Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 07:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I believe Mothra is a puppet, so that would make my Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy eligible, right?
Puppet or CGI you're safe.

But if that's a real giant moth it won't count.
Old 08-02-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

I'll have to do research to see if they found a real giant moth
Old 08-02-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was watching Teen Titans Go! and noticed both episodes were about characters changing. In 'Caged Tiger', Dr. Light became good. And even better, because I love it when good characters go bad, in 'Nose Mouth', Raven let her dark side take over.
Old 08-02-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Bought a copy of Shin Godzilla last night... Can't wait to watch it! Also bought Colossal and the new Ghost in the Shell. Is it possible all three may qualify?
Old 08-02-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Observations about Jem and the Holograms:

1. Hannah Montana is basically Jem without computers or diversity.

2. Handyman Rio Pacheco is one of the most ineffective, whiniest love interests I've encountered in a long time. He is truly the Willie Scott of the series.

3. Why aren't The Misfits prosecuted and sent to prison? They have destroyed so much personal property and endangered the lives of millionaires, fans, orphans, and foreign dignitaries. I mean they attempt to run a rival music executive over with a bulldozer and almost kill a yacht-full of European royalty and cause an oil tanker disaster. Where are the police?!?

4. I wish I had seen the show as a kid. I've always been drawn to musicals and high melodrama. Little me would have loved this!
Old 08-02-17, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
Bought a copy of Shin Godzilla last night... Can't wait to watch it! Also bought Colossal and the new Ghost in the Shell. Is it possible all three may qualify?
I've seen Shin Godzilla and Ghost in the Shell and am pretty confident that both contain enough CGI (included entire animated characters) to qualify. I hope you love the former as much as I did, and I hope you have the opposite reaction to the latter that I had!
Old 08-02-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I've seen Shin Godzilla and Ghost in the Shell and am pretty confident that both contain enough CGI (included entire animated characters) to qualify. I hope you love the former as much as I did, and I hope you have the opposite reaction to the latter that I had!
LOL! Well thank you for your positive thoughts!
Old 08-03-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I believe Mothra is a puppet, so that would make my Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy eligible, right?

lol! Yup, if it's a real moth, you can't count it. Sorry!

Prizes are picked out but I want to wait to hear back that they all have been approved before posting. There were some very good suggestions and I hope that people will be pleased with what I went with.
Old 08-03-17, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to watch my King Kong movies this month, but I'm in a quandary. Do I start with the original 1933 King Kong, or do I save that for the crossover period with the Criterion Collection Challenge?
Old 08-03-17, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I plan to watch my King Kong movies this month, but I'm in a quandary. Do I start with the original 1933 King Kong, or do I save that for the crossover period with the Criterion Collection Challenge?
Never mind the Criterion Challenge. Always start with the original. It all starts with Willis O'Brien.

And make sure you watch Walter Lantz's "King Klunk," a 1933 cartoon parody of Kong.
Old 08-03-17, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Always start with the original. It all starts with Willis O'Brien's Kong.

Never mind the Criterion Challenge.
That's a good idea.
Old 08-03-17, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watch it first, then with commentary for crossover.
Old 08-03-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see others have said watch it first, but I look at it this way: The Criterion Challenge has a finite amount of movies eligible to watch. There are very few that qualify for both animation AND Criterion. So, I'd save it for the crossover period.

Originally Posted by pacaway
Watch it first, then with commentary for crossover.
Or this!
Old 08-03-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
I see others have said watch it first, but I look at it this way: The Criterion Challenge has a finite amount of movies eligible to watch. There are very few that qualify for both animation AND Criterion. So, I'd save it for the crossover period.

Or this!
That was my reasoning for wondering myself.

I got a gift card today for an early birthday present, and grabbed some great anime with it. I got digital copies of both series of Record Of Lodoss War, the complete series of Outlaw Star, and the first two Pokemon movies. Just finished watching the first episode of Record Of Lodoss War, and it was great. It reminded me of an anime Dungeons And Dragons series.
Old 08-03-17, 10:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I got digital copies of both series of Record Of Lodoss War, the complete series of Outlaw Star, and the first two Pokemon movies.
Very good choices! I did a rewatch of Outlaw Star last month with the new blu-ray sets and still enjoyed it as much as ever. The original Record of the Lodoss War OVA remains one of my top 5 or so favorite series after a couple decades since I first saw it. This actually reminds me that I need to order the blu-ray set of it and the TV series. The TV series is fun too. Believe it or not, it seems so much like Dungeons and Dragons because it was based on the original author's tabletop RPG games with his buddies.

I finally watched one of my Gundam series with a rewatch of the new DVD release of Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. This remains one of my favorite side stories in the UC timeline despite it being heartbreaking like lots of the earlier Gundam series tend to be.
Old 08-04-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Do these shark movies in SYFY's Shark Week count? They have a lot of (terrible) CGI in them.
Old 08-04-17, 07:08 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watching the underrated Tangled, fun for the whole family.
Old 08-04-17, 10:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I hadn't even thought of considering it until I read other people talking about movies with a lot of CGI in the thread, but I assume War for the Planet of the Apes would count then?
Old 08-04-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Watching the underrated Tangled, fun for the whole family.
"Frying pans, who knew?!" Love this one. It is easily in my top 2 animated Disney movies.

Originally Posted by malazar
I hadn't even thought of considering it until I read other people talking about movies with a lot of CGI in the thread, but I assume War for the Planet of the Apes would count then?
Yup, my general rule of thumb is this: if the movie is significantly CGI (50% or so) it counts. If you watch something new and realize that there isn't enough to justify considering it animated, you do get a wildcard entry. Same with movies that are half live-action, half animated. Hope this helps!
Old 08-05-17, 10:24 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
I'm taking my daughter to see it tonight. We watched the first two for the sci-fi challenge.
Old 08-05-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've started watching the Witchblade anime series. Watched the first two episodes very early this morning, since I woke up in the middle of the night. It is so far shaping up to be a good series, as the first two episodes were great.
Old 08-05-17, 09:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Stumbled upon one of my first DVDs, Animation Greats. It features several award-winning short films produced by the National Film Board of Canada. The collection is on Netflix at the moment, and the below short represents the type of humor and animation. I think this short, The Cat Came Back is perfect. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ack_(1988_film)
Old 08-06-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stumbled upon one of my first DVDs, Animation Greats. It features several award-winning short films produced by the National Film Board of Canada. The collection is on Netflix at the moment, and the below short represents the type of humor and animation. I think this short, The Cat Came Back is perfect.
Thanks for sharing. That made me laugh. I think the guy needed to invest in some SoftPaws, though! Would have saved his curtains and couch!

Watch Castle in the Sky last night late. I decided to do a project and popped it in to watch during. It was probably only my second or third viewing. It was better than I remembered but Anna Paquin's voice work didn't thrill me. She sounded very flat a lot of the times.
Old 08-06-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I enjoy about CGI making something eligible, is it allows me to watch some documentaries as well. The past few days, I've been enjoying a rewatch of Dogfights, and shows about prehistoric animals also have a lot of CGI. I think Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey has a lot of animation as well, and possibly the History Channel show, The Universe.
Old 08-06-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously, I only intended to watch three episodes of The Legend of Korra today. Then I watched the first seven episodes of the last season too. It's a very compelling show. I guess I'll have to finish up my housework tomorrow after work!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.