dealt a mortal wound. Cersei is sentenced to death but Jamie shows up and acts as though he will free her like he did with Tyrion. Instead he strangles her himself as only he wanted to kill her. I'm sure we'll find out she either isn't pregnant or was banged by Euron, and this drives Jamie to action.
Old 09-10-17, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Anyone else not really feeling the night king and the zombie army as much of a villian ?

Yes they are powerful, but i just don't feel anything when any of them get killed, they are just so generic

There has been no proper backstory set up and no real demonstration of personality or evil other than their animal instincts to kill
Good points.

What's the Night King's motivation? What's he going to do next after everyone in the world has been converted to minions? What's he going to do for fun then?

And...even more importantly...

Old 09-11-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Anyone else not really feeling the night king and the zombie army as much of a villian ?

Yes they are powerful, but i just don't feel anything when any of them get killed, they are just so generic

There has been no proper backstory set up and no real demonstration of personality or evil other than their animal instincts to kill

Compare that to deaths of littlefinger and walder frey, you have all the emotion of the deaths they have caused
In the show they come off as Zombies and a blue super arrogant prick in the Night King. In the books they come across as ancient, magical, mystical and ultra dangerous. Even the wights don't feel like Zombies in the book, though Lady Stoneheart, the worst character in the books, does come across as one.
Old 09-11-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking back a bit, I'm puzzled by Jorah's Greyscale plotline and the reason for it. He gets it in Season 5, the disease progresses in Season 6 to the point where he has to leave Dany, but then it gets healed in Season 7. The ramifications of the cure are unknown, and with only six episodes left in the series, we may never know. He is the only living character in the series that has the disease, so there is no one left to cure. I doubt the disease can be weaponized somehow against the Army of the Dead, so what was the point of sending Jorah away on this journey? The only character of note that he met was Sam, which is neither here nor there, and he ends right up again with Dany as her advisor.

The only possible reason I can think of is that it allowed Dany & Jon to talk and bond more, but they still were able to have many discussions while Dany's other advisors (Tyrion, Grey Worm, and Missandei) were there.

And for that matter, does Missandei actually advise Dany on anything? She seems more like a translator (which is not that important now that everyone's in Westeros) and servant.
Old 09-11-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

He doesn't get greyscale in the book (another character who is not on the show does). Maybe they wanted to explore the effects. Maybe they cut the plot line short. It was an effective way to have Sam defy authority.
Old 09-11-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

It does seem kind of weird that the cure is as simple as "Peel that layer of skin off and try to deal with the pain inflicted" and yet in the history of the realm, it has only been done twice.
Old 09-11-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Judging by Pycelle, the Maesters of Westeros seem more interested in banging whores than touching icky greyscale stuff.
Old 09-12-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It dawned on me while watching season 3 last night. They spend 2 plus seasons with Robb fighting a war with no payoff, meanwhile Jon spends about the same amount of time north of the wall doing nothing. As it turns out Jon's journey is important to the climax of the show while Robb's journey doesn't mean a thing. That got me thinking that the show is called "Game of Thrones". Everything that happens that has to do with the throne is simply a game with no bearing on anything. My mind is blown...
Old 09-12-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
It dawned on me while watching season 3 last night. They spend 2 plus seasons with Robb fighting a war with no payoff, meanwhile Jon spends about the same amount of time north of the wall doing nothing. As it turns out Jon's journey is important to the climax of the show while Robb's journey doesn't mean a thing. That got me thinking that the show is called "Game of Thrones". Everything that happens that has to do with the throne is simply a game with no bearing on anything. My mind is blown...
I think of Robb Stark (and especially Ned Stark) as false protagonists to shock the audience when they were killed off. The first book and the first season had Ned front and centre, so it was a shock when he got axed. The show pushed Robb hard in the 2nd and 3rd seasons as the heir that took up Ned's mantle, only to take him out too.

Meanwhile, the true protagonist Jon Snow was up in the North, developing slowly on his journey, both external and internal, with the author/showrunners knowing full well that he was in it for the long haul.

I find it funny that in 7 seasons of scheming, plotting, double-crosses, and epic battles, a Lannister (or useless Robert) has been sitting on the throne the entire time. The "good guys" have yet to take it!

Last edited by Defiant1; 09-12-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 06:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like multiple endings are being filmed to throw people off the scent for spoiers

This is great for bluray extras !
Old 04-14-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by parker63
Poor Dany, how embarrassing. When she finds out that Jon is actually her nephew, she's gonna have a lot of Aegon her face.

Can’t believe no one responded to this brilliant remark.