Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/23/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

Originally Posted by robin2099
I'm up to episode four now. It's alright. I think Alison Brie is miscast as the lead.
She's the girl who has ambition and drive but doesn't really have the talent to back it up. She's pretty much Diane Chambers from Cheers. A woman taking a job she knows she is above, and then finds out she isn't even good enough for it.

I really like this show. Any complaints I have are nitpicks. And if Mark Maron ever wants to start acting for real, he's made with this show. He is outstanding.
Old 06-26-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

I would never have guessed she would become the Ninotchka character from the original GLOW.
Old 06-26-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Liking it so far after the first ep.

Brie seems to be channeling Kristen Wiig.
Looks and voice.
Old 06-26-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I binged it in one day. Betty Gilpin was the star of this IMO. She is simply gorgeous and made me want to keep watching. It was fun and pretty much exactly what it was expected to be.
Old 06-26-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked up Betty Gilpins screencaps from Nurse Jackie and WOWZA!

This is the first thing Marc Maron has ever done that I liked him in. He is absolutely fantastic in this.
Old 06-26-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

They did a great job casting Maron. He really fits the part and has great chemistry with the cast of ladies.
Old 06-26-17, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
They did a great job casting Maron. He really fits the part and has great chemistry with the cast of ladies.
I don't know if it is just me or not, but I think part of the reason he is so good in this is that he is basically playing himself, the exact same character as his Maron TV show on IFC.
Old 06-28-17, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was pretty forgettable. I'm also not sure why they bothered to use the GLOW name if they aren't making a docudrama about GLOW. All the characters and events are completely fictionalized, so why not just call it something else? And I agree completely about Allison Brie's character. It was a huge mistake having the main character be such an unlikeable person. Betty Gilpin should have been the lead instead.
Old 06-28-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Alison Brie's faux Russian accent had me rolling as did her Russian inspired moves like the "bread line," "potato soup," and my favorite, "vodka for breakfast."

Old 06-28-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joliom
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was pretty forgettable. I'm also not sure why they bothered to use the GLOW name if they aren't making a docudrama about GLOW. All the characters and events are completely fictionalized, so why not just call it something else?
Because everyone will just say "It's just like G.L.O.W."

And it wasn't completely fictionalized. They had some of the same characters but with different names. And they did practice in an old smelly gym. And they weren't told it was for a wrestling tv show.
Old 06-28-17, 10:34 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I binged it in one day. Betty Gilpin was the star of this IMO. She is simply gorgeous and made me want to keep watching. It was fun and pretty much exactly what it was expected to be.
it finally dawned on me that she also plays Sherlock's austistic love interest Fiona on Elementary.
Old 06-28-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

How much screen time does Ellen Wong get? I fell in love with her after Scott Pilgrim, and actually met her at a party a few months later. Easily the most down-to-earth celebrity I've ever met.
Old 06-28-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
And they did practice in an old smelly gym. And they weren't told it was for a wrestling tv show.
And when they were really told, 1/3 to 1/2 really did get up and leave.
Old 06-28-17, 11:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty enjoyable so far, Maron is perfect for the role.

"Salty 'The Sack' Johnson"
Old 06-28-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
How much screen time does Ellen Wong get? I fell in love with her after Scott Pilgrim, and actually met her at a party a few months later. Easily the most down-to-earth celebrity I've ever met.
Not a lot, she's always there in the background and she gets a few minutes here and there in character, but out of all the wrestler girls she gets some of the fewest screen time I think.
Old 06-28-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
not sure why they bothered to use the GLOW name if they aren't making a docudrama
Hollywood loves to use some sort of known property to spin stories off. That's how we ended up with a movie based off the Battleship board game and movies like World War Z that had little to nothing to do with the book.

there is a low budget documentary on GLOW but I don't remember where I saw it, odds are it was netflix too. That said I'm ok with this version of GLOW too being I watched the real thing back in the day. This show does a good job capturing the cheesy nature of the show.

I can remember tuning in with the hope of getting kind of sexy girl fights but then some eps were, well lets just say not every character was the Farmer's Daughter or Hollywood and Vine.

I'm guessing this show was kind of cheap to make and it should be easy to bring in new girls for other story lines. I'm guessing it gets a 2nd season with out much issues. It's no sense8 and it's 9 million per an ep costs or anything.
Old 06-28-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, of the stuff Netflix has canceled lately, one was poorly reviewed and ignored (Girlboss), and three were hugely expensive (Sense8, Marco Polo and the $120m Get Down)
Old 06-28-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not a lot, she's always there in the background and she gets a few minutes here and there in character, but out of all the wrestler girls she gets some of the fewest screen time I think.
I feel she's the most sterotyped stereotype. And not just her wrestling persona Fortune Cookie. But to make her so into birthday party planning? Really?

Same for the Indian gal. Not sure what to make of her. She's an actress since she knows about auditioning, but is that a side gig for all the studying she's doing in her free time?
Old 06-28-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I feel she's the most sterotyped stereotype. And not just her wrestling persona Fortune Cookie. But to make her so into birthday party planning? Really?
Is this an Asian stereotype? I have never heard of this before.
Old 06-28-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I've also never heard of that stereotype.
Old 06-28-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

And for the record, I'm a roller derby referee in real life, and players choose persona quite similar to wrestlers. One Asian American skater goes by the name of Misfortune Cookie. So it ain't so far fetched...
Old 06-28-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

They have Stan Bush's Dare (from Transformers the Movie... the good one) playing over a training montage. Can't get more 80s nostalgic than that.
Old 06-28-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Is this an Asian stereotype? I have never heard of this before.
Me neither, it didn't strike me as offensive (being Asian myself).

Originally Posted by fujishig
They have Stan Bush's Dare (from Transformers the Movie... the good one) playing over a training montage. Can't get more 80s nostalgic than that.
I loved that part so much, probably one of my favorite scenes from the entire show. I immediately thought of Transformers.
Old 06-28-17, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

That episode is my favorite (so far, still haven't finished it). With the three favorite Americans line and the ref yelling at Zoya in the ring. Then the very confusing end of kayfabe to end their first live match.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-28-17 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
there is a low budget documentary on GLOW but I don't remember where I saw it, odds are it was netflix too. That said I'm ok with this version of GLOW too being I watched the real thing back in the day.
Yes, it's on Netflix. It was made in 2012. They interview a lot of the original ladies. They even wound up having a reunion with a lot of them. It's worth checking out if you liked the series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.