TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E04) -- "The Spoils of War" -- 8/6/17

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E04) -- "The Spoils of War" -- 8/6/17

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I have to agree with you and started to type a similarly-themed post a couple of times. The cave drawing thing was pretty awful, in particular. Perhaps described in a book it will be fine, but the way the show handled it, a combination of really bad set design and ham-fisted writing, was just awful.

The laughable Dany/Dothraki tactics was another. As pointed out, why in the hell did Dany just not enfilade the Lannister lines? That aside, she created a huge breach in their line and while some of the Dothraki were wise enough to pour into the breach, most of them kept charging headlong into a wall of shields and spears. I guess they should have watched Braveheart before the battle.

My personal favorite was the final image of the episode. Jamie was tackled off of his horse from the shore of either a lake or a very calm inlet. Which means, at most, he would have landed ten feet into the water. Yet the camera shows him sinking down into the murky depths of what should have probably only been 4-5 feet of water tops in just about anything but a quarry pond.

It's Game of Thrones. I am sucked in and I freely admit it, but some of the writing, in this season in particular, has been pretty bad.
This is what happens when you start writing something and then get distracted, so meanwhile someone points out everything that you were going to say. All the points above are completely true. I don't mind some gaps in logic or sense now and again, but this episode had a mindboggling amount. Trying to dismiss them because it is a fantasy show is incredible silly. No matter what type of show it is, there should be internal consistency.
Old 08-07-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I think the reason she only brought Drogon is that he is the only one she can ride. I think the other two will need their own rider. Though I'm sure CGI cost also played a part. That's the main reason why we haven't seen Ghost in forever. I can't believe they cut him from the Battle of the Bastards due to CGI cost. They said they could either have a giant or Ghost.
Old 08-07-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Mets starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard had a cameo as a member of the Lannister army. They may not be great in battle but they do a good job of recruiting celebrities.

http://sports.nbcsports.com/2017/08/...f:nbcnews:text
They should have had him go after Dany and Drogon with the scorpion instead of Bronn. He's good at taking shots at Royals.

Old 08-07-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

^ Nice.
Old 08-07-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonX
Why would the Dothraki horde charge in? because the Dothraki arent tacticians. Why wouldn't Dany bring all three dragons? because she can only ride one? or the larger picture CGI costs. Either way there are two examples. How is it that Jaime gets knocked off his horse while charging, into water that is that deep? I take that scene as a "oh shit really hit the fan, its over" and not him actually sinking in 100+ feet of water. How is it that being under a few feet of water protects him and Bron from dragonfire? maybe cuz Drogon aimed above the water. Though, Im sure they felt the heat. Either way its a fantasy show. lol
Old 08-07-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
He's actually lying on his back in a foot of water with his nose and mouth sticking out. And Bron's (or Dickon's) big toe tickling his ear.
Add to that, Jaime was wearing armor. A full grown man wearing armor does not simply get launched off of the side of his horse by another man jumping into him. Worse yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that the person that saved him was actually Tyrion. Hopefully they come up with a slightly reasonable explanation as to how he could have launched several hundred pounds of big brother and armor off of his horse and into the lake.
Old 08-07-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm glad they made the dragons somewhat vulnerable, so it atleast makes Dany think about her next move. My whole worry about the show for the past few seasons is that she would be like the Golden State Warriors just mowing through the playoffs. Cersei atleast found someone who can cover the three dragons (Durant, Curry and Thompson)!
Old 08-07-17, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Cersei atleast found someone who can cover the three dragons (Durant, Curry and Thompson)!
LeBronn.

Old 08-07-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Add to that, Jaime was wearing armor. A full grown man wearing armor does not simply get launched off of the side of his horse by another man jumping into him. Worse yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that the person that saved him was actually Tyrion. Hopefully they come up with a slightly reasonable explanation as to how he could have launched several hundred pounds of big brother and armor off of his horse and into the lake.

Don't think it was Tyrion -- he would have bounced right off. It was either Bronn or Dickon.
Old 08-07-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't think it was Tyrion -- he would have bounced right off. It was either Bronn or Dickon.
Yeah, and about the only thing we did see was the normal height of the person.

LeBronn.

Old 08-07-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Ah, never mind. It's confirmed.

It was Bronn.

http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/...bronn/2037850/
Old 08-07-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's Game of Thrones. I am sucked in and I freely admit it, but some of the writing, in this season in particular, has been pretty bad.
I'm torn between being pleased we'll actually get to see the end of the story in my lifetime versus suffering through the degrading quality now that they don't have Martin's richer writing to better guide them.

This is why GRRM doesn't give a shit if the show spoils the end result. He knows people will still read the books (if he ever shits them out) because the detail and writing will be much, much better.
Old 08-07-17, 11:18 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly assumed it was Bronn. You'd have to be pretty desperate or crazy to make that move, and Jamie is his meal ticket.
Old 08-07-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

You know how when a book ends they start wrapping things up? That's what's happening here. There is so much left to do that they have to start bringing these characters together. And I for one am loving it.
Old 08-07-17, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
The visual fidelity of that scene was beyond many feature movies. They clearly used different (i am assuming higher resolution) cameras for that scene.
Thank you! I just got a new receiver and I told my wife "either this has an amazing video processor or this episode was shot differently". I even noticed on the wide shots at the beginning with Jon and Davos talking to Dany's advisor.
Old 08-07-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm sure the reason she only brought one dragon is because they have to be ridden to be controlled that specifically/carefully.

I'm really hoping we get to see Dany, Tyrion and Jon all riding dragons by the end of the show.
Old 08-07-17, 11:38 AM

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was actually Tyrion, only that Tyrion somehow was the one that saved him. Maybe he talked the Dothraki guy sitting next to him into doing it, who knows?

Kind of hard to argue with the pictures at WSB's linked article though. It was LeBronn.
Old 08-07-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

I didn't read that link saying it was Bronn, but it was someone on a white horse. And shortly before that event, Bronn was on the ground and saw a white horse (they made a point of showing us that). And every picture of Dickon I can find has him on a brown horse (although he was on foot the last time we saw him, saving Jamie).

We know Jamie can't die this way, but I hope they at least make him a prisoner, because there's no way he can escape.
Old 08-07-17, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I'm torn between being pleased we'll actually get to see the end of the story in my lifetime versus suffering through the degrading quality now that they don't have Martin's richer writing to better guide them.
Agreed.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of the show, but it's a shell of what it once was, mainly due to the writers/show-runners pandering to the audience and no more GRRM material to draw from. The show has gone Walking Dead-level dumb with its resistance to killing off major characters (a hallmark of earlier seasons) and its complete ignoring of a geography (that they even highlight in opening credits). Between the hurried pace, the lame and out-of-character one-liners and quips (which is all Davos seems to be used for this season...despite taking shelter at a place where he witnessed Stannis's daughter being burned alive...where the hell did the gravitas go??), the geography fails, the shitty acting, and the overall smallness of this season, I'm enjoying it a lot less than prior year installments.

But having said all that, it's still the most entertaining show on TV (perhaps ever).

Last edited by TimeandTide; 08-07-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
We know Jamie can't die this way...
Yup. I seem to recall Oleanna saying something to the effect of "Cersei will be the death of you" to Jaime. I am pretty sure that prophecy will come true in one way or another, and in a more direct fashion that simply fighting on her behalf.
Old 08-07-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Agreed.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of the show, but it's a shell of what it once was, mainly due to the writers/show-runners pandering to the audience and no more GRRM material to draw from. The show has gone Walking Dead-level dumb with its resistance to killing off major characters (a hallmark of earlier seasons) and its complete ignoring of a geography (that they even highlight in opening credits). Between the hurried pace, the lame and out-of-character one-liners and quips (which is all Davos seems to be used for this season...despite taking shelter at a place where he witnessed Stannis's daughter being burned alive...where the hell did the gravitas go??), the geography fails, the shitty acting, and the overall smallness of this season, I'm enjoying it a lot less than prior year installments.

But having said all that, it's still the most entertaining show on TV (perhaps ever).
Shireen wasn't burned to death at Dragonstone.

The ignoring geography is the most annoying part to me, but OTOH it is also fantastic to see the storylines come together. Contrary to what you seem to think, that part isn't pandering, it's storytelling. That's what you do when you write a complex story, you have different lines and towards the end of the overall story, those lines start to intertwine. If they didn't, what's the point? If Arya died somewhere out on the road, John got killed fighting the Night King at the wall, Cersei rules Kings Landing, and Dany and her dragons do something, Sansa lives her days as Lady Stark, maybe marries Littlefinger. Is that what you want?
Old 08-07-17, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that what you want?
You're right. Regardless, Davos has become little more than comic relief and doesn't at all exhibit the qualities that made him so endearing in season's past.

Also, I get that part of the joy of this season is witnessing all of these storylines and characters come together. I loved the reunion of Sansa and Arya, and even Theon's appearance on the beach was a moving, exceptional scene. But Bronn only survives in that scene because the audience loves Bronn. Ditto with Jamie, The Hound, Arya, Sansa, Podrick, Brienne, Sam, Jon, Tyrion, Davos, Melissandre (sp?)...they've become so beloved that they're as invincible now as the leads in Walking Dead, which totally eliminates the suspense from prior seasons. And no, it's not just killing characters to provoke next-day water cooler talk...it's reinforcing the idea that in this violent, turbulent world filled with assassins and intrigue, that no one is safe. Total fan service at the expense of the brutal "realism" this show was built on.
Old 08-07-17, 12:08 PM

I asked before : Why do you guys think Littlefinger gave Bran his would-be assassin's priceless dagger?

I forget : Did he give it to him before or after that "Chaos is a Ladder" line? Before, right?
Old 08-07-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Jesus Christ with the geography/traveling complaints. They just aren't showing the traveling. Weeks are passing. The show has ALWAYS been that way. I think it took Robert a month to get to Winterfell from King's Landing in the 1st season. They didn't show the whole journey.

As for characters like Bronn - he's already been around for a long time and survived lots of things that could have killed him. Just because he survived this particular battle too, now it's bad?
Old 08-07-17, 12:15 PM

I keep reading Shireen
and think Sheeran.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.