Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I cannot believe that Photobucket removed free 3rd party hosting. I guess I need to edit ALL my lists with the pictures moved to a different service. Is there a picture hosting site that's more preferred or popular in use here?
Originally Posted by Trevor
Need to do the same. Almost cry looking back at old threads and seeing all the missing pics. Heard several mentioned around the forum the past few months, but not sure if there is a consensus.
Originally Posted by mallratcal
Use Imgur. It's free and the most popular. Plus I don't think there is any limit to how many pics you upload or there size.

http://imgur.com/

I'm in the same boat. I got set up on imgur too, and it seems to do the trick, but going back to edit all my lists is a pretty daunting task. I may never get around to doing it.
Old 09-05-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

So this is kind of off topic, I'll be limiting my pumpkin/fall beer this year. So does anyone have any good recommendations for any good fall coffee blends? I would like to try something different to go along with my horror movie watching.
Old 09-05-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So this is kind of off topic, I'll be limiting my pumpkin/fall beer this year. So does anyone have any good recommendations for any good fall coffee blends? I would like to try something different to go along with my horror movie watching.
I enjoy the Coffemate pumpkin spice creamer. It makes a delicious coffee.
Old 09-05-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I like some pumpkin spice stuff, but I don't know if the creamer sounds all that good.
Old 09-05-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mallratcal
Use Imgur. It's free and the most popular. Plus I don't think there is any limit to how many pics you upload or there size.

http://imgur.com/
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm trying to keep up with the changes this year. Bad enough with Photobucket charging for 3rd party hosting, I believe physical Fangoria is back(?), our loss of horror icons, and Horror Block (Nerd Block, Fan Block, etc.) filed bankruptcy. I actually kinda wanted to give them a try since they included Rue Morgue.
Old 09-05-17, 09:05 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I hadn't heard about the bankruptcy, damn! I was going to resubscribe. I went with Horror Block for a couple of years, for me it was worth it for Rue Morgue alone, as it's $10 an issue here, so for $5 bucks more it was a good deal. And if there was no issue of Rue Morgue they would substitute an issue of Fangoria. Some of the extras were pretty neat and it always assured I had something to give the nieces and nephews when I'd see them.
Old 09-05-17, 09:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm trying to keep up with the changes this year. Bad enough with Photobucket charging for 3rd party hosting, I believe physical Fangoria is back(?), our loss of horror icons, and Horror Block (Nerd Block, Fan Block, etc.) filed bankruptcy. I actually kinda wanted to give them a try since they included Rue Morgue.
Crap. So that's why my Comic Block hasn't been coming?
Old 09-05-17, 11:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Thank you! And not quite, I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% - 75% of them. Staring at all that poster art has definitely encouraged me to watch quite a few of them for the challenge, that's for sure.
One year, my goal will be to watch all of the movies on your banner for the challenge.
Old 09-05-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

There's HorrorPack. I can give you a code to get a discount
Old 09-06-17, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, it's been a while. I'm back for lucky thirteen, but the true challenge seems to be finding ninety minutes to watch a horror movie (let alone any movie) these days. Even though I hardly have time to watch movies, I still find myself going to bargain stores like Dollar General and picking up cheap horror DVD sets around this time of year. Just the other month, I found a couple of "Big Box of Horror" sets from Echo Bridge for $3.74 at Wal-Mart and decided to roll the dice. I don't know how many duplicate copies of old horror movies that have entered the public domain I own, but I'm pretty sure Echo Bridge is responsible for all of them.
Old 09-06-17, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
Boy, it's been a while. I'm back for lucky thirteen, but the true challenge seems to be finding ninety minutes to watch a horror movie (let alone any movie) these days. Even though I hardly have time to watch movies, I still find myself going to bargain stores like Dollar General and picking up cheap horror DVD sets around this time of year. Just the other month, I found a couple of "Big Box of Horror" sets from Echo Bridge for $3.74 at Wal-Mart and decided to roll the dice. I don't know how many duplicate copies of old horror movies that have entered the public domain I own, but I'm pretty sure Echo Bridge is responsible for all of them.
I got one of those sets at Wal-Mart too. One of the movies on there was Vincent Price's Last Man On Earth. Looking forward to finishing my Puppet Master set, and working on my Universal Legacy Collections too.
Old 09-06-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I was very sad that Horror Block died. For those who had active subscriptions, check to see if you were charged in July because almost no one received boxes or refunds. Also, Rue Morgue did have some type of Horror Block special if you want to subscribe, although I don't recall the exact details. I looked forward to that magazine every month, so I decided to show my support and subscribed.

Fangoria is back in physical form? I had no idea. I might consider a subscription to that as well.
Old 09-06-17, 11:29 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 3 of the Rue Morgue special issues. A Graphic History of Horror Comics, Cryptic Collectibles and Horror Movie Heroes. The specials are the best things to have ever came with the Horror Block.
Old 09-06-17, 12:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
I was very sad that Horror Block died. For those who had active subscriptions, check to see if you were charged in July because almost no one received boxes or refunds. Also, Rue Morgue did have some type of Horror Block special if you want to subscribe, although I don't recall the exact details. I looked forward to that magazine every month, so I decided to show my support and subscribed.

Fangoria is back in physical form? I had no idea. I might consider a subscription to that as well.
I was using Horror Block to introduce my kids to different characters without freaking them out entirely so we were all really disappointed. I ended up having to complain to my credit card company and get a refund that way for July.

I'm trying out Fright Crate this month for the first time, but I don't think it comes with a magazine.
Old 09-06-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I was using Horror Block to introduce my kids to different characters without freaking them out entirely so we were all really disappointed. I ended up having to complain to my credit card company and get a refund that way for July.

I'm trying out Fright Crate this month for the first time, but I don't think it comes with a magazine.
Let us know what you think of it. I really enjoyed my monthly box of horror surprises. I'm considering trying another one. I know Loot Crate is supposed to be the giant in the monthly subscription box sector, but I don't think they have a strictly horror themed one.

Last edited by clckworang; 09-06-17 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm still bummed about Horror Block. I have about 5 unopened DVDS from them that i specifically saved for October and was hoping to continue that tradition. Oh well.
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I like some pumpkin spice stuff, but I don't know if the creamer sounds all that good.
I tried McDonalds Pumpkin latte last year. My stomach was not prepared for that
Old 09-06-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

It's not back in any form. Dusting off old back issues is sadly your only option. They've been completely ignoring refund requests for both it and Gorezone for months now. Even if they did miraculously pull it off somehow, well, all the talented staff that made the magazine what it is were either fired or jumped ship, so what's the point really? Their loss and Rue Morgue's gain.
Old 09-06-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Crap. So that's why my Comic Block hasn't been coming?
If its parent company is Fan Block, then yes.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...ion-nycc-150k/

Originally Posted by jacob_b
That's the monthly movie subscription, correct? I wasn't impressed with their offerings last I checked a year ago, all stuff I could get at Dollar General for much less. I'll take another look though.

Not sure if it's newsstands or direct sales. But their website shows a physical AND digital copy that can be ordered. Might check my bookstore today though.

EDIT: My bad, they show last year's issue as the latest. Still gone. Sorry to confuse.

Originally Posted by Chad
It's not back in any form. Dusting off old back issues is sadly your only option. They've been completely ignoring refund requests for both it and Gorezone for months now. Even if they did miraculously pull it off somehow, well, all the talented staff that made the magazine what it is were either fired or jumped ship, so what's the point really? Their loss and Rue Morgue's gain.
I'm 100% behind Rue Morgue. Closest you can get to classic Fangoria right now would be Delirium I suppose.

Last edited by Dick Laurent; 09-06-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Pumpkin spice is not a craze that needs to last. I love the season, but if Starbucks etc starts to become the symbol of fall then we are in for a hard road. As a kid I don't remember there being as much emphasis on pumpkin flavored 'xyz' crap as there is now. It was cute at first but the pumpkin spice fade doesn't know when to stop.

Spoiler:

Edit: Most of these are fake... but still parody makes the point.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-07-17 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Horror Pack is pretty uneven. The exclusives are nice, and aside from the exclusives, I've received quite a few titles I didn't have. However, I have also received movies I do own and some pretty bad ones as well. Overall, I enjoy it and will continue to stick with it.

To this point, I think I've only watched two of the exclusives. Dolly Deadly had a very low budget - and it showed - but it kept me interested. Killer Pinata was the one my friends clamored to watch. It's also very low budget and clearly has a silly premise, but my friends and I thought it was a lot of fun in a goofy bad movie sort of way.
Old 09-06-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I think I'll give it a try, at least for a little bit. I appreciate if you can send me that coupon code. Thanks!
Old 09-06-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Pumpkin ale is one of my favorite things in the world, don't take that away from me, you monsters!
Old 09-06-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Pumpkin ale is one of my favorite things in the world, don't take that away from me, you monsters!
Indeed. You want see me eating pumpkin anytime soon but I am already drinking pumpkin ales. Additionally my home brew batch this season is Smashing Pumpkin Ale. Hope it's good because I have 45 bottles of it in my future.
Old 09-06-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Indeed. You want see me eating pumpkin anytime soon but I am already drinking pumpkin ales. Additionally my home brew batch this season is Smashing Pumpkin Ale. Hope it's good because I have 45 bottles of it in my future.
Hope it turns out well! The local stores started stocking pumpkin ales a couple of weekends ago, I feel like a kid on Christmas when I see the first six packs go up in late August. And we've had unseasonably cool, gloomy, and rainy weather lately so it really felt like Autumn came early.
Old 09-06-17, 10:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Here's the subscription special:
https://www.rue-morgue.com/product/h...ription-offer/

Decent deal I guess. For the regular $50 six issue subscription price, you also get one of their $15 library books free.
https://www.rue-morgue.com/product/r...-movie-heroes/
Originally Posted by PCBreakdown

Looked at some Fright Crate unboxing videos and it looks like it's all toys and doodads and no magazines or movies.
Horror Pack is pretty uneven. The exclusives are nice, and aside from the exclusives, I've received quite a few titles I didn't have. However, I have also received movies I do own and some pretty bad ones as well. Overall, I enjoy it and will continue to stick with it.

To this point, I think I've only watched two of the exclusives. Dolly Deadly had a very low budget - and it showed - but it kept me interested. Killer Pinata was the one my friends clamored to watch. It's also very low budget and clearly has a silly premise, but my friends and I thought it was a lot of fun in a goofy bad movie sort of way.
Yeah, I'm a couple months into a year subscription, and think I'll end up regretting it. Only one title I already owned so far, but nothing looks like anything I'd be happy paying more than $5-10 for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.