Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-16-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

SPIDERMAN: HOMECOMING RETRO MOVIE POSTERS

http://nerdist.com/spiderman-homecom...ller-and-more/
Old 07-17-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Again, the cast is diverse because Queens is one of the most diverse towns in the world. If the cast wasn't diverse, it would be inauthentic to the setting.
The diversity itself doesn't bother me in the least. The pandering and poor writing/characterization does. Flash, Liz, and Michelle were terribly underwritten and totally flat and one dimensional. The characters were lame, period. They took iconic characters and ruined them - not with their ethnicity, but with making the characters kind of pathetic (in Flash's case, totally pathetic).
Old 07-17-17, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The diversity itself doesn't bother me in the least. The pandering and poor writing/characterization does. Flash, Liz, and Michelle were terribly underwritten and totally flat and one dimensional. The characters were lame, period. They took iconic characters and ruined them - not with their ethnicity, but with making the characters kind of pathetic (in Flash's case, totally pathetic).
Maybe that was my problem more than the forced diversity. If Flash was a Indian and a foil to Peter maybe it wouldn't have bothered me. If Liz even for a second seemed like a legitimate love interest for Peter I wouldn't have cared what her race was. I'm not even sure why Michelle was in the movie.
Old 07-17-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

People are whining about "forced diversity" while the lead was a white guy, the villain was a white guy, the mentor was a white guy, the shlemazel was a white guy, the parental figure was a hot white chick... the horrors.
Old 07-18-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
People are whining about "forced diversity" while the lead was a white guy, the villain was a white guy, the mentor was a white guy, the shlemazel was a white guy, the parental figure was a hot white chick... the horrors.
Yeah, I AM complaining about the forced diversity - because it SUCKED. HARD.

The characters were far worse than the originals (the originals were at least halfway interesting and fun to read/watch). So tell me how this diversity that the studio and creative people forced into the story made it any better...

You can't, because almost all of the complaints about the movie are how poorly written (and, in some cases, acted) the altered characters were. This movie could have been significantly better if they hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel.

The changes didn't make the movie better, they made it worse. They COULD have made it better, but the execution was GODAWFUL. It's like they spent all their time coming up with ways to change the characters and make the movie more diverse, and then didn't give a shit as to how interesting or entertaining the changed characters were (or, more accurately, weren't).
Old 07-18-17, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

The leads in the new Star Wars movies are a black guy and a woman! The lead in the new Star Trek series is a black woman with an Asian woman captain! The Ghostbusters are all women! Peter Parker is going to school with non-white kids! The Gunslinger is black! The new Doctor Who is a woman!

What's next? A gay James Bond who's a bottom?

My GAWD, they're forcing diversity down our throats! It's an agenda! AN AGENDA!

Save us, President Trump! You're our only hope! Grab those pussies before they grabs us!
Old 07-18-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I AM complaining about the forced diversity - because it SUCKED. HARD.

The characters were far worse than the originals (the originals were at least halfway interesting and fun to read/watch). So tell me how this diversity that the studio and creative people forced into the story made it any better...

You can't, because almost all of the complaints about the movie are how poorly written (and, in some cases, acted) the altered characters were. This movie could have been significantly better if they hadn't tried to reinvent the wheel.

The changes didn't make the movie better, they made it worse. They COULD have made it better, but the execution was GODAWFUL. It's like they spent all their time coming up with ways to change the characters and make the movie more diverse, and then didn't give a shit as to how interesting or entertaining the changed characters were (or, more accurately, weren't).
And if all those roles were filled with white actors, how would they have been any better?
Old 07-18-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not speaking for anyone else that mentioned it too, but I don't think pointing out or noticing that it looked deliberate to cast actors of different races just to mix things up equates to "whining" about it or assumes that I must want more white actors cast in all of those roles. It was just an observation. Someone mentioned Power Rangers before, and I had the same thought of "oh, they needed an asian guy, a black guy, a hispanic girl, etc..."

You guys are so obnoxious
Old 07-18-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The farther I get away from this movie the worse I think it was. I still enjoyed Holland and Keaton but not much else. I hope it's just that Marvel Studios phoned it in since it wasn't really their movie, or there was too much Sony interference or anything really to explain why they made such an uninspired movie. It doesn't bode well for Black Panther or Captain Marvel.
Old 07-18-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And if all those roles were filled with white actors, how would they have been any better?
You mean if they had just continued to honor the source material and not try to reinvent the wheel for PC and marketing reasons? Maybe they could have spent the time actually working on the script for those characters rather than spending time figuring out what ethnicity they wanted to change those characters to and how they would change the personalities and characteristics of the characters. They clearly spent a fair amount of time re-imagining all those characters rather than spending that time trying to make the characters interesting.

Time is a finite resource when you're making a movie on a schedule.
Old 07-18-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They needed an Indian guy in the movie so they made him smart and not an athlete. If Flash was Indian, a football player, and a bully the fact that he was Indian wouldn't have stood out. I just got the feeling that they wrote the part specifically for a race. Liz could have been black, white, whatever and she still would have been a horribly written character same with Michelle.
Old 07-18-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

In this film, Peter was in a science and technology school for smart kids. Dumb jock Flash would have been out of place in this environment.
Old 07-18-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-18-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I agree that the diverse cast had little to do with how shallow some of the characters are. But despite the shallowness I think they did a great job.

The number one priority here was re re establishing Spider-Man and Peter which they did. Much of the movie is focused on him, naturally, which didn't leave a ton of time for the supporting cast. Flash was a joke and little more than comic relief but to be honest it's not like he's particularly memorable in any of the other films, and there was really no time to develop some complex bullying plot line that would do justice to the term in this day and age. Liz's main role was to get us to the Parker/Vulture dynamic, which it set up really well (and in terms of diverse casting that was definitely intentional and added a lot to the "twist"). Prowler had to be black, even if we never get a Miles Morales film. As for Michelle... well, that was set up, I guess.

It's like everyone wanted more Iron Man in their Spider-Man, and when he pretty much takes over Uncle Ben's role and squeezes out time that could have been spent on the side characters there's a lot of complaints, and yet most still love the fact RDJ was in this movie.

Most magnet schools at least around here don't have football teams. Not sure about Queens though.
Old 07-18-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by timber
the farther i get away from this movie the worse i think it was. I still enjoyed holland and keaton but not much else. I hope it's just that marvel studios phoned it in since it wasn't really their movie, or there was too much sony interference or anything really to explain why they made such an uninspired movie.
+1
Old 07-18-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Maybe they could have spent the time actually working on the script for those characters rather than spending time figuring out what ethnicity they wanted to change those characters to and how they would change the personalities and characteristics of the characters.
Do you actually think that the casting and the writing were done by the same person?
Old 07-18-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not speaking for anyone else that mentioned it too, but I don't think pointing out or noticing that it looked deliberate to cast actors of different races just to mix things up equates to "whining" about it or assumes that I must want more white actors cast in all of those roles. It was just an observation. Someone mentioned Power Rangers before, and I had the same thought of "oh, they needed an asian guy, a black guy, a hispanic girl, etc..."

You guys are so obnoxious
I don't mind the diversity.. if they were cast as different characters not based upon any that were already established in the source material.
Old 07-18-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Do you actually think that the casting and the writing were done by the same person?
Of course not, but the producers and writers have to spend a significant amount of time brainstorming changes like that before casting can be done.

That extra time would have been better spent punching up the script itself since the supporting characters sucked so much.
Old 07-18-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean if they had just continued to honor the source material and not try to reinvent the wheel for PC and marketing reasons? Maybe they could have spent the time actually working on the script for those characters rather than spending time figuring out what ethnicity they wanted to change those characters to and how they would change the personalities and characteristics of the characters. They clearly spent a fair amount of time re-imagining all those characters rather than spending that time trying to make the characters interesting.
So then you agree then, that the problem was not the ethnicity of the actors in their roles, but rather how thin and underwritten those roles were to begin with?

Ergo, "forced diversity" wasn't the problem.
Old 07-18-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I agree that the diverse cast had little to do with how shallow some of the characters are. But despite the shallowness I think they did a great job.

The number one priority here was re re establishing Spider-Man and Peter which they did. Much of the movie is focused on him, naturally, which didn't leave a ton of time for the supporting cast. Flash was a joke and little more than comic relief but to be honest it's not like he's particularly memorable in any of the other films, and there was really no time to develop some complex bullying plot line that would do justice to the term in this day and age. Liz's main role was to get us to the Parker/Vulture dynamic, which it set up really well (and in terms of diverse casting that was definitely intentional and added a lot to the "twist"). Prowler had to be black, even if we never get a Miles Morales film. As for Michelle... well, that was set up, I guess.
yep, I didn't go to see a Spider Friends movie I went to see a Spider-Man movie and on that this movie finally delivered
Old 07-18-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

So then you agree then, that the problem was not the ethnicity of the actors in their roles, but rather how thin and underwritten those roles were to begin with?

Exactly.

I for one had zero interest in seeing the same Flash and MJ/Gwen. We had that in two separate movie franchises. I wanted something different from Spider-Man, and a more modern take on a story first written when everyone was white is fine.

I also had no problems with the writing of their scenes. I thought they were a fun group of kids to follow and gave us a bigger number of people for Peter to interact with than we got with either the Maguire or Garfield movies.
Old 07-18-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I have zero interest in all that extra miles morales stuff (I stop collecting/reading comics way before that story line was introduce) and dont care how they changed Flash/MJ.
Old 07-18-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it was. Because they spent their time unwisely. Rather than spending enough time to punch up the supporting characters so that they were NOT lame they spent time trying to reinvent the wheel and be inclusive.

They clearly didn't have enough time to do both.
Old 07-18-17, 03:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That doesn't make sense. There were no references to the ethnicity of any of the characters except Aunt May. You could swap out any of the actors with a white actor and it would work just the same way. These are issues with the script that have nothing to do with "inclusiveness".
Old 07-18-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
That doesn't make sense. There were no references to the ethnicity of any of the characters except Aunt May. You could swap out any of the actors with a white actor and it would work just the same way. These are issues with the script that have nothing to do with "inclusiveness".
That just points out how they needed to spend that time on the script rather than figuring out the new ethnicities and characteristics of the characters. They didn't spend their time wisely.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.