Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 09:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Shout Factory has a 30% off linewide 'Back to School' sale on their website, excludes some preorders and new releases ('...of the Deads').
Crap. Hard for me to resist Scream Factory sales.
Old 08-29-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by mallratcal
Ah yes. I believe that was it. Thanks!
Old 08-30-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I want to help recommend some epic scary movies but I struggle with thinking of ones that are really tense. I tend to enjoy a lot of horror on a 'dark humor' level or appreciate the surreal qualities but not end up feeling goosebumps over them. The scariest movie, for me, I can readily think of is the original Blair Witch Project (1999).

Here's a quick 'top 10 scariest' list (in no particular order, your mileage may vary):
I Am The Ghost (twisted imagery honestly gave me a nightmare)
Grave Encounters 1 (cartoonish but I'm a sucker for abandoned buildings)
The Eye (2002)
Darling
Here Comes the Devil
Absentia
Theatre Bizzare
[Rec] 1-2 (really should be seen back to back as '1 film' for best experience)
Mischief Night
Ringu
I enjoyed Rec and Grave Encounters as well as Blair Witch. Your vote for Absentia has me a bit worried (lol) as I thought it was overhyped, but since you did name some good ones, I'll give the rest of the ones I haven't seen a shot. Thanks!

Anyone else?

Originally Posted by shadokitty
This was the first time in years I'd seen it, but I want to say, "I love the ending of The Devil's Rejects." That is all.
Such a badass ending. For all the crap Rob Zombie gets, he does have some nice surprises in his movies including this ending.
Old 08-30-17, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I enjoyed Rec and Grave Encounters as well as Blair Witch. Your vote for Absentia has me a bit worried (lol) as I thought it was overhyped, but since you did name some good ones, I'll give the rest of the ones I haven't seen a shot. Thanks!

Anyone else?
If you don't mind subtitles, Under the Shadow scared the crap out of me. Could barely walk to my car after seeing it in the theater... of course it was midnight and 4 blocks away on quiet streets, but still... And typically movies don't scare me.
Old 08-30-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Your vote for Absentia has me a bit worried (lol) as I thought it was overhyped....
It's hard to disagree that Absentia is overhyped (wow did the internet ever build this movie up) but for me it executed a few ideas especially well.

**Heavy Abesentia spoilers**
Spoiler:
The idea of something hunting us just out of reach, not an immediate ghost stuck in our reality or a tangible demon but a strange beyond invisible thing is haunting and nicely metaphysical. I really liked the 'magical realism' mix of the urban setting and mystical with the husband trapped so close to his house/wife. It takes some of the boogeyman/haunting tropes and magnifies them in a smart way. It's not a perfect movie, the premise demands odd narrative exposition to somehow reveal this unknowable and perhaps too far out omnipotent thing and acting isnt top notch, but it hit some of the right notes for me.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-30-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Anyone else?

Such a badass ending. For all the crap Rob Zombie gets, he does have some nice surprises in his movies including this ending.
Got to give Absentia a look. I started Darling a few months back, but stopped because I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I'll give it a go this time around.

Under the Shadow freaked me out a bit also.

Ah, Rob Zombie! I get two of those earlier movies mixed up all the time. One I liked, and the other I didn't. If I wasn't so ambivalent about Rob I would try to figure out which is which, but....
Old 08-30-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I didn't know Absentia was hyped on the internet. I just saw it on Netflix one day and gave it a shot. I though it was a really interesting and creepy indie horror, and I've enjoyed all of the subsequent films from that director as well.
Old 08-30-17, 03:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladz
Hi-Def Ninja put up 3 special editions of the upcoming Synapse Suspiria blu-ray for pre-order yesterday. The one with artwork from Matt Ryan Tobin is sold out, but the other 2 are still available. Each edition is limited to 200 and they're numbered. I ordered the Dark Inker edition and it came out to about $64 with shipping, which is $14 more than the standard edition from Synapse, but I think it's well worth it, and the slipbox is nice to have for protecting the steelbook. Here's the link to order... https://shop.hidefninja.com/products...nt=40814848197
I was lucky enough to grab the Matt Ryan Tobin version - I even set an alarm for 8am on Saturday to be sure I woke up in time! I also have the HDN exclusives for Tenebre and Phenomena, so getting this one was a no-brainer. However, the Synapse version does come with a slipcover featuring the poster art, and that looks gorgeous as well:

Last edited by cwileyy; 08-31-17 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

One thing I'm looking forward to in October is Never Sleep Again. A few months ago it was on sale on the Xbox store, so I grabbed it. Maybe I'll revisit Crystal Lake Memories as well. I didn't get mine from the place that sold the 8 hour version, I think it is between 6 1/2 - 7 hours. So would that be three entries? Or should I go by one entry per disc?
Old 08-30-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
If you don't mind subtitles, Under the Shadow scared the crap out of me. Could barely walk to my car after seeing it in the theater... of course it was midnight and 4 blocks away on quiet streets, but still... And typically movies don't scare me.
I've had Under the Shadow loaded up in my Netflix queue all month, waiting for this October

Has anyone seen the Polish wedding horror Demon? It has really good reviews at Rotten Tomatoes and Amazon Prime has it free. Another one I've been holding off for the challenge.

At the start of last October, I began a giant viewing project of working through Dark Shadows (the 60s original). Managing about 10 episodes a week in the horror "off season", I'm up to episode 483 now (aired originally in early 1968). But I'm planning on upping that for October and getting in at least another 100 episodes for the challenge. The show just finished their big 1795 time travel story a couple of weeks ago. It's amazing how much the pacing of the show has picked up ... I can't even be sure (without checking) what the Friday episodes are because it seems like big events and cliffhangers can occur on any day of the week. The flashback seems to have invigorated everyone on both sides of the camera. Not to mention that it allowed for the leeway of piling up a huge body count without having to worry about permanently killing off the entire cast. Even being back in the present-time (well, 1968 that is), the show is continuing to embrace the reality that it's a full-blown horror/monster show (and not a soap opera where one of the characters just happens to be a vampire). That's reflected in the fact that in just a couple of weeks back in present-day, the big new storylines established are: Angelique the witch returning from the grave to wreak havoc on Collinwood with a dream curse; and Barnabas teaming up with Dr. Frankenstein to transplant his brain into the body of a monster stitched together from pieces of corpses (with the head from Vicky's boyfriend, of course)

I guess the downside is that I can see how the show can burn itself out in a couple of years. But as a viewer, I'd rather have a short run of glory than a longer run of mediocrity.

Last edited by brainee; 08-30-17 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I need some off the beaten path recommendations from all of you knowledgeable horror hounds, preferably Blu-ray but am open to DVD. I'm familiar with and own much from Severin, Scream Factory, Synapse and Vinegar Syndrome. I was looking at buying some Code Red titles and maybe some lesser known labels or films, the kind of stuff Diabolik DVD would carry but other retailers might not.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
I need some off the beaten path recommendations from all of you knowledgeable horror hounds, preferably Blu-ray but am open to DVD. I'm familiar with and own much from Severin, Scream Factory, Synapse and Vinegar Syndrome. I was looking at buying some Code Red titles and maybe some lesser known labels or films, the kind of stuff Diabolik DVD would carry but other retailers might not.

Any suggestions?
If you like slashers I highly recommend Just Before Dawn. If you like atmospheric 70s horror I'd go with Messiah of Evil. Neon Maniacs is a fun 80s monster movie set in San Francisco. The rest of the titles are much more subjective and might depend on what type of horror films you prefer. You also might want to check out Scorpion Releasing run by Code Run operator Bill Olsen's brother. The House on Sorority Row is a really great slasher released by them.
Old 08-30-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love slashers. It's probably my favorite horror subgenre. Just Before Dawn was one I was considering. Good to hear some positive feedback. Messiah of Evil was on the short list as well. Have you seen The Redeemer?

I know most of the films on these labels will be wildly subjective, but I have friends who love to watch these kind of movies so I know they will for sure get watched and be a fun night.
Old 08-30-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love slashers. It's probably my favorite horror subgenre. Just Before Dawn was one I was considering. Good to hear some positive feedback. Messiah of Evil was on the short list as well. Have you seen The Redeemer?

I know most of the films on these labels will be wildly subjective, but I have friends who love to watch these kind of movies so I know they will for sure get watched and be a fun night.
Just Before Dawn is a must for slasher fans, Messiah of Evil is a safe blind buy as well. I liked the Redeemer, it's like an early proto-slasher but with more of a surreal, end of days atmosphere and can be kind of weird, but not in a bad way. It's a bit divisive among Code Red fans, but I thought it was enjoyable.
Old 08-30-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Any suggestions?
I use to follow Code Red's releases better than I'm financially able to right now; I'm not sure about some of their newer releases or what's currently available. Code Red's Nail Gun Massacre blu-ray is a fun release, the sort of b-movie that doesn't take itself seriously but isn't obnoxiously self aware. Code Red's Mary Mary Bloody Mary is probably one of my favorite releases they issued, it's a modern neo-vampire film with an intelligent script steeped in eurohorror vibes.

Mondo Macabro's Devil's Business release is a more subdued slow burn film that's been compared to Kill.List (which I haven't seen) about 2 hitmen who break into a house for an assassination that they maybe shouldn't have, it's atmospheric and character driven.

Camp Motion Pictures' blu-ray for Call Girl of Cthulhu is dumb Troma style fun; an your face mix of low budget design, gore splatter, and Lovecraft antics with a good mix of low brow sex jokes combined with tentacle horror for really weird body horror splatter.

Cult Epic's release of In a Glass Cage is a searing intense murder drama with an odd premise and arthouse style; maybe not for everyone.
...Have you seen The Redeemer?
I thought The Redeemer was average, it's got a great killer but sometimes the pacing feels odd and random.
Old 08-31-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice. Thanks for the recommendations, Undeadcow. You also hit on a couple I was considering. I seem to recall from previous challenge discussions that our horror tastes overlap a lot, so the input is much appreciated. Plus, you're in Texas. That has to count for something.

That's the kicker on these labels. The titles are often so expensive and rarely go on sale. Then you have to navigate the store exclusive thing. I get why it would be necessary for a smaller niche label to do this, but it can still be a challenge for the consumer.

On my must list so far are: Just Before Dawn, Messiah of Evil, Nail Gun Massacre, and Mary Mary Bloody Mary. Still debating a few more titles that I might wait to purchase next month.
Old 08-31-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So excited for another year of this! Crazy that I've been doing this since 2005.
Old 08-31-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

On my must list so far are: Just Before Dawn, Messiah of Evil, Nail Gun Massacre, and Mary Mary Bloody Mary. Still debating a few more titles that I might wait to purchase next month.
Messiah of Evil blew me away when I first watched it, when I went in with zero expectations.

Looking at the Code Red list there were a couple of other titles I liked. It's been a while, but I remember thinking The Carrier was pretty good. And I've watched People Who Own the Dark for a recent horror challenge. An interesting mix of Night of the Living Dead and Day of the Triffids, and worthwhile for fans of 70s Eurohorror.
Old 08-31-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice. Thanks for the recommendations, Undeadcow. You also hit on a couple I was considering. I seem to recall from previous challenge discussions that our horror tastes overlap a lot, so the input is much appreciated. Plus, you're in Texas. That has to count for something.

That's the kicker on these labels. The titles are often so expensive and rarely go on sale. Then you have to navigate the store exclusive thing. I get why it would be necessary for a smaller niche label to do this, but it can still be a challenge for the consumer.

I remember watching a beat up copy of Clavaire many years ago. It's a movie that has really stuck with me through the years. Recently, we got SlingTV, and I found it streaming on one of those art movie channels one night. The print looked great and I was still affected by some of the strange imagery.
Old 08-31-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I didn't know Absentia was hyped on the internet. I just saw it on Netflix one day and gave it a shot. I though it was a really interesting and creepy indie horror, and I've enjoyed all of the subsequent films from that director as well.
I remember Absentia getting praise here, but I don't recall much hubbub about it on other forums. I remember being astonished at how good it was when I watched it for the challenge a few years ago. You don't find many innovative ideas in horror films, just different modes of the same monsters. Tired of slow zombies, here are fast zombies!

Spoiler
Spoiler:

but the concept of an intelligent, extradimensional insect kidnapping humans for arcane purposes as a metaphor for grief was handled excellently.
Old 08-31-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
I remember Absentia getting praise here, but I don't recall much hubbub about it on other forums. I remember being astonished at how good it was when I watched it for the challenge a few years ago. You don't find many innovative ideas in horror films, just different modes of the same monsters. Tired of slow zombies, here are fast zombies!

Spoiler
Spoiler:

but the concept of an intelligent, extradimensional insect kidnapping humans for arcane purposes as a metaphor for grief was handled excellently.
Yes! I did see Absentia. I did really like it, but didn't know the name. This one really didn't catch up with me until the end.
Old 08-31-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I remember watching a beat up copy of Clavaire many years ago. It's a movie that has really stuck with me through the years. Recently, we got SlingTV, and I found it streaming on one of those art movie channels one night. The print looked great and I was still affected by some of the strange imagery.
One of my streaming cable plans is SlingTV. I'll have to look for that movie sometime.
Old 08-31-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The countdown has officially begun for me. Starting tomorrow, I'll be counting the days.
Old 08-31-17, 02:37 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice. Thanks for the recommendations, Undeadcow.

Arrow release of The Slayer and The blue Underground release of Amsterdamnned would be my two suggestions
Old 08-31-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Oh, I've seen that one! I think I recorded it off Showtime one year. It's definitely a weird and disturbing movie. I remember liking it, but I can see where the slow pace might be too much for some people. That might be one worth revisiting in October.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.